Which to purchase Ford Edge or Nissan Murano ?

Dan Burke

After reading several articles comparing the 2015 Ford Edge and Nissan Murano it is really to close to call. MotorTrend picks the Murano and Cars,com pick the Edge but both are really very close in all the comparisons. Just wondering if anyone recently had a similar debate on the two. Going to Ford dealership tomorrow and looking to trade my 2013 Rav 4 Limited. Not really dissatisfied with the Rav but the only ding is the ride tends to be a little stiffer mainly due to short wheel base.

I welcome any suggestions or comments.

Thank You

Western Slope Dan

You're kidding, right? The 2015 Murano is built in Mississippi not Japan. And even the Edge is only 65% domestic content. Globalization is the standard in the industry these days. The Toyota Camry just passed the Ford F-150 at the top of the "American Made" list this year. In fact, the new F-150 fell completely out of the list of vehicles with at least 75% domestic content. That list now has only seven vehicles including the Camry and the Honda Odyssey along with several General Motors products. So two vehicles from Japanese companies have more domestic content than ANY Ford product currently made. It's time to give up 70-year-old prejudices.

Actually, much of the sales profits of "foreign" companies does stay in the US. The companies are usually set up as subsidiaries that maintain their own accounting and profit/loss statements. It is true that Japanese and other foreign manufacturers pay dividends to their shareholders who mostly live in their home countries just as the majority of shareholders of American companies live in the US. But aside from dividends and stock valuation, most of the profits earned here are reinvested in the companies here.

The impact of auto manufacturing being done here goes way beyond just the company's profits. They create thousands of jobs for Americans and they also buy products from local companies generating even more money into our economy and more jobs. The home country of the brand name is not nearly the big factor in choosing to support our economy as it was even as recently as ten or fifteen years ago. "Buy American" (in the auto industry) is becoming increasingly difficult to define.

• Like 1

My cousin and I recently swapped vehicles. I drove his 2014 Murano, and he drove my 2013 edge SEL. I found that putting around town, driving local same roads going to the same locations same speed etc... I found the Murano to be better on gas mileage. On the highway the mileage was pretty simmilar.

I actually enjoy the way the Edge handles over the Murano. They are very simmilar vehicles. If you can get the sport the sport trumps it hands down.

I Like Larry's thinking ! I know most of the Japanese cars are built in the states, but who reaps the profits ? If considering a Edge Sport, why not do

what I did 4 years ago---------------------> bit the bullet, and got a MKX, happy as a pig in ________! :love_shower:

I agree. If you're getting up there in cost with a loaded Edge Sport it's definitely worth looking at the MKX. Just drove a new MKX the other day and it's really really nice. I had to turn in my 2013 MKX a few months ago and am now back to driving my 2011 Edge. I miss the Lincoln. :(

Edited by fishx65

I agree. If you're getting up there in cost with a loaded Edge Sport it's definitely worth looking at the MKX.

My opinion is the opposite, a fully loaded Edge Sport (AWD, 401A, Adaptive Cruise, Vista roof...etc) is for around $45K, while an MKX with the 2.7, AWD, 102A, Adaptive Cruise, Technology Package...etc, (to get the same equipment level of a loaded Edge Sport), costs ~$54K, though you get a little more with that MKX. A loaded MKX tops $63K! There is about $9K difference between the Edge Sport & MKX.

Prices are from the build & price sites of both cars.

• 5 weeks later...

I had this same debate! I previously drove 2007 Rav4 limited V6. I test drove the Murano (loved the 360 degree camera, and all features that came with top package). The interior was really nice but my husband thought the leather material 'was too soft'. I ended up going with the edge (Titanium V6). I really wanted the sport but couldn't find it in my market in AWD in any color but black, which I didn't want. I also did not like the Sport interior or seat feel (to me it was less comfortable). So Titanium V6 AWD in white with cognac interior did the trick. It has 302a package (so front /back camera and side sensors) so I don't feel I'm missing to much in regard to Murano features. I feel like the drive is better also. Seems faster to me at Red light start. Finally, I rented an AWD titanium (2.0l turbo) for a week in Colorado and loved it. So I felt really confident. So far no regrets!!