Tail light Condensation

Not taking sides, but "external impact" could be more than another car bumping into yours. If could be a kid with a baseball bat or stone. It could be a shopping cart in a grocery parking lot (had a friend have this happen to him, wind blew a cart across lot and cracked his taillight, had store manager review on outside camera and was able to claim on insurance).

What model & year do you own?

Reason I ask is, 07-10 goes for $45 (free shipping) & 11-14 for $120 (free shipping) on Ebay. May be easier to bite the bullet and replace yourself.

Item # 371660025470 for 07-10

Item # 161104912612 for 11-14

May not be exactly what you need, but a quick search should turn one up. Hope your able to find a cheap replacment.

Edited by enigma-2

• 2 months later...

I just washed my Edge today for the 2nd time [2 weeks old]. I noticed quite a bit of condensation on the inside of the tail light lenses, this doesn't seem like a good thing to me. Has anyone else noticed this ? I did see quite a few comments about this in another forum. Has Ford offered to do anything to fix this problem ?

I may have answered my own question. I just looked in my Owners Manual on page 79, it mentions that very thing about condensation in exterior lamps. They claim that condensation is a natural occurrence, according to Ford a fine mist is acceptable. It's only when there is a puddle inside or there are streaks, drip marks or large droplets that they will then check it out. It seems that they already knew of this problem and went ahead and put a disclaimer in the manual, way to go Ford. I traded in a 2008 Explorer that never did any such thing. My wife has a 2010 Escape that also is condensation free. I can't remember any of my previous vehicles ever doing this. Yet Ford is saying this is a natural thing to have happen. I'm not feeling the love for Ford right now.

Edited by 2008explorer
  • Like 1

I was just driving behind an SEL (presumably a 2015) and the light bar portion of the tail lights was FULLY fogged up. The side parts of the tail lights didn't seem to have the problem. Wow I'll have to keep an eye on this, because I had a 2013 Subaru BRZ and tail light condensation was a HUGE problem with that vehicle (and they too had a disclaimer that it was a natural occurrence - yeah well many owners had huge puddles in their lights).

If you have a 2016 like I do, all the info about this problem is on page 79 of your owners manual, Ford has a way with words about this natural occurrence ?

I do have a 16, and have seen the manual. However I don't have this issue. It rained hard here today for 3 hours straight, when I left work I checked. Couldn't see a drop inside or any condensation(it had stopped raining that time). I've also never noticed it after doing a power wash type self wash station and drying car off after.

• Like 1

Mine usually fogs up a bit with temperature changes. If it is hot out and I wash it the light bar and tails will have some fogginess on the inside of the lenses... likewise during winter the exhaust will cause the tails to fog up if it idles long enough. Warm exhaust + chilly outside temp will result in foggy tails until they warm up.

• 1 month later...

I have a new 2016 took in home from the dealer and the next morning both outside tail lights had condensation in them!

I live in Canada and it does get cold at night.

No other lights just the two outside ones. (if the back door is open the two light that you see)

I took photos and sent them to the dealer. They told me that when it gets bad, like water in them then and only then they can do something about it.

They said it was normal? ( why only those lights and not the rest?

So, now I to watch my tail lights if I want them replaced.

2016 Edge SEL AWD V6 Magnetic Metallic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...