2015-16 Bumper Protector.....What do you have?

I have a few scratches on my bumper from taking my bike in/out of the back. I looked at the Ford bumper cover and it won't help since I need something to protect the lip of the bumper. I read here some people using the Scion XB protector on their Edges that were the past generation.

So has anyone tried the xB on a 2015+ model yet?

What I did was to take a beach towel that was long enough to cover the entire width of the back hatch / bumper and doubled it to half its width. I then tucked one doubled edge into the storage area under the storage hatch (not too tight a fit) with enough towel left out to completely cover the back bumper cover. It's anchored in place by the storage hatch cover and it is just a matter of flipping it in place when needed or flipping it back when not needed. Great for allowing the dog to jump in after a romp at the local dog park with no worry about big dog paws (read claws) messing up the bumper. What ever you use make sure that the material you use if clear of the hatch when closing. If it is left over the latch points the hatch will / can get stuck. Don't ask me how I know... :doh:

• 1 month later...

Found this with a Google search:

https://accessories.ford.com/rear-bumper-protector-8958.html

That one says Explorer but there are ones for the Edge

i had that on my 2009 edge. it leaves the edge of the bumper exposed and that's where you get chips and scratches. not good.

weather tech has a liner with bumper protection that rolls out. i haven't tried it but it looks like a decent solution.

http://www.weathertech.com/ford/2015/edge/cargo-liner/

I just got the ford one, granted it was a free toss in from dealer as the exact same model I test drove had it and mine did not. They couldn't understand why I was making a fuss for it.

If car A has something and you are trying to sell me but I don't like the color... And Car B is literally identical minus an accessory add on, I don't think it's absurd to request that car b matches car A's accessories when the window stickers are identical!

I'm assuming it's still better than nothing being there correct?

My wife just got a '17 escape too and the entire inside bumper area is plastic when the door is open. This was my deciding factor on her car becoming the "dog mobile" :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looks nice 2Fast. I may end up hauling stuff in the back so I wanted that extra protection on the outer lip. I couldn't tell you how many times someone helped me put stuff in my old SUV and bam right into the top edge of the bumper. Wish I had a pic to show that. There was a few times I had to do it myself and ended up messing up the bumper too. Then again my old car was just that, an old car and kind of a beater. I am sure with my Edge I will be more careful at least until it's paid for....haha.

I did want to get the OEM version at first, I like the look of it, but functionally for me personally it would probably not protect the area that is my biggest concern. When I see mine it does not look much like an add-on. The lip originally had a 90degree angle, but I put it up a little higher so the protector lip would conform better to the 45 degree angle of the bumper lip. Probably also helped that I left both in the sun for awhile so they were nice and warm by the time I installed it.

Looks nice 2Fast. I may end up hauling stuff in the back so I wanted that extra protection on the outer lip. I couldn't tell you how many times someone helped me put stuff in my old SUV and bam right into the top edge of the bumper. Wish I had a pic to show that. There was a few times I had to do it myself and ended up messing up the bumper too. Then again my old car was just that, an old car and kind of a beater. I am sure with my Edge I will be more careful at least until it's paid for....haha.

I did want to get the OEM version at first, I like the look of it, but functionally for me personally it would probably not protect the area that is my biggest concern. When I see mine it does not look much like an add-on. The lip originally had a 90degree angle, but I put it up a little higher so the protector lip would conform better to the 45 degree angle of the bumper lip. Probably also helped that I left both in the sun for awhile so they were nice and warm by the time I installed it.

The one you bought is the way to go. I have a White 15 and haul my bike in the cargo area all the time. I now have 3 scratches on the bumper from the pedal hitting when pulling it out. I try my best to not touch the bumper, but sometimes sh*t happens. With the OEM version, those scratches would still be where they are right now. With the one you bought......it would have never happened. I will be getting one.

And below the paint is black on the bumper. So those scratches are very visible.

Edited by WingNut

Yep those bike pedals will get you every time! I know because I had a few on my old car as well.

You know if you find a pair of thick wool socks put them over the pedals when hauling the bikes they help.

Another thing would be to cut out a piece of foam to fit over the pedal closest to the car. Foam is cheap and easy to carve out with a utility knife.