Tire Recommendations Would Be Much Appreciated

tamugrad2013

Good Morning I am going to be getting new tires on the Edge here in the next few weeks I'm down to 3/32'nds in the rear and 2/32nd's in the front. So I figured once I get moved and situated I will buy new tires. I will only buy tires from Discount Tire, because I have never had anything but awesome service from more that 6 different locations. So I just wanted to know some input on quality tires that are not to pricey. I'm thinking from 160 to 190 per tire. I really prefer comfort to sporting and definitely all season. The Michelin Latitude X Green tires that came new when I brought the car have been ok, but haven't lasted as long as I would like only about 52,000 miles so far (This is partly my fault for not getting them rotated as often as I should). I had a previous set of Yokohama tires on my Monte Carlo and I had almost 4 years on them and 85,000 miles before I had to replace them. I just wanted some input. These are the ones I am leaning towards so far.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=0&rcz=79762&ar=60&rf=true&rd=18&rc=TXOINT&cs=245&dVeh=dVeh&ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&tc=YOKRHI&yr=2012&pc=24269&vid=020482

As WWWPerfA_ZNOW stated, look on tirerack.com, especially at the user ratings.

Afterwards you can have the tires shipped to Discount Tire as they are an authorized dealer for TireRack.

I did this with my local Ford/Lincoln dealer and they matched price + got $200 debit card back in mail from ford + $25 for using my Ford credit card!!!

I had the Yokohama Spec X and got 24 thousand miles out of them....very disappointed !

I got Toyo Proxes S/T on my Edge SPORT and they are holding up very well....I love these tires

I feel that with Michelin tires (which are good) you pay for the name more then the tire itself

I currently have the Toyo Versado CUV 245/60R18 on my 2009 and liked them better then the stock Michelin Latitude Tour HP's that came OE. I also need new tires and would like to save some cash mainly care about a smooth/quite ride with good winter traction. If you go to Tire Rack and look at their cheapest tire for the Edge, it is a "SUMITOMO HTR A/S P02 High Performance All-Season" tire that is highly rated and a best seller at $97.23 each. Does anyone have these and can comment on them? Note, I have 60K miles on my Toyo's (they are only rated a 50K tire), and they need to be changed.

If you can make it to Labor day you may see some good deals at Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct. I have a set of Yokohama YK 580's on my 2011 SEL that I picked up from DTD for $264.00 shipped to my door. I've only got about 10,000 on the YK's and they seem pretty good so far. Nice ride with a little road noise and they handled Michigan's mild winter just fine. I wanted to go with the Michelins again but felt that $250.00 per tire was a wee bit steep for the old SEL.

I went with the Pirelli P7 tires from Tire Tack. Even Ford could not match the price. Every set of Michelin tires I've had were terrible for tire wear. When I was in Law Enforcement, when he took delivery of new police cars, we immediately had the OEM tires removed and replaced with Michelins. They were great and we were getting high mileage off them. I think, just like most things, the quality isn't there anymore.

So far the Pirelli's are a much better ride. I don't know how they are in the snow. I have dedicated snow tires and rims.

It's not quality at all. Softer tires grip the road better and ride smoother. The trade off is they also wear faster. Some Michelins will last longer than others. Personally I'd rather have better performance and comfort than high mileage. I would never want a tire that lasted 80k miles. Roads also make a big difference.

• Like 1

Ford advised at my last oil change that my tires are nearing their final miles. Checked Tirerack.Com for my car (2009 MKX, AWD) and the overall best choice (all over 9.0 for all ratings) was the Michelin Premium LTX @ $265/each. I believe that will will be the tire I will go with. (At least for now). Willing to pay more for better performance, smoothness and quiet.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Good Morning I am going to be getting new tires on the Edge here in the next few weeks I'm down to 3/32'nds in the rear and 2/32nd's in the front. So I figured once I get moved and situated I will buy new tires. I will only buy tires from Discount Tire, because I have never had anything but awesome service from more that 6 different locations. So I just wanted to know some input on quality tires that are not to pricey. I'm thinking from 160 to 190 per tire. I really prefer comfort to sporting and definitely all season. The Michelin Latitude X Green tires that came new when I brought the car have been ok, but haven't lasted as long as I would like only about 52,000 miles so far (This is partly my fault for not getting them rotated as often as I should). I had a previous set of Yokohama tires on my Monte Carlo and I had almost 4 years on them and 85,000 miles before I had to replace them. I just wanted some input. These are the ones I am leaning towards so far.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=0&rcz=79762&ar=60&rf=true&rd=18&rc=TXOINT&cs=245&dVeh=dVeh&ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&tc=YOKRHI&yr=2012&pc=24269&vid=020482

Checkout the Tire Rack price for this $143.00 vs $170.00.

Interesting.... when I decided on the P7s Ford dealer flatly reused to match Tire Racks price. But then, not all Ford dealers are equal. I presented a Ford coupon for a set of wiper blades right off of the dealers website and the parts manager refused to sell them at the coupon price. He said that he couldn't make any money at that price. I walked away. Less than two weeks later I bought my Edge Ti at another dealer about 5 miles away.

I went back to the dealer who reused price match and the sale of the wipers and sat down with the GM. I explained the issues with him and then showed him my new Edge. He was dumbfounded and said this should have never happened. I also wrote to Ford about this, so far......all I hear is crickets.

Edited by Hermans

Ford offered me a price matching deal. Didn't save any money but. But Ford acquired, mounted & balanced, and stands behind them. As well as keeping track of them. 80,000 mile Bridgestone Dueler, (well see about that 80,000).

Burke

These are the tires I'm currently running. Great tire, wears well, still fairy quiet 2/3's through its life. Don't expect to actually get 80k however.