Edge ST MPG

jamie1073

4 hours ago, benk016 said:

I've tracked my mileage in Fuelly since purchase at 3 miles. So far my best tank was 20.05mpg. Lowest was 18.32mpg. I am currently at 2200 Miles. I have always ran Premium gas in it so far, Except for one tank I did 87 no ethanol which gave no change in MPG, but the car didn't seem as peppy on the throttle. 

Fuelly shows my average at 18.9 and the car shows 20.2. 

Normally I will reset trip A with each fillup, and its usually 1mpg higher average than what fuelly reports. 

Mine was off about the same amount, but after reading an earlier post from  omar302  on 4/19   I reset my AFE to 920 and now the ST agrees very close to Fuelly on each refuel.

Mine also has been averaging about 20 mpg on regular fuel 19.2 to 20.5  and I am currently at 3,246 miles.   I did try premium on two tanks early on but did not notice any difference.

• Like 1

I am also using Fuelly since I got my ST and now have about 2800 miles and averaging 22.3mpg in combination city/hwy driving. Best mpg was 23.9. This has all been on regular gas. My last daily driver was a Fusion Hybrid that averaged 47mpg over 40K miles, so I am still in withdrawal pains from doubling my time at the gas pumps! I guess I must be a lot easier on the gas pedal than most. Its a peppy SUV and we are enjoying it. Looking forward to a road trip to see how she does. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It seems as though this thread died - but I discovered the forum only today and just read all 7 pages of this topic.  Wondered how you're currently making out, @jamie1073

I live in NEPA - cold winters and lots of hills.  I drive 60 miles round trip to work 5 days a week, typically driving between 75-85 mph (on roads with speed limits of 45-55 mph.... shhhhh, yes, I know my time is coming).  I am a RIDICULOUSLY aggressive driver, which I know affects gas mileage.  I currently have a little over 7k miles on it, and my average MPG is around 23 running 87 octane gas (now, since I'm not remote starting during the winter - then the average was around 22).  I ran 3 tanks of 93 octane about a thousand miles ago, and MPG only bumped up to 24, and I honestly did not notice any performance improvement at all - so I'm back to 87 again. 

4 minutes ago, SweetAnnie said:

It seems as though this thread died - but I discovered the forum only today and just read all 7 pages of this topic.  Wondered how you're currently making out, @jamie1073

I live in NEPA - cold winters and lots of hills.  I drive 60 miles round trip to work 5 days a week, typically driving between 75-85 mph (on roads with speed limits of 45-55 mph.... shhhhh, yes, I know my time is coming).  I am a RIDICULOUSLY aggressive driver, which I know affects gas mileage.  I currently have a little over 7k miles on it, and my average MPG is around 23 running 87 octane gas (now, since I'm not remote starting during the winter - then the average was around 22).  I ran 3 tanks of 93 octane about a thousand miles ago, and MPG only bumped up to 24, and I honestly did not notice any performance improvement at all - so I'm back to 87 again. 

My mileage has got a little better.  Last tank, I just filled today, was 17.3 according to the Fuely app and 18.2 on the computer for the tank.  My average is us to 17.2 on the computer and 16.2 according to the app.  Seems to get in 22-24 range with the cruise set at 75.  I run only 93 and the temps have gone up a bit, in the 50-60 range now.  I have almost 6000 miles on it now and I accelerate pretty much 3/4 to full throttle every chance I get because I like to.  But most of my trips are to work and back so roughly a 8-9 miles trip and I do that 4 times a day.  It does do nicely on the highway and now that it is at least in the 17 range I am less irritated, I do wish it got what the computer states but oh well.  Sounds like you are doing pretty good for your trip.  And 87 is fine, I notice more boost due to less knock detected so I run that.  These EcoBoost engines run the timing up then slide back at knock to get the best performance, it does not hurt it.  I run 93 because I was used it to from the Focus because it was tuned for either 93 or 91, two maps. 

19 minutes ago, Rimcrim said:

Yeah I don't know what you expected if you're always flooring it. 17-18mpg in that case seems fine.

I was getting 14 so yes that is better.  And I only floor it to get top speed so that is not a whole lot of the time.  As stated long ago, I admitted to flooring it.  Just that in previous vehicles I got right at city mileage or slightly better.  But when I first got her it was 14 so yeah a 3+mpg gain is big considering I drive the same exact way in every vehicle I have ever owned.  Just was disappointing since my brother has an F150 with the same engine and gets 22.  I honestly have never gotten below the rating on any car.  I normally got better mileage cruising at 75 than the highway mileage even.  Like I said Oh Well. 

Edited by jamie1073

On 5/7/2019 at 1:45 PM, gthims said:

Mine was off about the same amount, but after reading an earlier post from  omar302  on 4/19   I reset my AFE to 920 and now the ST agrees very close to Fuelly on each refuel.

Mine also has been averaging about 20 mpg on regular fuel 19.2 to 20.5  and I am currently at 3,246 miles.   I did try premium on two tanks early on but did not notice any difference.

Help me here, what is AFE?  How do u reset it? My car is optimistic on mpg. I also use Fuelly. Would like to get the car closer. Thanks

I can't be bothered with an app, so I'm going by the cars display for fuel mileage. I'm happy with getting 23... Having said that, I have no doubt that if I drove like a normal person and not a race car driver, I'd be pulling 25+.   But if I wanted to drive like a normal person, I would've bought a normal car,  ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EdgeST said:

Help me here, what is AFE?  How do u reset it? My car is optimistic on mpg. I also use Fuelly. Would like to get the car closer. Thanks

I think a lot of the 2019's are off or maybe just all the models.  There is a post somewhere that states a Ford Employee found that it was off and that Ford acknowledged it with the EPA but no specific vehicles are mentioned other than the Ranger.  Mine does not seem as off as it was before so I have no idea, it was around 1.4-1.5 mpg over and now it is 1.1-1.2 over.  So yeah the computer makes it sound great, even my instant says I am in the lower 20's pretty much every time I am cruising along on m,y daily commute.  So it must just drink gas when you go from stop to 55-65 or from 20-65, mostly flooring it.  Which happens twice during my drive.  I bought it to have fun so now that I know what others are getting I feel better.  I posted on an Sport/ST Facebook group and those people get in the 16-17 range driving it like I do.  And mine went up about 2mpg sine the trans TSB and the weather got warmer.  Also seems to have gone up since I stopped trying to drive it nicely and drive it the way I normally would.  It was worse when I babied it. 

Edited by jamie1073

My average on the computer is no 22.2 MPG, I am almost exclusively highway driving, in the 70-75 mph range. Fuelly confirms a slightly higher per trip MPG, but I guess that makes sense for the average on the computer to slowly be increasing. Fuelly did calculate about 32 MPG the other day when I drove almost a full tank at 60 MPH either flat or down hill... Pretty exciting.

54 minutes ago, JCrew7384 said:

My average on the computer is no 22.2 MPG, I am almost exclusively highway driving, in the 70-75 mph range. Fuelly confirms a slightly higher per trip MPG, but I guess that makes sense for the average on the computer to slowly be increasing. Fuelly did calculate about 32 MPG the other day when I drove almost a full tank at 60 MPH either flat or down hill... Pretty exciting.

3700 miles driven and I have averaged 22.5 mpg with a best of 23.9. I just recently dropped in an aFe dry air filter and my computer is showing higher mpg, though we shall see at the next fill up. This is all on a mix of city/highway driving. Got a trip coming up soon and will see what we do with straight hwy on several tanks. The computer is still optimistic and I am notating both readings and plan to average out and then do the change as has been indicated on the AFE portion of the computer. I use Fuelly, but would like to know that what shows on the car is correct, more than it is now. I can not imagine actually getting 32mpg nor going 60 mph, so doubt I will ever see that!

Edited by EdgeST

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

You should reset the computer average at each fillup (use trip 2 and keep trip 1 cumulative).

If you are answering my post, I have always reset the computer at each fill up. I am getting the total average from Fuelly.

Edited by EdgeST

• 1 month later...

I have been getting in the higher 17's since I got a Livernois tune.  Which I have been flooring it a lot so I am sure once I settle down on needing to get to 60 as quickly as possible it will probably go up more.  That is with Fuely, the car computer is saying high 18's now.  Hard to imagine a tune getting better mileage than the stock version.  ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Perblue said:

It's not that uncommon. Most factory tunes are tuned rich(with conservative timing and such), a lot of aftermarket tunes lean it out which makes more power and better mileage.

But you have to be careful.  Sometimes they run rich to keep the heads cool (like most first gen ecoboosts).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, akirby said:

But you have to be careful.  Sometimes they run rich to keep the heads cool (like most first gen ecoboosts).

Which is why I want an FMIC to cool Charge Air more to keep everything better.  Also probably why tuners do suggest one step colder plugs to keep detonation/knock under better control. Coming from the FoST community these are things discussed over there.  Probably not so much here because people tuning these are not taking them out rallying.  ?

Just an update to my previous post the ST now has about 11,000 miles and obviously on summer gas now. With a mix of 2 lane/expressway I can get 27 mpg routinely. The wife, who drives a bit more conservatively, has got over 30 mpg two times on a 200+ trip. One time 30.5 and another 32. I can't get those numbers but am very satisfied with the mileage vs performance.

• Like 1

Just for comparison purposes. I have a '19 Titanium 2.0. I only have about 1100 miles on it right now. I run 93 octane fuel, and I'm 75 years old and drive accordingly. I check my mileage the old fashioned way without any computer. So far I've filled up 4 times. First time 18.8mpg, second 19.2mpg, third 20.9, and fourth 23.3 (a little more highway). Now that I have 1000 miles on it, I am changing over to Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and installing a K & N air filter. I'll continue to keep track, and see where I end up.

Edited by mrmikesdeuce
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrmikesdeuce said:

I have a '19 Titanium 2.0. I only have about 1100 miles on it right now. I run 93 octane fuel, and I'm 75 years old and drive accordingly. I check my mileage the old fashioned way without any computer. So far I've filled up 4 times. First time 18.8mpg, second 19.2mpg, third 20.9, and fourth 23.3 (a little more highway). Now that I have 1000 miles on it, I am changing over to Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and installing a K & N air filter. I'll continue to keep track, and see where I end up.

You're off to a great start!  Good foundation for solid ownership for many moons to come. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...