Reason Exhaust Tips Don't Extend Further

vmaxbaby

Do you all know why Ford didn't extend the exhaust tips further through the bumper.  It is about 5 inches short of being flush with the bumper, this is from the factory and the Borla Cat Back is in the exact same location as factory.     Just thinking they could have extended the pipe a few more inches to make it flush or at least closer to the outlet of the exhaust cut out? 

3 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Go look at an Explorer ST or even the Platinum, the exhaust tips are fake.  Put your finger in one and they are blocked.  The actual exhaust exits out the bottom under the tips to keep soot down and off the tips and bumper cover. 

This is what they did with the previous generations of the Edge & Explorer as part of a TSB to fix exhaust odor that was entering then cabin at high acceleration cases.

Edit: I just remembered I posted pictures about it when it was done to my old MKX. 

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Go look at an Explorer ST or even the Platinum, the exhaust tips are fake.  Put your finger in one and they are blocked.  The actual exhaust exits out the bottom under the tips to keep soot down and off the tips and bumper cover. 

I'll look tonight, but I don't think that is the case with the Edge ST.  It looks like the pipes just end in the "tips" that are part of the bumper. 

I think the further back the pipe is the better, since you can't see the end of the pipe that way.    

4 hours ago, IWRBB said:

I'll look tonight, but I don't think that is the case with the Edge ST.  It looks like the pipes just end in the "tips" that are part of the bumper. 

I think the further back the pipe is the better, since you can't see the end of the pipe that way.    

Yes the Edge ones end about an inch into the fascia, I have no idea of why but I just was sort of assuming it had something to do with soot and keeping it off the rear of the vehicle.  Maybe air flow through that setup keeps it off the back end. 

Well as most of you know I put a borla cat back system on and it ends in the exact same place so I am going to but an extension on that will the exhaust tip end about 1 inch from the fake cut outs just to see if it changes the exhaust sound any.  I know I am bored LOL

1 hour ago, vmaxbaby said:

Well as most of you know I put a borla cat back system on and it ends in the exact same place so I am going to but an extension on that will the exhaust tip end about 1 inch from the fake cut outs just to see if it changes the exhaust sound any.  I know I am bored LOL

I  will be very interested to see if that makes a difference. I also have the borla exhaust on  my ST and after 1600 miles it has gotten a bit louder. I wouldn't call it to loud but if that makes it a little bit quieter I will do the same.

Some of us have added quad tips to extend the exhaust pipes. The tips can be installed on stock or aftermarket exhaust systems. As far as I know no one has done this to an ST yet. These are 3inch tips in the photo. I swapped them out for

3 1/2 inch tips and they look much better.  3 1/2 inch quad tips are what I recommend if you decide to do this. There is a thread on this subject here someplace for more info

DFFD0E24-45A0-495A-8FED-C42F7D825F01.jpeg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Some of us have added quad tips to extend the exhaust pipes. The tips can be installed on stock or aftermarket exhaust systems. As far as I know no one has done this to an ST yet. These are 3inch tips in the photo. I swapped them out for

3 1/2 inch tips and they look much better.  3 1/2 inch quad tips are what I recommend if you decide to do this. There is a thread on this subject here someplace for more info

Yeah I was going to do this on my Edge Sport before it got rear ended and written off (while parked), but I don't think this will work on my ST quite the same since they are now vertical cutouts.

7 minutes ago, Rimcrim said:

Yeah I was going to do this on my Edge Sport before it got rear ended and written off (while parked), but I don't think this will work on my ST quite the same since they are now vertical cutouts.

To install the tips on a Sport the chrome bezels have to be removed. Not sure on the ST if removal of the bezels will help or not 

Edited by Xtra

Ya I'm not sure what tips would look best on an St. It definitely is one of its design down falls. Maybe a quad oval like some IS-F setups or a group of 4 on each side with the bottom pair shifted slightly over from the top pair of tips, granted this would give 4 smaller tips but maybe it would look ok. It's the only thing I can imagine maybe looking right but I suck at Photoshop to even try and mock any of it up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Perblue said:

Ya I'm not sure what tips would look best on an St. It definitely is one of its design down falls. Maybe a quad oval like some IS-F setups or a group of 4 on each side with the bottom pair shifted slightly over from the top pair of tips, granted this would give 4 smaller tips but maybe it would look ok. It's the only thing I can imagine maybe looking right but I suck at Photoshop to even try and mock any of it up. 

Great catch!  There aren't to many cars out there with vertical exhaust tips, but the IS-F have aways looked good. Once the bezels are removed, I think that style would look hot on the ST!