Changing 2019 Edge's weak single horn to dual horn

On 9/1/2019 at 5:39 PM, Xtra said:

I guess people in Canada are just better drivers . I can't even begin to count the time I have had to use my horn to advert disaster here in La La Land. My horn is not working well and I am going to replace it with this duel setup. 

I wouldn’t necessarily say they are better drivers. Maybe more polite? After all, Canadians are known for being nice. Ha ha.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, Jadey girl said:

I just contacted White Oak ford re installing 2018 dual horns in my 2019 ST Edge .

35.00 for part and over 300 For labour plus Hst =  370.00. Canadian! So I won’t do it for now

I won't make assumptions of your mechanical capabilities, but that WAY TOO much to charge you for what is 15-30min of work.  This is truly a VERY easy modification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txaggie said:

I won't make assumptions of your mechanical capabilities, but that WAY TOO much to charge you for what is 15-30min of work.  This is truly a VERY easy modification.

+1.  Just follow the OP instructions.  Literally anyone with a screwdriver and very basic set of sockets can do this.

• Like 1

Great information guys.... Yes Ford wont take any responsibility for this major safety issue !!. Had my 2018 Edge Titanium horn measured against 2017 fusion , 2017 Edge and a 2012 Edge and my horn is -10DB lower in volume. That's 4 times (4) less than other REAL car horns.

Question :  I assume that the FA1Z-13832-B WILL FIT MY 2018 TITANTIUM ?   Think the video showed a 2018 Edge SE ?

Thanks everyone !

So...here is my first question for those who have made the switch:

previous users have successfully bought the "level 2" horn w/part #FA1Z-13832-B, which appears to be a "Level 2" horn for about $18.

There is a "FA1Z-13832-A" "Level 3" horn for about $28.  

What is the difference?  is the Level 3 horn louder?  Both fit the 2019 Edge.

thanks

CVCashmere

On 11/27/2019 at 9:59 AM, PaulSchott said:

I think I would try to find 1969 Cadillac horns.  Really loud and musical.  Very authoritative.  GET THE HONK OUT OF MY WAY!

$5 in You-Pull-It Caddy horns, a relay and some wiring:

Mounted inside the cover of the driver side wheel well. Lincolns are another good source for horns. Just a two horn set-up. I think stock is 4 horns with different tones. I went with a high and low that sounded good.

Edited by Brucifer
I hate this site's format.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the great video in the first posting, I was able to replace my single horn on the ST with dual horns.

It only took 3 times as long as anyone else cause I really suck at being a mechanic!  Follow the video that started this thread and you will be successful.

The original poster purchased the "Level 2" horns for about $18.  FA1Z-13832-B.  They Fiamm and made in the USA.  

I saw a listing for a "Level 3" horn for $28.  That part number is FA1Z-13832-A. They are Fiamm and made in China.  I did sterilize them to kill off the Corona virus .  (just kidding).

Are they louder than the Level 2 horn?  I don't know.  They are similar in size and appearance to the cheaper horns.

BTW...I have enclosed the actual Ford procedure for removing the headlights.  They were a help.  There is a catch underneath you free by pulling the lights forward.  I did grease the catch so that next time I change a bulb, it releases easier.

Thanks

Scan_0008.pdfScan_0008.pdf

CVCashmere

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVCashmere said:

Thanks to the great video in the first posting, I was able to replace my single horn on the ST with dual horns.

It only took 3 times as long as anyone else cause I really suck at being a mechanic!  Follow the video that started this thread and you will be successful.

The original poster purchased the "Level 2" horns for about $18.  FA1Z-13832-B.  They Fiamm and made in the USA.  

I saw a listing for a "Level 3" horn for $28.  That part number is FA1Z-13832-A. They are Fiamm and made in China.  I did sterilize them to kill off the Corona virus .  (just kidding).

Are they louder than the Level 2 horn?  I don't know.  They are similar in size and appearance to the cheaper horns.

BTW...I have enclosed the actual Ford procedure for removing the headlights.  They were a help.  There is a catch underneath you free by pulling the lights forward.  I did grease the catch so that next time I change a bulb, it releases easier.

Thanks

CVCashmere

I did mine a couple weeks ago.  The "B" part made in the USA has two FIAMM  AM80SX horns.  One marked "H"igh and the other "L"ow.  I was able to look up the specs on the FIAMM sight.     Do you know what the markings are on the "A" part (Level 3) ?

The horns appear similar to the B horns.  They are marked with a H and a L.

They seem similar in volume to my Mustang horns and good for everyday use,

CVCashmere

Thanks

CVCashmere

I'm  a new 2019 Edge Sel owner and hated the horn. Went to.my local dealer and paid apx $200 for them to replace the horn. Unfortunately the horn they put in was no different in sound. I re read the tread and saw that the recommended dual horn was actually from the 2018 model. They re ordered the horn and it sounds great. Of course no extra cost. So if others want the desired result order the part number listed on the tread, not the current year part.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much to you guys for this video & write up. My '16 has dual horns but one of them quit on me. I ordered the replacement & used the instructions in this thread to swap them out. It was so easy...literally took me 10 minutes start to finish. 

Thanks guys! 

• 2 months later...

9mmbullitt - Thank you for your video. I was very annoyed when I had to use my horn for the first time in my 2019 Edge ST and it sounded like my wife's Corolla. I am ordering a double horn in order to replace it on my ST as well. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the most excellent help!  I bought a 2018 Edge Titanium that had the wimpy single horn installed.  The video's with the part number (for the dual tone horn) made this a quick upgrade on my Edge.  Less than 30 minutes with a much more commanding sound for a vehicle of this size.  Now the fun question - - who wants to buy a single horn (used) with mounting bracket? ?

Again, thank you all for the knowledge and help.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

It took 10 or 15 minutes to install the new horns. I left the OEM bracket in place and just install the two new ones on the existing bracket. Two bolts and one plastic clip on the fender side. Wiggled the head light around to remove it, and unplugged it, setting it aside. Removed the nut from the existing horn and unplugged it. Removed both new horns for the new bracket. Plugged the lead horn in and mounted it on the lower point and then mounted the second horn on the upper point. Put the head light back in and installed the two bolts and plastic clip. Sound now sounds like it should have to start with. Shame on Ford for the single horn.

• 3 months later...

Old topic but I replaced the "Prius" horn on my 2020 ST with a set of air horns from Amazon: https://amzn.to/34KaVXp. Only $35 for the kit. Took about an hour taking my time. Hardest part was figuring out where to mount the horns. Found an existing hole on the plastic cross brace below the headlight. Was like it was meant for it. I used the factory horn mount to mount the new relay and a simple L-bracket to mount the pump. 

Horns sound amazing and scare the $hit out of errant lane changers.

2020-edge-st-air-horn-install-annotated.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...