2015 Edge oil pan issues

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Is the oil pan plastic like the f-150  I have a 2013 Edge 3.5 aluminum pan.

Larry

Yes the 2.7 has a plastic pan.  So does my 2018 F150 3.5LEB.   I think they switched back to metal on the 2019 F150. 

The issue is variation in the block but as long as they follow the repair procedure properly it's a permanent fix.  But apparently not all the dealers are doing it properly.

On a side note I love being able to do oil changes with no tools and I can modulate the oil drainage initially by how far I pull out the plastic plug - and it doesn't spill on my hand or the suspension.

• Like 1

Here is the notice sent out by Ford on how to do a proper oil pan fix. 

Apr 25 2018 6410 - 2014-2019 Various Vehicles - Equipped with a 2.7L and 3.0L GTDI Engine - Oil Pan Leak.

Some Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with a 2.7L or 3.0L EcoBoost engines may exhibit an oil leak from the engine oil pan RTV seal.

Replace the oil pan by performing the published Workshop Manual (WSM) service procedures.
1.  After removing the oil pan, it is suggested to allow the crankcase to drain overnight ** to minimize the chance of residual oil contaminating the crankcase sealing rail. 
2. Remove all traces of old RTV, clean the engine sealing surface with only Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner then wipe with Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes, and allow to air dry as directed in WSM, Section 303-00, RTV Sealing Surface Cleaning and Preparation.
3.  If possible, after the new oil pan is installed, allow the new RTV sealant to cure for 4 hours *** before refilling the engine with oil. Ford is investigating this concern. Monitor OASIS for future updates.

** This is very important. It is an easy job, you just have to take the time to do it correctly. 
*** On my car the RTV was allowed to cure overnight before oil was added . I have had no problems or leaks.
Edited by Xtra