sjskowron

Parking brake limited function

My 2016 Ford Edge Titanium had a dashboard alarm come on that showed "parking brake limited function".  This lasted for a few hours.  I tried engaging the parking brake and then releasing the parking brake.  I turned off the vehicle and started it.  That turned off the alarm for a little while, then it came on again.  I called the dealer and said that I was bringing the vehicle in so they could check it out.  The alarm stopped being displayed by the time I got to the dealer.  All was quiet for a few weeks.

Now the brake limited function alarm is back on and now it won't go off.  I called the dealer to make an appointment.  They said to bring it in the day after tomorrow.  I brought the vehicle to them as soon as I could.  I told they that I couldn't drive the vehicle anymore with the sensor alarm constantly ringing.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this?

Don't remember reading of anyone facing this before. I found this mentioned in the service manual:

image.png.732c30c4e055ac3150453a80c32a39bb.png

Was the parking switch disconnected for any reason? I also found this note:

NOTE: Anytime the parking brake switch electrical connector has been disconnected, the EPB system is deactivated and a DTC is stored in the ABS module. Perform the following step to restore the EPB system and clear the ABS module DTC.
Apply and release the parking brake twice within 5 seconds, pausing with the switch in the NEUTRAL position for approximately one ­half second between each apply and release.

• Like 2

My car started doing this about a month ago and it’s getting more frequent and worse. Today it took 15 minutes to get my parking brake to release so I could even drive. (Usually it’s just the light and alarm going off, but today my brake actually went on and stuck). It involved turning my car off and on 3 times. Good thing I wasn’t in a hurry...

Did you take yours to a dealership to get it worked on? I think that’s my next step.

any advice?

Hi Jae Jae,

I took my car to the dealership and they ordered wiring harnesses (one for each side).  Since it took a few days to get the parts and install them they gave me a free Escape rental.  It ended up costing a little over $1000 for the repair.  The problem was fixed and I've have no problems since.

• Like 1

I have this same thing happening now to mine. I have a code they gave me to put in, but I have to put it in everytime I start the car or it keeps going off. Its rather annoying. 

On 11/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, SarahMinnesota said:

I have this same thing happening now to mine. I have a code they gave me to put in, but I have to put it in everytime I start the car or it keeps going off. Its rather annoying. 

What is the code 

I am having this same issue now. Hoping to try the reset trick to see if it helps, but the parking brake does seem to be operating just fine. Odd part is, I was just washing the car yesterday, so part of me is wondering if that is playing a role here.

On 6/27/2020 at 7:00 AM, sjskowron said:

Hi Jae Jae,

I took my car to the dealership and they ordered wiring harnesses (one for each side).  Since it took a few days to get the parts and install them they gave me a free Escape rental.  It ended up costing a little over $1000 for the repair.  The problem was fixed and I've have no problems since.

Do you have record of what harnesses they replaced? I would be curious to know this so I don't have to pay the dealer a ton of money to try and diagnose the problemDo you have record of what harnesses they replaced? I would be curious to know this so I don't have to pay the dealer a ton of money to try and diagnose the problem

As an update: I took our Edge to the dealer and they found that the parking brake harness as well as the parking  brake actuator switch were bad. Total for the replacement of these is over $1k similar to what sjskowron had mentioned. 
seems like the harness and also a switch Went bad for some reason. 

I had just recently washed the car and sprayed out the wheel wells but not to a level that would damage it. 

The warning lamp tone was definitely very annoying while driving. 

edit: I will post back here with the part numbers and such that is available after I get the car back

Edited by mvan231
Update
  • Like 1

Wiring harnesses rarely go bad. Almost always it's related to corrosion in a connector. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 11:09 PM, enigma-2 said:

Wiring harnesses rarely go bad. Almost always it's related to corrosion in a connector. 

Totally agree with you. Turns out my parking brake actuator on the passenger side was also bad. 

Here is everything they ended up doing (also included the front brake hose recall they had to do) including the part numbers they replaced as well. When I looked at the wiring harness for the passenger side it seemed to have some corrosion in the connector, so I believe there was a seal that got compromised and caused this to happen. 

Some of my lug nuts were "swollen" so they had to be replaced. I hate lug nuts with caps lol

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

2016 FORD EDGE

A PERFORM RECALL 20s42 FRONT BRAKE FLEXIBLE HOSE LEAKS

20S42B RECALL 20S42

1 J2GZ*2078*A HOSE ASY - BRAKE

1 J2GZ*2078*B HOSE ASY

1 PM*20* FLUID - BRAKE

4 *W711784*s300 WASHER

87474 20S42B, 1.0 HOUR REPLACE BOTH FRONT FLEX HOSES

1 H2GZ*14A411*A JUMPER WIRING

1 H2GZ*14A411*B JUMPER WIRING

1 DG9Z*2B712*A MOTOR - ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE

1 E1GZ*2B623* CA SWITCH ASY

10 ACPZ*1012 *M NUT - WHEEL

4.0 hour 

scan has multipul dtc, park brake, and switch related, replace switch, replace rt. rear park brake actuator, replace rt. and left rear park brake wire harnesses, clear dtc, road tested

normal operation

• Like 2

i’ve been getting this error. I scheduled an appointment for my dealer in Metro Detroit, and when I show that he’s said he had to keep the car for two days before he could even diagnosis it,  I said no way. I had previously put some dielectric grease on the connectors to the parking brake motor, but that didn’t help it. 

I FOUND A WAY TO DISABLE THE CONSTANT DINGING- after you start up your vehicle let everything Boot Up, the dash and all that, then while pressing the brake with my foot I hold down the parking brake for about five seconds. I can feel the parking brake engaging as the pedal releases some pressure from my foot but I don’t let go, and I keep holding until I feel the pressure come back on my foot. I think this tells the computer to engage and disengage the parking brake. This gets it to stop the constant dinging and only a warning will show up once after I start driving. 

Edited by shift_enter