Parking brake limited function

My 2016 Ford Edge Titanium had a dashboard alarm come on that showed "parking brake limited function".  This lasted for a few hours.  I tried engaging the parking brake and then releasing the parking brake.  I turned off the vehicle and started it.  That turned off the alarm for a little while, then it came on again.  I called the dealer and said that I was bringing the vehicle in so they could check it out.  The alarm stopped being displayed by the time I got to the dealer.  All was quiet for a few weeks.

Now the brake limited function alarm is back on and now it won't go off.  I called the dealer to make an appointment.  They said to bring it in the day after tomorrow.  I brought the vehicle to them as soon as I could.  I told they that I couldn't drive the vehicle anymore with the sensor alarm constantly ringing.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this?

• Thanks 1

Don't remember reading of anyone facing this before. I found this mentioned in the service manual:

image.png.732c30c4e055ac3150453a80c32a39bb.png

Was the parking switch disconnected for any reason? I also found this note:

NOTE: Anytime the parking brake switch electrical connector has been disconnected, the EPB system is deactivated and a DTC is stored in the ABS module. Perform the following step to restore the EPB system and clear the ABS module DTC.
Apply and release the parking brake twice within 5 seconds, pausing with the switch in the NEUTRAL position for approximately one ­half second between each apply and release.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

My car started doing this about a month ago and it’s getting more frequent and worse. Today it took 15 minutes to get my parking brake to release so I could even drive. (Usually it’s just the light and alarm going off, but today my brake actually went on and stuck). It involved turning my car off and on 3 times. Good thing I wasn’t in a hurry...

Did you take yours to a dealership to get it worked on? I think that’s my next step.

any advice?

Hi Jae Jae,

I took my car to the dealership and they ordered wiring harnesses (one for each side).  Since it took a few days to get the parts and install them they gave me a free Escape rental.  It ended up costing a little over $1000 for the repair.  The problem was fixed and I've have no problems since.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am having this same issue now. Hoping to try the reset trick to see if it helps, but the parking brake does seem to be operating just fine. Odd part is, I was just washing the car yesterday, so part of me is wondering if that is playing a role here.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 7:00 AM, sjskowron said:

Hi Jae Jae,

I took my car to the dealership and they ordered wiring harnesses (one for each side).  Since it took a few days to get the parts and install them they gave me a free Escape rental.  It ended up costing a little over $1000 for the repair.  The problem was fixed and I've have no problems since.

Do you have record of what harnesses they replaced? I would be curious to know this so I don't have to pay the dealer a ton of money to try and diagnose the problemDo you have record of what harnesses they replaced? I would be curious to know this so I don't have to pay the dealer a ton of money to try and diagnose the problem

As an update: I took our Edge to the dealer and they found that the parking brake harness as well as the parking  brake actuator switch were bad. Total for the replacement of these is over $1k similar to what sjskowron had mentioned. 
seems like the harness and also a switch Went bad for some reason. 

I had just recently washed the car and sprayed out the wheel wells but not to a level that would damage it. 

The warning lamp tone was definitely very annoying while driving. 

edit: I will post back here with the part numbers and such that is available after I get the car back

Edited by mvan231
Update
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 11:09 PM, enigma-2 said:

Wiring harnesses rarely go bad. Almost always it's related to corrosion in a connector. 

Totally agree with you. Turns out my parking brake actuator on the passenger side was also bad. 

Here is everything they ended up doing (also included the front brake hose recall they had to do) including the part numbers they replaced as well. When I looked at the wiring harness for the passenger side it seemed to have some corrosion in the connector, so I believe there was a seal that got compromised and caused this to happen. 

Some of my lug nuts were "swollen" so they had to be replaced. I hate lug nuts with caps lol

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

2016 FORD EDGE

A PERFORM RECALL 20s42 FRONT BRAKE FLEXIBLE HOSE LEAKS

20S42B RECALL 20S42

1 J2GZ*2078*A HOSE ASY - BRAKE

1 J2GZ*2078*B HOSE ASY

1 PM*20* FLUID - BRAKE

4 *W711784*s300 WASHER

87474 20S42B, 1.0 HOUR REPLACE BOTH FRONT FLEX HOSES

1 H2GZ*14A411*A JUMPER WIRING

1 H2GZ*14A411*B JUMPER WIRING

1 DG9Z*2B712*A MOTOR - ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE

1 E1GZ*2B623* CA SWITCH ASY

10 ACPZ*1012 *M NUT - WHEEL

4.0 hour 

scan has multipul dtc, park brake, and switch related, replace switch, replace rt. rear park brake actuator, replace rt. and left rear park brake wire harnesses, clear dtc, road tested

normal operation

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

i’ve been getting this error. I scheduled an appointment for my dealer in Metro Detroit, and when I show that he’s said he had to keep the car for two days before he could even diagnosis it,  I said no way. I had previously put some dielectric grease on the connectors to the parking brake motor, but that didn’t help it. 

I FOUND A WAY TO DISABLE THE CONSTANT DINGING- after you start up your vehicle let everything Boot Up, the dash and all that, then while pressing the brake with my foot I hold down the parking brake for about five seconds. I can feel the parking brake engaging as the pedal releases some pressure from my foot but I don’t let go, and I keep holding until I feel the pressure come back on my foot. I think this tells the computer to engage and disengage the parking brake. This gets it to stop the constant dinging and only a warning will show up once after I start driving. 

Edited by shift_enter

• 7 months later...

Hello all. This is kind of a dead thread but I figured I’d post what I’ve found given this happened to me on my MKX. Turned out to just be the wiring harness from the vehicle to the parking brake motor. The failure message was intermittent as some on here also had. Would come on and go away and so on. Scanner displayed 2 codes in ABS module. One for parking brake malfunction and the other for left parking brake motor. For some reason the wiring in these harnesses break inside the wiring loom. See attached. This is what was found inside the wiring loom, makes sense as to why it was failing lol. Not sure how this happens but seems to be common on edges and MKX. Easy repair, around 60$ CAD per side for the new harnesses. Odds are pretty good you don’t need new actuators when this happens, especially if it is intermittent. The abs module stop seeing the motor due to the wire break or almost break which causes the code. This warning self clears when connection reestablished which is why it will go away. Codes with still be logged but light is off. If you have this problem unplug and check the harness (2 wires) for continuity between each end (if you have a multimeter). Resistance should be very low like 0.1 ohms maybe 1ohm but anything higher or and OL reading the harness is nfg and needs to be replaced. Something to try before shelling out to a dealer for some parts you may not need and at an inflated cost. 

294B7290-B384-476A-8A47-CE74DC4F93B7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not sure what the root cause of the failure is. They are not routed where they can be pinched between something and are fastened in about 4 spots in a span of just over a foot. I may have made the failure look worse while removing all the tape and wire loom to find it. It was failing intermittently before I pulled it apart so it was probably in better shape before I bent and turned it while looking for the failure.  

There's a video one youtube where a tech found the exact same problem. It's the routing. The harness is bound to the axle immediately where it extends out to the rear axle. One side of the harness is held tight, the other flexs up and down as the wheel reacts to the road. Think of it as a wire beind held tight in one end and the other being bent back and forth.

The fix is to reroute the harness so that the connection to the fixed point is further away, allows the harness to move less when the tire moves up and down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 2:22 AM, enigma-2 said:

There's a video one YouTube where a tech found the exact same problem. It's the routing. The harness is bound to the axle immediately where it extends out to the rear axle. One side of the harness is held tight, the other flexes up and down as the wheel reacts to the road. Think of it as a wire behind held tight in one end and the other being bent back and forth.

The fix is to reroute the harness so that the connection to the fixed point is further away, allows the harness to move less when the tire moves up and down. 

Same problem !  I need to check that routing before the other side fails.  Anyone have a link to that YouTube video ?

$350 out the door !  (Thank you for being a customer $20 for "shop supplies" !)

• 9 months later...

Exact same problem on my 2017 Ford Edge Titanium. Both harnesses shredded. This is not a 'wear and tear' issue that happens from regular driving, it's is faulty design & assembly issue. This should be a recall by Ford. My mechanic showed me the harnesses after and they are completely torn to bits. Absolutely ridiculous, no way should that happen if these harnesses are routed properly. Just another poor design issue by Ford, so many problems on this car it's ridiculous. Total lemon. Never buying a Ford again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vitszy said:

Exact same problem on my 2017 Ford Edge Titanium. Both harnesses shredded. This is not a 'wear and tear' issue that happens from regular driving, it's is faulty design & assembly issue. This should be a recall by Ford.

Probably wouldn't qualify as it's not a safety issue (I'm not aware of any FMVSS standard on parking brakes). Definitely a bad design however.

Wonder if you complained directly to Ford, that they would offer some assistance (inasmuch as it's obviously a design failure).

• Like 1

FMVSS 135 is for service brakes and parking brakes for light duty passenger vehicles under 3500kg. Yes, you need to have mechanical park brakes that meet certain requirements for weight, slope, surface friction, etc. I don't think that makes this an automatic inclusion for a recall, probably mostly because there is a fault displayed so you don't think you are secured by it?

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Thank you for your posts related to this issue! We have had the same issue with a 2016 Edge. The first time I had it was when the car was in a no contact car wash. Then the lights and the messages went away then came back. Thanks to Dallas 150's post and mvan231 who put the parts numbers for the wires, I decided to change the 2 wire (bought the 2 wires for less than 100$ Canadian for both) for the EPB (I did not bring the car to the dealer) last Saturday and since no more Parking brake limited functions message no alarm, no break lights on the Dashboard. The parking brake functions correctly . I did not check the old wires yet to find out where they were broken. 

It might have been more than just the wires, but it is a good thing to change the wires first before to see if the issue has been solved.

I believe Ford should ask owners to bring the cars to dealers once they have this issue and should cover the repair costs. 

Thanks again!

Edited by EDGE0208
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

On 4/21/2022 at 12:57 AM, enigma-2 said:

There are several. Here's the link to the one I was talking about. 

Sir

Watched, replaced brake harness three times! 

july 2022 replaced brake harness, Jan 2023 replaced brake harness, and going back into dealer with same issue!  Manufacturing flaw.  Any suggestions!,

Edited by Patricia