Better check that spare!

Chipster

Consider this thread as a “Heads Up”!  As a rule I am pretty good at keeping up with the changing  seasons and their effects on tire pressures. Well I thought so until I finally got around to checking my (out of sight and out of mind) spare tire. I am embarrassed to confess that I found only 20 PSI in it when I checked it. It should be no more than 60 PSI so I guess I could say that it was that. In any case if you have one, you might want to see how much air is in it and is it serviceable.  

Spare (1280x960).jpg

• Like 4

If you've had tires replaced or wheels rotated at a dealership or tire centre, make sure that the emergency lug wrench still fits the lug nuts - most places use impact wrenches and it distorts the two-piece lug nuts such that the 21mm wrench no longer fits.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

On 2/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, 1004ron said:

If you've had tires replaced or wheels rotated at a dealership or tire centre, make sure that the emergency lug wrench still fits the lug nuts - most places use impact wrenches and it distorts the two-piece lug nuts such that the 21mm wrench no longer fits.

Good tip!

Thank you for this Thread. Nice warm day with nothing to do, I checked our 2014 Edge spare tire. The pressure was 29 psi :( . I put 55 psi in it, 60 sounds like so much :) . While with the little compressor out I checked my Mustangs spare. Its been in there for 9 1/2 years and never checked :( . It was 21 psi, it's filled to 55 psi now :)

Edited by David Young

14 hours ago, David Young said:

Thank you for this Thread. Nice warm day with nothing to do, I checked our 2014 Edge spare tire. The pressure was 29 psi :( . I put 55 psi in it, 60 sounds like so much :) . While with the little compressor out I checked my Mustangs spare. Its been in there for 9 1/2 years and never checked :( . It was 21 psi, it's filled to 55 psi now :)

It needs to be 60.  I usually go 65 to have more of a buffer in case I forget to check it for awhile.  Remember that narrow tire has to support the same weight and load as the full sized tire.