2015 Ford Edge Sync 3 Upgrade

I bit the bullet and bought a Sync 3.4 upgrade kit off of ebay.  The kit included the screen, the APIM module, a usb hub, a GPS antenna, and some pry tools.  It was clear that somebody had been into the center console before as I found some clips missing some some plastic was broken.  Nothing that major and I was able to order all the proper clips from the dealer and used some glue to affix a clip.  Not a huge deal, but I wonder what they were doing?  There's clear evidence of a spilled coffee as well, so maybe the previous owners were trying to clean all the junk out of the center cup holder area? 

Anyhow, things went pretty smoothly.  I located the GPS antenna in front of the dash storage tray.  Some online video put stuck it to a location that I didn't think would hold for very long, so I laid mine flat by the speaker grill in the dash.

I have practice as I had to basically do the installation twice due to an error by the seller.

Upon initial installation, if jumped right into the car and started it immediately, I'd get a "Navigation is not functioning properly" error.  If I waited about 30 seconds before starting it, then it was fine.  The seller said they sent the wrong GPS antenna (even though it DID work after you ack'd the error).  The new antenna arrived and I had to take the dash apart again.  The new antenna is shaped slightly differently, but everything works 100%.  No issues or niggles.  Works great!

four.jpg

two.jpg

one.jpg

three.jpg

Edited by bofus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cost was $650.  All parts were brand new, the screen says made in China on the back; but, the original Sync 2 screen also said "Made in China" on it, so I'm pretty sure it's a factory part.  There were cheaper options, but this one looked legit, for some reason.  It also came with a ODB-II-to-USB cable, should they need to remotely connect to help you diagnose any problems using Teamviewer and probably a hacked version of Forscan.  I didn't need that level of support, only a different GP antenna.

All the steering wheel controls work, voice commands, climate, navigation, and audio system.  This replaced the current usb/aux/sd-card with a usb-c and usb port. That's fine, frankly. 

• Like 2

Nice job! Thats a bummer about the antenna tho, having to do it twice sucks.

Were you upgrading from sync2 or 3? I have a Flex with sync2 that I've been considering upgrading. $650 is a good price based on what I've seen when I looked into it. Did that include the seller programming the APIM for you with your VIN?

Super weird that someone spilled coffee all the way in there lol.

The coffee was around the cupholder/shifter area.  This is where the plastic clips were missing in a few places.  The center stack itself appeared untouched.

Yes, I had a Sync 2 system with Ford Touch...no car play or the Sync 3.0 stuff.  The touchscreen on Ford Touch requires actual pressure on the screen for "touch" as you have to press two panes of "plastic" together.  The new screen is capacative touch, like any modern mobile phone.  You just barely breathe on it and it registers.   This was pretty much plug-n-play, except for the initially-wrong gps antenna.  Yep, $650 included them pre-programming the APIM module as I had to submit my VIN to them upon ordering.  It took about 9 days for the screen to arrive from China to Seattle.

The directions they shipped with the unit aren't that great or specific to my vehicle, but there were a few youtube videos I watched that provided a lot of help on where the clips were located.  It's really easy.  I could pull the unit out of the dash in less than 15 minutes now without breaking anything.

If you can install a car stereo, you can do this. 

• 5 weeks later...

I just did the same hing to my 2012.  But paid a bit more for mine.  I did put the antenna on the metal cross member under the dash.  Wondering why you put the USB ports where you did?  The kit I got, the USB ports were made to replace the inputs in the center console.  It was an exact replacement.  But, to me, well worth doing!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 6:26 AM, ALLEN007 said:

I just did the same hing to my 2012.  But paid a bit more for mine.  I did put the antenna on the metal cross member under the dash.  Wondering why you put the USB ports where you did?  The kit I got, the USB ports were made to replace the inputs in the center console.  It was an exact replacement.  But, to me, well worth doing!!!

He installed the USB hub in the factory location.  They changed the placement for the hub in the 1'5-'18MY edge.  The location you are referring to within the arm rest/ center console is the factory location for the '11-'14MY edge.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Roberto DF said:

Hi.

Let me ask you about the little screen in the right side of spedoometer. Is it workink like it does with sync 2?

I have a 2013 and are thinking in do this upgrade. 

best person to ask is @onyxbfly he's done the instrument cluster (speedometer) upgrade and the sync 3.4 mod.

I have 3 Edge masks/lenses in stock. let me know

1 hour ago, Roberto DF said:

Hi.

Let me ask you about the little screen in the right side of spedoometer. Is it workink like it does with sync 2?

Everything works as intended with the exception of the AC/ climate controls. For whatever reason that option is simply not available on the Lincoln MKX cluster. As an alternative the explorer platinum IPC will also fit with one of @TXFRDOwner lenses/ mask. I do not know if the explorer platinum IPC will works with AC/ climate controls. You could drop @jmr061 a line and inquire with him. He is the OG when it comes to retrofitting IPC in the edge.

1 hour ago, Roberto DF said:

Hi.

You have a 2013, the MKX speedo upgrade refereed to in @TXFRDOwner & @onyxbfly posts wouldn't work (changing the Edge's speedo to the newer Lincoln style). I think there is a misunderstanding here. I believe your question is whether the right screen on your stock speedometer will still work after upgrading to Sync 3. In this case, yes, the screen will work with Sync 3.

1 minute ago, omar302 said:

You have a 2013, the MKX speedo upgrade refereed to in @TXFRDOwner & @onyxbfly posts wouldn't work (changing the Edge's speedo to the newer Lincoln style). I think there is a misunderstanding here. I believe your question is whether the right screen on your stock speedometer will still work after upgrading to Sync 3. In this case, yes, the screen will work with Sync 3.

Yes, you're correct. Just know if the right screen show de maps, multimidia informations, clime controls and Phone informations like it does in sync 2. Thanks everyone for the awsers. 

1 minute ago, omar302 said:

I thought about that as well, then again I thought to myself that the edge IPC has been the same since 2011. The only difference with the ST IPC is the turbo gauge.  Ultimately I agree with you. I do not think the 2015+ MKX/ Explorer Platinum IPC is compatible with the 2011-2014MY.

7 minutes ago, Roberto DF said:

Yes, you're correct. Just know if the right screen show de maps, multimidia informations, clime controls and Phone informations like it does in sync 2. Thanks everyone for the awsers. 

I upgraded my lady's 2013 Edge SEL MFT/ SYNC 2 APIM etc to SYNC 3.4 and everything works, climate control, entertainment, navigation etc works just like it does with SYNC2 .

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 11:55 PM, Roberto DF said:

I just upgraded my 2015 titanium this morning, the right screen shows entertainment, navigation and phone. No climate, but to be honest I just bought the car and I don't  premember if it was on there with sync 2. 

One thing to note: I've seen some comments that the compass on the right screen will be glitchy because of the 2 GPS antennas. Back in the 90's when they first started putting compasses in Fords the calibration procedure was to drive in a big circle in an open field or parking lot (according to the manual.) So I did a loop in a cul-de-sac and boom- no more glitching compass on the dash. I'm just glad I didn't pull the cluster first. The posted speed limit still comes up in the nav window.

I got my screen and APIM from an MKX- those are way cheaper than anything else I could find and have the right screen. I went ahead and paid Dan for the programming file to save time and a headache- total for everything programmed including the OBD cable was $355.

20200815_135921.jpg

20200815_135914.jpg

Edited by Ecoboosted
More info

After I flashed the apim a couple times playing with visual settings I couldn't get any GPS signal and the cluster compass was glitching, then I found this:

SSM 45917 - 2016-2017 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3 – Inaccurate Global Positioning System (GPS) Tracking Or GPS Vehicle Icon Spinning Or Spinning Compass - Engineering Investigating

Some 2016-2017 vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 may experience the following concerns; the GPS not tracking the vehicle position correctly, the vehicle location arrow icon spinning in circles on the navigation screen or a spinning compass on non-navigation vehicles. Perform the following procedure to resolve. Enter BezelDiagnostics per Work Shop Manual (WSM) Section 415-00. Select Testing Settings from the menu. Scroll down and press Clear DR calib. Perform a drive test for approximately 10 minutes, include at least four right turns and four left turns with a vehicle speed of at least 25 MPH. Confirm that GPS position for Navigation or the Compass for non-navigation vehicles is functioning properly. Engineering is aware of this concern.

if you already have test settings activated on your screen it's super easy, as soon as I hit clear DR I had a good location in nav and the cluster compass was good.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

This thread is kind of old, but I just got one of these kits for my car and have an issue. The old radio mounts with brackets on top and bottom of the radio then bolts in to the dash on top and bottom.

The new screen/apim combo doesn't have holes on the top and bottom and appears to mount from the sides. Was yours like this, or did the seller give me the wrong screen/apim? Even after I made double sure I was getting the right kit and even verified my VIN with them :(

If your old one mounted with the top and bottom brackets and the new screen/apim has mounting holes on the side, how'd you mount it?

* after more searching and finally finding an exact model match upgrade example on youtube I think the seller didn't send me one of the recessed screens... Hopefully I can get it replaced or refunded, but off ebay from china so who knows.

Thanks.

Edited by DaveJP