Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133

Ronald S Katz

42 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

might check around with one of the lawyers that have filed suit.  if they have access to mediation with Ford, you may get recompensed.

Check this site: https://www.lieffcabraser.com/defect/ford-coolant/ 

I signed up using the form, we'll see if I hear back.

• Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to 2.0L Ecoboost Coolant Leak
  • 1 month later...

I am having the gurgling noises now... I sure hope it's not a coolant system problem. I just had to have a brand-new tranny put in 3 months ago. Luckily I am still under warranty so it was a free tranny - but warranty is not for much longer.

Can we extend our warranties? I have to look and see what I signed up for when I bought this car used last year. 

45 minutes ago, GatorMoni said:

Can we extend our warranties? I have to look and see what I signed up for when I bought this car used last year. 

Wait, you don't get a call from someone named Leslie or Suzie a couple of times a week offering to extend your warranty?  image.png.835aced7e0a7a3c5d13b0a9768f1e212.png

• Haha 5

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2021 at 7:17 PM, CrackedDSM said:

How hard would it be to swap in the 2.3 from the mustang or the focus RS? They’ve got the headgasket issues pretty well licked. And it’d be a nice little bump in power. ?

Easy as pie. Everything bolts up in fact some guys build the 2.3 out of 2.0 blocks to get rid of the open deck. I am not one but I have my 4K miles rs engine and turbo waiting for my 2.0 to fail but it hasn’t even being tuned for over 100k 

• 3 weeks later...

My 2016 Edge with 95k just started losing coolant. Like others no sign of an external leak.  Losing about 5-6oz per day.  I’ve been watching it since I first read about this problem last year.  Guess it’s my turn.  Anyway, has anyone tried Blue Devil head gasket sealer?  I used that on an old Mazda3 head gasket leak with good results.  I’m thinking to try it here too.  

12 minutes ago, Tcinci said:

My 2016 Edge with 95k just started losing coolant. Like others no sign of an external leak.  Losing about 5-6oz per day.  I’ve been watching it since I first read about this problem last year.  Guess it’s my turn.  Anyway, has anyone tried Blue Devil head gasket sealer?  I used that on an old Mazda3 head gasket leak with good results.  I’m thinking to try it here too.  

Not a long term fix, and unlikely it will be effective for this type of head gasket issue, but you've got nothing to lose.

A friend of mine has just installed a new engine with nothing offered from Ford - they said that he'd need to pay for a strip-down and diagnostics and only then would they decided if they would extend any "good will".

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Tcinci said:

Why isn’t this just a head gasket change? Or if it’s the head casting that’s micro racking the a head change. I don’t understand the block change. 

Because it’s a flaw in the block coolant passages.  They used a slot and that lead to cracking in the block.  They changed it to a drilled passage.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a misfire code on the #3 cylinder. Pulled the plug a noticed it was wet. Replaced plug and car still ran a little rough.

My wife called me and said the car wouldn't start. Supposedly the car hydro locked. Took it to the shop and  was told it 

probably needs a long block which is on national backorder with Ford with no release date. Really regretting buying this

car. 75000 miles and I need an engine. I have owned nothing but Fords since 86, this may be my last.

20 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

work with ford corporate to see if they will share the cost of the new engine with you.  be nice but firm. you never know. sometimes you can find a law firm that has filed suit for this problem and request a mediation if ford is not forthcoming just to you.

I gave the same advice to my friend, but the only way Ford would consider any form of compensation was for him to commit to covering the bill of a strip-down and diagnostics, and he wasn't prepared to risk paying that and the price of a new engine.

He got a new long block from Ford and an independent service shop installed it.

• Like 1

well, as with any other well known problem that ford has issued tsbs but not recalls for, keep the bills handy, explore options with legal counsel to get recompensed.  i would not give up on the legal angle. the coolant level should have been dropping, there may be a misfire with or without code, and the plug in the misfiring cylinder as well as the piston/valves should look remarkably clean.

Just bought the car a week or two ago and had a couple small issues, the waterfall sound at startup and after a couple days’ driving it threw a P0301 misfire code on cylinder 1. Symptom was a rough shuddery idle the first ten seconds or so on a cold start then ran fine the rest of the time. Pulled the plugs and replaced with NGK Ruthenium’s, old plugs were pretty gross. Also cylinder one plug (far left facing the engine) was different than the others as you can see in the pic so someone saw the code before and just threw a single plug at it, no idea why you’d do that.

Anyway installed the new plugs and cleared the code, also burped the coolant system and haven’t had the waterfall sound since. Car ran way better for a week or so then the same code came back so I’m thinking coil packs next, unless someone has anything else to try before I go to that.

Thanks for any and all help!

6E03B2BB-5CE7-496F-AB77-D6DF8458C186.jpeg

35 minutes ago, 17Ville2.0 said:

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I’ll probably go ahead and replace all four coils anyway because why not at 70K, then if the issue persists we’ll go from there

Why?

I have 71K miles on my Sport, and expect my ignition coils to last more than twice that - if the time comes, I'll only replace a component like that if testing confirms its failed.

55 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Could be a faulty coil but I wouldn't rule out a faulty injector either.

Correct, and some diagnostics should be able to identify it.

Running a fuel system cleaner in a couple of tanks costs very little and can do no harm, and could clear a fouled injector.

Seeing that one foreign incorrect spark plug makes me cringe, and conjurers up an image of a drunk redneck shade tree "mechanic" working on it - a clear sign that its been abused.

17Ville2.0  what's the mileage?

Do you have the service record?

Did you research its history on places like CarFax?

26 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Why?

I have 71K miles on my Sport, and expect my ignition coils to last more than twice that - if the time comes, I'll only replace a component like that if testing confirms its failed.

Good advice that I have followed for a long time. It's had a positive effect on my investment portfolio also.

• Like 1

It is indeed a 420 Cleveland engine. Didn’t know any of these issues until after we bought it of course. Also, it has lost a little coolant since I filled it up and burped it last. I’ve been doing some reading, are these engines prone to head gasket issues or something that leak coolant into a cylinder?

I’ve bought many used cars before and did the same thing with this one that I’ve always done, checked the car fax beforehand which was clean, only two owners and lots of service records. Test drove just fine too of course, just really hoping this doesn’t turn into a major issue. Monday will be two weeks that we’ve had the car. Going to call the dealership on Monday and see what we can figure out.

Edited by 17Ville2.0
  • Like 1