Now that it's here - Trick or quirks you are finding

choff1138

Hey CanuckG35, just a question regarding your comment when picking up the vehicle at the dealer once it's delivered:

I was "expecting" my dealer to also wash my truck once it arrived, not sure if they will but was hoping they would..now come to think of it, they'd prob wash it with a broom or something, dirty shamy that's got some rocks in it from being dropped a few times etc...

Do you suggest I contact my dealer and tell them NO WASH before delivering it to me? I was "thinking" it would be best if it was clean so I can see the damages or scratches on it should it have any and them being hidden behind a bunch of dirt? What's the best option for me regarding having them clean it up and me finding any hidden scratches etc...

Thanks!

Tony

Tony, Please allow me to chime in here as well. In my case, I left left explicit instructions NOT to touch it. They can fill it with gas like they are supposed to do, but other than that...nothing. Now, in my case, the vehicle is black. Also, like Canuck, I am a professional detailer. The last thing I want to have to do is correct swirls on my brand new paint job. I have a chemical that removes metallic fallout and then I am going to give the paint a one step jeweling polish and then seal the paint with a new product, a nano coat glass finish. I plan to spend in the area of 10 to 12 hours on it. I admit I am excessive (and obsessive?) about it. Depending on how obsessive you are with your paint, you can choose whether you want to do all that work or have the dealer prep and clean it for you. If the car is white or silver, the faults are much harder to see and you'll be safer. Hope that made sense.

I have had 20 plus brand new cars over the years and NEVER had a problem with the dealership prepping the vehicles. I have had black cars that had bad paint but never from a result of it being washed. Common sense tells you to inspect it before signing off on it so if anything should be wrong it could be corrected. You really can't inspect the paint if it's dirty

Best of luck with your new rides. Love my 2011 edge

I have had 20 plus brand new cars over the years and NEVER had a problem with the dealership prepping the vehicles. I have had black cars that had bad paint but never from a result of it being washed. Common sense tells you to inspect it before signing off on it so if anything should be wrong it could be corrected. You really can't inspect the paint if it's dirty

Best of luck with your new rides. Love my 2011 edge

I hear ya. It's not like mine was caked in mud and I couldn't see any damage.

I think the real reason they wanted me to wait is so they could drive it around and play with the tech. It was the first one they had seen.

I hear ya. It's not like mine was caked in mud and I couldn't see any damage.

I think the real reason they wanted me to wait is so they could drive it around and play with the tech. It was the first one they had seen.

Having grown up in the car business (my father was a GM dealer for 25 years) I can tell you there is probably a lot of truth to that!!

Having grown up in the car business (my father was a GM dealer for 25 years) I can tell you there is probably a lot of truth to that!!

I was really surprised - my dealer had mine for 3 days before I could get to pick it up, and there was still only 13 miles on it. I am sure they sat and played with the tech some, but it didn't seem like they had very much.

Just an update to all who still are having Easy Entry or Memory seat programming issues.

We were unable to program our memory seats either with or w/o the fob. I followed all the instructions

AND also the tips I learned in this forum. I brought my Edge

in today to the dealer. After actually trying to re-program the Driver's Seat computer program they finally

gave up and ordered a whole new computer module for it.

So for those of you that continue to have problems you may need a new module for the Driver's Seat.

BUT...I STILL LOVE MY EDGE!!!! :yup:

Do not do step #4 in the programming process described in the owners manual!!!!

The manual gives the following instructions:

Programming the memory feature to the transmitter

To activate this feature:

1. Move the driver seat and power mirrors to the desired positions using

the associated controls.

2. Press and hold button 1 for five

seconds. A tone will be heard after

about two seconds confirming

memory position has been set.

Continue to hold until a second tone

is heard after five seconds.

3. Within three seconds press "icon for lock th door".

4. Press "icon for unlock" <---------- Do not do this!!!!!!! It actually clears the programing you just entered. Wait at least 20 seconds before you press unlock!.

5. Repeat this procedure for memory 2 and another transmitter if

desired.

Now when my wife presses unlock on her IA key, the seats and mirrors automatically move to her position and when I press unlock on mine, they change to my positions and I don't have to have my knees hitting he in the chest. Yeah!!

Do not do step #4 in the programming process described in the owners manual!!!!

The manual gives the following instructions:

Programming the memory feature to the transmitter

To activate this feature:

1. Move the driver seat and power mirrors to the desired positions using

the associated controls.

2. Press and hold button 1 for five

seconds. A tone will be heard after

about two seconds confirming

memory position has been set.

Continue to hold until a second tone

is heard after five seconds.

3. Within three seconds press "icon for lock th door".

4. Press "icon for unlock" <---------- Do not do this!!!!!!! It actually clears the programing you just entered. Wait at least 20 seconds before you press unlock!.

5. Repeat this procedure for memory 2 and another transmitter if

desired.

Now when my wife presses unlock on her IA key, the seats and mirrors automatically move to her position and when I press unlock on mine, they change to my positions and I don't have to have my knees hitting he in the chest. Yeah!!

JustDaFax,

I did try your process, many times actually. It did not work for us.

When I took my Edge in the technicians did find something "wrong" with the Driver's Seat computer module.

Luckily it is not a big thing although I have to admit that after three weeks of ownership having to adjust the seats and mirror

every time I get in is a pain.

I'll keep you all posted on the continuing saga...

Just finished my first extended trip in the Edge. Like others have commented about, my biggest complaint is the location of the &*%# Emergency Flasher. Turned the thing on at least 4 or 5 time while changing something with the touch screen. Really does need to be somewhere else or not so sensitive.

Mileage was a little lower then expected. it was around 23mpg but was bucking a headwind so maybe it will do better going back.

Just finished my first extended trip in the Edge. Like others have commented about, my biggest complaint is the location of the &*%# Emergency Flasher. Turned the thing on at least 4 or 5 time while changing something with the touch screen. Really does need to be somewhere else or not so sensitive.

Mileage was a little lower then expected. it was around 23mpg but was bucking a headwind so maybe it will do better going back.

I cut a small square of black electrical tape and put it over the flasher. It blends in and if I need to press the button I just peel the tape back

Not sure what I'm doing right but I've only set off the flashers once.

I do tend to rest my fingers on the ledge in front of the touch screen. is that the trick?

Edited by wilsons66604

Picked up my White Limited AWD on Saturday. Spend Sunday learning how to deal with the "Information Overload". Commuted to work on Monday without any issues (couldn't get the Ipod to do what I wanted to using voice commands, but maybe that is just my lack of talent). Commuted to work on Tuesday without any issues.

Tried to start the car Tuesday night after about 1 hour in the garage and car made the most earpiercing squeeking sound that I have ever heard coming from a car. Did multiple re-starts within the next hour with the same result. Called roadside assistance and when the tow truck arrived 1 hour later, everything was back to normal. Had them tow it to the dealer anyways. So far, they have not been able to reproduce the issue.

I think that one of the pulleys in the accessory drive was stuck.

Well, the joy of owning a new Edge lasted a full 3 days.

Picked up my White Limited AWD on Saturday. Spend Sunday learning how to deal with the "Information Overload". Commuted to work on Monday without any issues (couldn't get the Ipod to do what I wanted to using voice commands, but maybe that is just my lack of talent). Commuted to work on Tuesday without any issues.

Tried to start the car Tuesday night after about 1 hour in the garage and car made the most earpiercing squeeking sound that I have ever heard coming from a car. Did multiple re-starts within the next hour with the same result. Called roadside assistance and when the tow truck arrived 1 hour later, everything was back to normal. Had them tow it to the dealer anyways. So far, they have not been able to reproduce the issue.

I think that one of the pulleys in the accessory drive was stuck.

Well, the joy of owning a new Edge lasted a full 3 days.

What a rude awakening! Did it seem like the sound was coming from the engine?

What a rude awakening! Did it seem like the sound was coming from the engine?

It was not the engine itself. Based on the tach display, it seemed to idle fine. There was no way to actually hear the engine due to the squeeling noise. I also blipped the throttle a couple of times. Again, the engine seemed to respond fine, the squeeling just got louder. Thats what leads me to believe that a pully was stuck. Didn't want to run it in this mode for very long because something was going to let go sooner or later.

I found out yesterday afternoon that the TPMS works. And jack and spare, too.

As soon as I started the Edge in the garage, the left side "message center" LCD Tire Pressure Warning message was on. (You can turn this off like the low gas message.) The warning light below stayed on. Damned if the left rear tire was halfway flat. No way I could drive on it. So I get it onto a flat spot on the driveway, pull out the jack & spare and swap tires. Friggin 2½ inch nail in it!

I was able to drive to the Chevron - about 3 mi - who's plugged 3 or 4 punctures over the years of mine and my wife's. The warning light was on the whole trip. Returned home, swapped tires again - man, those 20" 245s are heavy! - and later ran out for a pizza. Took about two tenths of a mile and the warning lights went out.

I found out yesterday afternoon that the TPMS works. And jack and spare, too.

As soon as I started the Edge in the garage, the left side "message center" LCD Tire Pressure Warning message was on. (You can turn this off like the low gas message.) The warning light below stayed on. Damned if the left rear tire was halfway flat. No way I could drive on it. So I get it onto a flat spot on the driveway, pull out the jack & spare and swap tires. Friggin 2½ inch nail in it!

I was able to drive to the Chevron - about 3 mi - who's plugged 3 or 4 punctures over the years of mine and my wife's. The warning light was on the whole trip. Returned home, swapped tires again - man, those 20" 245s are heavy! - and later ran out for a pizza. Took about two tenths of a mile and the warning lights went out.

Glad to hear the TPM worked! I had it go off on me once in my FX35. It seems I ran over what could only be described as a piece of shrapnel from WWII. Evil piece of metal it was!

I think I discovered something cool and unexpected with my MKX. It looks like the outside driver's door mirror dims at night when on a dark road and traffic is coming up from behind. i knew the inside mirror was supposed to do that, but i didn't know the outside one does it too! Has anyone else noticed that? Or is my eyesight just going bad?

I have never had a problem with a dealer washing a new car. If the dealer takes care of his business he would be a fool to scratch or mess up a car when cleaning it before delivery, knowing he will probably have to fix it if he does. My Edge was washed by the dealer and there was no problem.

The person doing the new car prep on your brand new vehicle at the dealership is never a professional, hence he/she really doesn't know what they are doing. Add to that, they do not use proper washing/drying equipment either. You might not have noticed any issues with your paint, however unless you know what to look for and have your vehicle's paint under direct sunlight or a halogen lamp, the typical person would not notice paint imperfections that a detailer would. I am not implying that you necessarily have issues with your paint, I am just saying that dealerships do not practice proper prepping techniques and can certainly damage your paint in the process.

I think I discovered something cool and unexpected with my MKX. It looks like the outside driver's door mirror dims at night when on a dark road and traffic is coming up from behind. i knew the inside mirror was supposed to do that, but i didn't know the outside one does it too! Has anyone else noticed that? Or is my eyesight just going bad?

No problem with your eyes - this is a documented feature of the vehicle.

The person doing the new car prep on your brand new vehicle at the dealership is never a professional, hence he/she really doesn't know what they are doing. Add to that, they do not use proper washing/drying equipment either. You might not have noticed any issues with your paint, however unless you know what to look for and have your vehicle's paint under direct sunlight or a halogen lamp, the typical person would not notice paint imperfections that a detailer would. I am not implying that you necessarily have issues with your paint, I am just saying that dealerships do not practice proper prepping techniques and can certainly damage your paint in the process.

Having shown my 70 Boss 302 in Concours class for close to 15 years I have some idea of what good paint looks like. I also don't get obsessive about the paint on a daily driven car that will, despite everything I do eventually get a rock chip or other small imperfections that are almost unavoidable. If you want to go to the extreme, good for you.

Having shown my 70 Boss 302 in Concours class for close to 15 years I have some idea of what good paint looks like. I also don't get obsessive about the paint on a daily driven car that will, despite everything I do eventually get a rock chip or other small imperfections that are almost unavoidable. If you want to go to the extreme, good for you.

Relax, no need to get defensive. Just trying to help out and educate some of the members here regarding proper detailing techniques.

It's not really about being obsessive. It's about having the knowledge. My previous cars looked like crap because I had no idea what neglect, automated car washes, and the kid at the dealership were doing to my paint finish. Now with the knowledge I've gained here, I can pick and choose how I care for my car.

I'm aware now that if I have a good finish on my car, the maintenance of the finish is a bunch easier.

BAHHHHHH - I want this! I got the Edge though. I guess my next car will be upgraded to the Lincoln version.

Many of us on this forum have learned a great deal from Canuck35G. I don't think it's being obsessive when we try our best to take care of a 40-50T dollar investment or when we are trying to learn the proper way to do so. The comments or suggestions were basically just another way to reduce a possible unnecessary problem. I believe his comment was general in nature and what could possibly happen when some (note some) person other than the owner or a professional is washing your car. I also look forward to any of your comments that will enhance my knowledge of car care. Cheers to all.