Now that it's here - Trick or quirks you are finding

choff1138

So - now that these are showing up and some people are lucky enough to be getting their Edge, lets start tracking tricks or quirks that you are finding with starting to set and drive these beauties. Congrats to everyone who has already gotten theirs and for the rest of us, may their pictures and stories hold us till ours get here.

There is much to learn about this new 2011 Edge Limited AWD. I finally got all my favorite sirius radio stations learned and set. The only problem right now is that I keep setting off the hazard lights when I use the touch screen. That should not be a problem once I learn all the voice commands. The other day I tried the voice command to lower the temperature and ended up calling a neighbor.

Ā 

I know many of you are waiting anxiously for your 2011 Edge. Let me tell you that it is so worth the wait!

Ā 

pat

Ā 

I agree that there is so much to learn. Voice recognition system seems MUCH better then old Sync. But still...just getting started.

1. Asked for "nearest pet store" Got a list of paint stores.

2. Asked for J.C. Penney Got a list of chinese restaurants.

3.Lists of restaurants include several that have been closed for over 4 years.

Ā 

But,

4. Change temp requests worked perfectly for us. "Climate...change temp to 72 degrees"

5. Passenger can make vocal requests just as easy as driver.

6. Navigation appears to be much more accurate than upgraded DVD in 2007 Edge.

7. Home is easy to set in Nav.

8. Radio presets and tuning are very easy and intuitive.

9. Sync services work perfectly.

More later....

I agree that there is so much to learn. Voice recognition system seems MUCH better then old Sync. But still...just getting started.

1. Asked for "nearest pet store" Got a list of paint stores.

2. Asked for J.C. Penney Got a list of chinese restaurants.

3.Lists of restaurants include several that have been closed for over 4 years.

Ā 

But,

4. Change temp requests worked perfectly for us. "Climate...change temp to 72 degrees"

5. Passenger can make vocal requests just as easy as driver.

6. Navigation appears to be much more accurate than upgraded DVD in 2007 Edge.

7. Home is easy to set in Nav.

8. Radio presets and tuning are very easy and intuitive.

9. Sync services work perfectly.

More later....

Great review! Sounds like the built in Ford commands work great but the Nav system is lacking in the voice commands.

The great thing is that we can upgrade the car with a USB stick. Let's hope we get upgrades!

I've found a few quirks...

Ā 

I don't think that the voice recongition likes my voice. :wacko: I think I'm speaking clearly.

Ā 

Yesterday I said "Climate, Temperature 75" and it said "Temperature 85?" I said no. It said, say yes or no. I finally said cancel.

Ā 

There are some things that are visable only when you first turn on the car. Like add a phone. I had the car on and we were trying to add my husbands phone and could not find the 'add a phone" option anywhere. I turned the car off and turned it back on and the homescreen showed in the upper left square "add phone".

Ā 

I was listening to my ipod when I got a call. Once the call was over instead of going back to my ipod it went to the AV jacks and I had to touch the screen to get back to the ipod.

Ā 

I get a lot of warnings, bells and red lights, when I'm pulling in or out of my garage. I guess it doesn't like me parking next to the lawn mower. :yup:

Ā 

None of these issues are enough to make me unhappy with the car. I look at it as just a period of adjustment.

Ā 

:shift: It's a great car and I'm still so excited to be driving it! :hyper:

I've found a few quirks...

Ā 

I don't think that the voice recongition likes my voice. :wacko: I think I'm speaking clearly.

Ā 

Yesterday I said "Climate, Temperature 75" and it said "Temperature 85?" I said no. It said, say yes or no. I finally said cancel.

Ā 

There are some things that are visable only when you first turn on the car. Like add a phone. I had the car on and we were trying to add my husbands phone and could not find the 'add a phone" option anywhere. I turned the car off and turned it back on and the homescreen showed in the upper left square "add phone".

Ā 

I was listening to my ipod when I got a call. Once the call was over instead of going back to my ipod it went to the AV jacks and I had to touch the screen to get back to the ipod.

Ā 

I get a lot of warnings, bells and red lights, when I'm pulling in or out of my garage. I guess it doesn't like me parking next to the lawn mower. :yup:

Ā 

None of these issues are enough to make me unhappy with the car. I look at it as just a period of adjustment.

Ā 

:shift: It's a great car and I'm still so excited to be driving it! :hyper:

Ā 

Ā 

Those all sound like things that I am counting on having issues with anyway. Just the learning curve of so many options. Glad to hear it is awesome to drive.

Those all sound like things that I am counting on having issues with anyway. Just the learning curve of so many options. Glad to hear it is awesome to drive.

Ā 

Windshield wipers are either too fast or too slow. Do the front LED's only come on when lock/unlocking? Can they be used as DRL's? Sony 12 speaker system should sound better and have cd changer. Doesn't compare to my other Harman Kardon system. Can I stop the Nav from muting the stereo on every turn alert? Is there a separate volume for the Nav voice? Seats are slippery would prefer alcantara inserts in the sport.

same issue with the hazard lights.

Ā 

Problems that need fixing:

1- no sync between the main screen and the driver 4in screen (navigator is in metric on the main screen, ,imperial on the 4in driver screen and notification is in imperial)

2- Driver 4" screen lost control of the navigation function (OK has no effect and does not clear message)

3- Turn by turn voice notification died - eventhough the configuration is fine and even after a soft reset of tthe system.

Ā 

Hope someone could help.

I have an appointment at the dealer to look at these things.

baba_ali - Please keep us posted on what happens with your 3 issues / problems in case this happens to me or anyone else.

Ā 

I keep hearing about the metric / imperial problem for the Navi and your # 2 is scary to, hope this is not a permanant prob and does get fixed

Ā 

Tony

Edited by Dreamss

Man if this is all you guys have found wrong, you should consider yourselves lucky. Don't bother going back to Ford yet, there isn't anything they can do until software updates start coming out. Consider yourselves Beta testers.

Ā 

Ā 

That is what I have been thinking too... Software glitches are just a normal part of life anymore that they barely phase me. Hope I am as lucky.

That is what I have been thinking too... Software glitches are just a normal part of life anymore that they barely phase me. Hope I am as lucky.

Ā 

And more importantly - the software fixes can be made available almost immediately and installed by the owner via syncmyride.com . No dealer visit necessary in most cases.

Man if this is all you guys have found wrong, you should consider yourselves lucky. Don't bother going back to Ford yet, there isn't anything they can do until software updates start coming out. Consider yourselves Beta testers.

Right again, as usual, Waldo. The new Edge is an incredible improvement over the older Edge. The drive and quiet ride is so much better, it is hard to believe.

The fact that there have been very few reports of mechanical issues speaks volumes.

Windshield wipers are either too fast or too slow. Do the front LED's only come on when lock/unlocking? Can they be used as DRL's? Sony 12 speaker system should sound better and have cd changer. Doesn't compare to my other Harman Kardon system. Can I stop the Nav from muting the stereo on every turn alert? Is there a separate volume for the Nav voice? Seats are slippery would prefer alcantara inserts in the sport.

Ā 

On my 2010 MKX i had to use voice commands to increase the nav volume.

Question about the Ambient Lighting...

Ā 

Is it supposed to be on while driving? I assumed so. Sitting in the car with the engine on at the dealer, we were checking things out. We set a color and raised the level to max. It was so sunny out we couldn't see anything; we figured I'd see it later. But later, I never saw it until I shut the engine off.

Ā 

I thought the whole point was "Ambiance." :wub:

NOT! The book sux. I read it online a couple times already between ordering and delivery. Can you find it in there? Thanks for the great advice.

Ā 

Ā 

http://www.flmowner.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&intcmp=home-central-promo-position2.1&ord=10766668

Ā 

You have to have your lights turned on to some degree...

Ah-ha! So akirby was right! It is in the manual... Ooops, no he wasn't. There's nothing there about it.

Ā 

Thanks, choff

Ā 

Ā 

The more I find before the car gets here the easier the drive home will be for me - I will look like a pro hoping in and setting everything up. HAHAHA maybe my dealership will have me do classes on how to use the system. Doubt it.

Nope - for some reason it's not in the owner's manual which is really strange. But the video does say the lights have to be on (at least the parking lamps).

Ya i know, I loaded the manuals onto my iPad. Browsed a little then never went back. I've found that I only use manuals at last resort. Typical man I guess.

I do like all the available videos though.

Edited by wilsons66604