Now that it's here - Trick or quirks you are finding

choff1138

When do you get your Edge Dreamss??

My wife and I ordered it on September 27th and I believe the dealer was putting the order in on the 29th or so. He wasn't sure if the October production was filled yet or if we'd have our order put in with the November batches.

As of yet, no calls, no vin and not sure which month it's being built. I'm excited to get it, but not in a mega rush..using the free time without it to plan my winter wheel setup which is finally almost done and finalize some home renovations which I'm sure will not be getting done to fast once my new Edge shows up lol, I have been without a car now for 5 months as my last one sold much faster than expected, when the Edge comes in it will be 7 so I am dying to hit the road when it shows up!

I may call at the end of the month for an update, the girl I am dealing with is out of the office for 2 weeks I think so I’ll call when she gets back.

Tony

Stupid question now...so, if all the same software / version is being used off the assembly line, how is it that some people have issues and others don't?? Why would it be working fine in some cars and not in others? This would go for any of the challenges we've read about so far.

This is something I don't get? Did some of the software not "load" properly via wifi while going down the assembly line?

I agree with Wilson..., I think it all depends on how much of the potential in the software you use or try to use. Concerning the KM / miles problem, that probably is only noticed by those in Canada as they would most likely have everything in KM.

Should the first mod/hack be a "reboot" button on fuse 29??

also, the Microsoft Touch system is not all that iPhone friendly

Yeah - I am pretty sure this is Microsoft's chance to get back at the iPhone in general. My dad's first comment was about it being powered by microsoft and needing to be rebooted often. So far I have been pretty lucky. I do notice that I do sometimes have to stop and just let it think for a few minutes, but it catches up and I can move on.

Over all - I love it.

Hey There,

Well, after I posted my "rant / vent" regarding my concerns, I had a little too much to drink and wound up cancelling my order with Ford, I just couldn't take it anymore! I was certain that every new Edge was going to be a lemon so i didn't want to take any chances so I'm ordering a Kia instead.

Would have had us for a minute if you said Volkswagen... I looked at the Teagun too, but I figured that with two types of fuel - one was getting the wrong one at some point. to expensive to take that chance.

This is a guess to attempt to answer the software versions question asked a few posts ago.

Being a software guy, Ford will most likely have only 1 version overall. The option menus are very extensive. You can customize it for any territory, Canada, US, Europe etc. Not that it is offered everywhere but it is configurable. The only real difference is the km vs. miles on that issue anyway. The Nav SD card would be NA North American or EU for Europe (if offered there), etc. Display languages would be a consideration and would probably be a feature added to the software in future if they every did go to a different area not currently offered. These are all simple things.

The bigger item that affects the system speed is how much information is actually displayed. There is a ton of stuff going on when you are on a particular screen. All the other items like temp, music are still running in the background when you are in the phone display. So the processor is still multi-tasking. Between a possible weak processor (or overburdened processor) and the fact that it is working of solid state memory makes it a little slow. The video processors may also be overburdened. Dont know if we will ever know what the hardware specs are, unless you have a crow bar and alot of money to get it fixed after your inspection.

I am sure that the software issues (km v. miles) will get fixed. I am sure that we might find some other small stuff and that they might optimize some speed issues.

Regarding the update version and all. When you get your car, you can log into syncmyride.com and register your vin. It will tell you what software is loaded in your car and what updates are available for you to install yourself via a usb stick. Some upgrades may require dealer install. It will keep track of your versions via a file that the car makes on the usb fob and then uploaded back to the website. No realtime link from the car to the website or Ford.

I only wish that Ford would give a list of features tweaked or upgraded on the software upgrades they offer on the site. They currently dont explain what each "patch" does or fixes.

Ford is new to the world of software, user updates, etc and so are most car buyers. This is the first vehicle of its kind with all the tech stuff. There are enough tech guys/gals on the forum to help anyone in need. We should all stand behind Ford (an American company) in their efforts to bring us a car one step closer to the Audi in iRobot. I am surprised at Ford and very proud of what they have done.

• Like 1

I only wish that Ford would give a list of features tweaked or upgraded on the software upgrades they offer on the site. They currently dont explain what each "patch" does or fixes.

I totally agree! This would let people know if they've found a solution to a particular problem instead of making us guess what changed.

This is a guess to attempt to answer the software versions question asked a few posts ago.

Being a software guy, Ford will most likely have only 1 version overall. The option menus are very extensive. You can customize it for any territory, Canada, US, Europe etc. Not that it is offered everywhere but it is configurable. The only real difference is the km vs. miles on that issue anyway. The Nav SD card would be NA North American or EU for Europe (if offered there), etc. Display languages would be a consideration and would probably be a feature added to the software in future if they every did go to a different area not currently offered. These are all simple things.

The bigger item that affects the system speed is how much information is actually displayed. There is a ton of stuff going on when you are on a particular screen. All the other items like temp, music are still running in the background when you are in the phone display. So the processor is still multi-tasking. Between a possible weak processor (or overburdened processor) and the fact that it is working of solid state memory makes it a little slow. The video processors may also be overburdened. Dont know if we will ever know what the hardware specs are, unless you have a crow bar and alot of money to get it fixed after your inspection.

I am sure that the software issues (km v. miles) will get fixed. I am sure that we might find some other small stuff and that they might optimize some speed issues.

Regarding the update version and all. When you get your car, you can log into syncmyride.com and register your vin. It will tell you what software is loaded in your car and what updates are available for you to install yourself via a usb stick. Some upgrades may require dealer install. It will keep track of your versions via a file that the car makes on the usb fob and then uploaded back to the website. No realtime link from the car to the website or Ford.

Ford is new to the world of software, user updates, etc and so are most car buyers. This is the first vehicle of its kind with all the tech stuff. There are enough tech guys/gals on the forum to help anyone in need. We should all stand behind Ford (an American company) in their efforts to bring us a car one step closer to the Audi in iRobot. I am surprised at Ford and very proud of what they have done.

Well said. My brother just bought an Audi and we are constantly one uping the other on who got the nicer car - he's in Washington and I am in AK so it will be a while before we see each other, but it is fun for now.

The website shows I have an update to download but I couldn't get it to load to my USB stick

Mine shows I have one to install also. I was able to put it onto the usb stick, plug it into the car and tell it to install. It looked like it was installing something.

I wasn't able to upload results though. That's when I started the chat session and learned there were no updates.

not confusing....IS IT??

Mine shows I have one to install also. I was able to put it onto the usb stick, plug it into the car and tell it to install. It looked like it was installing something.

I wasn't able to upload results though. That's when I started the chat session and learned there were no updates.

not confusing....IS IT??

Guess the dealer will be doing the updates

The only time I have had the fan kick on real high was getting in it around 35-40 degree temps and it was trying to get up to 70 - but that only lasted a few seconds and it calmed back down. In the morning driving out of our garage at home - the fan doesn't react to it going from a nice warm bed to the harsh cold outdoors. We have been having below freezing in the morning but been just fine. Loving the heated seats though. ooo laa laaa

Ok - it is cold today - 22f this morning - only 32 at lunch time - went out to car - fan kicks on like hurricane.... warm fast! that is what I am talking about. Every time I get in this car I like it more.

First off, love my new Edge! A few things I've noticed with mine, when listening to my USB and using the voice command "play folder ....." seems to freeze up and nothing really happens. Have to browse through the device and manually select my desired music folder.

Also, is there a way to always have my preferred home screen come up? I like having my background image always up, and when it starts up it defaults back to the quadrants. Not a big deal just wondering if there's a way around that.

The SYNC has been out for a few years now, you'd think you'd be able to change that voice by now! How cool would it be to have Mr. T pop up - whatchu want fool??

Also, is there a way to always have my preferred home screen come up? I like having my background image always up, and when it starts up it defaults back to the quadrants. Not a big deal just wondering if there's a way around that.

The original Sync manual was worded as though you could select one of the three and that would be your default.

Note: The full corner display (2) with preselected shortcuts is the default home screen. This screen will momentarily appear at vehicle start up and will then transition to your chosen selection, if different.

However, the wording has been modified in the new version. Looks like the winner is Screen Number 2!

Note: The full corner display (2) with preselected shortcuts is the default home screen. This screen will appear at vehicle start-up.

I grew up in the days of B&W TVs that had actual knobs that you had to turn to get one of 13 channels. Sometimes you had to adjust the vertical hold to keep the picture from scrolling up.

I wish I had that vertical hold knob today when backup camera started scrolling up.

It corrected itself after I turned off the car and restarted.

That's twice this has happened.

I grew up in the days of B&W TVs that had actual knobs that you had to turn to get one of 13 channels. Sometimes you had to adjust the vertical hold to keep the picture from scrolling up.

I wish I had that vertical hold knob today when backup camera started scrolling up.

It corrected itself after I turned off the car and restarted.

That's twice this has happened.

And no remote control..........um, .........so I have heard :-)

For the second time in two weeks the clock in the car has gone off. It was just off an hour and will bet will be back to normal after I get back in it. First time it happened I didn't believe myself that it did it. Strange... I did use a Sync service to get directions (I wonder if that had anything to do with it)

For the second time in two weeks the clock in the car has gone off. It was just off an hour and will bet will be back to normal after I get back in it. First time it happened I didn't believe myself that it did it. Strange... I did use a Sync service to get directions (I wonder if that had anything to do with it)

I had this happen when selecting to use GPS time. Daylight Savings time option will also affect it of course.

Tonight I had the rear-view camera stay on while in Drive. Once I drove a hundred feet or so it went off. It's a bit disconcerting...

I've found that using the steering wheel seek button while listening to Sirius causes the console Tune control to stop working for a short time.

Tonight I had the rear-view camera stay on while in Drive. Once I drove a hundred feet or so it went off. It's a bit disconcerting...

I don' t have my Edge yet (finally ordered... yay!), but this is a feature that can be turned on & off. No clue what he did, but the dealer turned it on to show me... said it stays on until you reach a certain speed (6 mph sticks in my head?).

So you should be able to turn that off somehow if it bugs ya! :-)

I had this happen when selecting to use GPS time. Daylight Savings time option will also affect it of course.

I've found that using the steering wheel seek button while listening to Sirius causes the console Tune control to stop working for a short time.

There is a "delay" setting for the backup camera that let's it stay on for a while

There is a "delay" setting for the backup camera that let's it stay on for a while

Now that it's doing it all the time, I realized it must be intentional. Wierd thing was I had the delay set to on initially and it was only after I changed it to off and then on again, that it started doing this. I actually thought that the delay feature was to prevent the rear view camera from coming on momentarily while you're shifting from park to drive.

Anyway I got to do some significant highway driving for the first time today. Some interesting happenings;

After a vehicle passed me, both blind spot indicators stayed on along with an error message saying the radar sensors were blocked (they weren't). A second warning message appeared just before I stopped and restarted the engine but I didn't see the details on that one. Stopping/starting did fix the blind spot problem though.

4 or 5 times, screen presses on the main navigation screen and navigation option screens "clicked through" to whatever the previous main screen was (climate, entertainment, phone).

Got to experience the collision alert alarm even though there were no vehicles in front of me. Turned out the radar picked up a slow moving train rounding a curve parallel to the highway. Not a problem with the system, just a bit of confused excitment on my part.

Anyway really enjoyed the 5 hour trip with lots of things to play with. For engine break-in purposes, I used the manual shift mode to maintain vehicle speed while varying engine speed. Found the radio reception (AM/FM) the best I've ever experienced and all the little extras like radio station information very nice. Discovered that, for some reason, the navigaion mapping display is way better (more detailed and colourful) while in a slightly larger city than while in my home city. Can't figure out how the Infortainment display is supposed to work at times - for example some times I can pick an AM or FM station from about 8 choices in the display but once I click OK on a particular station, I can't go back and pick any other station - only the station that I orginally picked shows up on the display.

not confusing....IS IT??

I tried the same thing as my "syncmyride" site said I too had an update available on my new 2011 Edge. I tried to updated it, but the car will not confirm the update when I went back to my PC after the install appeared to happen.

:stats: I have exchanged a bunch of emails with the sync folks at Ford. They said my car is up to date (the site must be "confused") and I don't need to update anything right now.

They indicated when FUTURE real updates occur, you will be able to update yourself via USB. This feels like the Sync folks at Ford are a bit behind with the new FMT/LMT equipped vehicles and the site.

I hope they have updates soon...in just one week my MFT had locked and rebooted twice. I hate to say it (I am a Windows 7 fan), but just like a typical Microsoft OS...needs rebooting when it freaks out and has bad error handling. Very unsettling for the first car with new flagship MFT system. :shift:

I tried the same thing as my "syncmyride" site said I too had an update available on my new 2011 Edge. I tried to updated it, but the car will not confirm the update when I went back to my PC after the install appeared to happen.

:stats: I have exchanged a bunch of emails with the sync folks at Ford. They said my car is up to date (the site must be "confused") and I don't need to update anything right now.

unsettling for the first car with new flagship MFT system. :shift:

Try the syncmyride site again. I noticed yesterday that they have a new app to install. It's not an update but it does allow for you to upload the status when you are done.