Now that it's here - Trick or quirks you are finding

choff1138

A screen flashes then ends up being blank.

I did notice that one setting was for DUN before it went blank

Thanks Wilsons. I found that screen in another location (bluetooth settings) and you can configure DUN and PAN and a few other things. But the bottom line is they do nothing useful yet.

Thank goodness for fuse #29! Because without pulling it, it seems impossible to fix the Sync not reconnecting with your phone. My BB 9700 worked perfectly fine for 2 days and then Sync decided it wasn't going to connect with it no matter what. Wasted way to much time with the Sync and phone options before doing the fuse thing which fixed it immediately upon reboot. Though now my phone, which used to pair with "Sync" now pairs with "BCM4325D1 26 MHz Class 1.5 for Apollo2 board". What's up with that?

Just hope rebooting doesn't become a daily occurance...

Thanks Wilsons. I found that screen in another location (bluetooth settings) and you can configure DUN and PAN and a few other things. But the bottom line is they do nothing useful yet.

Thank goodness for fuse #29! Because without pulling it, it seems impossible to fix the Sync not reconnecting with your phone. My BB 9700 worked perfectly fine for 2 days and then Sync decided it wasn't going to connect with it no matter what. Wasted way to much time with the Sync and phone options before doing the fuse thing which fixed it immediately upon reboot. Though now my phone, which used to pair with "Sync" now pairs with "BCM4325D1 26 MHz Class 1.5 for Apollo2 board". What's up with that?

Just hope rebooting doesn't become a daily occurance...

Lol...BCM4325D1 26 MHz Class 1.5 for Apollo2 board

What is with that???

I am very impressed with the MyLincoln Touch system so far. It's been far less flakey than I feared it might be. I do feel I have to press too hard on the screen and there has been times when the back arrow function while in Settings goes all the way back to the phone menu instead of the previous settings screen but nothing serious.

I don't have to press hard on the NAV screen, but I found I need to press and hold for a moment. Not as responsive as I would like. Almost as if not enough CPU/RAM to support the applications. Also, I noticed lagging when running multiple applications. It's either poorly written software, or bad/cheap choice of hardware.

But I love new technology and have learnt to be patient with it.

And yes, Thank God for fuse 29. I think once I stop messing around with all the settings/configurations it'll be more stable. I don't mid rebooting once or twice a month, but I definitly expect a patch or even a service pack to fix this.

We were test driving a new Limited AWD today and noticed the backup camera would occassionally be blacked out/not work at random and at other times be fine. Is this a known bug or should this be a concern to check if we indeed decide to purchase that exact vehicle? If we put it into park then back into reverse it was fine. Maybe a loose connecter? Little concerning on a brand new $40K+ vehicle. Still working on that Sport vs Limited decision though.

I have not had any extremes to find out yet. Choff may have :-). With the "my temp" feature does it override the fan speed when there is an extreme difference between outside temp and your setting? My fan speed is set at around medium, and when I have driven it, outside temp is not all that different from inside "my temp". what I was hoping is that if I go out and it is say 30 degrees and "my temp" is 70, that fan would kick into high speed to reach the "my temp". I am guessing it does not. :-(

We were test driving a new Limited AWD today and noticed the backup camera would occassionally be blacked out/not work at random and at other times be fine. Is this a known bug or should this be a concern to check if we indeed decide to purchase that exact vehicle? If we put it into park then back into reverse it was fine. Maybe a loose connecter? Little concerning on a brand new $40K+ vehicle. Still working on that Sport vs Limited decision though.

It's posts like this and many others that have made me second guess my decision to buy this car. About 2 months ago I was beyond excited and loved the look of the remodel, couldn't wait to place my order which I did and with each passing day on this forum I get some regrets. Maybe regrets is a strong word but more discouraged then for a lack of better words.

The post I quoted is 100 % true, it's very concerning for a 40k plus vehicle and that's what's really bothering me.

Back up cameras faulty, navigation is not that good, touch is slow, has lag, buttons are hard, Bluetooth cells hardly work, and just to think about having to pull a fuse to reboot raises the hair on my neck.

Maybe I'm looking way to into this but I am venting since I would never expect this from this car at this price. Will any of this stuff ever get fixed? What can we expect from updates, patches, firmware etc. I wonder if Ford even knows all this since many people are just pulling fuses to reboot instead of going back to the dealer.

My sister in law just bought a Volkswagen Tiguan and I can tell you the touch screen in that car works really well. Smooth, fast, very bright and nice display to look at, I had hoped for the same experience but now not sure that's going to happen.

My wife wanted the 2010 at a killer deal for closeout and warned me about all the new gadgets, since I am the gadget type of guy I couldn't resist the 2011 but all I need now is for her to say "I told you so"

Sorry for the negativity, like I said I'm just venting. I adore this car, mine is bought and will be delivered soon but this thread can be depressing at times lol.

Ok, I'm done, rant over, going to have a beer now lol.

Tony

I have not had any extremes to find out yet. Choff may have :-). With the "my temp" feature does it override the fan speed when there is an extreme difference between outside temp and your setting? My fan speed is set at around medium, and when I have driven it, outside temp is not all that different from inside "my temp". what I was hoping is that if I go out and it is say 30 degrees and "my temp" is 70, that fan would kick into high speed to reach the "my temp". I am guessing it does not. :-(

I expect that if the current temperature is a long ways from the MyTemp setting, the fan speed will adjust accordingly. I know that fan speed is one of the variables controlled by the "Auto" setting.

It's posts like this and many others that have made me second guess my decision to buy this car. About 2 months ago I was beyond excited and loved the look of the remodel, couldn't wait to place my order which I did and with each passing day on this forum I get some regrets. Maybe regrets is a strong word but more discouraged then for a lack of better words.

The post I quoted is 100 % true, it's very concerning for a 40k plus vehicle and that's what's really bothering me.

Back up cameras faulty, navigation is not that good, touch is slow, has lag, buttons are hard, Bluetooth cells hardly work, and just to think about having to pull a fuse to reboot raises the hair on my neck.

Maybe I'm looking way to into this but I am venting since I would never expect this from this car at this price. Will any of this stuff ever get fixed? What can we expect from updates, patches, firmware etc. I wonder if Ford even knows all this since many people are just pulling fuses to reboot instead of going back to the dealer.

My sister in law just bought a Volkswagen Tiguan and I can tell you the touch screen in that car works really well. Smooth, fast, very bright and nice display to look at, I had hoped for the same experience but now not sure that's going to happen.

My wife wanted the 2010 at a killer deal for closeout and warned me about all the new gadgets, since I am the gadget type of guy I couldn't resist the 2011 but all I need now is for her to say "I told you so"

Sorry for the negativity, like I said I'm just venting. I adore this car, mine is bought and will be delivered soon but this thread can be depressing at times lol.

Tony

Not sure if it will make you feel any better but I have noticed that the car is acting better for me. I only pulled the fuse for the MyTouch once (it rebooted twice on it's own) the first week of ownership.

I think what confuses it is when I was initially playing with all of the settings. Now that I have stuff set the way I want it, it acts much better. I think most of BT Audio issues is iPhone.

The system is slow, especially when first starting up. Sometimes there is a slight lag in some features. I think this is due to all the connections it's trying to make as soon as I start up.

Yes. It does need help and I hope a software update will come soon.

Not sure if it will make you feel any better but I have noticed that the car is acting better for me. I only pulled the fuse for the MyTouch once (it rebooted twice on it's own) the first week of ownership.

I think what confuses it is when I was initially playing with all of the settings. Now that I have stuff set the way I want it, it acts much better. I think most of BT Audio issues is iPhone.

The system is slow, especially when first starting up. Sometimes there is a slight lag in some features. I think this is due to all the connections it's trying to make as soon as I start up.

Yes. It does need help and I hope a software update will come soon.

One other note:

I'm watching Cnet Brian Cooley review the cadilac cts coupe. He's having more trouble with its cabin tech than I've had with my edge.

Also consider that this forum is most likely not a complete cross section of Edge owners. You're going to get posts from people who only report the bad stuff.

Edited by wilsons66604

Tony

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have an 11 SEL and have had no problems with NAv, BT, iPod, Travel link or anything. Salesman paired my phone and did the setup of nav, if that has anything to do with it.

Tony

I have had my 2011 LTD Edge for about 5 days now, so not a good sample period, but I wanted to chime in that I have not in over 15 years had fun driving a car until now. I do not regret my choice at all. I have had no problems to speak of, but for iphone related BT (I blame Apple as the BT is uber-flakey on the 4...but it does stream which is all I ask so my kids can watch a movie on it in the back seat and hear it via the car's sound system). I find the interface is brilliant and once you get the settings where you want them, and just "use it", it is simple and effective.

I also find the MFT true to the press: It does NOT add to diver distraction. I used to fumble with my iphone (i.e. trying to look at the google maps to find Starbucks or something) or with my old Kenwood stereo (which had Bluetooth too) as I drove and now I do not. I am more focused on the road.

I actually get a bit giddy getting ready to drive to and from work. I am sure it will wear off and this will become just normal transportation, but for now I feel like a teenager who just got his license (so hopefully the adaptive cruise will keep me out of trouble).

So don't fret or pre-regret as I feel confident you will be satisfied with your 40K plus car. Let us know after you get it!

Tony,

Just wanted to chime in. I have had my sport for about month now. I have NO issues at all with the vehicle. Yes, the screen is a little slow WHEN compared to a LAPTOP or PC. Please understand that there is not 1 car at 40k that will have PC style reactions IF they even had this amount of information on their screen. I am POSITIVE that Ford will only make it (software) better with the time to come. This is NOT a 1 off car. This will be available in many, if not most, Ford vehicles in the years to come.

Wilsons66604 said, "Also consider that this forum is most likely not a complete cross section of Edge owners. You're going to get posts from people who only report the bad stuff."

This is somewhat true. People love to complain. Not many make a point or the effort to praise something.

So, I will help the others change the stats. I am a former BMW X5 4.8l V8 driver. Had all the bells and whistles. Now I have the Edge Sport. I am very satisfied, especially at half the price. Yes, I miss the 50 extra horses a little and the V8 sound from the pipes, but my wallet weight now may be the reason for this car being somewhat slower off the line. All joking aside, I am very happy with my new car. The tech is nice (and I am a tech guy). Yes it will get better with time. Just watch how many manufacturers will try to catch up SOON. I am glad I made a choice to by American (North American, not forgetting my good neighbors to the North).

Easy to find problems with any single car out there. Here's a forum full of issues on the VW: http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/forum/41-problems-bugs-fixes/

If you base your decision on that, you'll never buy a car period. No one has invented the perfect car. If you want to compare the Tiguan though, I can tell you brother picked his up on July 29th (2010). Its been back to the dealer six times, the transmission already replaced. All cars have problems, I doubt the Ford Edge will have more than most.

With respect to BT issues, most of them are IPhone. Don't buy an IPhone and you avoid many of those issues. Even still I'm sure the majority of issues (as well as new ones created) will be solved through software updates.

Seems like all the recent post here are correct, in my opinion. People will tend to point out the one or two things that they find bothersome rather than the 100 things they like...............just like I am about to. I have had my 11 Ltd for a little over a month and completely in love with it. As someone mentioned I haven't had this much fun driving since I got my license at 16, and that was quite some time ago. I love the handling, the size, the room you get, comfort and all the convenience and safety features. The tech features were a bit overwhelming at first but I got used to them. The only 2 issues I have had and they are minor is the darn emergency flasher and for some reason, it has happened twice, I get an SD card reading error. It has always worked fine after shutting off the car and when I restart for return trip it works fine. I have an iPhone and have never had a problem in pairing. I used to BT stream the music, but loaded all my music onto a USB thumb drive and use that. I find selecting music from the center console, easier and safer than messing with the phone to find a song. Personally I am not doing much of that , but rather enjoying the Sirius music, while it is still free. Haven't decided if I will continue it when subscription runs out, but am really liking it, and I have not had any issues with any of their features not working as some seem to. So IMHO I am really happy with the choice I made and would recommend the vehicle to a friend.

It's posts like this and many others that have made me second guess my decision to buy this car.

Tony

Tony,

As others have said this forum lets us vent on those little things that bug us. You so won't regret this car!

Most of my frustrations have been due to the learning curve on my part. :doh:

My blackberry has worked flawlessly since it was first paired.

My ipod streams with no problems.

The system loads everytime you start the car... so just like your computer when you start it, it takes a few minutes to get everything loaded. Once it has it works great. If you pay attention to the touch screen and push where it's highlighted you don't have to push hard.

Yes the Nav is different than my Garmin but not bad, just different, so it took a while to get used to it.

You have to drive it yourself and then come to your own conclusion....

But I LOVE MY EDGE! :hyper:

I am so excited to drive it every time I get in! I have had nothing but compliments. :shift:

Try to take this forum at face value... tricks or quirks

The only time I have had the fan kick on real high was getting in it around 35-40 degree temps and it was trying to get up to 70 - but that only lasted a few seconds and it calmed back down. In the morning driving out of our garage at home - the fan doesn't react to it going from a nice warm bed to the harsh cold outdoors. We have been having below freezing in the morning but been just fine. Loving the heated seats though. ooo laa laaa

My only major problem I have had in almost three weeks of having my car is the sirius stuff not all being enabled. I also haven't bothered much to try and fix it - it doesn't work in Alaska anyway. I haven't had to pull any fuses, no resets on my sync - my iphone 3gs has had nooooooo problems connecting or using phone features. I have an ipod nano that I leave connected through usb that has worked great. I find the times I try to push harder on "buttons" is because I am off a bit in the location. The emergency flashers haven't gotten me in a week or so, so getting better about not resting my hand.

All in All - I love this car. I am guessing when you get yours you will find quirks at first too, but over all you will be happy with your selection.

Yeah, please don't misunderstand my post. I was just wondering if this was a known software glitch to be fixed or an actual issue with this 1 vehicle. I'm still getting an Edge, just not sure which model yet! :) Honestly, for me it's all about the service department being able and willing to address any needs that may come up. On a postivie note, I do have to say the interior is very much an upgrade from the already decent one of our 07 Edge. Softer materials and padding in touch areas are nice upgrades. Not to mention it's a tech person's dream! :)

Yeah, please don't misunderstand my post. I was just wondering if this was a known software glitch to be fixed or an actual issue with this 1 vehicle. I'm still getting an Edge, just not sure which model yet! :) Honestly, for me it's all about the service department being able and willing to address any needs that may come up. On a postivie note, I do have to say the interior is very much an upgrade from the already decent one of our 07 Edge. Softer materials and padding in touch areas are nice upgrades. Not to mention it's a tech person's dream! :)

I upgraded from a 2007 as well. The 2011 is much nicer in quality as well as fit and finish. You're going to love it

Tony

Tony

I too was feeling like you before I took delivery of my Ltd. I was reading all the posts about re-booting (the infamous fuse #29, iphone4 not synching, screen blacking out etc....

To date I have not experienced any of this sans the screen lag (knock on wood) and the lag is not very disconcerting.

Overall the car has been great!!! I am so glad I ordered it.

There were some very tempting deals on 2010 Edges (9K off sticker) but I really wanted the new Edge as I was coming off of an "07 Edge.

For me the wait was definitely worth it.

Mine is Bordeaux Reserve Red and it is absolutely beautiful - Outstanding color!

Also, remember on forums you almost always see more negative than positive comments. It is a place where people share experiences and vent/seek advice.

Keep the faith and think positive; it's a really nice car. Enjoy it!

Edited by e-Mel

Ok, I've had my car a month now and a few problems, 1 major that is not solved yet.

First, I agree with everyone that I really like the edge. The Nav system and Sync have some bugs that will be fixed I'm sure. I'm one of the ones with the announcements in miles while everything else is shown in KM. It is a problem with the software not holding the KM setting when the car is shutoff. If I switch from KM to miles and back to KM then all announcements are in KM; until I shut off the car and it defaults back to announcements in miles. This problem has been escalated to enginnering.

Nav system takes some learning but works pretty well. Sure wished there were folders and more space for storing destinations. Right now only 25. I've got 25 soccer fields alone.

The only major problem I've had is that the advancetrac service warning keeps coming on and this weekend the car started to grab only on the front driver wheel. It felt like the ABS was on for a split second and then off for 2 seconds and then repeated sometimes up to 12 times. Took in on Tuesday and they've narrowed it down to a faulty RCM (restraint control module). I thought that module only dealt with the air bag system. Not sure how it works with the AdvanceTrac or did they tell me the wrong module. Maybe it is the RSC module?

Now have no car for 5 days while new part comes in as AdvanceTrac cannot be shutoff manually.

Great!!

Freddie

Hey There,

Well, after I posted my "rant / vent" regarding my concerns, I had a little too much to drink and wound up cancelling my order with Ford, I just couldn't take it anymore! I was certain that every new Edge was going to be a lemon so i didn't want to take any chances so I'm ordering a Kia instead.

Ok, just kidding!

Just want to say that I truly appreciate everyone chiming in after my post and reassuring me that things will be fine and not to worry. I also appreciate all the POSITIVE feedback people posted as it's one of the rare things you find on any forum like some of you stated and it feels good reading these things, it's a positive change to all the questions and problems we have seen the last few weeks..we should do a post like "What is your favourite thing about your new Edge" to get some GOOD feedback for those who haven't ordered one yet or still on the fence about it.

I can tell you that the positive stuff in the last few posts have definitely made me feel better about my purchase and Im back to being somewhat excited again :)

I guess we are the first to play around with this vehicle and discover some of its quirks and bugs, however since like someone mentioned, it's like a darn computer in your car, here's hoping to software patches and updates to stabilize everything and get the final small details sorted out like the KM vs. Miles reset for the Navi etc...

So, I've read a post not to long ago about someone getting a software update to fix a problem they were having...was this update available to everyone or is everyone pretty much on the same "version" right now? Can we see which version we have and compare it to other people on the forum? I'm guessing the USA version and Canada version will prob differ slightly also. If we found a way to compare, it may help those with problems know if they have an older version installed.

Whenever someone see's, does or finds out about an update, please make sure to let the rest of us know!

Stupid question now...so, if all the same software / version is being used off the assembly line, how is it that some people have issues and others don't?? Why would it be working fine in some cars and not in others? This would go for any of the challenges we've read about so far.

This is something I don't get? Did some of the software not "load" properly via wifi while going down the assembly line?

Edited by Dreamss

Hey There,

Well, after I posted my "rant / vent" regarding my concerns, I had a little too much to drink and wound up cancelling my order with Ford, I just couldn't take it anymore! I was certain that every new Edge was going to be a lemon so i didn't want to take any chances so I'm ordering a Kia instead.

Stupid question now...so, if all the same software / version is being used off the assembly line, how is it that some people have issues and others don't?? Why would it be working fine in some cars and not in others? This would go for any of the challenges we've read about so far.

This is something I don't get? Did some of the software not "load" properly via wifi while going down the assembly line?

Cool Dreamss! What model of Kia?? It's amazing how nice they look after several drinks!

Glad to hear you stuck with the Edge!

I've formulated a theory on why some are having issue and some are not. ... Some people don't push the limits of the tech features as hard as others. Those who poke around and try to configure everything (like me) find that they have issues.

I also think that my issue are clearing up because the Windows system needed a couple of reboots to finish the install process. So I bet the assembly line install process needs a few more reboots added to the install.

Should the first mod/hack be a "reboot" button on fuse 29??

also, the Microsoft Touch system is not all that iPhone friendly

When do you get your Edge Dreamss??

Edited by wilsons66604