Front License plate holder REMOVAL

Edgieguy

Yep like the title says, Front License Plate Holder Removal.

My 2011 Sport came with a big ole' chunk of plastic riveted through the front bumper and I just couldn't see fit to put a license plate up there, so....... I took it off. Wasn't sure if it was a screw with a rear backer or a rivet? Its a rivet. I started with small drill bits and worked my way up to a 7/32 and the whole thing fell off. It left two, you guessed it, 7/32" holes in the bumper, but after blackening the inside of the holes with a permanent ink marker, they're hardly noticeable standing a three feet away. The look is a WHOLE lot cleaner than the big plastic holder, so i'm happy. I'll keep my eyes open for any rounded buttons that might fit in there to plug the holes completely

My 2011 Sport came with a big ole' chunk of plastic riveted through the front bumper and I just couldn't see fit to put a license plate up there, so....... I took it off. Wasn't sure if it was a screw with a rear backer or a rivet? Its a rivet. I started with small drill bits and worked my way up to a 7/32 and the whole thing fell off. It left two, you guessed it, 7/32" holes in the bumper, but after blackening the inside of the holes with a permanent ink marker, they're hardly noticeable standing a three feet away. The look is a WHOLE lot cleaner than the big plastic holder, so i'm happy. I'll keep my eyes open for any rounded buttons that might fit in there to plug the holes completely

I feel your pain. In FL we dont have front plates and my black sport came with that horrible piece of junk attached to it. To make it worse the dealer put a their HUGE YELLOW advert plate on front. I almost kicked the sales manager in the nuts when he said it looked just fine. He literally grabbed me by the shoulder to pull me back out of my car because I was leaving the dealership. (I only waited 4 months for the car). They promised to remove it and fix it at my first service, but without replacing the front grill, I dont see how they will fill the holes permanently.

Post some closeup pics if you can. I would love to see the difference. Since you have the sport your grill is black too. I also took some pictures of the BLACK sport at the Miami Beach Car Show last week. Of course the one on the spinning display at the show didnt have the stupid plate on it. I wanted to swap the grill right there.....

post-10023-017763200 1290309095_thumb.jpg

post-10023-047293300 1290309137_thumb.jpg

Had the same problem with mine. Dealer accidentally ordered the front plate bracket when placing order for my car, as it comes installed from factory. I was pissed too when I went to pickup the car.

Dealer was like, I won't order a new grill since that's 500 bucks, but I'll order a whole Sport model and swap out the grill when it gets here in 2-3 months. If I have any paint chips or bug damage he wouldn't swap out the grill.

So I asked them to remove the bracket and see what they can do. They found a couple of plugs that sit very tight in the large holes. It's not ideal, but I can live with it (plus I'm leasing so in 36 months it's gone).

These pictures accentuate the caps since I captured the light hitting them. In normal conditions you really can't tell much. Doesn't detract from overall look as much as the dumb plate bracket. If I were keeping the car for 10 years I might have gone the swap-a-grill route. Someone else on the board here had the dealer order a new grill... YMMV.

post-10684-088838700 1290345299_thumb.jpg

post-10684-075470300 1290345332_thumb.jpg

This is the part number for the lower grill.

Part #8200E Grill Ford Series ST Version ; Paint to Match $117.05

The chrome grill is the same part number but more expensive at $174.

The dealer would probably spray the part for minimum since they'd have the matching paint in stock already. My dealer told me they'd shoot it for $50, if I had the part. But I dont know if i wanna spend 175 to get rid of two small holes...

Hi gang. :D As has been mentioned above, there are a few options that may help some of you: First, you can purchase screw caps that fit over and hide screw heads. For example, they are usually sold to hide/camouflage the license plate screws themselves. So you would remove the license plate bracket, place a screw in the hole and install the cap to hide the screw.

They are available in chrome, black and a few colors. If you can not find your particular body color, you can purchase a can of matching spray paint and prep/paint them to match.

Another option: You can use simple push-pin type plastic fasteners with flat heads to fill the holes. And in the same manner, you can paint them to match the bumper/grill color (although matching chrome would be tougher with these,, since chrome paints are sort of iffy...). These items and the paints needed will be available at any good automotive store. You can also get the paint at your local Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Dealer.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 4 weeks later...

Yep...that ugly front license plate bracket was the 1st thing to come off when I got the new 2011 Edge home. I drilled out the rivets and found the perfect sized plastic push-pin type fasteners in the "Help" section of my local Kragen Auto Parts store. They are interior fasteners for GM's and the heads are round/mostly flat and just larger than the holes left by the rivets. They are gloss black and not very noticable - I may paint them silver some day but they really don't look bad as is.

Hows the law regarding license plates on the front bumper? Can I remove it entirely or do I have to move it to the dashboard like some people do?

Yeah. With the dealerships plastic hulking license plate holder its kinda becoming an eyesore. NEW PROJECT!

I live in Hawaii FYI if its different in other states

Hi gang. :D As has been mentioned above, there are a few options that may help some of you: First, you can purchase screw caps that fit over and hide screw heads. For example, they are usually sold to hide/camouflage the license plate screws themselves. So you would remove the license plate bracket, place a screw in the hole and install the cap to hide the screw.

They are available in chrome, black and a few colors. If you can not find your particular body color, you can purchase a can of matching spray paint and prep/paint them to match.

Another option: You can use simple push-pin type plastic fasteners with flat heads to fill the holes. And in the same manner, you can paint them to match the bumper/grill color (although matching chrome would be tougher with these,, since chrome paints are sort of iffy...). These items and the paints needed will be available at any good automotive store. You can also get the paint at your local Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Dealer.

Hope this information helps.

Curious... are the 'screw caps that fit over and hide screw heads' available from Ford?

Curious... are the 'screw caps that fit over and hide screw heads' available from Ford?

Hi moreheads. :D The screw caps I was discussing were purchased at a "Strauss Auto" store. It is a franchise auto store like "Pep Boys" etc.. The caps are usually used to hide the license plate screws so they are usually displayed in the same area as license plate frames. I have also purchased them in the past from my local speed store. Again, usually available in gloss black, chrome and a few colors.

I don't think many Ford Dealer would normally carry an aftermarket item like those particular screw caps, but it never hurts to ask. The pushpins are more generic (they are used to fasten carpet, interior pieces etc.) so your local Ford Dealer may be able to sell you something. But again, the pushpins would be available at any large auto store.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi moreheads. :D The screw caps I was discussing were purchased at a "Strauss Auto" store. It is a franchise auto store like "Pep Boys" etc.. The caps are usually used to hide the license plate screws so they are usually displayed in the same area as license plate frames. I have also purchased them in the past from my local speed store. Again, usually available in gloss black, chrome and a few colors.

I don't think many Ford Dealer would normally carry an aftermarket item like those particular screw caps, but it never hurts to ask. The pushpins are more generic (they are used to fasten carpet, interior pieces etc.) so your local Ford Dealer may be able to sell you something. But again, the pushpins would be available at any large auto store.

Thanks beerchug ;) I found these, http://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Accessories-82030-Covers-Chrome/dp/B00032KC30/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top, at the local Advance Auto parts and they work and look great. Like little chrome nipples on the front of the bumper. Ended up super-gluing the clear plastic part to a screw anchor and then gluing that into the 7/32 hole; couldn't easily get to the back of the bumper to put a nut and washer on a bolt. Once the glue set up the chrome caps when on just fine.

Actually found a nice, thin chrome license plate frame from Cruiser there also. Starting to look nice and clean instead of all the superfluous junk they put on at the dealer.

Thanks,

Skip

• 2 weeks later...

I have a limited that also had a license plate bracket installed. I drilled out the rivets to remove the holder and then was left with the two holes. I then proceeded to drill them out with a 3/8" drill bit and then picked up some chrome plugs at Lowes in the hardware department for $1.04 each and they snapped in place and looks so much better. They blend in pretty well. Just another idea.

I did the same removal of the license plate holder. I also found some hole plugs to fill in the holes from the rivets. I fould them at Coles Hardware, but Lowes has them too. They are called a plastic locking hole plugs. All you need to know is around what size the hole is and match to a hole plug. You may have to make the hole a standard size, I did to get the hole plaug to match up. I simply snapped the hole plug in and it looks great, and for $0.36 its a cheap fix.

I did the same removal of the license plate holder. I also found some hole plugs to fill in the holes from the rivets. I fould them at Coles Hardware, but Lowes has them too. They are called a plastic locking hole plugs. All you need to know is around what size the hole is and match to a hole plug. You may have to make the hole a standard size, I did to get the hole plaug to match up. I simply snapped the hole plug in and it looks great, and for $0.36 its a cheap fix.

Please do follow up with a photo when you can.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up my Edge Limited yesterday and removed the front license plate bracket. I drilled the rivets using a 7/32" bit and then purchased 3/8" chrome hole plugs at Lowe's, drilled the holes to 3/8" and put the plugs in. It doesn't look bad, I guess it's better than spending $175 to purchase a new part.

Just picked up my Edge Limited yesterday and removed the front license plate bracket. I drilled the rivets using a 7/32" bit and then purchased 3/8" chrome hole plugs at Lowe's, drilled the holes to 3/8" and put the plugs in. It doesn't look bad, I guess it's better than spending $175 to purchase a new part.

Was thinking about removing the license plate bracket on my car. I'm glad that I found this out before planning my grille completely. Looks like I'm DEFINITELY going with the black vinyl wrap idea. I'm liking it more and more everyday and this thread is just the icing on this cake.

• 2 months later...

I ordered the new filler panel,but not sure I'm going to pick it up as the two black plugs I used, are not that noticable ( it looks exactlly like Gatorcat's) I will just paint them tuxcedo black to hide them even more..

If you have a black Edge, go to your local Pep Boy's / kragen, etc., and get the flat plastic push fasteners in the HELP section. There are some that are for GM that fit perfectly are very flat and are gloss black. I just did this for my new Tuxedo black MKX and they blend right in.

Hi, I am trying to take the plate holder off, but it was hard because I moved the upper three grilles without moving the whole bumper away. So, can you tell me how did you move your holder?? Thanks

Hi, I am trying to take the plate holder off, but it was hard because I moved the upper three grilles without moving the whole bumper away. So, can you tell me how did you move your holder?? Thanks

I pulled the whole bumper when I was wrapping my grille in vinyl.

Then I cut out the anchors with a dremel and pliers.

I pulled the whole bumper when I was wrapping my grille in vinyl.

Then I cut out the anchors with a dremel and pliers.

Thanks for replying, but I am not sure how to pull the whole piece, looks like the bumper is attached with something else. I tried to lift it, but did not work.