2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

I hope I can get some help on this forum. I have a 5 day old 2011 Limited Explorer with My Ford Touch and am experiencing the following issues. After the system suddenly rebooted itself on Monday, whenever I am on the navigation screen there is an icon with the go back button and next to it it says NAV.MAP, wen pressed to try to clear, it brings me back to the previous screen. If I am on the home screen, the same icon appears and the caption is HOME, when pressed to clear, it clears, but with both issues once the car stops and then accelerates the issue comes back. Pictures of all events are at the bottom of this post. I have checked syncmyride.com and it is showing that i have 3 of the same update installed;

BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 2/9/2011

BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 1/26/2011

BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 1/26/2011

I am hoping that someone here has seen this issue before, I have no faith in the dealership after reading some stories on other forums.

Monday Restart

reboot.jpg

NAV Message

nav.jpg

Home Message

home.jpg

Hello all. I am the proud owner of a six day old MKX. Three of those days were spent reading this most enlightening forum from start to finish. Lots of good information here. After reading some of the horror stories, I'm almost embarassed to post my minor (by comparrison) issues, but this certainly seemed like the place to come and vent.

The cell phone disconnecting at random has already been reported by numerous people here so I don't think there's any reason to mention it, except for the fact that when I picked my car up this past Friday, we paired the phone at the dealership and it quickly lost the connection. That's when the sales man commented, "Oh, you must have one of those phones that won't stay linked". After seeing all the other phones out there that "won't stay linked", it's obvious to me that this is a SYNC problem.

The one big thing that bothers me, particularly because it's one of the features that persuaded me to buy the car is the remote start. The remote itself actually works fine, but when you start it, it's also supposed to activate the heated seats, steering wheel and rear defroster. Unfortunately, that's the stuff that don't work. Not being able to keep my car in a garage, I was really looking forward to getting into a toasty warm car in the morning. But that ain't happening.

The last issue I have is indeed the most trivial, but it's always the small stuff that knaws at you. I don't like anything 'Apple', so all my music is strictly .mp3. At first, it wouldn't even recognize my memory stick. I was using a 16 gig stick and I thought that may have been too big, having seen this issue before with some antiquated technology, so I loaded up a 2 gig stick and it worked....sort of. The music played fine, but a lot of the titles and artists were 'unknown'. Those that were had all CAPITALS and some others were all lower case. Certainly not the way I archived them. They worked fine in my previous vehicles mp3 player and my computer. So I went back to the computer and modified all the 'meta tags', the information that you can access when right clicking and selecting 'properties' on a computer. Still no good. It turns out that the player in the SYNC system is based on the latest version of Windows Media Player. Version 12.0.7xxx has it's own editor in it that will enable you to make the appropriate adjustments. That fixed the labeling problem. Unfortuantely, while I was doing this, there was another feature that allowed you to download "Album Art" for your mp3's. I did that while editing and it worked really well...on the comuter. Now, when I play an mp3 in the car, I have the all the titles and artists and even the ablum art...except when I play Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd's album art comes up. The Who might have Crosby, Stills and Nash's album art.

I know I took the long route to get to this minor problem, but I wanted to let others know how to fix the text on mp3's if they're as anal as I am about capitalization and stuff like that.

Well guys, thanks for listening. Sorry for the extrordinarily long initial post.

Bob

The first thing I would do is create an an account Syncmyride.com and make sure you have the latest version of software.

On remote start, double check the settings on the left menu. I set my climate control features to Auto. If it's under 32f the seats start warming up as well as the defrosters. Seats won't get hot but they will not be cold.

I'm not sure about the Album art issues. I just keep an old iPod plugged in.

• Like 1

I have waited as long as I have been able to take my 2011 Lincoln MKX to my dealer for the MLT Download. I took delivery the end of September 2010 and within a week had experienced the dreaded black screen, which suddenly recovered about 4 hours later when I was backing up and the camera suddenly started working. Put the vehicle in drive and everything was back to normal. The has occurred 4 times since then with the screen going black for a whole day and then recovering when the vehicle was started the next day. Lots of problems getting the touch screen to work in cold weather, even though the vehicle is in a garage.. Navigation has been all over the place with the vehicle being shown in the middle of a field while driving on major highways, and then back and forth between field and highway. No changes made to the highway in a number of years.

I have waited, until there were some good reports on various Sync /MF/MLT forums that the new download was working fairly well. My wife and myself head to Southern California in two weeks, so I had my vehicle into the dealer for servicing and the download yesterday. Had it in for 8 AM and about 4:30 PM got a call from the service manager. From the tone of his voice I knew right away something was wrong. He advised that the electronics tech had been working all day trying to get the download completed without success and it looked like the module in my vehicle was fried and they would have to order a new one. He wanted me to drive my vehicle until the new module came in. Time frame given was between 2 days and 2 weeks. I had told him that while I was semi retired I needed a vehicle for the next week as I was working on some contracts in Calgary. Finally they delivered a 2011 loaner Escape to my residence. It now looks like they will have a new module delivered to them today or tomorrow.

This is my 5th new Ford vehicle that I have purchased in 12 years and my 2008 Edge SYNC system after some minor problems corrected by myself downloading and installing the fix ran like a charm.

I expected some problems with MLT in the beginning but thought that it would be similar to the SYNC system in the Edge and easily corrected. I got an email about two months ago from Lincoln Canada Customer Service asking for comments or any problems I was having with my vehicle. and emailed them back with the good and the bad. Never heard from them again.

Hopefully the module comes in and I can get back on the road again. The vehicle itself drives like a dream and I can't say enough good things about this aspect of it.

Oh no... fingers crossed for a quick fix.

I got my baby back yesterday! :hyper: Luckily the new APIM module came in yesterday morning fully updated! They installed it in my Edge and now everything is working great!

The service manager told me that the problem is the download speed from FORD and that when the download takes so long it sometimes fries the APIM module.

I hate that my Edge was in the shop for 3 days for what should have been a couple hour update... but I'm glad it's now fixed and everything is working great.

I finally have all the Sirius travel link features that I should have had all along... and my Sirius subscription runs out March 11. :redcard: Now I'm trying to decided if I want to pay to extend it.

I got my baby back yesterday! :hyper: Luckily the new APIM module came in yesterday morning fully updated! They installed it in my Edge and now everything is working great!

The service manager told me that the problem is the download speed from FORD and that when the download takes so long it sometimes fries the APIM module.

I hate that my Edge was in the shop for 3 days for what should have been a couple hour update... but I'm glad it's now fixed and everything is working great.

I finally have all the Sirius travel link features that I should have had all along... and my Sirius subscription runs out March 11. :redcard: Now I'm trying to decided if I want to pay to extend it.

The service manager is lying to you. They do not download directly to the APIM. It gets downloaded to a USB stick and they have to use the ford program tool to upload it to your car.

The service manager is lying to you. They do not download directly to the APIM. It gets downloaded to a USB stick and they have to use the ford program tool to upload it to your car.

Logic dictates that one should never install firmware while streaming data from a remote device, let alone over a Internet connection. Normally it is downloaded and saved to reliable local storage, integrity checked and only then installed.

This is what I assumed Ford was doing, because to do otherwise is plainly stupid. Yet there have been many reports here of Ford doing the stupid thing and I even asked the question directly to my dealer who told me Ford instructs them to download directly to the vehicle. Well if that is indeed so, we know why so many installs are not fully successful (like mine) or are utterly disastrous. Ford is no software company but are they really that incompetent?!

• Like 1

Logic dictates that one should never install firmware while streaming data from a remote device, let alone over a Internet connection. Normally it is downloaded and saved to reliable local storage, integrity checked and only then installed.

This is what I assumed Ford was doing, because to do otherwise is plainly stupid. Yet there have been many reports here of Ford doing the stupid thing and I even asked the question directly to my dealer who told me Ford instructs them to download directly to the vehicle. Well if that is indeed so, we know why so many installs are not fully successful (like mine) or are utterly disastrous. Ford is no software company but are they really that incompetent?!

Ford isn't doing any of this - the dealers are. And I'd be willing to bet that Ford doesn't instruct the dealers to download directly to the device and that's just how some dealerships are choosing to do it either because they misinterpreted the instructions or they don't have a USB flash drive.

Remember these are the same dealers who were told they needed a USB cable but didn't order them.

Not saying Ford is perfect or they didn't screw up but I think a lot of the blame goes to the unprepared dealers.

• Like 1

Yeah Catherine - so glad it works now. Get your dealership to pay for an extension on the Sirius....

Ford isn't doing any of this - the dealers are. And I'd be willing to bet that Ford doesn't instruct the dealers to download directly to the device and that's just how some dealerships are choosing to do it either because they misinterpreted the instructions or they don't have a USB flash drive.

Remember these are the same dealers who were told they needed a USB cable but didn't order them.

Not saying Ford is perfect or they didn't screw up but I think a lot of the blame goes to the unprepared dealers.

What can I say? I asked the service person this exact question and I was told that they follow Ford's instructions which is install it on the vehicle as they download it. I can't remember the exact wording but she even seemed to agree with me that that was a very bad idea.

Surely just about anyone who uses a computer at least has access to a USB storage device? But it is true that my dealer was one of those who claimed that they couldn't do any of the Sync upgrades because they were waiting (for Ford apparently) to send them the "special" USB cable. They waited many weeks for that special cable which turned out to be an extremely common mini-USB.

The first thing I would do is create an an account Syncmyride.com and make sure you have the latest version of software.

On remote start, double check the settings on the left menu. I set my climate control features to Auto. If it's under 32f the seats start warming up as well as the defrosters. Seats won't get hot but they will not be cold.

Settings are set to Auto. Amzingly enough, the steering wheel warmed up this morning, but not the seat.

I plan on going to Syncmyride.com, but I was much more impressed by the knowledge that was being shared here. Hope to get around to it this weekend.

Thanks.

I just got home from the dealer. Got there at 9am, car was ready around 1pm. (They also replaced the rear hatch blue oval. More on that later.)

Received the 2.3 update. While I haven't been having the troubles as most, I have had 1 "system maintenance" episode, only 3 of 8 Travel Link subscriptions from the start and the rear hatch has opened by itself 3 times. The second time that occurred, my wife came home and of course not knowing there was anything wrong, attempted to open the garage door. It hit "something" and closed. She did this a couple times before I could investigate. The hatch being opened caused the garage door to scratch the crap out of the rear Ford emblem. (Replaced as a warranty item, btw.)

I checked out everything before I left the dealer and all seemed OK. Ambient light colors were fine, nothing seemed missing (Ford CRC had told me that if an update is done incorrectly, things like Vehicle Health Report sometimes just vanishes.) And... all my Travel Link subs were listed as "subscribed." Yippee! They all had hourglass icons and upon selection, said accessing information... may take a while.

Turned the car off, finished up with the dealer and tested some more. I see sports scores, ski reports. All good. Turn off. Restart the car and now 6 of 8 Travel Link subs are "unsubscribed." wtf? Off again and one more restart and all seems good. I'll have to see how that goes.

I spoke with the tech afterwards. He did have trouble getting the update to take. He briefly stated his process: download from Ford to a flash drive, then through a connected laptop, install. He had to contact Ford tech support and together they managed to get the full update completed. He also said every Edge he's updated with 2.3 has had similar problems, but each finally got updated successfully. He also tried to apply the 2.4 update and could not get it to take. I'll try that tomorrow. Before I left the dealer, I logged onto syncmyride and saw that I had 2.3 with 2.4 ready for download.

What can I say? I asked the service person this exact question and I was told that they follow Ford's instructions which is install it on the vehicle as they download it. I can't remember the exact wording but she even seemed to agree with me that that was a very bad idea.

Dealers are not the most tech-savvy users to begin with. It's possible those were Ford's directions but it's also possible they misinterpreted it.

I checked out everything before I left the dealer and all seemed OK. Ambient light colors were fine, nothing seemed missing (Ford CRC had told me that if an update is done incorrectly, things like Vehicle Health Report sometimes just vanishes.) And... all my Travel Link subs were listed as "subscribed." Yippee! They all had hourglass icons and upon selection, said accessing information... may take a while.

Turned the car off, finished up with the dealer and tested some more. I see sports scores, ski reports. All good. Turn off. Restart the car and now 6 of 8 Travel Link subs are "unsubscribed." wtf? Off again and one more restart and all seems good. I'll have to see how that goes.

Read your post before I left work. Never even tried the travel link button, so when I got in my driveway I thought I'd play a bit. Pressed the info button and went though all the stuff there. HOW COOL. Got gas prices, got weather and weather maps, got movie listings, sports scores and more. Went inside to tell the wife about all the cool stuff I found. Took her out to show it to her and nothing worked. Pushed the button and just got the "Accessing Information....May Take A While" notice, and then nothing. Still said I was subscribed to everything, but I guess I have a once a day limit on usage. (Computers really do need a sarcasm font)

Took your advice and created an account. Looks like I'm up to date:

Sync Version Gen2 - V2.4

Confirmed installations

BT4T-14D546-AG

BT4T-14F496-BJ

BT4T-14F497-AG

SYNC compatible software

BT4T-14F603-AG

Dealer-Installed Upgrades and SYNC Tools

BT4T-14D546-EB Version 1.1

SYNC GEN 2 STATUS CHECKER

SYNC Download & Installation History for this vehicle Back

BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 1/24/2011

BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 1/21/2011

Waiting to download 0 items.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few more observations... On the infotainment screen (next to the speedometer), I lost the USB and AV input selections. CD, AM/FM and Sirius are still there. They're not actually totally lost... They do both occasionally pop up for a few seconds, but then vanish again. It's interesting that they do this as a pair and not individually.

This actually looks like some pretty neat stuff (from the syncmyride page) if they could just get it to work reliably.

I just got home from the dealer. Got there at 9am, car was ready around 1pm. (They also replaced the rear hatch blue oval. More on that later.)

Received the 2.3 update. While I haven't been having the troubles as most, I have had 1 "system maintenance" episode, only 3 of 8 Travel Link subscriptions from the start and the rear hatch has opened by itself 3 times. The second time that occurred, my wife came home and of course not knowing there was anything wrong, attempted to open the garage door. It hit "something" and closed. She did this a couple times before I could investigate. The hatch being opened caused the garage door to scratch the crap out of the rear Ford emblem. (Replaced as a warranty item, btw.)

I've had my hatch open on it's own but I always assumed the fob button got pressed. There have been a few time in the driveway and in a parking lot. There have been 3 times that the hatch popped open as I got in the car. Odd.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that since the upgrade the "i" on the main screen is YELLOW. Mine used to be white. I didn't notice this until yesterday when I was using my travel link and noticed the "i" is now bright yellow.

Mine's still white, too.

I spoke with the tech afterwards. He also tried to apply the 2.4 update and could not get it to take. I'll try that tomorrow. Before I left the dealer, I logged onto syncmyride and saw that I had 2.3 with 2.4 ready for download.

I was able to successfully install the 2.4 update and all the Travel Link subs are still subscribed and working. So far, so good.

Hello everybody,

this is my first post on this forum. Till now I was just monitoring...

Anyway, I love my Edge limited driving wise but as far as software it s....s. Yesterday I had to leave a little after 5AM so I remotely started my car to warm it up (outside was freezing) then I jumped in the shower. I come out from bathroom and I hear loud

music from outside. I'm thinking: is this my car? Jumped out of the house, sure enough, the volume is almost all the way up. WTF, I know I lowered it down the night before, knowing I was going to start it up so early in the morning. All my neighbours thanked me for a wake up call.

I apologized and I felt embarrased. The other day after backing out of my driveway (rear camera on) I drove straight for good half a mile with a camera still on. Pretty often on Sirrius radio, programmed stations show up blank, then I have to go to next set of staions, go back and they all show up. I am getting a little annoyed with all this crap. I'm actually affraid to go on a longer trip with this car. I called Ford cust svc. the other day complaining about media player playing albums in alphabetical order which you all probably heard of.

They switched me over to Sync tech support and all I found out from a lady who sounded like she was really bored and annoyed for being bothered, that this is the way it is and she does not know anything about future updates and if it's going to be fixed. Thank you Ford! But they did confirmed I am up to date with software

Well I think I've found the culprit. The problem with Sync software is CELL PHONE. My phone (droid) paired properly and I really didn't have any problems until I upgraded to 2.4. Then it all started. Before my phone got always connected to Sync but after upgrade I've noticed many times I got in the car, driving to work and I see my phone is not connected and Sync is trying and trying... I have a feeling the BT takes all the recources from cpu when looking for your phone that a computer running all this just "goes crazy" and starts doing all those stupid things. So I deleted the phone and now, except Sirrius blanking out stations from my favs everything seems to be OK. I didn't hookup my phone back yet, still testing but I'll try today.

BTW, like I mentioned before, I'm running updated software so a visit to my dealer would cause more harm then profit, I'm afraid. I think I'm stuck with all those problems till next update which, hopefully will resolve all those problems Ford is having with Sync

My feelings: for a $38000 car we should not have to go through all this! I'm totally disappointed...

Hello everybody,

this is my first post on this forum. Till now I was just monitoring...

Anyway, I love my Edge limited driving wise but as far as software it s....s. Yesterday I had to leave a little after 5AM so I remotely started my car to warm it up (outside was freezing) then I jumped in the shower. I come out from bathroom and I hear loud

music from outside. I'm thinking: is this my car? Jumped out of the house, sure enough, the volume is almost all the way up. WTF, I know I lowered it down the night before, knowing I was going to start it up so early in the morning. All my neighbours thanked me for a wake up call.

I apologized and I felt embarrased. The other day after backing out of my driveway (rear camera on) I drove straight for good half a mile with a camera still on. Pretty often on Sirrius radio, programmed stations show up blank, then I have to go to next set of staions, go back and they all show up. I am getting a little annoyed with all this crap. I'm actually affraid to go on a longer trip with this car. I called Ford cust svc. the other day complaining about media player playing albums in alphabetical order which you all probably heard of.

They switched me over to Sync tech support and all I found out from a lady who sounded like she was really bored and annoyed for being bothered, that this is the way it is and she does not know anything about future updates and if it's going to be fixed. Thank you Ford! But they did confirmed I am up to date with software

Well I think I've found the culprit. The problem with Sync software is CELL PHONE. My phone (droid) paired properly and I really didn't have any problems until I upgraded to 2.4. Then it all started. Before my phone got always connected to Sync but after upgrade I've noticed many times I got in the car, driving to work and I see my phone is not connected and Sync is trying and trying... I have a feeling the BT takes all the recources from cpu when looking for your phone that a computer running all this just "goes crazy" and starts doing all those stupid things. So I deleted the phone and now, except Sirrius blanking out stations from my favs everything seems to be OK. I didn't hookup my phone back yet, still testing but I'll try today.

BTW, like I mentioned before, I'm running updated software so a visit to my dealer would cause more harm then profit, I'm afraid. I think I'm stuck with all those problems till next update which, hopefully will resolve all those problems Ford is having with Sync

My feelings: for a $38000 car we should not have to go through all this! I'm totally disappointed...

Typical Microsoft, buggy!