2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

Hi all........i got my 2011 Edge on Oct. 29, 2010.........everything has worked fine until the last week or so.......I have one problem............when I do the my Sync turn by turn directions, it asks me of course for the city, state, and address, which I give and it takes fine..............then, it starts to download, and before the download of the directions is complete, it disconnects and says unable to download, would you like to retry? I say yes, it tries again, and fails again. I chatted online with a Ford Sync rep. and he suggested I do a Master Reset and Soft Reset on my cell phone. I tried this, but got the same results. FYI, I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 and my carrier is AT&T.............can anyone help? Do I need to get some kind of an update from the dealer? Or is there another way? Any help would be appreciated....thanks!

I had the same thing happen to me right before my APIM died on me. Check your installed version and see what software version you are running..

Have had the latest updates and system has been relative trouble free. But out of the blue my clock was off by an hour 2 days ago. I have the clock set to use GPS and had not changed a thing. I can get it to display the correct time by turning off daylight savings time, but like I said I did not change anything before the clock decided to be an hour off.

Gremlins I guess!

Interesting - I have a clock that auto does daylight savings - which was fine when I bought it, but then they changed daylight savings dates and now I end up having to fix it 4 times instead of two. Maybe our cars will do that and your date is off?

I had the same thing happen to me right before my APIM died on me. Check your installed version and see what software version you are running..

How do I find ot what software version I am running? On the MySync website? Or in the vehicle screen itself? Do you know what menu commands i use or go to to find out? Thank you!

Interesting - I have a clock that auto does daylight savings - which was fine when I bought it, but then they changed daylight savings dates and now I end up having to fix it 4 times instead of two. Maybe our cars will do that and your date is off?

The problem is the date. The system shows October 2 as the current date instead of February 16. And I just checked the calendar on sync applications and the current date is shown as October 2, 2030. Not only is the date off but the year is off by 19 years.

Does anyone know how to change the Date? I cannot find anywhere to change the date.

Just checked on the Owner to Owner forum on the Sync site and my problem is not an isolated problem. There are others with the same problem.

Check the date (day and year) on your system and see if it is correct!

Edited by curlysir

With all the thousands of iphone users out there - has anyone gotten a good answer as to why neither contact pictures or addresses show up on the MFT? If Ford is listening, it would be awesome (and seemingly simple) to have contact address show up and be "touchable" to send to the navigation system to set as a destination. I replaced my 2+ year old Blackberry Curve (which displayed pictures and addresses on my MFT) with a new Verizon iphone 4 and now no contact pictures and no addresses. I can only assume that the MIcrosoft software in MFT isn't capable of handling the latest phone upgrades as I have read similar complaints from Droid users. Anybody have any info to share?

With all the thousands of iphone users out there - has anyone gotten a good answer as to why neither contact pictures or addresses show up on the MFT? If Ford is listening, it would be awesome (and seemingly simple) to have contact address show up and be "touchable" to send to the navigation system to set as a destination. I replaced my 2+ year old Blackberry Curve (which displayed pictures and addresses on my MFT) with a new Verizon iphone 4 and now no contact pictures and no addresses. I can only assume that the MIcrosoft software in MFT isn't capable of handling the latest phone upgrades as I have read similar complaints from Droid users. Anybody have any info to share?

It's NOT a sync or Ford issue. The phones have to support the MAP bluetooth protocol. Most phones do not. Go ask the cell phone mfrs why they don't support the necessary protocol.

Will do! Thanks! Do you know about how long it takes a dealer to download/install the update?

That is a great question. The answer can be anywhere from 3 to 4 hours to 3 days depending on if they fry your APIM while doing the upgrade. If they don't break anything in the process then its 4 hours for the update.

That is a great question. The answer can be anywhere from 3 to 4 hours to 3 days depending on if they fry your APIM while doing the upgrade. If they don't break anything in the process then its 4 hours for the update.

Feel stupid for asking, but what is an APIM? Did the tecs @ Ford Sync tell you to take it in to the dealer to get this update after you started having this problem? Did they first tell you to try a soft cell phone reboot and master reset first and it did not work? After you got the update, did everything work correctly again? The support for this stuff just isn't there is it, especially for dealers.....

Feel stupid for asking, but what is an APIM? Did the tecs @ Ford Sync tell you to take it in to the dealer to get this update after you started having this problem? Did they first tell you to try a soft cell phone reboot and master reset first and it did not work? After you got the update, did everything work correctly again? The support for this stuff just isn't there is it, especially for dealers.....

The APIM is the brain of the sync unit. I actually took the problem to them. I got a buddy who use to be a ford tech and he still have his login to there technical website and I was talking to him about the problems I had and he looked it up for me and gave me the TSB that references the problem. The dealer I purchased the car from was clueless so I ended up taking it another dealer and they got me squared away in about 3 hours. almost 2 weeks to the day of getting the update then my APIM died, basically the screen never powered on and I could not access any thing that the touch buttons controlled so they replaced that for me. Took 2 days since I brought it in at the end of a business day.

I was THIS CLOSE from crawling on my hands and knees to pull fuse 29 when to my surprise, the system rebooted on it's own.

I do think that ford still needs to work on the memory leaks in Touch. It seems like after a few weeks of use, it still gets Stupid.

I've found that when the system does its own crash/reboot/maint splash screen, plan on pulling the fuse soon.

-steve

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=3096

"To all 2011 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX owners with the MyFord Touch sytem - There is a new software update (G2 V1.1) that is now available through Ford dealers. We are taking the opportunity to offer a software update to add enhancements and compatibility improvements as well as correcting functionality of several features.

As a planned, standard process of the SYNC and MyFord Touch development process, we continue to evolve and improve the software as we add the system to new products in our line-up, such as the Explorer and Focus. This new level of software is now being made available through this current update to existing MyFord/Lincoln Touch owners.

We strongly recommend that you first contact your local Ford dealership so that they can schedule an appointment for the MyFord Touch software update. Thank you,"

It would have been nice to have some details as to what specific things were added and fixed.

Also, aren't we supposed to be able to down load our songs into the computers hard drive rather then having to play them via BT? I can't get my photo's from my phone book to download or ringtones either. My Driver 1 seat selection was working but now it's not. I have spent hours setting things up and still have these small things to iron out but I LOVE MY CAR!!

I just bought a new Edge. I haven't even had it a week. Some of my features are not working such as text messaging read aloud, cover art, etc. How can I tell if I need an upgrade or if my car already has it?

not all features will work with all phones. I know that text messages being read aloud only works with like 3 diffrent phones that no one has. Check out http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_1_30.pdf its a chart of what features work with which phone.

Also, aren't we supposed to be able to down load our songs into the computers hard drive rather then having to play them via BT? I can't get my photo's from my phone book to download or ringtones either. My Driver 1 seat selection was working but now it's not. I have spent hours setting things up and still have these small things to iron out but I LOVE MY CAR!!

There is no more hard drive based storage for the sync system. You can either hook up an mp3 player to one of the usb ports, burn mp3 cds, use a sd card, or use a usb device in addition to to bluetooth streaming to your sync system.

On the photos from the phonebook only a hand full of phones support the bluetooth protocol for that function. Check my other reply to your question to look at the compatibility list.

I looked at the compatibility list and I agree, it only shows like 3 phones that no one has that are compatible but I see others saying they have text to speech messaging so I think that list is outdated. Also, there's a lot of talk about an update that provides more functions after installed. I wish they had not removed the hard drive function. I guess I'll download my playlists to a usb drive. I can use the SD card because I have to have the Nav card inserted in there. What's with that anyway? I thought the Nav system would be downloaded into the system memory, not on a darn SD card.

I looked at the compatibility list and I agree, it only shows like 3 phones that no one has that are compatible but I see others saying they have text to speech messaging so I think that list is outdated. Also, there's a lot of talk about an update that provides more functions after installed. I wish they had not removed the hard drive function. I guess I'll download my playlists to a usb drive. I can use the SD card because I have to have the Nav card inserted in there. What's with that anyway? I thought the Nav system would be downloaded into the system memory, not on a darn SD card.

The list is about 2-3 yrs old

I was THIS CLOSE from crawling on my hands and knees to pull fuse 29 when to my surprise, the system rebooted on it's own.

I do think that ford still needs to work on the memory leaks in Touch. It seems like after a few weeks of use, it still gets Stupid.

Every two weeks or so my phone (Droid X) seems to lose its connection. It says "Connect A Phone", but when I go to the screen it shows it as connected. I try to disconnect, delete, etc. Its very frustrating to have to go through quite a number of steps to delete the phone (unpair the sync on my phone, turn off bluetooth on phone, turn off car, open door, etc... you get the picture!). The phone should not lose its connection every two weeks! Anyone else have this problem?

I had the APIM replaced about a month ago and I see absolutely no difference. Its clunky and unreliable. Funny, I have not had any system reboot since I got the new APIM. I am almost wishing for one. I refuse to go in the fuse box.

Another thing I found recently - my Droid X can receive text messages in my husband's recently purchased, used, 2010 Ford Fusion. But my state of the art, 2011 Ford Edge with my touch cannot. When I asked my dealer, they said the problem was my phone!

Every two weeks or so my phone (Droid X) seems to lose its connection. It says "Connect A Phone", but when I go to the screen it shows it as connected. I try to disconnect, delete, etc. Its very frustrating to have to go through quite a number of steps to delete the phone (unpair the sync on my phone, turn off bluetooth on phone, turn off car, open door, etc... you get the picture!). The phone should not lose its connection every two weeks! Anyone else have this problem?

I had the APIM replaced about a month ago and I see absolutely no difference. Its clunky and unreliable. Funny, I have not had any system reboot since I got the new APIM. I am almost wishing for one. I refuse to go in the fuse box.

Another thing I found recently - my Droid X can receive text messages in my husband's recently purchased, used, 2010 Ford Fusion. But my state of the art, 2011 Ford Edge with my touch cannot. When I asked my dealer, they said the problem was my phone!

Do not click on Add a phone. Simply open the phone controls (top left of the 4 color corner options) once u open the phone options you should see connect phone. Click on Connect phone and you should be good to go. Once in a while I need to do this with my iPhone 4