Removing air box "snorkel"

ThinLine

• 1 month later...

I finally got the snorkel off ! 8 just grabbed it and pushed down really hard on it. The snorkel piece came off the air filter housing but it did break. Just a little piece of plastic came off but the filter housing in intact. I decided to add a drop in K&N filter also and man can you hear this thing sucking air. Normal driving sounds the same but when you get on it , this thinjg sounds husky. E ven the wife noticed the difference in sound and she actually liked it. I also picked up about .8 mpg because our trips are 99% the same route and this was with some romps on the gas .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the "snorkel" out and used some clothes dryer vent ducting to get some cooler air from the left wheel well. The inlet air is close to the outside ambient air. I did not notice an increase in the inrush air noise. happy%20feet.gif

And you're not worried about water ingestion?

Wont happen. I did the same thing on my 1992 Mustang and never had an issue and my system was 6" off the ground with a home made ram air scoop along with a paxton 5lb supercharger attached at the other end.

Only issue you would have as if the entire thing was submerged at full throttle and that would be iffy cause you can run a little water through your engine with no problem. People used to do this in the past to remove carbon.

In the Corvette community there is a fresh ram air system called "Vararam" People always assume you will get water ingestion with this unit too Some claim they have and others say impossible. Fact is every car is susceptible to this in deep enough water. I had it on on my 2001 Corvette and no issues driving at HWY speeds in heavy rain.

And you're not worried about water ingestion?

• Like 1

i would be~....

The dryer vent tube is 4 inches in diameter. The open end of the 4 inch vent takes a 90 degree bend down and is behind the fender liner, thus enough water intake is possible but not a concern unless the water level covers 7/8 of the tire. The air enters the air box BELOW the filter. ALL air entering the engine passes through the air filter.

The other air intake is about 2.5 inches and is behind the grill and could also provide a water intake path in a heavy downpour.

The air intake velocity in the 4 inch opening is considerably less than in the 2.5 inch opening. The larger the pipe the less the velocity to carry water with it. stirpot.gifpeelout.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah so I just looked under the hood in my Edge to see if my hands get dirty changing an air filter, yes they get dirty (another Thread).

Anyway on my filter box there is a duct that goes to the grille that sucks in the coldest air from in front of the car. May I ask why did you need to change this and use a different approach? Maybe the set-up is different in older years?

• 3 months later...

Yeah so I just looked under the hood in my Edge to see if my hands get dirty changing an air filter, yes they get dirty (another Thread).

Anyway on my filter box there is a duct that goes to the grille that sucks in the coldest air from in front of the car. May I ask why did you need to change this and use a different approach? Maybe the set-up is different in older years?

nt - I was looking at the factory "ram air intake" in the 2011's and was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to open up a few of the blocked grill openings using a dremel. Not sure it would really make any diference or not...thoughts....

nt - I was looking at the factory "ram air intake" in the 2011's and was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to open up a few of the blocked grill openings using a dremel. Not sure it would really make any diference or not...thoughts....

It would most likely reduce your gas milage.

Have you seen the Focus' front end? It has functional louvers that stay shut until the cooling is needed.

If you cut out the openings, will the air make it into the air intake?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In reference to the original topic, whenever I take this snorkel off I squeeze in the top and bottom sides and get a flathead screw driver to help pry the remaining clip past the air box wall. Doesn't require as much effort this way and comes out damage free.

Take the snorkel screws out (2) loosen the hose clamp but don't take it off. wiggle the large intake hose out move it. Remove snorkel looking piece . Then bottom of the airbox is all that less. It sits on two nipple like connections and comes straight up with some rocking/wiggling.

Edited by mmcclure

• 1 month later...

I finally got the snorkel off ! 8 just grabbed it and pushed down really hard on it. The snorkel piece came off the air filter housing but it did break. Just a little piece of plastic came off but the filter housing in intact. I decided to add a drop in K&N filter also and man can you hear this thing sucking air. Normal driving sounds the same but when you get on it , this thinjg sounds husky. E ven the wife noticed the difference in sound and she actually liked it. I also picked up about .8 mpg because our trips are 99% the same route and this was with some romps on the gas .

8 MPG increase. You been drinking too much of the K&N cool aid. More noise yes. More dirt in engine....yes. Better MPG....No. Engine's CPU will put A/F the same as with stock filter.