BLIS® with Cross Traffic Alert

JackW

Does anyone has experience with this feature ?

Thank you

This is one of the very few tech features on the Edge that works very well. The BIS indicator is unobtusive but it has become habit to check for the light in my side mirrors before changing lanes. It does give some false positives when there is a median or barrier on t he shoulder, but it has worked perfectly for detecting cars in blind spots.

Likewise, the cross traffic alert works vey well. I've found it very useful for backing out of parking spaces

Blis is a good back up to shoulder checking which I always do anyway. My cross traffic alert does not give an audible sound alert as it's supposed to. I'll have to get it seen to the next time I take it in for maintenance. It does however, indicate if a car is coming from the left or right on the dash screen. They are good features and hopefully will become standard on other cars over time.

This is one of the very few tech features on the Edge that works very well. The BIS indicator is unobtusive but it has become habit to check for the light in my side mirrors before changing lanes. It does give some false positives when there is a median or barrier on t he shoulder, but it has worked perfectly for detecting cars in blind spots.

Likewise, the cross traffic alert works vey well. I've found it very useful for backing out of parking spaces

Actually I have had intermittent trouble with my Cross Traffic/Blind Spot. I have had two occasions where I have been driving on the highway, the light will come on and stay on for several days and error message on the left screen. It corrected itself for about a week and two days ago the same thing happened and today it again corrected itself. The alert works on the passenger side but not the drivers side. Ford is now thinking it may be a sensor problem because there is a left and right sensor. I was advised today that within the next few days (MFT quote) there will be an update, mainly to correct the clock issues so may wait for that update before dealing with the Bliss problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I have had intermittent trouble with my Cross Traffic/Blind Spot. I have had two occasions where I have been driving on the highway, the light will come on and stay on for several days and error message on the left screen. It corrected itself for about a week and two days ago the same thing happened and today it again corrected itself. The alert works on the passenger side but not the drivers side. Ford is now thinking it may be a sensor problem because there is a left and right sensor. I was advised today that within the next few days (MFT quote) there will be an update, mainly to correct the clock issues so may wait for that update before dealing with the Bliss problem.

I have had few problems with the BLIS system that I wanted to post. With only 700 miles on the vehicle, on two separate occasions the blind spot system locked up. The lights on the mirrors remained lit, and the information center indicated that the blind spot system error'd / not available, press ok. The warning lights on the mirrors remained lit (both sides) and the problem self corrected after turning off the vehicle and restarting. I have also received the same message once on the cross traffic system alert (not available). This is not good considering three problems in this area in less than a month and 700 miles

.......Not to mention Sync booting twice in the same time period (doesn't look normal to me), and the 8" touch screen completely freezing up (screen lock displaying music, and no control over the touch screen for about an hour) once. This problem self corrected after letting the vehicle sit for a while, but a simple engine off and restart withing a few seconds did not correct the problem.

Ford is going to have to address these problems. Technology is great if it works but if these problems continue I am already getting a bad taste in my mouth. Tastes like Lemon, as in lemon law!

• 2 months later...

Don't let the dealer tell you that the sensors must be dirty, causing the problem. Nice try but my car was spotless each time the system failed.

There's a TSB related to the sensor failure issue. I had it done to my MKX and it seemed to fix the blindspot sensors. However it did nothing to fix the the insistent sensor failures for the collision avoidance and adaptive cruise functions (these use different radar sensors).

The Cross-Traffic alert system has always worked very well for me (much to my surprise...)

• 1 month later...

I have had my 2011 Edge Limited since early March. EVERY day on my drive to work, the BLIS system locks up and says the sensors are blocked. They reset after about 15-20 minutes, but by then I am getting off the highway, where I really could use the help. It NEVER happens on the way home. It NEVER happens on the weekends. It NEVER happens if I take a different route to work. Just fails on this one road - three lanes in each direction, center median (grass) and light traffic (sometimes a vehicle beside me and sometimes not.) It doesn't happen in the same spot, just randomly somewhere along the 3 mile stretch.

I have called the dealer three times about this (first time he suggested the car was dirty - nice try.) I have taken it to the dealer twice. Every time they say the update is not working or not ready, so they haven't tried to update my SYNC/MFT to a newer version. I have version 2.4. BLIS has alerted me a couple of times when I truly did not see a vehicle beside me, so I know it will be helpful when I get it working consistently. Right now, I just enjoy it on the ride home and ignore it on the ride in. If I am lucky, I will hit a red light just after it locks up and before I am on the highway and I can shut down the engine and restart to reset the system and it works for the rest of the ride into work. But that has happened only a couple of times.

I have a 2011 SEL with Bliss and have no issues that you detailed above. Your dealer is incorrect or being devious. There is a version 2.8 available and it does address some of the issues with 2.4. not sure if your issues are involved but there is no reason not to update (for free) under warranty. Check this forum, print out some of the 2.8 advantages and bring to your dealer. Thats what I did in April when I had problems with Sync and my iPhone 4.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

There are some aftermarket options, like http://www.goshers.com/, my car has factory BLIS, and to be honest, the little yellow LED in the mirror is difficult to notice in daylight. I have not tried the blind spot mirrors (standard on the Edge/MKX without BLIS), but I have a feeling they might be more practical.

Although the factory BLIS does include "Cross Traffic Alert" which, in my opinion, is useful. Would definitely been more useful if the alert was also shown in backup camera display.