Is Anyone Satisfied With Their Edge?

The6thTemp

Your dealer has failed you and should have replaced the APIM - more than once if necessary. If your dealer won't do it then find one that will. Ford has an entire network of service locations to repair vehicles - they're called dealerships. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad ones out there. You shouldn't have to go to Ford directly and if you do they should take care of you but finding a good dealer will make life a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted a safe reliable car that had great function and utility and didn't crush me in price. Looked at the Volkswagen, Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Kia, Audi and Volvo.......no thanks. What ever issues pop up along the way, and they will, I'll deal with. If I keep it long term I will extend the warranty to keep things in check. All cars have issues, but the Edge hit the sweet spot for me and even left me with a few dollars to customize. It's all good......or at least good enough.

Edited by surfer1

• 2 weeks later...

Am I satisfied with my 2011 Ford Edge Limited?

Yes, I love that car. It just looks right. When I see other Edges out on the street, they catch my eye right away. I love all the chrome in the grill. I love their overall shape, their sound, their features. I feel very fortunate to be able to own one.

I take my daughter to Montessori school and there are some rather wealthy parents who take their kids there too. In the parking lot are Mercedes, porsches BMWs and audis. But when I walk out into the lot, I still think the Edge stands out in appearance compared to the rest. I know I am biased, but it just looks great. It has all the options I need, it runs smooth and fast on the highway, handles all the tasks a family guy who likes to ride bikes and snowboard needs. I recently bought new rims, will get a new exhaust system with short cherry bomb mufflers to give it a bit more rumble.

So yes, very satisfied. I plan on keeping it for the long term.

totally diggin mine so far... I came out of an '04 Saturn Vue V6, & wanted to stick with a crossover, but a more comfortable crossover. Loved my Saturn... it was comfortable & practical... but very cheap & plasticky inside... and lots of wind/road noise. After 10 years & 82,000 miles, I was ready for something new.

I leased a '13 Edge Limited back in October... ruby red, charcoal leather... fully loaded (package 302a with the 20" wheels). Had really wanted the Sport, but after driving both, the difference in power was negligible to me. Loved the 22" wheels on the Sport, but then started thinking about tire cost & higher possible incidence of flats. Plus, there were a few options on the Limited that were not available on the Sport.

I'm actually surprised that I really like some of the options that I kinda had to take to get the ones I wanted. Thought heated seats were a waste in SoCal... but on a cool night, they feel SOOOO good... and heat up fast. The BLIS comes in handy- especially on the freeway at night with lights/reflections everywhere. The collision warning system isn't really calibrated to my liking, but it works. Haven't had a chance to use the adaptive cruise yet. I didn't really want the panoramic vista roof, but it's ok on the odd occasion I actually use it. The Sony audio system is pretty decent for a factory system, tho it tends to be source-dependent. Some Sirius stations sound great, others like crap. But my Zune sounds pretty good when pumped through the Sony. The signal dropout with Sirius is MUCH worse than when I had XM Radio a few years ago. The seats are comfortable, tho the bottom cushions are a bit long for someone with short thighs... wish I could lower the seat a bit more. Love the xenon headlights, tho the cutoff is pretty sharp. All the continual carping about the MFT & nav systems puzzle me... or maybe I just got lucky. Mine has performed flawlessly. My phone always sync's up immediately... MFT always recognizes my Zune HD, and Sync is capable of searching my Zune HD for songs/artists. The nav system has worked great, & found what I would consider to be obscure POI's when driving around L.A. That said... yes, at times it does feel a tad clunky & under-processored... and I occasionally have to stab the screen a few times, but overall, I'm very happy with it... and very happy with the Edge in general... it's just what I wanted. The 20" plasti-chrome wheels are a pain to keep clean, but gives me something to crab about. Always get compliments on the ruby red paint tho... it's GORGEOUS.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Am I satisfied with my 2011 Ford Edge Limited?

Yes, I love that car. It just looks right. When I see other Edges out on the street, they catch my eye right away. I love all the chrome in the grill. I love their overall shape, their sound, their features. I feel very fortunate to be able to own one.

I take my daughter to Montessori school and there are some rather wealthy parents who take their kids there too. In the parking lot are Mercedes, porsches BMWs and audis. But when I walk out into the lot, I still think the Edge stands out in appearance compared to the rest. I know I am biased, but it just looks great. It has all the options I need, it runs smooth and fast on the highway, handles all the tasks a family guy who likes to ride bikes and snowboard needs. I recently bought new rims, will get a new exhaust system with short cherry bomb mufflers to give it a bit more rumble.

So yes, very satisfied. I plan on keeping it for the long term.

It's great to see you are happy with your edge. I've loved the edge for a long time now and always wished I could own one!! Now, having worked hard for a long time, now I can afford one. I've even found an edge. But, now all these thoughts are killingme, like: I might need the money in future...I should save the money for future... :(

What should I dooooo???? GOD!!!!!

• 3 months later...

We've had 2012 Limited for just over a week now; still loving it.

The only quirks so far have been a flaky rear hatch which doesn't always close, and a couple of random MFT reboots. I guess that's expected since it's based on Microsoft WinCE.

Compared to touchscreens like Apple and Android phones and tablets, MFT is a piece of crap. Slow to respond, not intuitive. But it's still better than what you can get in much more expensive cars-- for example Mercedes touchscreen computer system is a huge steaming pile of ___.

I love the overall look of the instrument panel and console though-- very sleek! I don't mind the touch controls but I haven't tried them with gloves on.

Anyway, I like that Ford allows users to upgrade their own software, and once you learn your way around it's not that bad; though I'm really looking forward to the version 2.0 upgrade in a couple months.

As far as the rest of the car, it's smooth, very quiet, rides great, and much better for hauling the baby without sacrificing legroom anywhere in the car.

My first update after a couple years of ownership!

Soooooo anyhoo......... we're trading the car in on an MDX tomorrow.

The Edge was great for the first year but it's been a lemon (unfortunately just outside the "lemon law" window).

Over the past 15 months it's been in the shop 6-7 times, I lost count.

Currently it's in the shop due to stalling issues, and to fix the navigation which was wiped out on the last visit to the shop 2 weeks ago which was also to fix a master cylinder leak which occurred after a brake booster replacement two months prior to that (TSB related to the brake booster failure... happens a lot apparently).

Also had a persistent rough idle issue previously (after replacing a few other fuel system components on various other visits), but recently began stalling at stoplights. This is evidently related to TSB 13-09-08 and a problem with engine wiring on the ecoboost models. Supposedly fixed now.... ?

Anyway, the multiple issues with engine and brakes are enough to make me not trust this car with my family.

SYNC and navigation have been hugely problematic as well, but that's not exactly news... sometimes the NAV would only show half-screen and display a blank white area on the other half, some black screens of death, and currently there's no NAV at all because of an issue that the techs "have never seen before" after the last SYNC upgrade that wiped out navigation completely. The other SYNC features work fine, but navigation just shows a yellow exclamation mark with no error messages or anything. That's the last remaining issue for now, so I'm planning on picking up the car later today whether it's got working NAV or not because I need it to trade in.

What a shame, because I really liked the car and the way it drove, when it was working.

Edited by Ribbit

I've had my 2013 FWD SEL for 5 months.

Love the ride and the features. Still discovering some of them.

The low gears can be cumbersome, pulling away from stop signs, lights, etc...you really have to gun it to get it to respond.

The MPG is solid for an SUV this size. Recently got 450 mi to the tank on a road trip to the beach, and I sat in traffic for an hour.

Lots of cargo space and the backseat legroom is SPACIOUS. I wish airplanes had that much legroom.

The car overall is a bit overpriced I feel like, but I am loving it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, not at all satisfied.

Bought a used 2011 Edge SEL AWD from a Ford dealer in November 2013 and have had half a dozen problems in the first 6 or so months.

1. Glitches with the SEL message center, false warnings and flaky screen and freezing steering wheel controls. Note, I'm not talking about MFT, I don't have it.

2. Door ajar light, you know the story

3. Transmission slip/bump from takeoff

4. Engine oil leak, dealer replaced the oil pressure sending unit, 3 weeks later the leak is back. I don't think their diagnosis was correct. It will be going back right away

5. Weather stripping pulls out of place in cold weather and other general fit and finish issues

6. Dash/instrument cluster rattles

For a 3 year old car with 65,000 kms, it's extremely disappointing. I bought a recent model year with relatively low mileage to avoid these problems.

I also own a 2006 Mustang GT that I supercharged with a Ford Racing kit (550 hp). It is older with the same mileage as my Edge and I've raced it at the strip and the road course, flogged the car and never a problem. The Edge transports groceries and it can't even do that without engine and transmission problems. It's sad really. Other than the F-150 and Mustang, I think Ford is to be avoided. The recent model Escape, Edge, Explorer and Flex cars all seem to have quality issues that are coming out now.

What the Edge has going for it is looks, it's a handsome vehicle inside and out and a quiet comfortable ride. It's too bad great aesthetics can't be backed up with mechanical integrity.

Edited by Vapour Trails

• 2 months later...

We just recently purchased a 2010 LTD with candy red metallic tint with black leather, vista roof, navi, rapid spec 320a, 20" wheels, cargo package, power lift gate, rear cargo management system and voice activated nav.. Needless to say I got an absolute KILLER deal on this car so even if we do run into an issue or two I'm not even going to shed a tear.. this cuv is absolutely AMAZING so far.. everything works great except my phone is in the compatibility list for text messaging over BT but that it says it's not compatible.. meh, not a big deal as I don't get many texts anyways and don't do a ton of driving.. I updated the SYNC software, it was a snap and I have had ZERO freeze ups or reboots.. it's plenty fast switching between screens.. I don't know what model has issues but the 2010 navi works great.. I could care less about POI's either because I know where I'm driving and I can always use my phone if needed.. the sound system in jukebox mode or streaming over BT or CD's sound freaking phenomenal! 9 speakers, amps and a superb DSP chip somewhere and my god I don't want to stop driving this thing!!!!

I have to say at first I was like a Ford?? My wifes parents have been ford owners for years so that's where it comes from.. I'm blown away by the feel of it.. the 20" wheels I think give it an extra smooth ride and the wheelbase is amazing.. I would know, I sell Nissans and most of theirs are terrible and drive like crap.. not to mention any 4 cyl is ridiculously loud.. this car is smooth as butter and quiet.. a little windy with the vista open with all the windows down but it's not enough to deter me from using it as I love a convertible feel.

Only time will tell if I start having issues, I hope not and still considering a Ford extended bumper to bumper warranty.

• Like 2

I'm glad you're loving your Edge, vdoggie! I don't want to highjack this thread, but if you'd like assistance with texting, shoot me a private message with which phone you have. :)

Rebecca

I would love to know how to set up where I can receive text through my MFT as well Rebecca. I have an iphone 4S. Not sure how to send you a PM. THANK YOU!

• Like 1

Hi P.A.,

It looks like the iPhone 4s is not compatible with texting, but you can still try turning notifications on by following these instructions:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/how-to-allow-ios-text-messaging-sync-myford-touch

In case you'd like to see which phones are compatible, here's a link to our chart:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-myford-touch

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Rebecca

• 4 weeks later...