Is Anyone Satisfied With Their Edge?

The6thTemp

The dealership is working on my 2011 limited Edge as we speak (29000 miles). Everyone should look into the TSB on the transmission and that was the original reason it went in. While that was being addressed they found a problem with the power steering hose that was a bigger problem. The part is on back order and I will be in the loaner for a while! The dealership did say it was so important that Ford will not allow it leave the shop due to safety while operating. I also need to say that there was no drips, noises or steering issues that would have ever led me to know this until they got it on the rack.

Edited by mmcclure

I have to say I am very dissatisfied with my 2011 Edge LTD. It's been back to the dealership 6 times for issues with Sync and MFT. They replaced the Sync module on the second visit and I had to go back four more times to get system updates. What really bugs me is that the main focus of the Edge advertising is MFT. That system is flawed and Ford has known about the problems since at least last July. Why can't a company as big as Ford get this right? Every time I have to go back to the dealership, I get comments about 'too many electronics' nowadays. My dealership doesn't even have inhouse techs that can work on MFT. The outside service group doesn't even start working on MFT until 12:30 each day.

I've also had issues with a rattling/fluttering noise near the driver side mirror. The dealership will have had my Edge for a week before I get it back Tuesday (hopefully FIXED). As of Friday, they still hadn't isolated and fixed the noise.

Oh - did I mention that a week and a half ago the transmission did a 'hard shift' and I thought the whole transmission had fallen out of the car - the car shook and it sounded like a bomb went off underneath. There was a TSB and they had to replace a plate in the transmission - it only has 5K miles on it!

Overall, this vehicle is a piece of crap and I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN. I took a leap of faith, after having driven imports for years, because of good press on the quality gains Ford has made. What a huge mistake!

My company buys a lot of Fords for company cars and I'm going to see what I can do to change that. BUYING THIS FORD HAS BEEN THE WORST AUTOMOBILE EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD AND I'VE OWNED OVER 20 CARS.

Theres always a burnt piece of popcorn in the bag!! You my friend, are charred crispy!

• Like 1

Well, after the Edge spending three days in the service center, I wanted to post what was found.

1. The transmission was worked on (TSB 11-5-6) Performed TSB and R&R valve body, replaced plate and removed both post.

2. Power steering G lines replaced.

3. 4 Wheel alignment.

4. Shifted the subframe (never heard of that before)

All was covered except the alignment for 93.00 :)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my 2012 Sport on Dec. 22. In the beginning there were a few minor issues that Ford proptly fixed. Since those were resolved I've been extremely happy with my Edge!!! And the MFT Upgrade has been FANTASTIC!!! The one and only negetive is the gas mileage I get, but I'm the one that wanted the Sport with the larger engin and 22" rims. So that's really on me. Besides that, I LOVE MY EDGE!!!

I feel like the Edge is being robbed of good reviews online because of all the problems with MyFord Touch. The Edge is one of the best crossovers out there, but the reviews are dragged down because people rate the vehicle low due to MyFord Touch. What about those of us who are buying an SE or SEL without MyFord Touch, and all we see is overall low ratings for the vehicle?

I purposely bought one without MyFord Touch due to the negative reviews, but I wonder how many people out there are going to skip out on the vehicle altogether because of negative editor and owner impressions that may not even apply to their model.

Completely agree, I too did not get the MFT, thank goodness

Yes, were are satisfied with our 2012 Edge (4 cyclinder with Ecoboost), leather seats . We purchased it new in November 2011. From May 15 to May 24, we made a 10 day, 3,000 mile trip, starting in Kansas City, following Interstate 40 to Las Vegas, Nevada, then into Utah and Colorado for sightseeing. Our Edge performed very well during this trip and was always confortable to be driving, We made many stops to take pictures in scenic areas and it was very easy to get in and out of the Edge, Loading our several bags of luggage and a large cooler was easily with the rear hatch that swings up.

I kept track of our overall gas mileage for the entire trip, revising the calculation after each fill-up. The average of the miles per gallon for 3,000 miles was 25.98. I am satisfied with this as we traveled over both flat level roads and through the mountains at elevations up to 10,000 feet. We have found the best speed to acheive good fuel economy is 68 miles per hour. At times during the trip, on level roads, with the wind behind the Edge, the "instant fuel economy" display read as high as 32 miles per gallon. Today, we returned from a weekend trip to visit family in Southwest Missouri, we traveled a 167 mile route on route 69 in Eastern Kansas, with rolling hills and level roads. We filled up early this morning, the instant fuel economy display for the entire trip, traveling at 68 mph, read 29.1 to 29.9. Be aware, the actual miles per gallon on a tank of gas will vary from this for a number of reasons as explained in the owner's manual.

We had two concerns initially with our Edge. One was that we could not seem to compeletely fill the gas tank. Although the fuel gauage would show full at the gas pump, less then 30 miles of driving would have the fuel level down to 3/4 of a tank. Our local dealer first replaced the gas tank, which did not correct the condition. The dealer then replaced the fuel sending unit which has corrected the problem. On one fill up during our long trip, I was able to add 15.3 gallons to a 18.x gallon tank. This was when the miles to empty display showed between 80 and 100 miles.

The second, more minor concern was that the rear hatch would not latch, all the time, when pushing the key fob, the dash button, or the button inside the rear of the Edge. The hatch would come down, attempt to latch, and go back up. I read on this forum about a software upgrade, which was then installed by the dealer. This software upgrade resolved the problem and the latch has been completed suceessfully, without any faults, many times.

A very minor concern is the size and style of the coat hooks inside the rear passenger doors. Because we like to have some amount of hanging clothes on long trips, we stretch a clothes rod between the two coat hooks. The design of the coat hooks did not make it easy to attach our clothes rod. I ended up using two zip ties at each end of the clothes rod to securly hold the rod to the clothes hooks. This is not the best solution. If anyone has a better idea, let me know.

We have fairly well learned the in and outs of using MyFord Touch including the navigation feature. Overall, we have not had issues with any of the electronic displays in the Edge.

I had not even heard of MFT when we started looking at the Edge. We have had ours 13 months now with zero problems. MFT has been annoying a couple of times but nothing that I would down rate the car over.

Because the car hasn't been driven much, and mostly in town, I took the car to the shop that I have been doing business with for several years to have the oil and filter changes at about 3,000 miles. Early, I know. Last month I took it to the Ford dealer where we purchased it because they had a special on where I could get more than the oil and filter changed for $30.00. Had the tires rotated for no additional cost. That is the only time the car has been back to the dealer since we bought it. This time the car had a little over 5,000 miles. Overkill on the service. Will be going back at 5,000 mile intervals from now on.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely loved our 07 Edge and traded up to a 2011 with low mileage last year - bad move! I had read that the redesigned engine would give much better gas mileage, but I only found out months later that the eco engine is not even available on the all wheel drive Edges.

It was also almost impossible to determine which version of Myford Touch we had and found that we lacked many of the advertised features that influenced our decision to buy. This system was the breaking point for us. Rather than facilitating more attention available for simply driving, I genuinely feared that I would someday be killed in a head-on collision while trying to manually deal with the uncooperative system. Voice recognition was terrible and with no option for confirmation, I placed several calls to the wrong people and trying to use it to control entertainment or climate systems was equally frustrating.

The Sirius radio worked okay, but when trying to scan the channel lineup, the system would always freeze up after the third or fourth screen. Many problems with the audio system required turning off the car to reboot. Sometimes simply bumping the audio volume up one notch would cause it to ascend quickly to maximum volume. The climate system would often fail to register your adjustments to make the car warmer until you set the temperature far above your desired set point and then kick in and create a sauna. It's a pain in the butt flipping screens simply to activate the heated seats. (Perhaps it can be done by voice, but I had given up on that.)

The Bluetooth was equally inept at iPhone playback and would often begin playing the music in my pocket on the phone's speaker instead of through the car speakers. My daughters found this to be hilarious, so there was at least some entertainment value in the system!

When Ford sent out a notice to go have the Touch system upgraded, I hoped that this might fix all the bugs, but it only made it worse on my Edge. If we were confused about which features our vehicle had, the computer also seemed equally ignorant. When putting the car in reverse, a voice informed that the rear camera was not functional - my model doesn't even have a rear camera!! (This again contributed to the entertainment factor - it was like a line delivered by a deadpan comedian.)

In the end, my frustration with these aspect of the vehicle led us to sell it privately and buy a GMC Terrain, which we have found to be far more user friendly. I should mention that I am technically savvy and was excited about the Myford Touch system, but in the end I feel that it is unnecessary technology that was rushed to the market before it was ready. Kudos to Ford for taking the risk of being the front-runner, but after the hit I took to rid myself of this headache, I will wait until it's perfected before coming back to it.

Hey Grant,

Sorry to hear that you were so unhappy with your Edge, and all it's problems. Hope you will be happy with the Terrain. Aside from having to have my rear tailgate pressure reprogrammed, my MKX has been, as Tony the Tiger would say - GRRRRRREAT ! Lets see how GM's new system ( I believe it's called CUV or CUE) performs. MAybe there's too much technology in today's cars.

Sounds like you had a bad APIM. Did you ask the dealer to fix it after the last software upgrade? I don't understand why dealers are so hesitant to replace the APIM for customers who have problems after the upgrade.

I suspect it comes down to makinf sure they can recover the costs from Ford...and that Ford Corp has tightened things up since this MFT issue has cost them a fortune. Though what concerns me is I haven't ever really heard anyone mention a diagnostic mode in these things or any hardware tests that can be done to confirm if there is a fault. Seems like there is no good way to confirm any component is bad other than outright failures.

I suspect it comes down to makinf sure they can recover the costs from Ford...and that Ford Corp has tightened things up since this MFT issue has cost them a fortune. Though what concerns me is I haven't ever really heard anyone mention a diagnostic mode in these things or any hardware tests that can be done to confirm if there is a fault. Seems like there is no good way to confirm any component is bad other than outright failures.

I think the dealer is just assuming it's the software.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:reading: OMG....if we had to do it over we wouldn't buy an Edge with Sync!!!!. This vehicle 2012 is 7 mos old, (had an 08 Edge) love the handling, ride, interior (needs some design modifications on the hazard signals etc), but really really don't like Sync. Ours went black screen so after diagnostics, then waiting for the part, then installing we finally at least got radio/climate etc, but still waiting for an update from Ford. Nav doesn't work, outside temp reading on the screen doesn't work, just a mess....plus all the gas that was used testing/updating etc. As we don't live close to a dealer this is alot of time wasting back and forth. With a black screen you have no idea of car climate, no entertainment, no phone sync, no nav. My partner is looking to trade this now and not with another Ford but a different brand. So many complaints out there on this and really no good fix insite. It's impacted the vehicle trade-in value as well. We've had Ford's for many years since the '80s, but truthfully never again. If your thinking of buying a Ford with Sync...do yourself a favour and DON'T! :rant2:

If your nav isn't working and your outside temp isn't working, those are specific defects that your dealer should be fixing. Your other MFT issues (black screen) are also indicative of a bigger specific issue that your dealer should be able to troubleshoot. Those are not normal issues.

I've only had my Edge for a few weeks, but it has been driven A LOT. I have had absolutely no issues with MFT, which is surprising because I consider myself a very technical person and I tend to push my electronics pretty hard to get as much as I can out of them. I went into this with realistic expectations since really when do you ever have a 100% frustration or issue free time with such an integrated computer system. You want to be on the cutting edge of vehicle technology for this class of vehicle, you must expect some varying degrees of extra work to learn the system properly, and sit tight while your dealer fixes some odd issues.

Some of the issues we hear seem to come from lack purchasing diligence (it is one of life's biggest financial transactions). Before buying this vehicle I spent over an hour going through just the MFT system to make sure I could live with it and that it worked with my phone, etc. I had realistic expectations, and a willingness to lean the ins-and-outs of the system appropriately.

Maybe my opinion will change in the future, but for now this is an amazing vehicle. Ride, handling, quietness, MFT, size, features... all perfect for what we were looking for. Nothing else in the market today gives you this complete package for this price.

:beerchug:

Edited by joesworld

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming up on one year of ownership and 13,000 miles on my 2011 Limited FWD. Continue to be mostly pleased with the Edge. Fuel economy is maintaining 23+ mpg, and I'm very satisfied with that.

Quirky MFT continues to frustrate me at times, especially the navigation. One very aggrevating thing: I missed an exit recently and instead of recalulating my route from there, the navi made me u-turn back to the set route. Keep me moving forward please - don't backtrack!

In July, I traveled to Michigan (about 1,900 mi.) and the Edge provided a very comfortable ride and minimal fatigue. Adaptive cruise worked great.

There continues to be a rattle/vibration noise that seems to come from the left front (drivers door/fender/mirror) area. I've read several posts about loose mirror covers and inner wheelwell liners that fasteners have come loose. Will have it looked by the dealer unless I can find a fix myself.

There continues to be a rattle/vibration noise that seems to come from the left front (drivers door/fender/mirror) area. I've read several posts about loose mirror covers and inner wheelwell liners that fasteners have come loose. Will have it looked by the dealer unless I can find a fix myself.

Check the plastic pan that's below the engine. After my first oil change I didn't secure the fastner that was next to the drivers side wheel well sufficiently and it worked its way loose resulting in a rattle. Sound often doesn't originate from where you're hearing it so search further out as you look for the loose part.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One month into my 2012 Edge 2.0l Limited and all is great so far. Mileage is 27 - 29mpg. Ride is great. MFT has not presented with any bugs as of yet. Came from an Expedition and have quickly adapted to having less room due to being more nimble - although the turning radius actually seems to be less believe it or not. The only thing I would change is the amount of adjustment in the steering wheel - needs to go lower and have the angle changed as it is too much to the horizontal. Also, do not like having the 6 o'clock portion of the steering wheel not 'open' with the bracing there.

I also installed tow hitch to pull my 1500 boat & trailer, which I have not yet attempted. Curious to see how the ecoboost is able to handle it.

I am coming up on Sheldon's 2nd birthday (2011 AWD) and I still love this car. I did finally upgrade to the v3.0.2 which has better maps, but I preferred the v1.8 I had been on previously. Yes, I was one of the few that this worked well for. My car has only been in for oil changes and the update, where they managed to break my driver side window, so I will be going to a different dealership next time. I have gone 30k miles with this car, so well driven. I would still recommend an Edge to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my edge just over a year now and love it best choice I made by far!. I think the only thing I regret not getting done was getting the fabric protection on the seats as my 2 kids tend to spill in the back. Love the ambient lighting so happy that I got this option and the heated seats are awesome to have in our Canadian winters. Only issues I've had was the apim had to be replaced but my dealer was great in getting it replaced quickly and my ford emblems corroding which warranty covered. Mechanically she runs fine and we've had no issues in regards to reliability. Found a set of the 20 inch chrome clad wheels off a 2012 locally and we'll be putting them on in the spring as we figured our 18 inch michelins would be better in the snow. Overall I love my edge we get compliments and asked questions about it all the time :shades: .