Want to buy - but driver legroom might be an issue

Hi,

I've been looking at vehicles for weeks and everything keeps pointing me to the Edge. I'm making a decision in 2 days. The problem is that the center console molding hits my leg. It seems like I can't get comfortable and that my leg would always lean on it. My brother commented about the same thing and told me if I did buy the Edge he'd take a dremel tool and slice off the molding. Yikes.

I'm surprised there haven't been more comments on it. I'm 6 ft tall with an average build and leg length so I don't get that I'm the only person with this problem. There is tons of knee room on the left side, but none at all on the right. It's not like the center console size is useful - they could have easily shaved off an inch or 2 on the side to give room for the driver to move his leg.

I tested an MKX - much better since the molding is thinner, but still not great. But on the MKX my elbow hits the latches on the console since the padded area is shorter.

Any thoughts or mods that people have done to make it comfortable for a 6ft man? I hate to walk away from what appears to be the perfect vehicle for me except for a piece of molding. But I'd hate to spend the money on a new vehicle and have to sell it because of comfort.

Thanks.

Hi,

I've been looking at vehicles for weeks and everything keeps pointing me to the Edge. I'm making a decision in 2 days. The problem is that the center console molding hits my leg. It seems like I can't get comfortable and that my leg would always lean on it. My brother commented about the same thing and told me if I did buy the Edge he'd take a dremel tool and slice off the molding. Yikes.

I'm surprised there haven't been more comments on it. I'm 6 ft tall with an average build and leg length so I don't get that I'm the only person with this problem. There is tons of knee room on the left side, but none at all on the right. It's not like the center console size is useful - they could have easily shaved off an inch or 2 on the side to give room for the driver to move his leg.

I tested an MKX - much better since the molding is thinner, but still not great. But on the MKX my elbow hits the latches on the console since the padded area is shorter.

Any thoughts or mods that people have done to make it comfortable for a 6ft man? I hate to walk away from what appears to be the perfect vehicle for me except for a piece of molding. But I'd hate to spend the money on a new vehicle and have to sell it because of comfort.

Thanks.

I think it depends on how you sit, not your size. I've heard lots of complaints on the Taurus but none on the Edge up until now. Have you tried moving the seat further back or changing the height?

Im 6'2" and have no problem at all. Im comming from a Dodge Caliber though... in that car my leg actually would develop a bruise from the center console after a long trip. In my Edge i can comfortably sit without touching it or lean my leg on it if wanted. The greatest thing about the edge is that with the seat in a position that i feel comfortable im not looking out the rear window! I can even sit in the backseat with the seat in the same position (As long as driver entry assist is deactivated).

I'm 6'1" , 250 lbs. I have no trouble with the seat and legroom in my 2007 SE. I can dial in the manual seat and tilt telescope to a very comfortable driving position.

My wifes 2004 4Runner, on the other hand, while offering every power adjustment known to man, is not nearly as accomodating. Go figure.

I went to the dealership with my brother and didn't seem to have an issue but the first thing he mentioned was the center console hitting his leg. I did some searching and found another guy worried that it would be really uncomfortable if you were wearing shorts because his leg rests on the center console. Another person mentioned that he'd never buy an Edge unless that giant center console was fixed (without going into details about his issue). I sat in a number of GM's, Nissan's etc and you can swing your leg around with no issues - but not in the Edge. My Explorer has no issues either.

I also didn't have an issue with the head rests until I read about them here. Then I sat in one and it bugged me. I guess the power of suggestion really works on me lol. I think the head rest issue is a safety feature and since it doesn't hit me in the head I don't think I'll care. A woman with a pony tail (or a guy I suppose) would be really annoyed though.

As for seating position the strange thing is that I'm an identical twin and we both like our seating positions to be completely different. My brother likes to be in close to the steering (bad for air-bag safety) and I like to sit way back. But we both noticed the issue on the Edge - perhaps it's because his truck and my Explorer have so much side leg room. I think the left side is fine and even the right is okay except when pushing the gas pedal - which is kind of important.

I'm stopping at a dealership on the way home to see if there is some seating position I can find that works for me. Who knows, after driving for a while it might end up being comfortable resting my leg on the console.

Thanks for all the replies!

I also didn't have an issue with the head rests until I read about them here. Then I sat in one and it bugged me. I guess the power of suggestion really works on me lol. I think the head rest issue is a safety feature and since it doesn't hit me in the head I don't think I'll care. A woman with a pony tail (or a guy I suppose) would be really annoyed though.

Definately not a a car for high pony tails. I have to pull mine low when I get in. Someone switched the back to the front and they are much happier. I haven't done this yet as without the pony tail, I am fine.

The center console does get in the way some.

I am six feet tall and prefer to sit as far back as I can. I also prefer to sit up as high as I can. In our Monterey I can do both but not in the Edge.

Apparently Ford engineers think that if you want the seat high you must be short so the seat moves forward when you raise it. Lower it and the seat moves back.

With the seat lowered and as far back as it will go I feel like I am sitting in the bowels of a tank looking out a peephole. Raise the seat so I can see out better and the seat moves forward.

It is a compromise that I will eventually get right I guess.

11 Edge SEL with 202A rapid speck and Sirius Navigation.

I test drove a 2011 SEL two weeks ago before buying a used 2010 Limited instead. There have been significant interior redesign changes between the 2010 and the 2011 which have resulted in a more cramped feeling with both the doors and the center console closer to the driver and passenger, the console height raised so it nudges against your elbow, and the window sill and driver's arm rest feeling closer. Plus, on the passeger side footwheel, the transmission hump and an extra cover or accessory plug extend into the passenger's footspace. The overall feeling of the 2011 SEL was it was more cramped to the point of claustrophobia. In comparison, the 2010, even though I am finding issues with it, was much more open and comfortable for both the driver and the passenger. I am 6', 210 lbs and my wife is 5'3" and slender so body size and type should not have been the deciding factor. Both of us agreed that there was no way on earth we could drive or ride in the 2011 SEL; it was just too confining.

Seriously?

Okay, claustrophobia might be a little over the top, but quite seriously we both felt severely confined and cramped in the 2011 SEL while the 2010 Limited felt very open and spacious. For point of reference, I also got the same sense of cramped and crowded in a 2011 Taurus SHO and a 2005 Mustang coupe. Not so much in the 2011 Mustang coupe and not at all in my wife's 2001 Mustang convertible even with the roof up. I think it has to do with the height of the center console and the door mounted armrest and window sill -- I think they are higher in the 2011 Edge. I am 6' tall, but most of my height is in my torso, not my legs, so I have to run the seat all the way down to have adequate head room. This causes the console and door arm rest to be higher relative to the seat bottom and above the natural fall of my elbows. My wife is only 5'3", and she likes a medium height position to the seat, not full down, but she still noticed the same crowding. Personal opinion is that the 2011 interior redesign was a mistake.

Okay, claustrophobia might be a little over the top, but quite seriously we both felt severely confined and cramped in the 2011 SEL while the 2010 Limited felt very open and spacious. For point of reference, I also got the same sense of cramped and crowded in a 2011 Taurus SHO and a 2005 Mustang coupe. Not so much in the 2011 Mustang coupe and not at all in my wife's 2001 Mustang convertible even with the roof up. I think it has to do with the height of the center console and the door mounted armrest and window sill -- I think they are higher in the 2011 Edge. I am 6' tall, but most of my height is in my torso, not my legs, so I have to run the seat all the way down to have adequate head room. This causes the console and door arm rest to be higher relative to the seat bottom and above the natural fall of my elbows. My wife is only 5'3", and she likes a medium height position to the seat, not full down, but she still noticed the same crowding. Personal opinion is that the 2011 interior redesign was a mistake.

That's better. Just thought claustrophobic was a little over the top.

I've spent a lot of time in a 2010 and 2011 SEL. The 2011 center console looks really cool but it is a little wide and has lost a lot of functionality. I'm 6' and don't have any leg room problems but much prefer the 2010 console. It's nice to have that little storage tray!!!!!

Definately not a a car for high pony tails. I have to pull mine low when I get in. Someone switched the back to the front and they are much happier. I haven't done this yet as without the pony tail, I am fine.

It doesn't work. That member posted that tidbit of information in his welcome thread, but I tested it out and the spacing on the poles is different:

Headrests%20-%20pole%20comparison.jpg

Headrest%20-%20hole%20shot.jpg

For the pony tail issue I've heard that rather than switching it with the backseat headrest you can just reverse the position of the front headrest - as in take it out, rotate 180 degrees and re-insert. There is a slight slope to it that might work better. (don't do this if you have a rear seat entertainment system of course since the LCD in the back of your head might hurt if you hit it :hysterical: )

Keep in mind that for neck safety in an accident it's best to have it in the position it was built with. (But if you have a sore neck or are preoccupied with your head hitting the rest it seems like that could become a safety issue itself).

I think this will become an issue with a lot of new vehicles. It's safer to have the headrest by your head but can be restrictive. My mechanic brother in law tried removing the headrest on his Suzuki to switch it around and the thing is designed so it can't be removed. He wasn't very happy about that. He's practically bald and not very picky about things so for him to even bother looking at this shows the new designs will be an issue. I think I was in one car that had headrests that would move forward in a crash. That's a good idea but would of course add to the cost of the vehicle.

One thing I did read was a suggestion that they make it so you could fold the rear headrests forward if they weren't needed so the driver could have more rear visibility. I rarely have people in the back so this sounds like a great idea. It seems like designers now don't care about rear visibility anymore - they just want things to look cool. All the BLIS and cameras in the world don't make up for the ability to just do a quick shoulder check in heavy traffic.

I want the BLIS blind spot system but I'm half worried that it'll be distracting since I have another thing to look at before changing lanes. I wish is would give an audible warning if someone was in your blind spot and you activated your signal light. I don't think it does that - which is odd, since it seems strange that it would let you turn while knowing someone is in your blind spot.

I did sit in an Edge last night and it seemed better or at least okay for the driver legroom. The funny thing is that I almost wish the seat could be adjusted sideways a tiny bit since there is so much room on the left and so little on the right. Anyway, I've pretty much got my heart set on an Edge so after 1 more test drive I think I'll be getting one. Every vehicle takes a bit of getting used to so hopefully I can enjoy the ride and quit thinking about the legroom.

For the pony tail issue I've heard that rather than switching it with the backseat headrest you can just reverse the position of the front headrest - as in take it out, rotate 180 degrees and re-insert. There is a slight slope to it that might work better. (don't do this if you have a rear seat entertainment system of course since the LCD in the back of your head might hurt if you hit it :hysterical: )

Keep in mind that for neck safety in an accident it's best to have it in the position it was built with. (But if you have a sore neck or are preoccupied with your head hitting the rest it seems like that could become a safety issue itself).

It truly isn't uncomfortable now - as long as I pull my pony tail down, but I have turned the passenger side one around. The driver side my husband sits in and it really never bothers him. It did take a couple of weeks to get the seat completely set correctly, but now it is great.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 6' and find the driver seat positioning to be quite good in my 2011 MKX - maybe slight knee irritation on the console and if I slide the driver's side armrest forward for comfort, I lose the cup holder functionality -

BUT for the rare times I sit in the passenger seat, knee room is really pretty bad. With that seat moved all the way back, my knees are still in contact with the glove box unless I tilt the seat quite a bit. So I find leg room is very good for the rear seat and driver but I'd sure like some cushioning on that glove box...

I had a test drive in a 2011 Edge Limited, and did not notice any issues in seating position; Im 6'3ft / 300lbs. But I did end up buying one of the last 2010 Edge Limited they had in stock here in the UAE; definetly it "feels" more spacious than the 2011.

Edited by edino

• 1 year later...

Last year when I was looking at edge's, as much as I like the 2011 interior updates... It felt cramped and more car-like. One of the main reasons I loved the original edge was because the interior was spacious and truck-like. Was really close to buying the new one just for the new gadgets. But I was just more at home sitting in the 2009 Edge. I'm 6'2, 220lbs, and I'm completely comfortable in my 2009, lots of legroom.

FYI the headrests in the 13 edge have a front to back swivel feature that allows you to move the bottom of the headrest forward and back. We have several F-150 service vehicles with the fixed headrests and it's very annoying when the headrest is always touching the back of your head.

I am not sure if the cabin on the 13 is different than the 11 but I don't find the console to be a problem. There is plenty of leg room for my 6'2" frame and I the seat isn't even all the way back. Armrests seem to be in the right location as well.