20" Edge Chrome Wheels - ripoff?

trockli

Just realized now that the 20" chrome wheels on our 11 Edge are not what I expected. Looks like the chrome is a plastic part attached on top of the wheel?

I cant believe youre upset about your $800.00 hub caps!

ab

post-3705-0-55645400-1314012166_thumb.jpg

Edited by ablb

I think most people are missing the point of this thread.

Ford and all other manufactures are charging an unbelievable amount of money for what is basically an unfinished aluminum wheel with a plastic hub cap glued on.

I would love to see the profit margin for this 1 upgrade.

ab

One downside is that chrome plated steel or aluminum wheels can be repaired if they get bent, but the chrome-clad (plastic covered) wheels can't.

I had to have one of my 2011 Edge 20" chrome-clad wheels and tire replaced, which were damaged when I ran over roadway debris (a transformer from a halide street light, but no way to track where it came from). It punctured the tire and bent the rim, including the chrome-clad plastic overlay.

I took the damaged wheel to four different wheel shops and was told that they could not repair the chrome-clad wheel because the heat used to repair normal aluminum or steel wheels would melt the plastic overlay, and that they could not remove and replace the overlay. They said a lot of the manufacturers are going the chrome-clad route, the reason being chrome-clad wheels reject brake dust and dirt better than the normal chrome wheels, but I assume the truth is that they're just cheaper to manufacture.

I agree. I've had my Edge for about three weeks and didn't realize the 20's were just plastic until the first time I washed it. I was pissed that I paid $900 for plastic, but as others have stated, they should look nice longer barring any unforseen damage. Guess I have to live with them now anyway.

Scott

I think most people are missing the point of this thread.

Ford and all other manufactures are charging an unbelievable amount of money for what is basically an unfinished aluminum wheel with a plastic hub cap glued on.

I would love to see the profit margin for this 1 upgrade.

ab

Yes, I agree.

But when I think of it from their point of view (Ford's), that extra margin can allow the company to "not skimp" in some other area. Corners are going to get cut in car manufacturing and I would rather it be in an area that doesn't have real effect. This plastic "hubcap" as we call it has shown mostly problems in the area of expectations rather than performance.

I'd say there's a good chance an aluminum wheel with chrome cladding might actually be more expensive than a simple chrome plated steel wheel. They still have to manufacture the aluminum wheel, chrome plate the "hubcap" and epoxy it to the wheel. So the wheel itself is more expensive and it takes more labor.

I don't think this was done to save a buck - I think it was done to save weight and produce a longer lasting product that doesn't get pitted over time. Chrome platers say the finish is just as durable as traditional chrome on steel.

I have a used 2009 with 25,000 miles and 20" chrome wheels (plastic clad) and just noticed with my first wash that the chrome is bubbling and one have the chrome starting to peel. It sounds like most are pleased with their wheels and no problems noted on this thread. I'm headed to the dealer to see what can be done for replacement... not sure if warranty will apply or not.

I have a used 2009 with 25,000 miles and 20" chrome wheels (plastic clad) and just noticed with my first wash that the chrome is bubbling and one have the chrome starting to peel. It sounds like most are pleased with their wheels and no problems noted on this thread. I'm headed to the dealer to see what can be done for replacement... not sure if warranty will apply or not.

There were problems with the 20" chrome wheels. If you're under warranty it shouldn't be an issue.

There was a service bulletin on the 20inch chrome cladders regarding noise coming from them at driving speeds. I received 4 new ones for free from my dealership.

Unfortunately, the wife curbed one and I curbed the second. So, my 20 in chrome clads look like crap. The chrome peeled off and the plastic (whitish grey) is visible. The worst thing? I can't find anyplace to repair them, and am not going to buy new wheels.

I am 100% happy with my Edge. I am 0% happy with the chrome clads. What a joke.

^ sorry to hear that. I have the 18"s (had 55 series tires on my '10 Terrain) and I wouldn't trade looks for sidewall in the future.

I absolutely LOVE my Edge (+ 1 month and 1,600km) but there is a feature I miss from the Terrain and that is the park (reverse) tilt mirrors... that feature worked wonders for protecting the chrome clad wheels on that vehicle (chrome clad are VERY common on today's vehicles) and since I'm the only one driving the Edge I have memory position 2 set to tilt the right side mirror down.

It's saved the right wheels from curb rash on a number of occasions...

• 4 weeks later...