NEW MFT UPDATE IS OUT!!!!

Looks pretty snappy. That same guy (on youtube) installs a wallpaper on the new MFT system. Not real thrilled with the end result, but it's a small thing.

Peace,

DM

Yeah I'm kinda bummed that there isn't a 'blank' home screen with all the information in the corners. Wallpapers are kinda useless if they are covered up by all of the icons.

Mikey, you're not that far from several of us in the Forsythish Fultonish area. If you have time tomorrow, and don't mind driving up here, I can tell you how to have it tomorrow.

Thk for kind offer. I sent you a PM. If you might, pls drop me a phone call and let's do it. Sincere Best Wishes, Mikey on Lake Oconee

Did all of you receive the letter a few months back telling to expect the flash drives soon?

I have a 2011 MKX. I am registered on syncmyride, etc, but I did NOT ever get a letter. Should I be concerned and/or plan on doing the dealer install?

I leased my 2012 Edge back at the end of Dec, but never received the letter either.

Like a tree in a park?

Those that want the update...

http://www.madison86.com/mft/mft.htm

Now here's the cool thing. The packages are signed by a Ford certificate BUT that covers the code... Ford have included in some of the packages resource files which are SWF (Flash) files for the whole user interface. I believe (I know a bit about this stuff) that this is our hole. I have decompiled some of the flash and sure enough... well... my thoughts here are that I could modify an existing flash file to CALL another new flash file that I can deploy in the update alongside the others. This would allow us to put calls into the Sync system (through the new flash file) that aren't usually exposed. Now this is a big job ahead, but I do think its possible. Certainly enabling things that are only available on the Lincoln on the Ford is easy (I remember in the current version the sound menu was different - this could be easily changed in the Ford package).

Anyhow, I'll take a look and see what I can do.

Should be fun.

Edit: The more I look into this the more wide open this seems to be... I'm sure the zips that contain the resource files and the cab files are not signed in any way which allows us to modify the resources in there (not the cabs or pks files though). If that turns out to be true, a simple change to the SWF file is the gate into the core. Before I'd flash my car though, I'd want to make sure I could reflash or change the SWF file. I'm going to be looking at the update process to see if you can force a package to run again (even when the car is fully up to date). Also I'll be looking at the Sync Apps installer to see what happens there. Maybe some way of just updating an SWF file from USB without running through a whole package update even... who knows.

In this update there are a couple of SWF files that aren't used as far as I can tell. Look like test ones (such as GenericApp), there could be some interesting stuff in there. There is an opportunity here to do something cool I think without risking the rest of the system - for example, small modification to one of the existing SWFs to include a tiny button that launches a different SWF file ... our SWF file. That could potentially carry many things ;-)

Now, of course, I could be wrong about all of the above!

Second Edit: So I said I could be wrong.

So shortly after the excitement, I have found something that might kill the plan. It appears that inside the cab file it names the payload in the resources folder... then the dreaded line:

% s : Hash checking of files failed .

This implies to me that they *do* in fact check the resource files and hash the whole package. If thats true thats a massive spanner in the works.

Not going to give up though!

I'm now moving my progress over to the Ford sync forum website as I think its more relevant there:

http://fordsyncforum.com/index.php?/topic/542-frown-on-hack-posts/page__st__40

Edited by l33

Had the new version done Tuesday by the dealer. The nav screens and graphics are better with updates properly applied to the maps. The entertainment screen is nice but seems a little compressed or distorted in apprearance. I also noticed that the only way to find out what mode the climate control system is in is to actually engage the climate control main screen. The mode otherwise does not display in the bottom right as before, only shows the temp.