Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

It's either a design problem they overlooked in testing or (more likely) a change in materials or specs that occured at the last minute or without Ford's knowledge that shows up in cold temps. Once they figure out what to change it will most likely not reoccur. So while it's a major PITA it doesn't sound like anything to worry about long term.

Ummm you buy a 40K vehicle and tell me that it is a PITA and nothing to get bothered about. I didn't buy an upgraded EDGE to smell like some piece of rubber had died on the top of my engine and circulates the air throughout the cabin of my car. Ford may wonder why their market share for car sales in the US is fallen or I should say has fallen and I will tell you customer service and quality is ALWAYS the reason businesses succeed. People pay extra for quality and service. Ford needs to wake up and realize that back there is a reason people say toyota and honda are RELIABLE cars.

I have also noticed a strange smell with my 08 AWD Edge. The car has 2300 miles on it, and I've only noticed it 3 or 4 times. Each time has been when I was stopped at a light. Once I get back going the smell goes away.. Next light I'm stuck at, smell is gone - very peculiar. I live in upstate NY and it has been very cold here recently...... I haven't payed enough attention to figure if there's a correlation of smell when the car is cold or has warmed up. I was suprised to stumble upon this post just now, it's not only me! I'll pay a little more attention now!

Mine is a 2007 AWD MKX and I have the same problem. I hope Ford browses these forums to see what people are reporting about their cars. I call it free Quality Control. I took my vehicle over the weekend and have yet to hear back from them. I told the service people about this forum and the web address to show them I was not the only one. I hope they follow through. One of the service people asked me what people in this forum was saying the problem was caused by and so far I have not seen where someone has said it is caused by this or that. I suspect this is a new problem as this is the first winter / cold days for this model as the EDGE/MKX was started in 2007 (Or at least I believe it started in 2007).

Mine is a 2007 AWD MKX and I have the same problem. I hope Ford browses these forums to see what people are reporting about their cars. I call it free Quality Control. I took my vehicle over the weekend and have yet to hear back from them. I told the service people about this forum and the web address to show them I was not the only one. I hope they follow through. One of the service people asked me what people in this forum was saying the problem was caused by and so far I have not seen where someone has said it is caused by this or that. I suspect this is a new problem as this is the first winter / cold days for this model as the EDGE/MKX was started in 2007 (Or at least I believe it started in 2007).

Its the PTU ( Power Takeoff Unit) axle seal for the intermediate shaft that is failing.

The only thing that cures it is replacing the PTU. Dealers have tryed to replace the seal and it will

just happen again.

Takes over six hours to do this job. Ford pays us 2.4 hours to fix this.

PTU units are on backorder.

Have your dealer inspect the seal and order the parts.

Richard and Barbie

Ummm you buy a 40K vehicle and tell me that it is a PITA and nothing to get bothered about. I didn't buy an upgraded EDGE to smell like some piece of rubber had died on the top of my engine and circulates the air throughout the cabin of my car. Ford may wonder why their market share for car sales in the US is fallen or I should say has fallen and I will tell you customer service and quality is ALWAYS the reason businesses succeed. People pay extra for quality and service. Ford needs to wake up and realize that back there is a reason people say toyota and honda are RELIABLE cars.

All I meant was that it wasn't a sign of bad things to come with the vehicle long term. It's something that can be fixed and shouldn't reoccur. Stuff happens, even with Hondas and Toyotas. You should see what the Toyota Tundra owners are having to deal with - snapped camshafts, damaged tailgates, transmission problems, vibrations, etc, etc. Not to mention the tranny problems on the Camrys and Accords.

All I meant was that it wasn't a sign of bad things to come with the vehicle long term. It's something that can be fixed and shouldn't reoccur. Stuff happens, even with Hondas and Toyotas. You should see what the Toyota Tundra owners are having to deal with - snapped camshafts, damaged tailgates, transmission problems, vibrations, etc, etc. Not to mention the tranny problems on the Camrys and Accords.

Sorry upon re-reading my post it was a little harsh sounding. But, I can truly say I am quite disappointed that the smell in my car seems to be something that occurs during the cold weather season and the past few days here have been warm. So, the likely event that the Ford service will find anything wrong is minimal and I will have to wheel it back to the service department once again on the next cold day. I don't want to waste my time nor the Ford service departments time and money as I have requested a rental car (their expense) while it is in the shop.

Again, not angry at you but frustrated that this problem has not been identified yet.

Its the PTU ( Power Takeoff Unit) axle seal for the intermediate shaft that is failing.

The only thing that cures it is replacing the PTU. Dealers have tryed to replace the seal and it will

just happen again.

Takes over six hours to do this job. Ford pays us 2.4 hours to fix this.

PTU units are on backorder.

Have your dealer inspect the seal and order the parts.

Richard and Barbie

INteresting.... I am not an expert in the internal workings of this vehicle but could someone explain what the PTU does and why the smell only occurs during cold weather?

INteresting.... I am not an expert in the internal workings of this vehicle but could someone explain what the PTU does and why the smell only occurs during cold weather?

My dealer only replaced the seal, not the entire PTU and it seems to be working fine. However, the seal itself is also on a national backorder and the dealer had my car for nearly three weeks.

The reason you're noticing the smell in cold weather is because you're most likely using the heat. The fluid leaks and causes an odor which is then smelled through the vents. That's why using the circulating air function when the heat is on helps somewhat - but you're still likely to smell it.

My dealer only replaced the seal, not the entire PTU and it seems to be working fine. However, the seal itself is also on a national backorder and the dealer had my car for nearly three weeks.

The reason you're noticing the smell in cold weather is because you're most likely using the heat. The fluid leaks and causes an odor which is then smelled through the vents. That's why using the circulating air function when the heat is on helps somewhat - but you're still likely to smell it.

More likely that the cold weather is causing a difference in expansion between the case and the seal causing it to leak.

The PTO sounds like the part that sends power to the rear wheels - similar to the transfer case on a 4x4.

Edited by akirby

More likely that the cold weather is causing a difference in expansion between the case and the seal causing it to leak.

The PTO sounds like the part that sends power to the rear wheels - similar to the transfer case on a 4x4.

UPDATE: Called the dealership and the Ford bulletins are aware of the leaking of the PTU fluid due to being overfilled. They reduced the amount of fluid from overfilled to max. Ummm... yeah. Anyway, they are also aware of the seal. They told me they will check the car again to make sure it did not leak after they reduced some of the fluid. I told them I was concerned it would not leak since the weather is warm right now instead of the cold temperatures and he was aware of that but had to follow Ford guidelines apparently in troubleshooting problems. i hope it does not need a new seal but it that solves the problem then fine.

UPDATE: Called the dealership and the Ford bulletins are aware of the leaking of the PTU fluid due to being overfilled. They reduced the amount of fluid from overfilled to max. Ummm... yeah. Anyway, they are also aware of the seal. They told me they will check the car again to make sure it did not leak after they reduced some of the fluid. I told them I was concerned it would not leak since the weather is warm right now instead of the cold temperatures and he was aware of that but had to follow Ford guidelines apparently in troubleshooting problems. i hope it does not need a new seal but it that solves the problem then fine.

i hope that ford doesnt start using this as a simple fix to the real problem, which is to either fix the seal or replace the whole PTU

i hope that ford doesnt start using this as a simple fix to the real problem, which is to either fix the seal or replace the whole PTU

That was my concern too. As this would be probably be recall worthy if seals are incorrectly installed at the factory. Simply reducing the amount of fluid seemed too simplistic to me too. Otherwise they would have done it the first time I took it in for this problem in which they did not think there was anything wrong. Oh well I will have to wait for the next cold day to see if this smell happens again. Then another trek back to the dealership if it does. This last trip cost Ford 3 days worth for a rental SUV. The previous trip cost them 2 days for a rental car. This is getting pricey for them...

That was my concern too. As this would be probably be recall worthy if seals are incorrectly installed at the factory. Simply reducing the amount of fluid seemed too simplistic to me too. Otherwise they would have done it the first time I took it in for this problem in which they did not think there was anything wrong. Oh well I will have to wait for the next cold day to see if this smell happens again. Then another trek back to the dealership if it does. This last trip cost Ford 3 days worth for a rental SUV. The previous trip cost them 2 days for a rental car. This is getting pricey for them...

That's unfortunate, I had such great service from my Ford dealer here in Seattle. He thouroughly checked everything, diagnosed the problem and had his most senior mechanic make the repairs since the vehicle was so new. He called me every day with updates and put me in a good rental. They also did a 30 point inspection and gave it back to me washed and detailed. I am extremely happy with Bill Pierre Ford. From what I'm hearing from everyone else, I'm thankful I'm here in Seattle!

Edited by K.Baker

I'm going to bring mine in to the dealership next week to drop the bomb on them that my edge has this burning smell/leaking problem. We are in a bit of a warm spell this week here in New England and i highly doubt the smell would happen during the times that i want it too.

Along with the burning smell i have a few other issues with my edge. Moisture in both taillights, outside pass door handle sticks in open possition,driver seat sqeaks. I figure they might as well fix them all if they are going to have it for as long as everyone says that have it for the PTU issue..

I have first hand experience here. My son just moved back home with me from Phoenix and his Super Duper wonderful Toyota has a failing Transmission in it right now. Sort of a Shutter when stopping like a Manual Transmission when you come to a stop and don't push the clutch in. His is an Automatic Tranny and when I got on line there are thousands of people screaming about their Pre Runner SR5 transmissions failing.

Every Automobile has problems, MKX is right if it was made to last 25 years it would cost more than we would want to pay.

The good news is, as you already said, there is nothing that one person put on a vehicle that another person can't fix.

Drop my Edge off 2 weeks ago and the dealer is still waiting for parts due to the back order problem.

I've noticed several of you referring to a rental from your dealer.

I'm not sure about all dealers, but my dealer gave me a free loaner until the fix is done.

They gave me a 2008 Subaru Tribeca which of course is also all wheel drive.

I hate the feel of the cars driving, and the layout of the cabin controls really stink, but at least I have a vehicle to use without shelling out more cash.

Hope the parts come soon, I miss my Edge. :cry:

Drop my Edge off 2 weeks ago and the dealer is still waiting for parts due to the back order problem.

I've noticed several of you referring to a rental from your dealer.

I'm not sure about all dealers, but my dealer gave me a free loaner until the fix is done.

They gave me a 2008 Subaru Tribeca which of course is also all wheel drive.

I hate the feel of the cars driving, and the layout of the cabin controls really stink, but at least I have a vehicle to use without shelling out more cash.

Hope the parts come soon, I miss my Edge. :cry:

I have had my MKX in the service dealership 3 times. The first time (trim to the rear sunroof was loose and causing a rattle. They replaced the whole unit.) they gave me some loaner car that had 2 major dents in the side, smelled like musty furniture and guzzled the gas. I drove it to work which was 5 miles from the dealership and the gas tank was almost to empty. This car started out with a half tank of gas. i complained that the car I got was a piece of junk considering I called in advance for a loaner car since the repair on the vehicle was going to take awhile.

The second time (investigate burnt rubber smell - they found nothing wrong) they gave me a Ford focus. Nothing that critical about the focus. It is a good little car but I believe you honestly get what you pay for and driving the MKX and the focus is like night and day. The day was raining and to tell you the truth I did not feel safe in this car. This was from Enterprise car rental.

The third time (investigate burnt rubber smell again and reduced the amount of PTU fluid from overfilled to max) they got another car from Enterprise and it was a Ford Edge. Ahhh... at least something similar to the car I was getting checked out. Alas, I must have bad luck. The Edge had a window sticker showing a no smoking symbol and I look in the drink holder in the middle console and I see cigarette ashes. The whole car smells like smoke and I could swear that some employee at Enterprise must have used this car as a personal vehicle. It was plain dirty. i ended up going to the airport and exchanging it from a Ford Edge to a Chevy Trailblazer. The trailblazer actually handled more firmly and securely than the Edge.

In fact, the next time i purchase a vehicle I think I will rent the model for a few days to get a real feel for a car. Anyway, I could say I was greatly disappointed that a company like Lincoln would use Focus and dirty cars to lend to their customers versus a clean Acura TL when I used to have my Acura MDX in the repair shop. A small and perhaps minor issue but greatly magnified when you are driving in a moble butt hut and your wife has asthma.

I was greatly disappointed that a company like Lincoln would use Focus and dirty cars to lend to their customers versus a clean Acura TL when I used to have my Acura MDX in the repair shop.

I agree with the sentiment but the blame is displaced. Lincoln has no control whatsoever over which loaner vehicle the dealership decides to give you. The dealers won't let Lincoln dictate things like that - they hide behind the state franchise laws. All Lincoln can do is provide reimbursement to the dealership.

This isn't limited to Lincoln dealers. A local Mercedes dealer uses Camrys and Accords for loaners.

Find a better dealer.

I know the dealer that we bought our edge from has 6 loaner cars that they own to give out, not sure what they are though. And if all the loaners are out then they pull a new car off the front line comparable to the car you own. We'll that is what the salesman told me anyways, we'll see...

Our local Honda dealer has an inhouse "rental" desk that is independent but obviously tied to the dealership. It only has Honda's which are "loaners" or low cost "rentals" depending on what you are having done. Took our van in for some brake work and they put me in a no charge civic. Small but would definitely come back and look at one if/when it is time to downsize. The one gripe I have is that they don't put you in a "similar" vehicle (ex: van for a van) but given the number of cars they work on that would not be feasible.

The dealership also does a great job on the shuttle. All current year and top of the line models with all the bells and whistles. My one trip in the shuttle van had me seriously wondering if it wasn't time to trade in for a new model. All those nice new toys and the smell of fresh leather seating....

Ford (or more correctly its dealer network) could learn a few things from Honda/Toyota etc.. No one has a patent on these good ideas or practices !

I noticed a burning smell, like burnt popcorn, in my 2007 AWD. Took it in to the dealer yesterday. A seal had broke. Transmission fluid was leaking on my exhaust system. They repaired it, drove 10 miles and the car started to smoke really bad. Took it back to the dealer. The seal broke again. They said the seal is on national backorder.

I noticed a burning smell, like burnt popcorn, in my 2007 AWD. Took it in to the dealer yesterday. A seal had broke. Transmission fluid was leaking on my exhaust system. They repaired it, drove 10 miles and the car started to smoke really bad. Took it back to the dealer. The seal broke again. They said the seal is on national backorder.

From what my dealer told me when I had mine replaced is that the seal acts like an umbrella in the way that it opens and seals. Apparently it can be very difficult to install correctly and that's part of the problem (though I'm sure faulty seals are also a big part). Because of the difficulty, my dealer has his most senior mechanic that's experienced with newer cars replace the seal. It was in the shop for 3 weeks because of the backorder but I've now had it back for 2 weeks and it's been great - I hope it did the trick!

From what my dealer told me when I had mine replaced is that the seal acts like an umbrella in the way that it opens and seals. Apparently it can be very difficult to install correctly and that's part of the problem (though I'm sure faulty seals are also a big part). Because of the difficulty, my dealer has his most senior mechanic that's experienced with newer cars replace the seal. It was in the shop for 3 weeks because of the backorder but I've now had it back for 2 weeks and it's been great - I hope it did the trick!

The dealership told me that an engineer from Ford was coming in to look at my car! They said that they replace the seal on my car four times in 2 days! They also said that they are getting more and more complaints about the same problem. The engineer is supposedly using my car to figure out what is going on! I hope I am not looking at a 3 week vacation from my car! Thanks for the in depth explanation. It really helped me understand what the heck is going on!