Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

That looks lie the first time that they fixed my EDGE. It didnt work for my car but I hope it does for yours. They replaced the PTU this time. I drove it and it still smells a little but not as bad. I hope its the residual oil just burning off. Well have to see. Good luck my friend.

I have noticed since I first posted that there is a leak in the area of the transfer case / PTU. Our Edge is kept in the garage so based on the drips on the floor (or lack there of), it doesn't appear to be a big leak. This explains the burning smells so I will be bring it in. Being the entire drivetrain on these cars debuted for the 2007 model year, it is understandable such a teething problem could occur. I'm hoping this fix Ford has will do the trick. Thanks for the info everyone.

Edited by mgazak

Two weeks today and I'm still in my crappy rental. Parts are on a major backorder. How disappointing.

Ā 

Well, count me in on this...The smell of burnt oil only lasts a minute or two and then nothing for a while...In my case, there is no visible smoke, just the smell..

Ā 

Looks like a trip to the FORD dealer once they re-open after the holidays..

Well, count me in on this...The smell of burnt oil only lasts a minute or two and then nothing for a while...In my case, there is no visible smoke, just the smell..

Ā 

Looks like a trip to the FORD dealer once they re-open after the holidays..

Ā 

That sounds about how mine started. From what I've been hearing/reading, the leaks are really minor but still need fixing (obviously). Good luck to you!!

That sounds about how mine started. From what I've been hearing/reading, the leaks are really minor but still need fixing (obviously). Good luck to you!!

Ā 

Ā 

Are they replacing the entire PTU (Power Transfer Unit) on your car, or just the faulty seals (Gaskets)? I have read that servicing the faulty seals requires some specialized tools that not all FORD dealerships may have, hence easier to replace the PTU..

Ā 

If this is a "common" problem with certain 2007 Edge's, do we know which vehicles are at risk of having this problem - i.e. from VIN #'s or Production dates?

Ā 

Do the MKX have this problem?

Ā 

Hmmm, I wouldn't want my transfer case to run out of oil because it leaked out completely and have a major problem getting stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere..Mr. FORD, time

for a TSB??

Are they replacing the entire PTU (Power Transfer Unit) on your car, or just the faulty seals (Gaskets)? I have read that servicing the faulty seals requires some specialized tools that not all FORD dealerships may have, hence easier to replace the PTU..

Ā 

If this is a "common" problem with certain 2007 Edge's, do we know which vehicles are at risk of having this problem - i.e. from VIN #'s or Production dates?

Ā 

Do the MKX have this problem?

Ā 

Hmmm, I wouldn't want my transfer case to run out of oil because it leaked out completely and have a major problem getting stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere..Mr. FORD, time

for a TSB??

Ā 

From what I'm reading some are the entire PTUs. Mine was just faulty seals thankfully. The service guy has been in constant contact with me and assures me they're simply waiting for parts. Forgive me for sounding like a layman, but it's some sort of an umbrella type seal - something that opens after placing it on. It wasn't done correctly at the factory and now they're waiting for a new one. He said they are easy to install incorrectly, but he hasn't seen any Edges in his particular shop yet with the same problem. Maybe it just hasn't been around quite long enough yet. Maybe we'll see a recall in 08??

Another type of bad smell for the Edge

Ā 

Well, I found this site by googling "Ford Edge bad smell"...

Ā 

My 2007 SEL AWD smells terrible since beginning of November. It all started with a visit to the dealer where they: 1) installed winter tires; 2) changed oil and; 3) performed the 20,000km service and inspection routine. Since then, the dealer unsuccessfully tried to find the problem (3 times at the dealer for 2-5 days). Ford engineers have been involved since December.

Ā 

I have the car since April 07 and it never happened before (no trouble for about 20,000 km).

Ā 

The symptoms look the same as those described in the topic: On stops, but after driving for a few miles, a smell enters into the cabin (not perceptible from the outside however) except that it doesn't smell the burning. I cannot precisely describe the smell: It's a blend of propane, sulphur and ... garbage. It's stinks - really. No smoke, just a smell. A terrible smell. Even if I open the window, the smell will stay persistent until I start moving around.

Ā 

I don't think it comes from the synthetic fluid dripping on the exhaust. I contacted the dealer to give him the infos found here and he said they already checked and there was no leak on the PTU. It is something else. As far as I can say, there is another customer (MKX) with the same exact problem at the same dealer. Maybe more out there to show up? - let's see.

Ā 

For now, I am hounding the dealer to make sure he follows with Ford engineers. Who know if these emissions are not toxic or damageable for the health. They don't even know where it comes from (for now).

Ā 

I will keep you informed.

Another type of bad smell for the Edge

Ā 

Well, I found this site by googling "Ford Edge bad smell"...

Ā 

My 2007 SEL AWD smells terrible since beginning of November. It all started with a visit to the dealer where they: 1) installed winter tires; 2) changed oil and; 3) performed the 20,000km service and inspection routine. Since then, the dealer unsuccessfully tried to find the problem (3 times at the dealer for 2-5 days). Ford engineers have been involved since December.

Ā 

I have the car since April 07 and it never happened before (no trouble for about 20,000 km).

Ā 

The symptoms look the same as those described in the topic: On stops, but after driving for a few miles, a smell enters into the cabin (not perceptible from the outside however) except that it doesn't smell the burning. I cannot precisely describe the smell: It's a blend of propane, sulphur and ... garbage. It's stinks - really. No smoke, just a smell. A terrible smell. Even if I open the window, the smell will stay persistent until I start moving around.

Ā 

I don't think it comes from the synthetic fluid dripping on the exhaust. I contacted the dealer to give him the infos found here and he said they already checked and there was no leak on the PTU. It is something else. As far as I can say, there is another customer (MKX) with the same exact problem at the same dealer. Maybe more out there to show up? - let's see.

Ā 

For now, I am hounding the dealer to make sure he follows with Ford engineers. Who know if these emissions are not toxic or damageable for the health. They don't even know where it comes from (for now).

Ā 

I will keep you informed.

Ā 

I am so glad I am not the only person to experience this smell. I own a 2007 AWD Lincoln MKX and I have the exact problem. On cold days when you are at a stop there is a strong gaseous like smell from as far as I can tell coming from the vents. I truly believe this is a problem as the symptoms are identical to what I am experiencing. I thought it was other vehicles exhaust or something and I would put the ventilation on using the recirculating air button but that did not make much of a difference. I am just glad I am not the only one as I have taken the car into the dealership but they told me they could not recreate the smell.

Ā 

My quess is that is happens on cold days and somehow something is going on that causes this burning, rubberish smell. So for the record I have also experiences this in the 2007 AWD MKX as well.

Just in the last month that I've been following this thread there have been several new people jumping up and saying they're experiencing the same symptoms, the worst part is they aren't all caused by the exact same issue. This is making me really nervous. I hope there isn't something integrally wrong with the Edge and that these things will work themselves out.

Ā 

Yikes!

I am so glad I am not the only person to experience this smell. I own a 2007 AWD Lincoln MKX and I have the exact problem. On cold days when you are at a stop there is a strong gaseous like smell from as far as I can tell coming from the vents. I truly believe this is a problem as the symptoms are identical to what I am experiencing. I thought it was other vehicles exhaust or something and I would put the ventilation on using the recirculating air button but that did not make much of a difference. I am just glad I am not the only one as I have taken the car into the dealership but they told me they could not recreate the smell.

Ā 

My quess is that is happens on cold days and somehow something is going on that causes this burning, rubberish smell. So for the record I have also experiences this in the 2007 AWD MKX as well.

Ā 

Ā 

Ahhhhh...MKXOwner! Not happy to hear that somebody else have the same problem but glad to know that I am not alone in this.

Ā 

You are absolutly right. I didn't experienced the problem before the colder days of winter (November). I also believe that the smell comes from the vents but it hard to tell because there is no smoke, nothing. I am dealing with the problem for almost 2 months now and my patience is near limit.

Ā 

I suggest we consider starting a new topic on the main maintenance page specifically for this problem now that we know that it's not just me (gonna call it "terrible smell", as opposed to "burning smell").

Ā 

I wonder if you are the MKX user that I mentionned (I live in southern Quebec). If yes, then we probably have the same dealer!!!

Ahhhhh...MKXOwner! Not happy to hear that somebody else have the same problem but glad to know that I am not alone in this.

Ā 

You are absolutly right. I didn't experienced the problem before the colder days of winter (November). I also believe that the smell comes from the vents but it hard to tell because there is no smoke, nothing. I am dealing with the problem for almost 2 months now and my patience is near limit.

Ā 

I suggest we consider starting a new topic on the main maintenance page specifically for this problem now that we know that it's not just me (gonna call it "terrible smell", as opposed to "burning smell").

Ā 

I wonder if you are the MKX user that I mentionned (I live in southern Quebec). If yes, then we probably have the same dealer!!!

Me too! Noticed it this past week (6000 miles). I originally thought it was the heated seat getting too hot. Then I smelled outside the car while in garage. I will be watching this thread closely and will take mine in next week.

It's either a design problem they overlooked in testing or (more likely) a change in materials or specs that occured at the last minute or without Ford's knowledge that shows up in cold temps. Once they figure out what to change it will most likely not reoccur. So while it's a major PITA it doesn't sound like anything to worry about long term.

If you are making parts for a major auto manufacturer like Ford there is no way in the world you try and substitute an unapproved material or part under an approved contract. Every component in a part has to be from an approved list that has been tested and signed off by everyone including Ford (PPAP). If you change something without approval then your firm will likely (a) loose the balance of the supply contract once its discovered (B) have to pay through the nose for any replacement/warranty claims Ā© never supply that outomaker again.

Ā 

I have no doubt that there is a part/design flaw but I am sure Ford signed off on it. Likely an unforeseen reaction /stress once the real production began.

Ā 

Still, a PITA as was noted earlier.

If you are making parts for a major auto manufacturer like Ford there is no way in the world you try and substitute an unapproved material or part under an approved contract. Every component in a part has to be from an approved list that has been tested and signed off by everyone including Ford (PPAP). If you change something without approval then your firm will likely (a) loose the balance of the supply contract once its discovered (B) have to pay through the nose for any replacement/warranty claims Ā© never supply that outomaker again.

Ā 

I have no doubt that there is a part/design flaw but I am sure Ford signed off on it. Likely an unforeseen reaction /stress once the real production began.

Ā 

Most likely just an issue on RED Edges... :shades:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I wasn't implying that it was done purposely (if at all), but stuff happens. I wasn't trying to blame anyone (it's Ford's responsibility regardless) - just trying to point out how something like that could happen in the first place.

Ā 

But I do seem to remember something similar happening at launch time on the Edge with a supplier providing faulty parts that help up final production. Or did I imagine that?

Edited by akirby

Other than a lot of speculation, I don't think I ever heard the exact reason, they held shipment up at the original launch date.

Ā 

I definitely feel pain here on these issues, however, lets put a few thing's to rest.. In jest it's easy to mention a 'Monday' problem. But what is a Monday when 3 shifts are working and your on a 7 day operation? Or you get 1-2 days off a month? These parts, all of them go along a sequence.. Most are run to DCP's,, by this guy today, and the next step tomorrow night, but by someone else. Everyone is concerned about quality. From the person who makes a part to that man's boss. Granted some problems should have NEVER left Oakville. Paint, bad door seems, etc.

Ā 

This CD3 platform is using a brand new Engine, Transmission and drive-line. Original model run was a hopeful 100K/yr. Due to this design success "the Mustang of CUV's" for the first year, that goal was a 175% SUCCESS. This is one of the problems as to why it's hard to get service parts to a dealership.

Ā 

Even assuming this is just a small seal problem, These are design/tested in Cold extremes to see if unforeseen design problems show up. I know of assembly line problems where a certain part was inadvertently left out. No particular fail-safe was there to detect it, the completed part made it all the way thru a functional test. The defect was never caught until the vehicle was in service. These thing's happen. What's NOT OK, is when it happens to YOU.

Ā 

I have a Sony TV that the Light block was just replaced in it Wed. 1.5 yrs old $800. Warranty. I once asked a company that just installed a new assembly line in a plant: Cost of the line was $15 Mil. I asked, what was the cost of the warranty on that? I got an answer, $1.5 Mil. So you see, everything has the potential to break, and manufacturers offer warranties, and you ultimately pay for it, because we are all human. Most items are designed for a working life of 10 years in almost every field. IF you want it to last longer than that, you couldn't afford it.

Ā 

Every service department will be glad to work on your problem, that is where they make money, the cost is billed back to Ford. You've already paid for it, when you bought your vehicle.

I have 2008 MKX with about 1300 miles on it so far. I've been noticing a burning smell that seems to be the same as what everyone is describing. It seems to go away after a few minutes but it is quite noticable especially after starting the engine in cold weather. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

I have 2008 MKX with about 1300 miles on it so far. I've been noticing a burning smell that seems to be the same as what everyone is describing. It seems to go away after a few minutes but it is quite noticable especially after starting the engine in cold weather. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Ā 

I have also noticed a strange smell with my 08 AWD Edge. The car has 2300 miles on it, and I've only noticed it 3 or 4 times. Each time has been when I was stopped at a light. Once I get back going the smell goes away.. Next light I'm stuck at, smell is gone - very peculiar. I live in upstate NY and it has been very cold here recently...... I haven't payed enough attention to figure if there's a correlation of smell when the car is cold or has warmed up. I was suprised to stumble upon this post just now, it's not only me! I'll pay a little more attention now!

Other than a lot of speculation, I don't think I ever heard the exact reason, they held shipment up at the original launch date.

Ā 

I had inside info from an employee or two but I can't find the details. But I'm 95% sure there was a part that was delivered out of spec (maybe more than one).

I have a 07 AWD Edge that has 1400 miles on it and we have noticed the burning smell on several occasionsin in the 2 months that we have owned it. Today after starting the car to let it warm up for about 5 min there was a strong burning smell coming from the vents. So I looked under the vehicle and there was few drips of pink fluid in the snow right under where the drive line is. Not too happy about it!

I had to take mine in over the weekend and sadly the temperature went back up to 50 degrees. So whether they can duplicate the problem is hard to tell. Also I am a MKX owner from Cincinnati, OH. I purchased and service my vehicle at Mike Castrucci Ford in Alexanderia Kentucky. Hopefully they can get my car problem identified. Does anyone in this thread have a conclusion reason for this burnt rubber smell?