Post 15B21 leak repair follow up report

• 3 weeks later...
  1. 5/5/15 - Picked up new Edge SEL from dealership
  2. 6/15/15 - Dropped off wet Edge to Griffin Ford in Waukesha Wisconsin for leak repairs
  3. 8/24/15 - Picked up "repaired" Edge
  4. 9/10/15 - Driver side carpet in my "repaired" Edge is soaked
  5. 9/11/15 - I am told that to rectify the situation I need to drop off my Edge to the same dealership that "repaired" it and get another sh!tty rental car for god knows how long. WTF???

I have maintained a calm demeanor through the first 70 day ordeal, but this is seriously ridiculous!

Ford - You need to get me a new vehicle that won't develop mold/mildew that will get my family sick! I feel like my hands are tied since this is a company fleet vehicle, and that Ford is taking advantage of that fact. I am so sick and tired of this issue. Ford, correct it immediately.

Ben

Very interesting as I have not been on the forum in a few months actually. My titanium was built 3 week of January, pre-job 1, as it is an incremental management lease through ford. We just recieved an email notice stating that although I have a 2015 vehicle I usually get one per year, that they will be offering me another 2015 edge or 2016 explorer in a couple weeks as the units that are becoming available are being "reconditioned". I had a "reconditioned" 2013 Escape when they first launched it was reconditioned due to a hail storm at the plant prior to launch and although it was "fixed" it couldn't be sold as a retail unit because of the amount of damage it had. Apparently there were about 5000 of these Escapes In the same situation, we didn't have a choice in the matter frankly it was either get a 2013 Escape or you are out of the incremental lease program for ever......so I got an Escape.

It would be my thought that the "reconditioned" units that the hare offering to me are the "buybacks" that Ford has had to reclaim because of all the mess that the leaking issue has caused....

I don't think that my edge has any leaks, I have 18000 miles on it now and it is still a great vehicle in my opinion. Over the previous model.

I will keep you posted as this proceeds..

Hi guys, I am now part of the 2015 Great Lakes Ford Edge Owners group.

Bought this 2015 Edge Titanium last May, just 1.5k kms on the odometer. Didn't notice the "wetness" of the floor on the drivers side until last week when I tried to clean the rubber mats. Brought it down this morning at our dealer here in Regina, SK and just this noon, after they did the inspection for the FSA, they found out that indeed water is leaking from the A pillar (drivers side). Now they are providing me a rental because they need to do a lot of stuff on the car (3 days of drying it out, didn't say the number of days for them to check the damage). Hopefully they will provide a rental vehicle comparable to my car.

Didn't expect the service to be this fast (I heard a lot of complaints with regards to the service of the dealer) but I guess contacting the Ford rep we have here in the forum did help because Ford itself made arrangements with the dealer themselves. So I guess my advice to you if you find yours leaking, contact first our Ford rep here (one for US, one for Canada) and provide your VIN before bringing it down to the dealership.

Edit: Build date: 26 March 2015.

Edited by Jay-Ar Linsangan
  • Like 2

Nightmare is done for us FINALLY..

New vehicle delivered this afternoon after they spent a few days testing for leaks and anything else they could think of.. Nice to see the Management team there to thank us for being so patient.. After 3 months of this nightmare, 4 rental vehicles from Budget.. It's nice to have OUR truck in the garage tonight.. Just waiting on the compensation from Ford which should be to us early next week.. They've also waved our payments until next month as well which was nice.

Good luck to everyone who's still going through this.. If you need any tips etc feel free to get in touch..

• Like 4

I think I have the beginning of the 15B21 leak unfortunately. I noticed a slight moisture/mold smell when I was checking under the passenger side floor mat (carpet, not all weather). I don't feel any moisture though so I am wondering if it is has been breaching into the cabin slowly and now the humidity here is starting to make it noticeable. Ugh. The last 5 of my VIN are 05723 and the production date of my Edge was 2/2015.

On top of that I had part number FT425851916A (an exterior piece of the black plastic that sits in front of the sliding roof) literally fly off of my Edge when I was on the freeway driving to Texas. I had to pull over and go back to pick it up. It's now sitting in trunk area awaiting a replacement part since it has been on a national back order (clearly an issue as well).

I love the look of my Ford Edge but am EXTREMELY disappointed with the quality and these issues.

Who is the Ford rep to contact here in the forum? Tricia?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased my Edge SEL on 3 July (06354) and when I logged into the Ford Owner site immediately received a notice about the leaking (never had a notice mailed). I was quite upset that I wasn't told by the dealer or fixed prior to pick.

Sales Manager's response was he didn't know why I was upset!! He also said I wasn't entitled to a loaner car during the repair.

The dealership did promptly take the unit in and do the repair. We are in Southern California so I had limited exposure to rain water, but a couple of car washes and never had an issue before or since. I will keep you posted if there is a change.

The service department did a good job responding and taking care of me during the repair (2 days) with a rental car. I think the sales people selling me a car with a known defect, not fixing it before delivery, and then lying to me and saying they didn't know about it is at best unethical and worst is illegal in my mind.

I had previously 'thought' and posted in other threads that my Edge Sport was leak free. I took it in to the dealer 'just in case' immediately after receiving the letter from Ford to be sealed again for good measure.

Well sadly the other day I began to notice a foul odor in the cabin, and sure enough my drivers side footwell etc is somehow soaked. I also have what I think is the beginning of mold growing under my drivers side floormat. So who knows how bad the actual carpet is?? The car smells like dirty gym socks! Needless to say I am pretty upset, as all of us who have been affected are I'm sure.

My wife is pregnant and I have 2 year old that we constantly ferry around, so I am less than thrilled at the prospect of mold etc growing inside a brand new $50k vehicle.

I've contacted Tricia, the Ford rep on this site, and my dealer to see what can be done. In the meantime I have contacted a lawyer as well. For extra fun I have family coming to visit tomorrow for the next week, and now it looks like we will be a vehicle short.

So my advice to anyone who thinks their Edge is sealed 'good and tight' is to be very vigilant. I checked the car constantly by pressing a dry paper towel on the carpets anytime it rained and it was fine for quite a while, until it wasn't!!

It's too bad as I really like the car, but at this point i don't want it anymore. For $50k I could have bought a different car that I enjoy just as much, and can actually be driven in the rain...what a concept![/return

Wooohhhw, wooohhhw....Back the BUS up there Sport! Hope your LAWYER is your brother-in-law or other close relative. Give the people at your dealership and at Ford a day to do their jobs.

My Edge is the oldest one listed here, a 2500 serial number, so built Mid- Feb. Bought end of May, received letter in July, first day I was able to get the car in was mid-Sept. We never had any water inside the car, or moldy smell. I waited the half hour the repair took, then went about my business. Two weeks later we get two inches of rain in 6-8 hours. End up with an inch of water on driver's floor. Take car back, get loaner, second repair takes over half a day. Pick car up that evening, carpet still the slightest bit damp but drying. Two days later the car is in a scattered shower at work. That night the carpets were wet again. I called the service manager and we talked for less than ten minutes, he talked to the body shop manager and the service tech who did both repairs. Body shop manager called me back 1-1/2 hours after I called the service manager and gave me the return vehicle phone number. I called them and within 1-1/2 to 2 hours I had an approved return case number from Ford. EVERYONE I've talked to at my dealership has been very helpful in getting this problem resolved. Especially the body shop manager who stated the case to Ford to get my return approved.

I REALLY doubt dragging a lawyer into the process will accomplish anything but drastically slow down progress and end up costing you a lot of money.

I'd discuss your situation with the responsible people at your dealership, get everybody on the same page and call the return people, they will contact your dealership promptly.

If you have problems establishing communication with your dealer, Tricia can help you with that.

• Like 1

Very disturbing to hear this major problem but luckily the truck is at least safe to drive. Regardless I dont understand how Ford allows such a defect to go un detected at the factory since I assume they do some kind of waterproof test in all trucks. Since my current lease expires next February I was thinking to go for the 2015 Titanium but now I'm thinking if its a good way to go or not

Well, there's TWO FIXES we should all be concerned with. First, the one Ford supposedly implemented in assembly on April 28th and the second is the repairs all the dealerships do to cars manufactured April 28th and before.

And I'd REALLY like to know if anyone with a car made April 29th or later has had leaks. I know for a fact the dealer repairs don't always work, and I am suspect of the plant's supposed fix as well.

As an aside, I REALLY have to laugh at people calling the Edge a "truck". My '96 F-250 4wd diesel is a " truck", my Son's old 2006 F-150 Supercab 4wd FX4 was a "truck", the 1958 F-750 spreader truck I drove the summer of 1973 was a " truck". The 1978 L9000 or 1980 CL9000 tiltcab semi-tractors I drove sometimes were "trucks". The EDGE is a car, or a Crossover, but not a truck. I could agree that the FLEX or the EXPLORER are trucks, but not the Edge.

As an aside, I REALLY have to laugh at people calling the Edge a "truck". My '96 F-250 4wd diesel is a " truck", my Son's old 2006 F-150 Supercab 4wd FX4 was a "truck", the 1958 F-750 spreader truck I drove the summer of 1973 was a " truck". The 1978 L9000 or 1980 CL9000 tiltcab semi-tractors I drove sometimes were "trucks". The EDGE is a car, or a Crossover, but not a truck. I could agree that the FLEX or the EXPLORER are trucks, but not the Edge.

Funny thing you mentioned that because as I was reading through page 2, I started to laugh about this same thing as well :hysterical: Come on folks, Edge is a CROSSOVER that is built on a CAR platform, not truck platform. As for the Explorer, it is kind of borderline between a car and a truck. The earlier Explorer was a SUV, therefore it was built on a TRUCK platform. The current fifth generation Explorer is a full size crossover, and is actually built on a CAR platform.

So unless your ride is an Expedition, Excursion, F-series, older Explorer, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, etc. your ride is a CAR :doh:

Edited by shamrock12

Just an update on my leak saga...Edge Sport is still at the dealership (This being it's 3rd visit to correct the leak!) I dropped it off with them 10/8 and it is still there...My wife was told today they have to order parts and it may take another week or TWO! I have a case open to do a 'good faith' return or something like that, but that process i'm told, also takes up to 15 business days. Meanwhile I am still making payments on a vehicle I effectively can't use.

The dealer today also mentioned that Ford is 're-opening the recall' on these vehicles, but i cannot find any info anywhere on any kind of recall that applies to these cars. Does anyone know about this here?

This will be my first and last Ford.

I took mine in yesterday for the recall. Received a rental courtesy of Fords regional manager in the GTA, Ontario to have my edge titanium inspected for leaks. I personally never noticed/checked for any leaks as vehicle is always kept underground and has only gone through 2 car washes thus far. I was told no leak was located however the " fix" was applied.. Kind of odd to apply a fix to a vehicle that doesn't have an issue..

So when I went to return my rental to Enterprise, the employee who was driving me to the ford dealership told me they just had an edge shipped to them today and when they sat inside, the entire floor was soaking wet. I couldn't help but just laugh. What a mess ford made with a simple manufacturing mishap!!

Edited by hassan.syed

...So when I went to return my rental to Enterprise, the employee who was driving me to the ford dealership told me they just had an edge shipped to them today and when they sat inside, the entire floor was soaking wet. I couldn't help but just laugh. What a mess ford made with a simple manufacturing mishap!!

Hassan; Not good! Is there any way for you to find out when that vehicle was built? It sounds like a heart break for yet another new owner!

Well, supposed to pick up our new '15 Edge SEL replacement Thursday night. Our '15 SEL was a January or very early February build and was picked up late May, never leaked a drop of water, had the recall performed mid-September, got 2 inches of rain one night two weeks later, had inch of water on driver's floor, had car repaired a second time, carpeting was damp after a light shower the next day. Dealer worked hard to get my buy-back approved.

The new Edge has a couple options we couldn't find last spring, like navigation, power lift gate, towing pkg, and remote garage door opener. And it's a September build so shouldn't leak!