New Edge with 20" wheels, ride sucks HELP

ccutaia1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/5/2018 at 1:49 PM, ccutaia1 said:

I just swapped my 20's with 18's, rides like a dream, quiet, and still handles nice. The only thing I am not sure about is do I need to have the dealer change the CPU to reflect the change in tire/rim size? The '20s seemed to be about an inch taller.

I know, question was asked 7 months ago but there was never an answer soooooo....

You can use the FORScan program (freebie) and a decent OBDII code reader to modify the (computer perceived) diameter of your tire.  It's an easy 5 minute task that your dealer would charge an hour of shop time for.  Before doing that though, I'd check the Edge's speedometer reading against a gps to see how far off you are.  If it's only a couple of percent then it's not really worth bothering with. 

the whole idea of larger wheels is that the tire has a shorter sidewall and conversely, the smaller wheels have tires with taller sidewalls.

the overall diameter, and thus the circumference, is the same on all edges from the factory no matter what the wheel size is.

go to https://tiresize.com/calculator/ and plug the old and the new tire/wheel sizes into the tire comparison tab. that will give you the circumference which should be the same. if it's the same then the wheel will rotate the same number of times in a given distance and your odometer and speedometer will be correct.

2 hours ago, ben senise said:

the overall diameter, and thus the circumference, is the same on all edges from the factory no matter what the wheel size is.

When going through ForScan mods and settings, which are based on "As Built Data", you have settings for tire sizes. So each Edge with Factory 21", 20" or 18" will have different "As Built Data". There has to be another effect, not just the speedometer reading.

the ford.ca (i'm in canada) website lists the following sizes for the SEL, SE, Titanium, and ST respectively:

245 60/18

245 55/19

245 50/20

265 40/21

as you can see, there are four different wheel diameters available. They all have a tire diameter of 29.6" except for the ST which has a diameter of 29.3"

the car's dynamics are very much affected by wheel diameter, offset, and tire width. braking for example is much less effective with a larger diameter tire. simple physics and geometry. ABS, traction, stability are all affected by geometry that is different than stock.

it may be true that the internal parameters in the system may have different settings but for the purpose of the OP's question, he does not need to change anything for the new tires if he got tires that are a standard factory size.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came with the Hancook S1 Noble tires (sport, 20's) and they seem pretty loud to me.  I can't say that I have pushed the car that hard, but from past experiences Michelin tires are 99% of the time the best tires.  They will cost more, but they will be quiet, last longer, handle best (especially in rain/snow) and are also usually lighter.  losing 3 pounds per tire makes a huge difference in acceleration, braking, basically handling in general.  I am not ready for tires yet, but I am considering a swap soon anyway just for preference.  I currently plan to go with Michelin Premier LTX... same OD as stock as well.

Edited by Xephiron

The aftermarket tire on my '16 (20" wheels) is the Yokohama Geolander G055 ($180 ea at TireRack).  The Edge rides better on this tire than the Toyota Avalon (running Hankook tires) it replaced.  The Yokohama's are quiet on 'most' road surfaces.  Downside, the reviews aren't great for use in winter/snow conditions.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've

On 3/3/2021 at 12:48 PM, handfiler said:

These are on my radar: The Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II

Very quiet and gets great reviews.

I've decided to replace my tires and have been thinking of these as well (as well as Uniroyal Tiger Paws).

Why don't you buy a set and let me know if they're and good?

..... (heh, heh, heh).

6 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I've

I've decided to replace my tires and have been thinking of these as well (as well as Uniroyal Tiger Paws).

Why don't you buy a set and let me know if they're and good?

..... (heh, heh, heh).

As much as I don't like the factory installed Cross Contact LX Sport tires, they have less than 3,000km of use. So it's not a high priority right now. I just like planning things well in advance. ?

Just ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde's today. Had them match TireRack price -$199/tire. Rebate of $70 + 100 for Ford Credit + one year to pay with no interest).

Also replacing the pressure sender units (keeping the same straps to save money, those little puppies ard expensive (I went with OEM, not Chineese) but I'm getting info screen alerts, and it's over their battery life limit) and 4-wheel alignment. Also having them steel brush the rims and use rim sealer. 

Service manger came out and told me he was running the Scorpion Verdes on his Expedion and loved them. Said on a scale of 1-10 he rated them a 10. 

Put on next week. 

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Just ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde's today. Had them match TireRack price -$199/tire. Rebate of $70 + 100 for Ford Credit + one year to pay with no interest).

Also replacing the pressure sender units (keeping the same straps to save money, those little puppies ard expensive (I went with OEM, not Chineese) but I'm getting info screen alerts, and it's over their battery life limit) and 4-wheel alignment. Also having them steel brush the rims and use rim sealer. 

Service manger came out and told me he was running the Scorpion Verdes on his Expedion and loved them. Said on a scale of 1-10 he rated them a 10. 

Put on next week. 

How old are your tire sensors?  Wondering when this will pop up on my 2014 F150 about ready to get new tires at 52,000.

I have one (think it's just one, but not certain) that pops up three or four times  a year (intermittent) while driving. If I continue to drive, it usually goes out in 1/2 hour. But its obviously nearing the end. 

The sensors are inplanted with ten-year batteries (minimum).

I have an 09 MKX and it started three years ago. Ford garage said they usually run the codes and replace one at a time. (They also offer the Chineese version as most people freak at the cost). 

Talking to the service rep confidentially,  said when one goes, the others follow in a year or two, but not a major repair item. (Reason I decided to have them all replaced with new tires). 

Don't recall MactFordEdge mention he replaced any in half million miles or so, I wouldn't worry about it until one starts to wink out. If it acts like mine, they always come back and turn back on (but act up again).

• 2 weeks later...

IK, had the new Pirelli  Scorpion Verde's put on today and my initial assessment is 10 out of 10!

Quieter and much smoother than the Bridgestone's. Granted the Bridgestone's had 10k on them but they were never this quiet or smooth as these Pirelli's. (I'd give the Bridgestone's an 8.5 out of 10). But there's no question the Pirelli is better. They matched TireRack price, $70 rebate, used Ford Card so I have one year to pay with no interest, also had new pressure senders installed, road hazard warranty ($125 for 4 vs. $200 for one tire and these 20" tires, just scrape a curb and the sidewall blows out - experience talking), and a four-wheel alignment. Also had the tire glued on with rim sealer. (Sick of slow leaks).

Anyway, yes, I strongly recommend the Pirelli  Scorpion Verde's. Excellent tire if you like a quiet, smooth ride.

• Like 1