Ford Edge ST Custom Tune (video in link)

vmaxbaby

Hey Guys,

I know some have talked about getting a tune for the ST and if anyone on here is a Mustang owner than you know all the companies that do the tuning including Livernois.  I just got off the phone with a really nice guy name Scott who knows all about the edge st.  What this means for those of us that want to get a tune we know this company has experience with the ST and we won't be getting a tune that is untested or will screw up our vehicle.   While talking to him he say they have already been tuning ST's for people and he sent me a video of one they just did.  

So the process if you want this done:

You contact them and purchase a tuner.   Once you have the tuner you plug it into your car and get a set of codes that they will need.  From there you go to there website fill out the tunes you want ( 89,91,93 octane) and they send them down to you.  You upload the tune to your tuner from your computer (usb cable) and than take the tuner out to your car plug it in and go through the prompts.   Withing a few minutes you will magically have just picked up =+59 WHP and =+59 WTQ :)

Contact them for more questions and or to start the process I am just relaying what Scott and I talked about. 

Livernois Motorsports & Engineering LLC
2500 South Gulley Road
Dearborn Heights, MI 48125

Phone: (313)-561-5500

See Edge ST on Dyno

Edited by vmaxbaby
  • Like 2

Those are peak gains at a specific rpm point. The maximum gain is 28 HP. If you're comfortable with potentially  forfeiting your warranty for 28 HP go for it. I did that when I supercharged my Mustang and didn't have a problem with it because its not my daily driver.

After reading about mwilson6192's unfortunate situation I'd be reluctant to do any mods on an Edge ST.

Why are so many acting like this engine is such a new thing? The engine is from the sport and f150, the tyranny is the old 6 speed with 2 more gears added, the ptu is really the only new thing.  Modding it will likely be no different than other models, just less gains with tuning.

Also unless I'm missing something? You are gaining alot more in the low to mid end over stock than they are claiming, unless I am really miss reading that dyno graph. 

The top end is a little disappointing though. 

57 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Why are so many acting like this engine is such a new thing? The engine is from the sport and f150, the tyranny is the old 6 speed with 2 more gears added, the ptu is really the only new thing.  Modding it will likely be no different than other models, just less gains with tuning.

Also unless I'm missing something? You are gaining alot more in the low to mid end over stock than they are claiming, unless I am really miss reading that dyno graph. 

The top end is a little disappointing though. 

Some people who did not buy the vehicle seem to be more disappointed, than the people who purchased the vehicle. The majority of the users on the forum who bought the vehicle myself included are happy with it. One user has some leaks from the engine, and the dealer is taken a while to fix the vehicle. I guess because one vehicle had an issue, the user thinks we should be worried about getting it tuned.  The gains from the tune look good and should be felt.

Edited by blitz118

2 minutes ago, blitz118 said:

I guess because one vehicle had an issue, the user thinks we should be worried about getting it tuned.  The gains from the tune look good and should be felt.

I'm not worried about what anyone does with their Edge ST. I'm just here to learn about this vehicle and opine from time to time.

1 hour ago, handfiler said:

After reading about mwilson6192's unfortunate situation I'd be reluctant to do any mods on an Edge ST.

18 minutes ago, handfiler said:

I'm not worried about what anyone does with their Edge ST. I'm just here to learn about this vehicle and opine from time to time.

So because one user mwilson6192's is having issues with his, you think the ST is not tune able? The vehicle in the video seems to be running fine.

43 minutes ago, Perblue said:

I've seen a few who seem to be unsure of molding or tuning a st. 

I'm still waiting on a vin and build date for mine and will likely do it after a year or 2.

I don't remember seeing any of those posts from ST owners.  There aren't many ST owners on the site anyway.  I guess you'll be getting yours sometime next year. I couldn't deal with all the waiting and just picked one up off the lot. 

I'd have to go reread some posts but it's not that big of a deal I just thought I was missing something that would make it any different than a sport. 

The wait sucks lol. But my wife really wanted the rear entertainment package, which is not a common option for a dealer to order in and I really wanted the blue. No dealer around had a st on order even so in went the order. Dealer thought it would be January but I won't be surprised if it's March. 

31 minutes ago, Perblue said:

I'd have to go reread some posts but it's not that big of a deal I just thought I was missing something that would make it any different than a sport. 

The wait sucks lol. But my wife really wanted the rear entertainment package, which is not a common option for a dealer to order in and I really wanted the blue. No dealer around had a st on order even so in went the order. Dealer thought it would be January but I won't be surprised if it's March. 

ECU tuning looks no different than a Sport as the video shows. Good luck with the wait.

I am curious if the reported shifting sluggishness has been improved with this tune.

It does mention the following;

This tune is good for peak vs. peak gains of over 28WHP and 25WTQ, with maximum gains of over 59WHP and 59WTQ! In addition to these performance enhancements, we also spent a great deal of time improving throttle response, part throttle shifting, and working to ensure our updates play well in all 3 driving modes. Coupled with the performance upgrade, these drivability changes make the truck feel greatly improved in day to day usage.

After looking at the dyno charts something does not make sense! Based to the numbers on each chart the 2016 peaked at 91+ hp and 171+ lbs TQ.While the ST only gained 27+hp and 24+lbs tq.Even if you take into account that the ST came from the factory with 20 more hp and 30 more lbs tq (the factory gain was probably  gained by tuning)the 2016 gained 44 more hp and 117 lbs tq than the ST after both had been tuned. Other factors can come into play but 117 lbs of tq. No Way! 

2 hours ago, eddie368 said:

After looking at the dyno charts something does not make sense! Based to the numbers on each chart the 2016 peaked at 91+ hp and 171+ lbs TQ.While the ST only gained 27+hp and 24+lbs tq.Even if you take into account that the ST came from the factory with 20 more hp and 30 more lbs tq (the factory gain was probably  gained by tuning)the 2016 gained 44 more hp and 117 lbs tq than the ST after both had been tuned. Other factors can come into play but 117 lbs of tq. No Way! 

I have to agree with you, and something is not right with the 2016 dyno graph. How can it pick so much horsepower and torque with just a tune? Those numbers are not realistic.

They also stated on their YouTube page that this is just their first attempt:

"And this is just version 1. As with all of our timing things will get better with time as well!"

I think that 2016 tune graph was not to a stock car, and was definitely not using the first tune available for the car.

11 hours ago, omar302 said:

So I looked at the 2016 Edge Sport Livernois Tune from this video and from screenshots of the HP & TQ graphs I put them side to side for easy comparison. For now, it seems the Sport is better tuned:

1384195623_2019EdgeSTvs2016EdgeSport.thumb.jpg.53e74e6de0946701501bd4f0b5d564a1.jpg

The 2015-2018 Edge Sport dyno graph on their website shows a different version with less outputs. Draw your own conclusions...;)

We wanted to jump in here to clear up some questions. Moderators, we did reach out about possibly being a vendor, but for the time being we know there are questions that need answers, so please allow this post.

There are really 3 reasons behind the power differences, and gain differences in the 2 different generations of these suv's:

#1, this is tune version 1. If you rewind time to 2015 when we released the Edge Sport tune, it was substantially lower than today. Albeit, the gains were higher, but they also made less power stock vs stock as well

#2, which really ties in with #1, while the engine is the same, the engine management is completely different from that of the 15-17 version. So there is a learning curve there that we are creeping up on, making certain we are gaining good power, but also not getting so far out there that issues may crop up due to too much being changed vs stock before ensuring proper development and testing time. 

#3, it's a new trans, without much info or track record. The 6-speed in the Sport had been around for 8+ years at that point, this is the first application of this transmission, so we aren't going to step hard on the engine, to find out the trans can't take it.

Those cover the "why" questions on the difference between the Sport, and the ST

Now, as to the Sport and it's gains. Yeah, it was just a tune. We had not yet released our thermostat even when that video was made for the first Sport, so there were definitely no parts available. Heck, even today, there are almost no parts available beyond our tuner and thermostat on the Sport. So it really is all tune there. But don't worry, we will continue to improve the calibrations, and our customer's gain access to these future updates at no additional cost as well!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1