21" Winter Tires

JCrew7384

OK, first I am not affiliated with this company, just happened to find them & used their summer tire and found it good. It is not a known brand, but being made the Netherlands should be good. They also have a winter tire in 21".

https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/0/Ford/Edge/2016/Sport/3-8714692339684/0/0/911-wintrac-xtreme-s

• 3 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 1:33 PM, JCrew7384 said:

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions on winter tires for a new Edge ST with the 21" wheels? I don't see many if any options available online for a winter tire that size.

I don’t understand why you would want to install winter tires, then in the spring remove them , and reinstall your summer tires. 

Get some smaller ‘winter wheels/tires’ so you don’t have that hassle, plus rebalance, and possible/probable damage to the wheels. I would never go through that BS.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 8:58 AM, JCrew7384 said:

What size wheels/tires can I go to if I replace the entire package? Does that throw off any of the AWD functionality?

You might find that it is cheaper to buy wheels + tires than just tires at that size. I got some new 18" wheels + tires to swap for my 22" wheels on my 2011 sport and it was actually $250 cheaper than just buying the 22" tires. I used tirerack and they came mounted and balanced with new TPM sensors and all. 

2 hours ago, JCrew7384 said:

How do I know what size "wheel" and tire is compatible if I go smaller?

You’re usually safe with the OEM sizes but the ST brake rotors might require larger wheels.  Base ST is 245/50R20 without the brake package so that would be safe and would have a lot more options.   You might be able to get away with 245/60R18s like the SE but you’d need to double check brake clearance.

39 minutes ago, akirby said:

You’re usually safe with the OEM sizes but the ST brake rotors might require larger wheels.  Base ST is 245/50R20 without the brake package so that would be safe and would have a lot more options.   You might be able to get away with 245/60R18s like the SE but you’d need to double check brake clearance.

ST with regular brakes is good with the OEM SE rims & tire size. Picture posted in an earlier response on this thread. Been running on them all winter with no issues.

17 hours ago, ONEDGE16 said:

ST with regular brakes is good with the OEM SE rims & tire size. Picture posted in an earlier response on this thread. Been running on them all winter with no issues.

Upgraded brakes are same size with identical calipers so either way they should work fine.