Heated seat(s) issue, anyone else?

MrHappy

So my wife and I have noticed on several occasions now the heated seats don't always activate.  By that I mean the button lights are on but the seat doesn't warm up.  I've tried finding common denominators (were the seats left on from previous use, was the car remote started/app started or just started normally, etc) and nothing there.  One thing I did find was that if I press the cooled seats button then press the heated seat button they always activate.  It's both front seats so it's unlikely it's a button issue, wondering if it's some kind of software glitch? Anyone else in the cold notice this on theirs by chance? Otherwise, loving the vehicle so far!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi MrHappy.  I am wondering if you were able to determine the cause of the sporadic issue with your heated seats.  My wife's ST started exhibiting problems but it was limited to the drivers (left) seat. 

From our experience, the left seat got almost overly hot in even the lower settings.  Then on Friday my wife said the seat was not heating any more.  I looked to see if switching the heat button on/off or even switching the seat coolers on would allow it to start working....it did not.  I also looked under the seat to see if maybe a connector got unplugged but all looked to be secure.  The "heat" indicator lights on the dash still come on/respond to the button, the seat cooler still functions, and the right seat still heats just fine. 

Hoping you found a cause/solution that will allow me to either fix or help the dealer in diagnosing.

Thanks!

I wanted to provide an update on the seat heat issue we are experiencing with our 2019 ST.  To recap our situation;

Our drivers seat worked for about 90 days but we noticed it seemed to get almost too warm (at least warmer than our previous Sport and warmer than the passenger seat).  At one point it started working sporadically, then it quit working completely.  The display light on the dash still worked, the passenger and rear seat heaters still worked.

I brought ours in to the dealer for assessment and they found the heating element in the seat back portion had a higher level of resistance.  They believe this is what caused the seat cushion to get overly warm and ultimately caused the system to quite working.  One of the replacement parts (if I understood correctly, the heating element for the seat back) is on back order so at this point we are awaiting parts arrival and final repair.  Once complete, I will provide another update for the group.

Hope this info helps others!

3 hours ago, 65SDAK said:

I brought ours in to the dealer for assessment and they found the heating element in the seat back portion had a higher level of resistance.  They believe this is what caused the seat cushion to get overly warm and ultimately caused the system to quite working.  One of the replacement parts (if I understood correctly, the heating element for the seat back) is on back order so at this point we are awaiting parts arrival and final repair.  Once complete, I will provide another update for the group.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is my issue

2 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Does anyone's steering wheel seem to get too warm also? Mine almost burns me at the joints where the different materials meet. 

Yes the steering wheels get hot. Apparently It happens in other models too.

8 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Does anyone's steering wheel seem to get too warm also? Mine almost burns me at the joints where the different materials meet. 

Strange, mine does not get warm enough to almost burn anything.  It is warm at best and cold in certain sections near the spokes.  The stitching seems to be colder than the rest also. 

Feel the top section that seems to be the hottest. 

Unfortunately my edge decided to work today so nothing got resolved. One thing they are investigating and have a call into ford engineers is for the adaptive led headlights. I noticed mine actually doesn't do the test on start up and don't actually move, even though I initially thought they might but subtlely, so had them check it out while they had it also. They are waiting to hear back if these are actually made with them or not even though it is still listed online, in the owners manual and in the order guide at the dealer that was updated a few days ago. So I take that as I currently don't have it and if it's supposed to wonder what they will do to fix it. 

11 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Very hot. Although the temp seems to vary around the steering wheel. I'll move my hands to the bottom if the top is too cold.

Used FORScan to auto-timeout after 10min (so every start-up, wheel is heating for 10 min, then off). The max. temp can be adjusted with FORScan too.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:33 PM, bobyellow said:

Very hot. Although the temp seems to vary around the steering wheel. I'll move my hands to the bottom if the top is too cold.

Used FORScan to auto-timeout after 10min (so every start-up, wheel is heating for 10 min, then off). The max. temp can be adjusted with FORScan too.

Do you have information about the changes you made in FORScan to do this? I just took delivery of an ST on Wednesday. been remote starting the car because of the cold this week. I noticed that after 10 minutes of driving the top of the wheel is so hot its almost untouchable.

For my heated seat. I feel like with remote start and turning the engine on, the lights are on but it takes FOREVER to heat up. If I cycle through the heated seat options, it appears to heat much more quickly.

"For my heated seat. I feel like with remote start and turning the engine on, the lights are on but it takes FOREVER to heat up. If I cycle through the heated seat options, it appears to heat much more quickly."

We noticed that as well.  Usually just turn them off when we turn the car off and if remote started turn them off first thing, wait a second then turn them back on and they work ok.  Odd glitch.

5 hours ago, JCrew7384 said:

Do you have information about the changes you made in FORScan to do this? I just took delivery of an ST on Wednesday. been remote starting the car because of the cold this week. I noticed that after 10 minutes of driving the top of the wheel is so hot its almost untouchable.

For my heated seat. I feel like with remote start and turning the engine on, the lights are on but it takes FOREVER to heat up. If I cycle through the heated seat options, it appears to heat much more quickly.

Timeouts for Heated Steering Wheel

HSWM

714-01-01

*xxx xxxx xx

HSWM is Heated Steering Wheel Module. Replace the asterisk with one of the following:

1=Timeout disabled, 8=5 mins, 9=10 mins, A=12 mins, B=15 mins, C=18 mins, D=20 mins, E=25 mins, F=30 mins

Pulled from this spreadsheet (for SuperDuty but they have similar modules) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qf2gYgkhmsX-dnFO3Ki0nYUvr7aeLKsHsA0WxhDns1s/edit#gid=0

Note: although the Temp times out... the indicator on Sync shows 'RED' (on). Cycle the button if you need another 5 (or 10) min. Always on for any start if I leave the Sync button 'Red'. Summer time: will turn off via Sync so no worries.

Edited by bobyellow
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed on my ST, when remote starting only driver seat and steering wheel heat comes on. Passenger seat stays off. Remote start settings are set to auto, so not sure why?

For the steering wheel, it did get very hot the first few times I put it on but the last couple of days seems to be OK. Checked with Forscan and HSW temp is set to 94° F.

Edited by ONEDGE16

3 hours ago, ONEDGE16 said:

I noticed on my ST, when remote starting only driver seat and steering wheel heat comes on. Passenger seat stays off. Remote start settings are set to auto, so not sure why?

For the steering wheel, it did get very hot the first few times I put it on but the last couple of days seems to be OK. Checked with Forscan and HSW temp is set to 94° F.

My passenger one turns on if the passenger is getting in the vehicle when I press the start button on the dash, after a remote start or if they are in the seat, I assume because the door is open or opened that it thinks someone is there. 

Good morning.  Sorry for the delayed update on

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:21 AM, 65SDAK said:

I wanted to provide an update on the seat heat issue we are experiencing with our 2019 ST.  To recap our situation;

Our drivers seat worked for about 90 days but we noticed it seemed to get almost too warm (at least warmer than our previous Sport and warmer than the passenger seat).  At one point it started working sporadically, then it quit working completely.  The display light on the dash still worked, the passenger and rear seat heaters still worked.

Good morning and sorry for the delayed update.  Back ordered parts arrived a week or so ago but could not find time to get the ST in for the repair until a few days ago...plus the weather has been awful and my wife did not want to drive my RWD car when the roads were a slippery mess.  Anyway, the seat repair is complete and my wife indicated the heater is working great so far.  In looking at the final repair order document, I am not so sure the heating element was the culprit as the description references the cooling fan assembly.  Regardless, it is working and if it would help someone else to see a copy of the repair doc, I would be glad to try to scan and upload.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

My driver's side heated seat sometimes sets itself to high despite the dashboard light 'remembering' my low setting.

I've noticed this happens following a remote start, but only after I've arrived at a destination and turn the vehicle off.  Following a subsequent (manual) restart, the dashboard indicator remembers the low setting, but five minutes later the seat often gets so hot that I have to turn it off.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:25 AM, 65SDAK said:

Good morning.  Sorry for the delayed update on

Good morning and sorry for the delayed update.  Back ordered parts arrived a week or so ago but could not find time to get the ST in for the repair until a few days ago...plus the weather has been awful and my wife did not want to drive my RWD car when the roads were a slippery mess.  Anyway, the seat repair is complete and my wife indicated the heater is working great so far.  In looking at the final repair order document, I am not so sure the heating element was the culprit as the description references the cooling fan assembly.  Regardless, it is working and if it would help someone else to see a copy of the repair doc, I would be glad to try to scan and upload.  Thanks!

It's the same assembly.  One part contains the heater/cooler peltier device (TED or TEC), the fan and the ducting.     

It looks like this.

80-p1040876_34b0bef89be65aeb0b99b4ad572e

Edited by IWRBB

found this on NHTSA site:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/FORD/EDGE/SUV/AWD#manufacturerCommunications

NHTSA ID Number: 10155571

Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 47814

Summary

Some 2016-2019 Explorer, 2016-2018 MKX, 2019 Edge/Nautilus, 2017-2019 Fusion/MKZ, and 2018-2019 F-150/Mustang/Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with climate controlled seats may exhibit a buzzing noise from the front seats, front seats too warm, and/or inoperative climate controlled front seats. DTCs B14BA:13, B1154:4B, and/or B14B9:13 may also be present. This may be due to loose terminal pin fit on the driver seat module (DSM) connector C341D (16 pin). If a loose terminal pin fit condition is found during normal diagnostics per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10, a new service pigtail connector (part number 3U2Z-14S411-BRAB) is available. Refer to Wiring Diagram, Cell 119 to make sure C341D is a 16 pin connector and not a 20 pin connector. Refer to Wiring Diagram, Cell 5 for the recommended splicing procedures.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, boosted edge said:

Do everyone's front seats heat the lower back ( lumbar area) on their cars? 

Ours only heats the upper portion of the back area (shoulder blade), and the actual sitting surface.  My dealer says this is normal. I do not think this is correct!

Mine heats the lumbar area just fine.