Conventional Oil change

flymore

Bought a CPO Edge over the weekend and enjoying it.

Two problems,

1st,

Noticed a windshield a sticker that said Valvoline conventional oil change about 3000 miles ago.

Manual says, "Recommended motor oil (U.S.):  Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil  XO-5W20-QSP"

So whoever had this vehicle before me used conventional oil! ?

2nd,

After the test drive noticed the oil percentage down to 39% so asked about an oil change at the dealer... salesman said, "oh they just didn't reset it".  Really!

Picked the car up a day, they were going to reset it... now reads 37%, so they didn't reset it.

The oil looks clean, but the oil monitor now reads 36%.

I'm thinking I'll change it when it gets down to 10%.

What kind of damage was done to this engine running conventional motor oil through it the first 28,000 miles?

I'm intending on keeping the vehicle.

Thanks

Edited by flymore

If the oil was changed frequently, and it met the API SN spec, should be fine.

I would have the oil changed immediately to full synthetic, and the IOLM set to 100% if you intend to rely upon it.  It seems paradoxical to let the IOLM run down based on someone else's assertion about the oil change, and you intention to be a longterm owner of the vehicle.  Such a small cost for peace of mind.

I assume you have the 3.5L engine in your Edge, since 5W20 is being used?

18 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

If the oil was changed frequently, and it met the API SN spec, should be fine.

I would have the oil changed immediately to full synthetic, and the IOLM set to 100% if you intend to rely upon it.  It seems paradoxical to let the IOLM run down based on someone else's assertion about the oil change, and you intention to be a longterm owner of the vehicle.  Such a small cost for peace of mind.

I assume you have the 3.5L engine in your Edge, since 5W20 is being used?

I can only hope the oil was changed "frequently" up till now. Hence the risk of purchasing a used car.

The oil looks clean right now, so it appears it was changed at the dealer and they didn't reset the OLM.

I''ve always used the OLM in my previous cars, so why not use it now?

Yes, 3.5L.

9 minutes ago, SUV-E said:

Ask the dealer what oil they put in it. If you are ok with it, then fine. Personally, I would change it and put in full synthetic, and consider the dealer change a good flush of the system. 

Yea, that's what I'm planning on doing.

Main concern is how the conventional oil may have caused wear inside the engine when Synthetic Blend is recommended by ford and GM and it may sound like this someday,

Thanks

I think you are ok.

My 2009 3.5L Edge says to use the Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic but has a note on it that reads " Use of synthetic or semi-synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory.  Engine oil need only meet the requirement of Ford Specification WSS-M2C930-A and the API Certification mark."

My 2016 3.5L Edge spec says to use Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic as well and says it must meet spec WSS-M2C945-A.  See the following links.  What I gather is the conventional oils meet this spec.  The second link is the spec sheet for Valvoline 5W-20 conventional motor oil.  It says it meets WSS-M2C945-A.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2604859

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Document/18452/a2457451-fe75-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3/bab4d631-93bb-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

** Note - I bought my 2009 used in 2010 with 65,000 miles on it.  It was a fleet vehicle for a business salesman (reason for the high mileage).  He had all the records and took it to a Valvoline quickie lube shop to have the oil changed.  I bet they used the cheapest Valvoline 5W-20 conventional for the first 65,000 miles.  When I got it, I have only used the 5W-20 Motorcraft Semi-Sythetic oil (it's pretty cheap at Wally World).  I now have 225,000 miles and it doesn't burn any oil.  I wouldn't worry.

Edited by evh
  • Like 1

Yes, the WSS-M2C945-A is in my owners manual as well. So I think I'm ok too "fingers crossed" and I'll go full synthetic going forward.

I'll save that valvoline link in case there's some question for warranty.

It's not so much the burning of oil I'm concerned about, it's the wearing of those chain guides.

When do you guys change oil? I've always used OLM in my GM cars.

The GM dealer recommended changing the oil when the OLM gets down to around 10% and that's what I always did in my GM 3.6L.

But the Ford dealer said they changed the oil and it's clean so I think they did, but didn't reset the OLM. Who doesn't do that!

Edited by flymore

19 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

The spec number differences are for two different viscosities of oils - 945 is 5w20, 946 is 5w30.  Does not intimate higher quality.

Yea but the 946 is for the 2.0 and 2.7 litre not the 3.5 litre. Correct?

I have the 3.5L so I must use the 5w20 not the 5w30.

Correct?

thanks

I'd like to use 5w30, have some Mobil 1 left over from my Chevy 3.6l I'll probable sell to my buddy or use it in the wife's car.

Funny thing, the Ford 3.5L uses the same oil filter as my Chevy 3.6L used, so those two extra oil filters I have are good!

Edited by flymore

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

If you live in a hot area of Texas, Arizona, Florida etc.  you could probably use the 5W30 without detriment.  But 5W20 full synthetic usually does well in non-extreme climates.

Hahaha no, Tuesday morning was 6 degrees...not wind chill. Normal temperatures should be in the 40's here in Ohio.  Oh well. The climate changes 4 times a year here!

No, I won't be changing the oil till it gets into the low 50's and I'll use 5w20 full synthetic.

I'm not in a hurry, the oil looks clean. I think(hope) the Valvoline sticker was from the oil change before the dealer got it and did the CPO inspection.

So the dealer didn't take the Valvoline sticker off the wind-shield and reset the OLM after they changed the oil!  HAHAHAHA

The miles on the Valvoline sticker was 3000 miles before the mileage was when I bought it. The oil that's in it doesn't have 3000 miles on it, way to clean.

Oh well, we like the vehicle and think we got a good deal.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:00 PM, flymore said:

I can only hope the oil was changed "frequently" up till now. Hence the risk of purchasing a used car.

The oil looks clean right now, so it appears it was changed at the dealer and they didn't reset the OLM.

I''ve always used the OLM in my previous cars, so why not use it now?

Yes, 3.5L.

When I recently bought my wife's 2015 Mustang from a private individual, CarFax did not show all the oil changes, so I waited for the seller to get copies of the service record from Bill Collins Ford, and only after confirmation that its service record was good did I make my decision to purchase - with all the electronic records etc. these days it reduces the risk buying used.

Below is my Sport's records showing my DIY and the Dealership services.

1778709930_ScreenShot2019-03-08at10_06_46PM.thumb.jpg.0f080e29a893f37bb50f0f466e1403f2.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Guess I’m an old school change every 3K miles person.  I’ve had the Edge since 17K, now 62K, and always used conventional (gasp, engine abuse) at various Ford dealers (!) and Firestone shops.

So stay tuned for me reporting the motor blew up or the synthetic police have found me...  I just can’t see that this engine, as lightly used as it is, will be harmed with up to date conventional oils changed out that often.

Edited by 14AWD3.5
Typo