Hood Rattle / Bounce on Highway

SmittyST

I’ve noticed while driving on the highway that my hood seems to flutter up and down when it catches the wind.  Has anyone else had this issue?  It seems to be more prevalent on the driver side.  If the highway has enough bumps you can actually see the hood bounce and rattle around.  I’ve checked to make sure it is latched correctly and it looks fine it that sense.

• Like 1

I have on my 2016. Had on my previous 2011 MKX & 2008 Taurus. It's a Ford trademark ?. To reduce it, like what @Fingernip stated above. If it still shakes, from my experience, it is because the hood is not seating properly at the back, on the weatherstripping at the cowl. But there is no adjustment on that end so I try to bend the hood slightly from the middle so it seats better to the cowl area. With the hood open I just pull back the hood from the rear middle with two hands. It helped a lot in reducing the shaking.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/29/2019 at 5:12 PM, SmittyST said:

I’ve noticed while driving on the highway that my hood seems to flutter up and down when it catches the wind.  Has anyone else had this issue?  It seems to be more prevalent on the driver side.  If the highway has enough bumps you can actually see the hood bounce and rattle around.  I’ve checked to make sure it is latched correctly and it looks fine it that sense.

Mine Too. Kind of scary to see this, is it safe?

Just today I find that SSSM 49931 was issued by Ford to address this issue for 2015-2021 model years. 

Summary
Some 2015-2021 Edge, 2016-2018 MKX and 2019-2021 Nautilus vehicles may exhibit a hood bounce or flutter condition at high speeds. This may be due to an incorrect adjustment of the rubber bump stops. To correct this condition, make sure the rubber bump stops are in contact with the inner hood sheet metal. Using a piece of paper between the hood and the rubber hood stop, make sure the paper fits snug with hood closed. For claiming, use causal part number 16612 and applicable labor times from Section 12 of the Service Labor Times Standard (SLTS) Manual.

I also just realized that I was not adjusting the bumper stops (this) to try to stop the shake.

Source.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

During Covid in 2019 , my son and i were driving to the coast through NC and there is a section of country road miles long and straight as an arrow, anyway, he was driving his X5 BMW twin turbo v8 and I was doing 130mph trying to keep up with him. My hood looked like a NASCAR car hood. It was wrinkling and bending etc. I don't know how much more the car had in it , but I still had plenty of pedal left.

• 1 year later...

Last fall I picked up a '20 Edge and I like it a lot. I've notice that over rough roads or buffeting winds it looks like the hood is loose and bouncing around. I've checked the latch, bump stops and hinges and everything appears to be tight. Is this something common the Edge?

The hood bouncing symptom generated much beneficial discussion in Hood Rattle on Highway, originated by @SmittyST.

Forum member @omar302 discovered Special Service Message 49931, issued by Ford to dealership Service personnel on July 5, 2021...

SSM 49931   2015-2021 Edge, 2016-2018 MKX, 2019-2021 Nautilus - Hood Bounce Or Flutter At High Speeds

Some 2015-2021 Edge, 2016-2018 MKX and 2019-2021 Nautilus vehicles may exhibit a hood bounce or flutter condition at high speeds. This may be due to an incorrect adjustment of the rubber bump stops. To correct this condition, make sure the rubber bump stops are in contact with the inner hood sheet metal. Using a piece of paper between the hood and the rubber hood stop, make sure the paper fits snug with hood closed. For claiming, use causal part number 16612 and applicable labor times from Section 12 of the Service Labor Times Standard (SLTS) Manual.

Per Special Service Message 49931's advice, try placing a strip of paper across each hood bump stop, leading each paper strip forward, to where you can pull on the paper once the hood is fully latched, just to ensure the hood is bearing load upon both bump stops.

HoodBumpStopsAdjustment-2020EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.3a7e4f3486d31cbb6f35ed6c1becd2cd.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

My 2019 was missing the bumper on the drivers side when I bought it. I figured that is why mine flapped a lot with extreme side or from the front winds included with going 80 mph (have hit 50 mph sustained winds for long drives across New Mexico).

52727844266_d6f9a7536e_o.jpg

The one on the hood was not in place, it was lose and sitting in the tray it should contact.

But I bought a new hood bumper and tested its fit with those details, and still same thing. I think the slot the bumper sits in is bad, the new bumper falls out, but that should affect it with the hood shut and it properly adjusted.

• Like 1

When I bought my 19 the hood would shake noticeably at highway speed and around town over bumps.  After adjusting it is better but it still will do this to my eye even at max adjustment of these bumpers.  I have looked at the clearance on the hood closure and the fitment - it appears that on mine - adjusting the hood hinges won't be possible without messing something else up - so I have got what I have got.  Mine is better after tweaking - but probably won't ever be fully solid.

• Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to Hood Rattle / Bounce on Highway