ST Wheel Lug Nut Suggestion

Sage

I am posting this for those, like me, that have a breaker bar with socket in my ST just in case I have to change a tire.  The reason for the breaker bar, the TQ spec is 162 ft lbs.  The owners manual states that after changing a tire, the lugs need to be tq to 162 ft lbs within 100 miles.  The provided lug wrench is not likely to come close to that tq setting on the road.

This  is just what I found on my ST.  It seems the 13/16 socket is the correct size for my wheel lug nuts(I say this for my 21” wheels as who knows with quality control from one to another ST).  When trying each size above and below, this is the size, but it is a Really tight fit.  I have to leave the lug nut on a few threads and work the socket to get it off.  I have tried different sockets with the same issue.  I have the Ford wheel lock set and the 13/16 nor any other socket will properly fit the locking lug the correct way.

I found that a 21mm is a perfect fit for the lug locking adapter and works well on the stock lugs.  I have both the 13/16 socket and the 21mm to ensure I have it covered.  Suggest that you check out to ensure the stock or whatever setup you have will work as expected before needed on the road.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A -  I had many questions on the "correct lug nut size" for my wheel rims with 19" Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 (245/55R19) and, 18" Michelin Latitude X Ice (245/60R18) winter tires. I want to get a Wheel Lock Set (M14x1.5) and the McGARD (who makes the more expensive "Ford" set) seems to fit the bill with the McGARD - 24215. Yet, there are a few conflicting comments on those. Does anyone use/recommend these or, use any other set?

B - That subject led to questions on proper torquing. I couldn't loosen the lug nuts with my 4-way cross lug wrench! The manual page 339 says torquing is 162 ft/lbs; why?  What are you supposed to do with a flat when you're out in a remote area and you can't remove the wheel - call a $200 tow service?  After talking to my mechanic neightbour, I bought a 24" breaker bar and a 24" torque bar luckily on sale at Canadian Tire; both of which will go in the trunk for emergencies. Both tools worked like a charm. The neighbour suggested ~100-125 ft/lbs torquing should be fine; more than that would possibly damage the rim seating and/or the lugs. Am I on the right track? Please, any comments and recommendations appreciated.

I torqued our previous 5 Ford Explorers by hand, double-checked them a few days later and never encountered any problems.

C - ...and don't get me started on the embarrassingly PUNY EDGE single horn and the "missing" Edge engine cover. Is this what we get for a $50,000 (Canadian $) list price Edge?  My Explorers never suffered from this "new" Ford "the customer wont notice" policy... I'm afraid to look to see what else is missing.

5 minutes ago, FEdgeTitanium20Ron said:

The manual page 339 says torquing is 162 ft/lbs; why?  What are you supposed to do with a flat when you're out in a remote area and you can't remove the wheel - call a $200 tow service?  After talking to my mechanic neightbour, I bought a 24" breaker bar and a 24" torque bar luckily on sale at Canadian Tire; both of which will go in the trunk for emergencies. Both tools worked like a charm. The neighbour suggested ~100-125 ft/lbs torquing should be fine; more than that would possibly damage the rim seating and/or the lugs. Am I on the right track? Please, any comments and recommendations appreciated.

The stud size was  increased to 14mm from 1/2" on the 2015 up Edges. I would trust the manual and the Ford engineers over the advice of your neighbour.

3 hours ago, FEdgeTitanium20Ron said:

C - ...and don't get me started on the embarrassingly PUNY EDGE single horn and the "missing" Edge engine cover. Is this what we get for a $50,000 (Canadian $) list price Edge?... I'm afraid to look to see what else is missing.

Yep. For $50K (Canadian), you get a fully loaded Edge minus 4 things: 

1° No engine cover

2° One missing horn

3° No under hood insulation

4° No more storage cubby lower left of the dash (Instead, they put a door to access the fuse panel)

I added all these "missing" features myself except for the engine cover (but I might add it later).

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, FEdgeTitanium20Ron said:

C - ...and don't get me started on the embarrassingly PUNY EDGE single horn and the "missing" Edge engine cover. Is this what we get for a $50,000 (Canadian $) list price Edge?  My Explorers never suffered from this "new" Ford "the customer wont notice" policy... I'm afraid to look to see what else is missing.

Happy I have a 2018 build 2019 model. Still have the engine cover, top dash door and even the CD player. the 2021 gets that big ole screen big gives up the bottom console door where the charging pad is, spare tire even without the performance brakes as well as all the manual climate control buttons. 

45 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Happy I have a 2018 build 2019 model. Still have the engine cover, top dash door and even the CD player. the 2021 gets that big ole screen big gives up the bottom console door where the charging pad is, spare tire even without the performance brakes as well as all the manual climate control buttons. 

So no more charging pad on 2021's? ...and about the top of the dash door... what about it? :headscratch:

Claude.

59 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

So no more charging pad on 2021's? ...and about the top of the dash door... what about it? :headscratch:

Claude.

It still has the pad just no door to close it off. They stopped adding the door above the screen in 2020. The dash looks weird with a random dent there and it loses that hidden storage functionality 

Edited by Fingernip

22 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

It still has the pad just no door to close it off. They stopped adding the door above the screen in 2020. The dash looks weird with a random dent there and it loses that hidden storage functionality 

Oh...ok I didn't know because I did not happen to see the "random dent" in a 2020 dash... (Mine's a '19 and has the door + the little upgrades I did myself which I listed earlier).

Thanks,

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U

7 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Oh...ok I didn't know because I did not happen to see the "random dent" in a 2020 dash... (Mine's a '19 and has the door + the little upgrades I did myself which I listed earlier).

Thanks,

Claude.

I had to see what it looks like without the drawer. The charging pad is still offered in the 2021 model as per the order guide.

image.png.4fcf468c42be3069c4736237e541a9d1.png

On 11/30/2020 at 7:59 PM, 2FAST4U said:

Yep. For $50K (Canadian), you get a fully loaded Edge minus 4 things: 

1° No engine cover

2° One missing horn

3° No under hood insulation

4° No more storage cubby lower left of the dash (Instead, they put a door to access the fuse panel)

I added all these "missing" features myself except for the engine cover (but I might add it later).

Claude.

Claude - on #4 above, what did you do, find one from a previous year?  I looked and it seemed cost prohibitive ($100+)

Thanks - Deron

"I want to get a Wheel Lock Set (M14x1.5) and the McGARD (who makes the more expensive "Ford" set) seems to fit the bill with the McGARD - 24215. Yet, there are a few conflicting comments on those. Does anyone use/recommend these or, use any other set?"

NEW:  Thanks to those who responded.  Still haven't solved the Lock Nut Set problem - will ask Dealer again what they recommend...

12 hours ago, txaggie said:

Claude - on #4 above, what did you do, find one from a previous year?  I looked and it seemed cost prohibitive ($100+)

Thanks - Deron

It came from my previous '16 Titanium. I swapped the drawer from the '16 with the door from my new '19. Luckily for me, both had the black interior! :yahoo:

and

12 hours ago, omar302 said:

I had to see what it looks like without the drawer. The charging pad is still offered in the 2021 model as per the order guide.

image.png.4fcf468c42be3069c4736237e541a9d1.png

Thanks "omar302" for the picture. From what I can see, it's now just a recess with no door. Also, it looks like there's no more cd player... So it makes me think that I just bought the right year ('19) without knowing it! :)

Claude.;)

Edited by 2FAST4U
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

It came from my previous '16 Titanium. I swapped the drawer from the '16 with the door from my new '19. Luckily for me, both had the black interior! :yahoo:

and

Thanks "omar302" for the picture. From what I can see, it's now just a recess with no door. Also, it looks like there's no more cd player... So it makes me think that I just bought the right year ('19) without knowing it! :)

Claude.;)

You can see here in the 2021 the door under the screen is gone. Just a gaping open space. 

2021-Ford-Edge-5.jpg

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

Thanks for your reply... About the "gaping open space", I suppose that's where the charging pad will be... 

Claude.

Yeah its unchanged other than the door was removed. I cant even stand to leave mine open when the phone is plugged in. It would really bother me to not have the door. 

Edited by Fingernip

1 hour ago, Fingernip said:

Yeah its unchanged other than the door was removed. I cant even stand to leave mine open when the phone is plugged in. It would really bother me to not have the door. 

I prefer leaving it open when charging my phone to let the heat out. For some reason, my phone gets a little hot when while being charged in there but nothing to be too concerned about.

Claude.;)

On 12/2/2020 at 12:35 PM, 2FAST4U said:

and

Claude.;)

So the little drawer was just a remove & replace with your older one?   I was trying to eye up my 19 ST with the 15 SEL drawer but I couldn't tell if it was a direct fit.