My f*cking car flooded last night guys

AntDeek

Last night the sewer backed up (flash flood water, clean thankfully) and my street flooded when I was awoken by thunder. I had to drive my edge out of standing water, up to the shifter. 

Oil is clean but will still be changed tomorrow

trans fluid is clean but I’ll do a drain and fill tomorrow.

no codes.... yet

any tips friends? im absolutely distraught. Luckily the amplifiers were on the load floor and didn’t get wet

Edited by AntDeek
  • Sad 1

That is terrible news! Flooding can cause some serious problems in the immediate or long-term future. I'd double check with your insurance company about the flooding and see if they can cover any possibly future damages but its probably a tough situation since nothing bad happened (as far as you know)

It's a flood car!!  If your insurance company won't pay to fix it you need to get the interior removed.  Seats, Carpeting, anything below the watermark.  If they want to total it and you want to keep it ask the adjuster to write it up to just under the value of totaling. 

Flooding has long term effects.  Fresh water is better an salt.  Leave the windows opened and a fan running 24/7 to dry it out. 

You said it was sewage.  The smell may only get worse.  If it was storm drain water you may be ok.  If you report it your resale value will go down.  A fine line to walk. 

Good luck.

5 hours ago, AntDeek said:

Last night the sewer backed up and my street flooded when I was awoken by thunder. I had to drive my edge out of standing water, up to the shifter. 

As in inside up to the shifter? Unless you are in a negative equity or are unable to replace it with insurance writing it off, there is no way I would keep it. It is almost impossible to dry out a car without stripping it. All the underlay, foam and sound deadening can hold water for a long time and there is a huge chance of mold. Then there is all the wiring and such that has been exposed to water. There is a reason insurance companies just write off these kinds of things.

I recently had another car (2017 explorer) totaled and replaced on my insurance. The roof is leaking on my house, and we cannot afford the rate increase right now if I contact the insurance. 

I’m going to dry it out thoroughly. All door panels and interior trim has been removed. The water was only in the car for a few minutes and it drained very quickly. We shall see, thank you all for the kind words

Edited by AntDeek

44 minutes ago, IWRBB said:

The civil engineer failed to provide an emergency flood route.    There should always be a way for the water to go overland if the pipe/inlet gets clogged- at least where cars are being parked. 

This was a flash flood, all water was gone within an hour. Crazy how fast it happens. I wish I could get the township to pay

4 minutes ago, PaulSchott said:

I don't think the insurance co. will raise rates for this type of claim. 

This ^^^.  It's comprehensive coverage.   I would make a report and let them know you're letting it dry out to assess the damage.  That way if something pops up in a week or two you're covered.

First things first. When I worked for Ford turning wrenches years gone by, when we had a vehicle come in with water leaks or damage, whatever you want to call it, we removed the “complete” interior and let it air dry which also allowed the metal to dry underneath.

However, with your situation, a wet/dry vacuum may be a handy tool to have to suck the deep water imbedded within the interior seats and carpet after the interior is stripped from the vehicle, or you may end up with a “musty” smelling car. Have you “googled” what dealers do to dry out flood vehicles? Which brings up the issue of filing an insurance claim on your vehicle. They may list it as flood damaged which in turn could possibly show up on a CarFax report for your vehicle.

There have been several reports of “shady” dealers buying flood damaged vehicles cheap and then selling them after they are dried out without the new owner knowing it’s true history. In part, CarFax reports are generated from insurance claims on vehicles. If someone repairs any damage at their own expense, then it won’t show up on these reports.

If you decide to dry it out yourself, do it right or hire a company to do it for you. There are a lot of electronics running throughout the vehicles these days, good luck whichever route you choose.

Change the transmission fluid, engine oil, PTU fluid and rear differential fluids. Check ALL of your fuses (Wil tell you which electrical connectors got water inside.)  Required in owners manual for flooded cars (your car qualifies under flooded by Ford's definition.)

I would imagine your insurance company will total out the car (most will do if flooded above floor level.) 

Really sorry to hear about your car. Hope it works out ok.

• 1 month later...

An update guys: 

car has been completely dry for weeks, no blown fuses, oil and transmission fluid were changed. It’s FWD so no drivetrain fluids. Covered the entire underbody with undercoating (a good idea anyway) 

zero codes, no smell, dry as a bone. She lives to see another few years. 

thanks for the kind words, it’s no longer an issue for me.

• Like 3