Changed engine oil, transmission fluid and PTU

ZZOOGG

Rolled over 40,000 miles yesterday so I decided to change several fluids. 

Used Royal Purple 5w30 for the engine (5.7  quarts) with a Motorcraft filter, and Royal Purple 75/140 for the PTU. Been using R P for a long time and like it. 

For the transmission fluid I used Motorcraft LV atf. I had the front jacked up so it only drained 3.75 quarts, so that’s exactly what I put back in. The vehicle and the atf had been in the garage for a few days so the fluids In and out were the same temperature. The fluid was not real black and had a slight red tint still. Surprised. Pretty easy job. I do it again at the next couple of oil changes. 

The PTU was a real pain. I loosened the fill plug first to insure I could put fluid back in, then drained the unit. Both plugs were tight as hell. 

I filled it using a small hand pump I had bought on amazon and it worked swell. 

The big surprise was that it only took less than 1/2 a quart. I kept pumping it in but it came running back out. Ugh. Then I looked in the owner’s manual which said .35L for the 2.0 turbo. So, I guess I’m good but what a pain. There was a glob of goo on the drain plug magnet but no solid chunks. The fluid was not really too bad...dirty but not gooey like others have said. I expected worse. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Engr146 said:

After reading about ptu  issues and fluid no longer being lifetime ,I need an updated maintenance schedule, what about airbag recalls,has anyone done this?

I would aim for once a year or no more than 15-20k miles depending on  your driving habits.  I would change the PTU and RDU while shes in the air. I'd also suggest draining and filling your transmission fluid and coolant while shes in the air. If you're local to MD,VA,DE are check out JnCPerFormance. They will do right by you.

2 hours ago, Engr146 said:

Ford wants $250 to change PTU and rear end gear oil/fluid ,appoiment on Wednesday morning .

At that price it sounds like they were hoping you'd say 'I'll just do it myself."  If you aren't able to do it yourself, check with a transmission shop or independent mechanic.  With a lift it's a half hour job max plus a quart and a half of lube (give or take).

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been trying to change the transmission fluid on our 2018 Edge 3.5 AWD.  There's no dipstick and the manual does not provide the quality of transmission fluid. Even took the car to some quick service people and no one would even do the fluid change without a Dip Stick.  

Does anyone have a source for a 3.5L Dip Stick. 

And any source for the fluid qty? 

thanks Jerry

you can find capacities & specs here

https://www.mactgarage.com/gen-2-ford-edge-capacities-and-spec

The 2.0 is the only one without a dipstick.  It is somewhat hidden by the intake on the other 2.

Starting pg 269 in the owners manual

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u4qXpNzk-A_ViSu16WEItOr9y4VlwA-E/view?usp=sharing

btw, worth bookmarking owner.ford.com for more handy info and coupons etc.