Hello, just wanted to make a post to anyone with the adaptive headlights. I got my car serviced today and the adaptive headlights now work. I have a 2019 Ford Edge Titanium (Elite? it has  a sunroof and the front/back parking sensors etc so I'm not sure what makes it elite) There are no settings to turn It off or on like the manual and videos I saw online saw. They turn left and right when you turn the wheel. Tested it turning into my garage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I came here to ask about the adaptive headlights.  I recently bought an Edge Platinum with the Elite package.  When I turn my car on the headlights do a little dance but the option in the settings isn't checked and there's no way to change it.  According to the manual I should be able to select the option and change it.

Edited by Alphasite

• 1 year later...

I took my 2020 Edge Titanium Elite in for the camera recalls and mentioned that I was unable to select adaptive headlamps in the menu (It is greyed out).  (Mine also do a little dance when you turn them on)  The service advisor brought out a document that I think was a TSB that said even though it was greyed out the adaptive headlamps were operating properly.  I should have asked for a copy of it but I was distracted.  I don't know if they actually work or not.

2 hours ago, MLLI18 said:

I took my 2020 Edge Titanium Elite in for the camera recalls and mentioned that I was unable to select adaptive headlamps in the menu (It is greyed out).  (Mine also do a little dance when you turn them on)  The service advisor brought out a document that I think was a TSB that said even though it was greyed out the adaptive headlamps were operating properly.  I should have asked for a copy of it but I was distracted.  I don't know if they actually work or not.

if you can get on a small curvy road with no lighting at night, you can see them work. to me it's very noticeable. just drive slowly and turn your steering wheel slowly. you should see the light move in the direction you are turning.

if your lights do the little dance when you turn them on, then my guess is that they're working. although i believe they don't move when the car is stationary.

it does seem strange that people don't have the option available in the settings but as long as they work, that's what counts. i can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't want them to work. they give me so much peace of mind since i live in an area with almost no straight roads anywhere and tons of dear, bears, cougars, racoons, etc. the lighting is so much better to the side of the road in a curve with these lights. it's the main reason i sold my 2016 Ti; the lights were terrible.

3 hours ago, MLLI18 said:

SSM 48993 - 2020 Edge - Adaptive Headlamps - Selection Greyed Out In Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
Some 2020 Edge vehicles equipped with adaptive headlamps may exhibit an IPC selection of adaptive headlamp that appears greyed out or is not able to be selected. This selection does not affect the operation of the adaptive headlamps. This is characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs should be attempted.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
 2020 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE

7 hours ago, jmr061 said:
SSM 48993 - 2020 Edge - Adaptive Headlamps - Selection Greyed Out In Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
Some 2020 Edge vehicles equipped with adaptive headlamps may exhibit an IPC selection of adaptive headlamp that appears greyed out or is not able to be selected. This selection does not affect the operation of the adaptive headlamps. This is characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs should be attempted.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
 2020 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE

That's a new level for Ford. Describe something that's clearly wrong as normal! They should either enable the selection or remove it from the IPC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, omar302 said:

That's a new level for Ford. Describe something that's clearly wrong as normal! They should either enable the selection or remove it from the IPC.

Technically yes but there is no reason to turn it off and it’s not worth the effort to remove the menu option.

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I don’t think it’s that simple and even if it were doing that on a few hundred thousand vehicles is neither simple or cheap.

You very well maybe right, but I don't find it comforting that a quality control, engineer, designer who ever said hey this is an issue and a bean counter said nah its good it functions the way its supposed to.  Sort of like the transmission debacle.

There may be a legit reason why the adaptive headlights can not/ should not be disabled. But would it have hurt to iron out the niggles/ gremlins before they were mass produced?

I get that its not a Bimmer, Merc, Audi or insert any other high end manufacturer. But we're talking about ~50k depending on the options etc. Should quality control and due diligence be sacrificed because its not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

You very well maybe right, but I don't find it comforting that a quality control, engineer, designer who ever said hey this is an issue and a bean counter said nah its good it functions the way its supposed to.  Sort of like the transmission debacle.

There may be a legit reason why the adaptive headlights can not/ should not be disabled. But would it have hurt to iron out the niggles/ gremlins before they were mass produced?

I get that its not a Bimmer, Merc, Audi or insert any other high end manufacturer. But we're talking about ~50k depending on the options etc. Should quality control and due diligence be sacrificed because its not?

The problem is Edge is on an old dead platform and going away in a couple of years so they’re just not going to put any effort to fix something that is t causing a real problem.

6 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Every single manufacturer does this it doesn't matter who it is or how much you spend and over much more dire things than this. Look up hyundai engine fires or mercedes's ABC braking system or bmw's vanos system. Either you live with that fact or don't drive, like it or not lives are worth money and sometimes it's cheaper to let x amount be injured or die than to fix it until they get forced to by a judge or government agency.

25 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Every single manufacturer does this it doesn't matter who it is or how much you spend and over much more dire things than this. Look up hyundai engine fires or mercedes's ABC braking system or bmw's vanos system. Either you live with that fact or don't drive, like it or not lives are worth money and sometimes it's cheaper to let x amount be injured or die than to fix it until they get forced to by a judge or government agency.

Turning off adaptive headlights is not a safety issue.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Turning off adaptive headlights is not a safety issue.

Debatable the edge got an updated safety rating in lighting once the adaptive headlights became functional on 2019 model year. That wasn't my point though. I was showing that it doesn't matter if you spend 20k or 200k every manufacturer ends up with overlooked problems big and small that are decided by bean counters on whether a problem gets fixed or not. A menu option greyed out wouldn't be a blip on the radar.

From the online 2020 Edge Workshop Manual, edited and with emphasis added, explaining the “little dancing” headlights caused by the Headlamp Leveling system initialization, and also, the redundancy of Adaptive Headlamps’ Information Display setting, due to Autolamps headlight switch positional requirement for Adaptive Headlamps system operation…

Headlamps [ and ] Automatic Headlamp Leveling

For base and mid series headlamps, the LED headlamp system consists of a non-replaceable low and high beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) that are focused through a single projector lens.

For high series headlamps, the LED headlamp system consists of a non-replaceable low and high beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) that are focused through a single projector lens and additional high beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) that are focused through a separate smaller lens inboard of the main lens.

The mid and high series headlamps may be equipped with automatic headlamp leveling. The headlamp beam height is automatically adjusted according to vehicle load, speed, acceleration and braking. Automatic headlamp leveling is activated when the headlamp switch is in the HEADLAMPS or AUTOLAMPS position.

When the Adaptive Front Lighting Module first receives voltage when the ignition is ON, the and Adaptive Front Lighting Module commands the headlamps up and down to initialize the system. During the initialization, the HCM runs diagnostics on the system and set Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) for applicable system faults.

The high series headlamps are equipped with adaptive front lighting. Depending on the inputs received (steering wheel angle and vehicle speed for example), the adaptive front lighting module can command the angle at which the headlamps are aimed (left or right) to improve nighttime visibility around curves. Adaptive front lighting is only activated when the headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

New member here and I just purchased a 2021 Ford Edge ST with the 401a package in black. Doing a lot of research in the Internet and I cannot seem to find a ton of information on the 2021 ST. My main question is does the 2021 model year still include the adaptive headlamps? This is a Canadian car as I am in Canada. (I know this topic, has been beaten to death) I can not find an answer for this anywhere. My dealer says it does but they checked the build sheet and says it is standard on the 401a pkg. my window sticker makes no mention of this. Also there is no option for this in the menu on the dash or on the Sync 4a.

Any help would be appreciated!!

RM