2021 Edge new interior - 12” touchscreen

akirby

4 hours ago, todd92 said:

I didn't say copying was bad.  Volvo had the big portrait screen first. 

Volvo definitely did not do it better, their system is widely criticized for being laggy.  Ford Sync is one of the better systems out there.

I should have been clearer when I said Volvo did it better. I was referring to the way that it is integrated into the dash. I don't care for the top of screen extending above the dash. A friend has a Volvo with the tablet screen. I don't think he has ever mentioned any issues with it.

Seems to be an improvement over the Chinese Edge with a few more hard buttons. The Chinese even less audio hard buttons. 

Also, the image is clearly a preproduction photo. Passenger seat control does not have any logo in it unlike the driver's control (Edit: that logo is the heated steering wheel!). Also, doesn't make sense that the only hard button for the HVAC (Max Defrost) is duplicated in the screen two inches immediately above it.

image.thumb.png.9bb681c446b2ded236e5e0d675a54329.png

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, todd92 said:

I didn't say copying was bad.  Volvo had the big portrait screen first. 

Volvo definitely did not do it better, their system is widely criticized for being laggy.  Ford Sync is one of the better systems out there.

I think Tesla was the first to have the big portrait touch screen, which is exactly my point. Some one had to do it first, and then when they found out everyone loved it all other OEM's started following suit. You could say the same thing about the 2019 ram and 2021 F-150. Ram had the big portrait touchscreen first. The 2018 Navigator had a large, 10" landscape touchscreen.

I guess I'm just not entirely sure the point of saying Ford (or any OEM) copied another OEM, other than you're hating on it. Maybe I'm missing your point? ?‍♂️

23 hours ago, akirby said:

I don't like big screens which look "added-on", like if someone forgot to order one from the factory and just stuck an iPad on top of the dashboard. Although the current one is not as large it looks better, "molded in" the dash board, not sticking out!

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

I don't like big screens which look "added-on", like if someone forgot to order one from the factory and just stuck an iPad on top of the dashboard. Although the current one is not as large it looks better, "molded in" the dash board, not sticking out!

Claude.

Initially I felt the same way about my 2020 Explorer. But the longer I own it and the more I look at it the less it bothers me. I have the 10" portrait touch screen in mine, but I think even the 8" touch screen is not "molded in". I can't find a great side view of the 10" screen but here is one, you can see where the back has a mount that reaches up almost to the top of the screen. I suppose to alternative to having a screen that doesn't look "built in" to the car would be to either create a larger dash to intentionally fit it in (losing visibility out of the windshield), or move the screen down, which moves the controls and leaves less storage space.

image.png.9c7263b34c15409577acb9f920888975.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 12:57 PM, dolsen said:

I suppose to alternative to having a screen that doesn't look "built in" to the car would be to either create a larger dash to intentionally fit it in (losing visibility out of the windshield), or move the screen down, which moves the controls and leaves less storage space.

image.png.9c7263b34c15409577acb9f920888975.png

No... The alternative would be to make the screen a little smaller... C'mon... Does it really have to be the size of a computer monitor screen? :shrug:

Edited by 2FAST4U

14 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

No... The alternative would be to make the screen a little smaller... C'mon... Does it really have to be the size of a computer monitor screen? :shrug:

OR They could just remove touch screens altogether. :hammer_self:Better stick with a 2020 or older then.

You know what's funny, you talk about a 12" screen being the size of a computer monitor, me and everyone I work with bitches about having to use a 15" laptop screen because it's too small haha. So a 12" screen is no good at all for electronics except in a car I suppose. Too big to be a phone and too small to be a computer. There's no point to that, I just find it interesting.