Oil Change timeline

circatee

7 hours ago, circatee said:

I've checked the manual. But, anyone have a page number or idea, on when an oil change should be done on an Edge ST?

Thanks 

Page 432 of the manual "NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE". You can download a "PDF" version of the manual or browse an HTML (website). Link to 2020 FORD EDGE OWNER MANUAL, WARRANTY & OTHER INFORMATION.

In short, the manual states to follow the Oil change reminder which should come up at a maximum interval of 10K miles or 1-year.

From the manual:

NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

Oil Change Reminder
Your vehicle comes with an oil change reminder that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle.
Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.
The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use.

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED Message  
Interval   Vehicle Use and Example  
7500–10000 mi (12,000–16,000 km)   Normal  
Normal commuting with highway driving   No, or moderate, load or towing   Flat to moderately hilly roads   No extended idling  
5000–7500 mi (8,000–12,000 km)   Severe  
Moderate to heavy load or towing   Mountainous or off-road conditions   Extended idling   Extended hot or cold operation  
3000–5000 mi (5,000–8,000 km)   Extreme  
Maximum load or towing   Extreme hot or cold operation  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Good way to void your warranty. 

How so? I would like to change it to a lower interval. The factory default is 1 year or 10K miles. I drive between locations for work. Some high way but a epic shit ton local streets and or stop and go etc. I prefer to err on the side of caution and change between 3-5K miles.

Edited by onyxbfly

Well there's certainly no problem in changing your oil at those intervals, only in modifying the factory software. The 1yr or 10k interval is a maximum. 

Granted, changing the intervol to a shorter duration doesn't seem like it could cause an enging problem, but with all the inputs that are involved, who's to say that it doesn't muck things up. (It's not just a milage counter, it watches your driving habits and whatever.)

We all understand that using FORScan can result in inducing problems. (I'm currently researching a modification on my mkx). If I do make the change, just adding a rear camera, could cancel my extended warranty. (Per the tech at my local Ford garage).

Any firmware modification allows Ford to claim that the modification caused problems unforseen and their ruling is final.

This is the official, written opinion that Ford publishes: "The installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips’’"

15 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

How so? I would like to change it to a lower interval. The factory default is 1 year or 10K miles. I drive between locations for work. Some high way but a epic shit ton local streets and or stop and go etc. I prefer to err on the side of caution and change between 3-5K miles.

Does it not give you the option to set it to less than 100% when you reset it?  This video indicates that is an option at least on some Fords:

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/interior/dashboard/how-to-reset-engine-oil-life-with-lcd-screen.html#

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Does it not give you the option to set it to less than 100% when you reset it?  This video indicates that is an option at least on some Fords:

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/interior/dashboard/how-to-reset-engine-oil-life-with-lcd-screen.html#

Unfortunately it is not an option on any Ford that I have seen from 2015+

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

None of my current vehicles give you an option on percentage.  Past vehicles did.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

18 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Well there's certainly no problem in changing your oil at those intervals, only in modifying the factory software. The 1yr or 10k interval is a maximum. 

Granted, changing the intervol to a shorter duration doesn't seem like it could cause an enging problem, but with all the inputs that are involved, who's to say that it doesn't muck things up. (It's not just a milage counter, it watches your driving habits and whatever.)

We all understand that using FORScan can result in inducing problems. (I'm currently researching a modification on my mkx). If I do make the change, just adding a rear camera, could cancel my extended warranty. (Per the tech at my local Ford garage).

Any firmware modification allows Ford to claim that the modification caused problems unforseen and their ruling is final.

This is the official, written opinion that Ford publishes: "The installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips’’"

I completely get where you're coming from.  I was under the impression that the dealer would have to prove that your mod voided the warranty.  More importantly your warranty is only voided as far as that particular mod is concerned.  You add a rear view camera and your PTU goes out....Your rear view camera doesn't have anything to do with your PTU and thus they can't void your warranty for it.  

This is one of those times where Ford dropped the ball.... I wonder if Ford would say my turn signal indicator warranty is voided because I increased the number of flashes to 7 as opposed to 3 or 4 whatever it ships from the factory.

Not changing your oil is considered failing to maintain your vehicle properly. I wonder what Ford would say to someone if they changed their oil once a year or 10k miles and their engine died. I am good friends with an Amsoil distributor. 

He says that their oil is good for 10k miles with the use of their filter.  I asked him over pool and drinks if Amsoil would cover the repair if an engine died during the 10k mile period due to insufficient oil. You're going to burn some oil during the course of 10K miles.  He looked me dead in the eye and said they're supposed to honor it but they would fight you tooth and nail and you would probably spend more fighting it then getting it repaired.

I'm pretty sure that Ford would think along those lines.....Maybe Ford knows something we don't.....Maybe their oil is good for 10k. Personally I won't be the test dummy. Sounds a lot like their lifetime PTU fluid.....

• Like 1

The reason you can't change the oil life monitor is because Ford considers it an "Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor". It's not a set time or mileage (well, the maximum of 10k miles or 1yr is), it varies depending on vehicle use. It's not an adjustable variable, it's part of the  IPC firmware.

The "standard" oil change interval for Ford (not "required" interval) is 5,000 miles. If you just go to any Ford dealer for an oil change, this is what most will print on the sticker, too. Will it hurt if you do 7,500 miles? No. But I always say if you care about your engine and/or plan on keeping your car, just go 5,000 miles between changes. It's cheap insurance.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DaMiFo said:

The "standard" oil change interval for Ford (not "required" interval) is 5,000 miles. If you just go to any Ford dealer for an oil change, this is what most will print on the sticker, too. Will it hurt if you do 7,500 miles? No. But I always say if you care about your engine and/or plan on keeping your car, just go 5,000 miles between changes. It's cheap insurance.

That’s not the Ford standard interval- that’s whatever your dealer wants to suggest.  I’ve seen some still recommending 3K mile changes which is ridiculous.

Ford says IOLM or 10k max for normal service.  $5k for severe service.  Or something similar.  It’s in the OM.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s not the Ford standard interval- that’s whatever your dealer wants to suggest.  I’ve seen some still recommending 3K mile changes which is ridiculous.

Ford says IOLM or 10k max for normal service.  $5k for severe service.  Or something similar.  It’s in the OM.

Poor choice of words on my part.  Maybe I should've used 'average' or 'most common'. But yes the actual use cases are listed in the manual like you said. My point was majority of places (yes, not all) will say 5k miles, and most DIY owners (at least from the forums I am on, myself included) do it every 5k miles as well.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Omar posted an excerpt from the owners manual.

Here is a direct link for the post that is earlier inthis thread.