Has anyone used Dorman lug nuts?

ben senise

I'd like to replace the deformed original aluminum covered lug nuts with sold steel version. it's hard to find many of the brands like gorilla or mcgard. i have managed to find Dorman brand lug nuts 

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-91463-611-007.aspx?year=2020&make=Ford&model=Edge&parttype=Wheel%20Nut&origin=YMM

has anyone here used Dorman lug nuts? if so, how was your experience?

thanks

2 hours ago, omar302 said:

I don't remember reading on this forum of anyone trying them, however, I found some reviews on Amazon. They seem to be good, but prone to rust/corrosion in winter conditions.

If you are still considering the OEMs, you can get them for about half the price as a Ford Performance part for the Mustang (link)

thanks for that info. i didn't think of looking for reviews on amazon. we have winter conditions here so no go for me.

the mustang lug nuts won't really solve the problem since they are the same design, just less expensive.

thanks

1 hour ago, ben senise said:

thanks for that info. i didn't think of looking for reviews on amazon. we have winter conditions here so no go for me.

the mustang lug nuts won't really solve the problem since they are the same design, just less expensive.

thanks

For me, the first (original) set lasted about 3-4 years when I did not know how to preserve them, making sure technicians are using 21mm wrenches. So I expect the new set to out last how long I'll be keeping the Edge. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, omar302 said:

For me, the first (original) set lasted about 3-4 years when I did not know how to preserve them, making sure technicians are using 21mm wrenches. So I expect the new set to out last how long I'll be keeping the Edge. 

Use a decent 21mm wrench and no impact tools, then they'll last the life of the vehicle.

I had two oil changes at the dealership in the first few months of ownership which included wheel rotation, and in that time they chipped my rims and distorted the lug nuts.

When I addressed this with the service manager his response was that they use "Torque Sticks" - I had to explain to him that doesn't alleviate the damage to the soft shell of the lug nuts caused by the high-powered impact tool.

I was given a new set of lug nuts and they're in perfect condition 5 years later.

• Like 1

i do my own wheel changes twice a year (because there's always a mad rush as seasons change plus i want to have them changed when *I* want them changed.)

i use a 21mm socket with an impact drive to take them off. the problem is that the lug nuts get stuck in the socket so i loosen them, then rock the driver back and forth to loosen them, then continue until they're off. it's not the end of the world but it's a hassle that would be nice to avoid. the nuts themselves don't look distorted though. they just are. a solid steel nut would just be better.

i'll just try and pick up a gorilla or mcgard set next time i go south of the 49th.

19 hours ago, ben senise said:

i do my own wheel changes twice a year (because there's always a mad rush as seasons change plus i want to have them changed when *I* want them changed.)

i use a 21mm socket with an impact drive to take them off. the problem is that the lug nuts get stuck in the socket so i loosen them, then rock the driver back and forth to loosen them, then continue until they're off. it's not the end of the world but it's a hassle that would be nice to avoid. the nuts themselves don't look distorted though. they just are. a solid steel nut would just be better.

i'll just try and pick up a gorilla or mcgard set next time i go south of the 49th.

If you use an impact wrench then you're right, a solid steel nut would be better.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 5:29 PM, handfiler said:

Breaker-bar to loosen, torque wrench to tighten and impact wrench to spin the lug nuts on and off. Going on 12 years now and the lug nuts on my Mustang are still looking good. 

i was using the breaker bar to loosen, torque wrench to tighten and an old fashioned "X" shaped lug nut wrench to spin them. i bought the impact wrench because i was tired of the work involved with using the breaker bar to loosen them.

i am puzzled by the fact that so many people don't have this problem and yet so many others do.

anyway, steel nuts are the solution for me so i'll pick up a set.

• Like 1

I had these capped lugs on my 1997 Mark VIII, and they still survive to this day, 240,000 miles, countless tire changes, rotations, brake jobs.

I take my 2017 Escape in 1 time to a non Ford place (Costco) to get tires, and they screwed every one up. The dealer (QuickLane side) had done 7 tire rotations and I had to change a flat right before, and there were fine.

I live in the desert southwest, no rusting, no freezing/expanding. Just someone that couldn't be bothered to fully engage the lug nuts. Every one was twisted half way down.

I had 2 sets of some pretty cheap solid chromed lugs for my vehicles, so I was ready, I just didn't expect my newest vehicle to be the one to need a set. I put them on another car just because I went with chrome rims the capped ones look dull in them.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 9:34 PM, ben senise said:

i am puzzled by the fact that so many people don't have this problem and yet so many others do.

I believe that the cause 'could be' some "mechanics" are using SAE sockets in place of Metric. (Loose fit). No real evidence but I'm guilty of it myself and these nuts are unusually susceptible to a loose fitting tool. And none of us wants to damage our nuts when using our tools .....  :-/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I thought that mine were okay on my newly acquired Edge, but when I tried to put a 21mm socket on them, it only engaged about half way down on most of them.

52631155502_9724c80bf1_b.jpg

52632113600_0dd04d0018_b.jpg

I got a set of 23 (I couldn't figure out why 23 until I got them) of 21mm hex m14x1.5 solid lug nuts. These are similar to ones I have used on all my other vehicles, and don't think the smaller conical seat length matters. I replaced them on 2 wheels and will drive it around and check before doing the other 2 wheels. For $1 more I got 3 extra lugs (over the 20 pack) to have spares, but thought it was a typo and would be 24 (for a 6 lug F-150), but they are for a Jeep with the spare that uses 3 lugs to connect to the spare tire carrier.

I was barely able to get the OEM lug wrench on them, but my 13/16-21mm lug socket was a no go, but works well with the new lugs. They are 13/16 (20.64mm) but the OEM lug wrench does fine with them.

I am glad no one was recording me trying to get the lug wrench off the jack, a very new setup for me but once I noodled it all out it makes sense. The spare actually had 60 psi of air.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, ben senise said:

I'd like to replace the deformed original aluminum covered lug nuts with sold steel version. it's hard to find many of the brands like gorilla or mcgard. i have managed to find Dorman brand lug nuts 

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-91463-611-007.aspx?year=2020&make=Ford&model=Edge&parttype=Wheel%20Nut&origin=YMM

has anyone here used Dorman lug nuts? if so, how was your experience?

thanks

Ben; I find myself need to replace the lug nuts on my 2016. Did you buy the Dorman, and if so how have they been? If you did not buy Dorman what did you go with and how have they done for you?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 2:16 PM, Chipster said:

Ben; I find myself need to replace the lug nuts on my 2016. Did you buy the Dorman, and if so how have they been? If you did not buy Dorman what did you go with and how have they done for you?

I ended up getting McGard solid lugnuts.  They had better reviews for rust resistance.  Only thing is they are 22mm, so I had to put a 22mm socket in with a breaker bar.  The OEM jack handle won't work now.  They have been on almost a year with no issues.

21 hours ago, JoeVic said:

I ended up getting McGard solid lugnuts.  They had better reviews for rust resistance.  Only thing is they are 22mm, so I had to put a 22mm socket in with a breaker bar.  The OEM jack handle won't work now.  They have been on almost a year with no issues.

Thanks. Anyone else have any thoughts / experiences about a replacement alternative that they have used?

I replaced my oe lugs with the mcgard solids for the color (black).  I have heard - and I don't know if it is mentioned here that mcgard is the oem for the two piece units that come with the edge.  I do feel a little soiled having paid what I felt was a handsome price for the mcgards but they are holding up well.  These 22 mm lugs motivated me to buy an impact - so there is that...

20 hours ago, TourGuide said:

I replaced my oe lugs with the mcgard solids for the color (black).  I have heard - and I don't know if it is mentioned here that mcgard is the oem for the two piece units that come with the edge.  I do feel a little soiled having paid what I felt was a handsome price for the mcgards but they are holding up well.  These 22 mm lugs motivated me to buy an impact - so there is that...

One thing is for sure I don't want another two piece lug nut!

On 12/30/2023 at 6:44 PM, TourGuide said:

Whenever I buy a Ford vehicle now - if the oe lugs are still on there - they get replaced right away.  It is a chronic problem that I think is engineered to get JUST past 3 years and 36k miles.

What brand replacement did you use?

McGard solid lugs were my choice and are a pretty solid choice - aside from the cost.  I ended up balancing that with the thought that replacing corroded ones multiple times would ultimately be an equivalent expense over time and less hassle.  At least that is how i rationalized it...

Edited by TourGuide

If I lived where corrosion was an issue, I wouldn't have cheaped out and gotten the lowest end ones. But I live in the desert, and I only have to worry about ham fisted techs when they install new tires (or if I have to take it back for rotations for the warranty). I have rotated mine twice since installing the new lug nuts, and had 2 flats, and they remain tight, thread on and off easily, and haven't rusted.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing some work on my wife's Edge and looks like she's got the common lug swell going on.  Read through the various posts on this but don't seem to have a consensus on replacements.  Corrosion matters here in the northeast so that's a factor.  Her existing ones made it about 4 years.  Can anyone confirm these are indeed the same as the Edge lugs (even though they are made for the F150)?  ACPZ-1012-B (vs the -M) I don't want to go to a 22mm just for her sake on the side of the road somewhere.  Chrome or black, doesn't matter.  At this price I'm ok with replacing again in 4 years but if we need to buy the $6-7 per ones specific to the Edge there have to be better one piece non rusting options out there I'd think Any help is appreciated as always!

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

Doing some work on my wife's Edge and looks like she's got the common lug swell going on.  Read through the various posts on this but don't seem to have a consensus on replacements.  Corrosion matters here in the northeast so that's a factor.  Her existing ones made it about 4 years.  Can anyone confirm these are indeed the same as the Edge lugs (even though they are made for the F150)?  ACPZ-1012-B (vs the -M) I don't want to go to a 22mm just for her sake on the side of the road somewhere.  Chrome or black, doesn't matter.  At this price I'm ok with replacing again in 4 years but if we need to buy the $6-7 per ones specific to the Edge there have to be better one piece non rusting options out there I'd think Any help is appreciated as always!

I don't recall reading about someone using them in an Edge. But being different might mean there is an "engineering" thing and hence I would not recommend it.

If you need cheaper OEM, you can get them cheaper by buying the Ford Performance set for the Mustang which uses the same lug nuts as the 2015+ Edge. See here for more details on my experience. 

Thanks.  Debating replacing just the swollen ones or every single one to avoid any issues.  (Leaning toward the latter).  Would love to find some nice, decently priced one piece black lugs that won't rust but that seems an impossibility.  Might just order 4 packs from your link and call it day.  Thanks again!