Looking Beyond Edge being discontinued

DGW

I love my 2019 Edge and when ready to buy again would replace it with another Edge in a heart beat. Unfortunately Ford is discontinuing the Edge after the 2024 model year and Ford Authority is saying they will be producing an EV Explorer at the plant. For me the Edge was the perfect size if wanting something larger than an Escape and but not wanting to go up to the size of an Explorer.  At least for me I think that Ford is making a mistake by discontinuing the Edge as it filled a space between the Escape and the Explorer. 

For anyone thinking about replacing their Edge in the future what are you thinking? Will you buy a different Ford model even though it may not be similar to the Edge in size or would you consider buying another brand? I am in the process of buying a 23 Escape to replace my wife's Escape so not in the market today to replace the Edge. While I understand that Ford is focusing on EV's I am not ready for buying one and may me forced to purchase another brand.

I agree Ford is making a huge mistake.  I bought several Fusions, then they stopped making cars.  Seemed like a mistake.  I moved to a 22 Edge ST this time, and would buy another one as well, now no more Edge.  Don't want an Escape or Explorer.  My dad and other family members retired from Ford, and I worked in the plant briefly as well.  Would hate to switch brands, but if they have no cars but the Mach-E and no midsize SUV what else is there?

While I'm in no rush to replace my Nautilus I can see myself buying something along the lines of the upcoming Ioniq 5 N as a potential replacement for both the Lincoln and the Mustang. Seems like it could handle the utility and performance aspects of those two vehicles and leave some extra room in the garage. I don't do extended trips so EV is not an issue.

I was surprised that the Edge is really close to the 2017 Escape in most dimensions. 1/3 inch more front head room (actually less since I have pano roof), .5 more leg room, 4 more front shoulder room (but the location of the center console seems to negate that, it is taller). The cargo area is only 6 inches longer, but with the sharper slanted rear window I actually lose space for some things like a dog kennel. I find the Escape to have more usable spaces even if it is smaller. The center console is more usable, the door pockets, the glove box (the Edge glove box is a joke, as is that silly compartment on top, don't mention the cubby in front of the center console).

If I had an equally equipped Escape I would be happier with it. My wife likes the Edge mostly for the pano roof, but finds it larger (it is only 10 inches longer and 4 inches wider than the Escape it replaced) and harder to park.

I suppose I have at least one more vehicle purchase to make. I hate the lack of sedans, but will probably go with something more Escape sized. I like the Explorer but not the price, but maybe by the time I need to get another vehicle I will be more likely to spend more. I try to get 20-25 years and 300-350k miles out of vehicles, and newer vehicles, even with cheaper builds and more electronics, seem more likely to be able to do that. I don't know if I am willing to buy a new Lincoln, they are nice and worth the extra cost, but out of my comfort zone ($82,000 for the 2024 Nautilus top end with hybrid). Used the extra $8-12k over the Edge made most MKX/Nautilus out of my range still.

I am pretty loyal to Ford, but can keep an open mind.

• Like 1

I have had a 2010 and 2016  Fusions before getting the Edge.  They were both very comfortable cars and I was really sad to see them discontinued. I just happened to be speaking to my service advisor this morning and the Edge being discontinued and he mentioned he recalls a lot of customers at the time who drove sedans going to other brands. He said he hasn't seen those customers since.  I imagine Ford will see some loyal customers not return after the Edge is discontinued and I am guessing that to Ford it will be just a cost of doing business.

Yeah, I have a 2012 Fusion and my daughter has a 2015 Fusion, and I think they are great. No sedans and the entry level now the Maverick which can be hard to get is stopping new brand loyalty starting at the beginning and keeping them when they have more to spend or need something larger. I guess the Escape can be on the lower end as well, but nothing like a Focus or Fusion S.

My Edge has a long wat to go, and there will be countless options available by then, and yes, we will be forced away from combustion. My main concern is getting next generation EV such as Solid State or possibly Hydrogen. Not interested at all in current Lithium as too expensive, too long to charge, and too short a range, capacity drops over time, and too few chargers out there compared to growing EV purchases. If you ever have the need to tow, good luck finding a charger you can pull into with your trailer attached. Since Toyota leading currently in Solid State, may switch back to them. Never had any issues with our Toyotas. Still feel Hybrid better, our Priuses went well over 100,000 with zero issues and over 51 mpg. Retail much more affordable than Lithium too. Love my Edge but the new Prius is gorgeous and finally has some HP. They hold a lot, one time a fit an outdoor lounge chair in it and the tail gate still closed.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Edge and Fusion never had big profit margins so when those resources are needed for other vehicles like Maverick and Bronco Sport or BEVs they drop them.  Sucks for buyers but better for the company in the long run.

Actually it sucks for Ford because a lot of us will move on to other brands with better offerings and better quality control.

I've had an Escape and it was cramped and noisy.  The Explorer is too big for my taste.  I am not ready to buy an EV.  I have an extended warranty on my 2022 for 60 months/60,000 and it's paid for.  I intend to drive it for a while yet, but I still like to look around for my next purchase.  I have driven Ford/Mercury since 1985 but this is my last.  Currently, Ford/Lincoln does not offer what I want and the Ecoboost fiasco has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I'm leaning toward Mercedes-Benz (German made, not Alabama). 

16 hours ago, handfiler said:

Actually it sucks for Ford because a lot of us will move on to other brands with better offerings and better quality control.

Did it suck for Ford when they replaced fusion, mkz and focus with Maverick, Bronco sport, Bronco and Ranger?  No because they’re still #1 in sales or close to it and those products have much bigger profit margins.  

Will they lose customers?  Of course.  Will BEVs bring new customers?  Of course.  We’ll have to wait and see how the new BEV utilities play out.  They could always bring back a new C2 edge (but not the Chinese version exactly) if market demands it.

15 hours ago, Will2U said:

I've had an Escape and it was cramped and noisy.  The Explorer is too big for my taste.  I am not ready to buy an EV.  I have an extended warranty on my 2022 for 60 months/60,000 and it's paid for.  I intend to drive it for a while yet, but I still like to look around for my next purchase.  I have driven Ford/Mercury since 1985 but this is my last.  Currently, Ford/Lincoln does not offer what I want and the Ecoboost fiasco has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I'm leaning toward Mercedes-Benz (German made, not Alabama). 

We bought a 22 Nautilus due to the uncertainty and plan to keep it at least 10 years.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Did it suck for Ford when they replaced fusion, mkz and focus with Maverick, Bronco sport, Bronco and Ranger?  No because they’re still #1 in sales or close to it and those products have much bigger profit margins.  

Will they lose customers?  Of course.  Will BEVs bring new customers?  Of course.  We’ll have to wait and see how the new BEV utilities play out.  They could always bring back a new C2 edge (but not the Chinese version exactly) if market demands it.

They need those #1 in sales to offset their warranty payouts. If they don't get the quality issues addressed soon they won't be #1 in sales for much longer.

Edited by handfiler

It's interesting that many on this thread have the same purchase preferences. My wife drives a 2016 Fusion and I a 2016 Edge. Given the fact that Ford killed both of these vehicles we probably will jump the "Blue Oval" ship in the next year or so. Given the likelihood of her 1.5 developing an appetite for coolant, and my 3.5 needing a new water pump or worse we will have to look elsewhere. I think I am ready to make a move towards EV's for my replacement and have been following the trials and tribulations of the KIA EV6 and must say it looks to me like that vehicle still needs some development before I jump there. I am also looking to see how the new Blazer EV and Equinox EV fare with early buyers. The Blazer's styling is a bit over the top for my tastes, but its size seems to fit my needs better than the Nox. I like the styling of the Nox. but I think it might be a bit too small. I'll have to wait and see. I drove the Mach E and liked it, but it felt a bit too small so I ruled it out.Come on Ford get with the program!

Edited by Chipster

On 7/20/2023 at 2:12 PM, handfiler said:

They need those #1 in sales to offset their warranty payouts. If they don't get the quality issues addressed soon they won't be #1 in sales for much longer.

GM was #1 in sales when they went bankrupt,  sales do t always equal profits.

And they are finally addressing quality srptarting with the big sellers and worst offenders.

On 7/20/2023 at 3:26 PM, Chipster said:

It's interesting that many on this thread have the same purchase preferences. My wife drives a 2016 Fusion and I a 2016 Edge. Given the fact that Ford killed both of these vehicles we probably will jump the "Blue Oval" ship in the next year or so. Given the likelihood of her 1.5 developing an appetite for coolant, and my 3.5 needing a new water pump or worse we will have to look elsewhere. I think I am ready to make a move towards EV's for my replacement and have been following the trials and tribulations of the KIA EV6 and must say it looks to me like that vehicle still needs some development before I jump there. I am also looking to see how the new Blazer EV and Equinox EV fare with early buyers. The Blazer's styling is a bit over the top for my tastes, but its size seems to fit my needs better than the Nox. I like the styling of the Nox. but I think it might be a bit too small. I'll have to wait and see. I drove the Mach E and liked it, but it felt a bit too small so I ruled it out.Come on Ford get with the program!

EV explorer and aviator are on the way but may not be the kind of vehicle you want.

• Like 1

I currently own a 2011 Edge, 2019 Fusion Hybrid and a 2023 Escape ST.  The 2011 Edge is way nicer than the 2023 Escape in almost every single way besides technology and MPG. Out of the three, I still prefer driving the Edge by a good margin.  I've been driving Fords my whole life but will finally be looking at other brands when I decide to sell the Edge.  Whatever I get will definitely be a hybrid.

On 7/23/2023 at 9:53 PM, fishx65 said:

I currently own a 2011 Edge, 2019 Fusion Hybrid and a 2023 Escape ST.  The 2011 Edge is way nicer than the 2023 Escape in almost every single way besides technology and MPG. Out of the three, I still prefer driving the Edge by a good margin.  I've been driving Fords my whole life but will finally be looking at other brands when I decide to sell the Edge.  Whatever I get will definitely be a hybrid.

Nautilus will be available as a hybrid.  Might be worth a look.