Now that it's here - Trick or quirks you are finding

choff1138

I watched the MyLincolnTouch video on the Lincoln website several times. You can see the response time when an option is selected and it seems pretty quick. I can tell you that the Touch system on my MKX is not that quick and there is a lag time. I sure hope that Ford did not speed up the video to make it look like it is faster. Hopefully software and firmware upgrades will speed it up. It's certainly not slow enough to be a deal breaker and it seems to be a nice system. I do have some suggestions for enhancements however.

It seems that I have been reading this alot....My Touch lag.

Ā 

How many of you are experiencing lag? Is somtimes, all the time, maybe some dont have lag and some do? Is it just some functions of the system?

Ā 

This could be a deal breaker for me...No joke. I'd be willing to wait til spring or when this fixed, rather then drive my $43K Sport around and have to deal with a lagging My Touch system.

Ā 

Please, for those of you that have My Touch please give your experiences. Thanks

The My Touch is slow at times. I'm learning to not go crazy and keep hitting the button. It's no ipad but its acceptable.

I'm also learning to use the voice commands and they work great for me.

The steering wheel controls (MySync) work good.

Ā 

Someone else mentioned that we were all beta testers for the MyTouch. I think they are right.

I stopped for a few minutes tonight and wrote an email to my son outlining my thoughts on my new ride. I'll share it with you here...

I've driven a few more miles (up to 200 miles now)

The Edge IS bigger than camry. Not so much in length but in width and height.

When exiting, I no longer need to use muscles to stand up from a sitting position. I merely spin around and walk out of the seat.

Stepping UP to get in is taking a little getting used to. Not too bad though.

Ā 

The 6 speed is smoooooth. I only notice the gear change when it's kicking down to pass. The camry had the variable transmission and seemed strange during freeway on-ramp. The Edge has a great power band for freeway on-ramps and cruising and city.

Ā 

HIDs are cool and bright. LED facia lights are real cool. I noticed the same vertical style Qs on a 68 gt500 Mustang while watching the barrett Jackson auction yesterday.

Ā 

Rain sensing wipers are pretty darn cool. Where is the sensor???

Ā 

Not a good car for Jackson (225 lb mastiff). The ramp I have is too steep for anybody to walk into back of Edge. I would need to find another solution to get him into the edge.

Ā 

It's clear to me that there are two MY systems. MySync (steering wheel & cluster) MyTouch (big ass center touch screen) MyTouch needs some service packs. I've figured out how to make it reboot. Stick an USB stick with Sync update file into port then start car. It seems to restart even if it's not updating. CRUDE

Bluetooth streaming needs help. It has worked good and usually doesn't work at all.

Ā 

Voice commands work much better than Camry. There a several points to configure how you want it to interact with you. I did have a learning opportunity yesterday when I asked it to raise the temperature and I ended up calling my sister...she's doing fine.

I've since learned how to hold the phone button down to cancel the call.

Edited by wilsons66604

At the dealer last Tue when I picked up my Edge, it wouldn't recognize the Nav SD card. I inserted it and the msg said "Please insert a valid Nav SD card." We popped it out and re-inserted a couple times, but the same.

Ā 

My salesguy started writing a warranty item for a bad SD card. Hopefully Ford would just send a replacement directly to me. But Wed he called and Ford is requiring the dealer to attempt a sofware update in the car before they replace the card. Since I couldn't get away during the week, we arranged for a Sat service.

Ā 

In the meantime, Fri there was a Ford rep at the dealer driving a pre-prod Explorer (drives from dealer to dealer providing training; did similar with a new Edge several months ago). My salesguy asked him he had seen the problem not recognizing the SD card. He had! And he said sometimes all it takes was to keep trying to pop it out and re-insert it... it may eventually work.

Ā 

We had tried that a couple times, but nothing. Sat, the tech 1) had no luck re-inserting either; 2) had no luck with the software update. Since this is all new tech to dealers, he needed some support from Ford tech -- but that's not available on Saturdays. [Editorial comment: if most dealers' service is available on Saturdays, why doesn't Ford support them? Huh?]

Ā 

So I drove home a loaner (my purchasing dealer is 50 miles away), hope to have the software update applied and the Nav system working today, then my car driven to me later this afternoon.Damn. The first weekend I could spend some quality time in it and I don't have it.

I am wondering about the mirrors - by getting the BLIS, did I give up heated mirrors? Usually there is a little symbol on heated mirrors that aren't on mine because of the BLIS thing. The window sticker mentions both, but was hoping to find out without having to frost up my mirrors first.

Heated mirrors are standard I know on the Limited. I imagine if your window sticker mentions it, you have it. BTW, I am sorta of new hear, just got and Edge about 3 weeks ago. Love mine, you have mentioned cold up there, just curious what part of Alaska you live it?

Hi. Just got my 11 Edge and have come across one quirk so far. I was so excited that I could plug in my iPhone 3GS to access my iTunes library through the Edge BUT when I try to plug in my iPhone using the USB port an error comes up on the Nav screen saying SD Card Fault. I then have to take out the SD card, turn off the Edge, turn it back on, and then it will recognize the Nav card again (if I don't do it in that order, it won't recognize the card again). This problem has happened each time I tried to use the USB port.

Any suggestions??

Ā 

Otherwise I love my new Edge!

Heated mirrors are standard I know on the Limited. I imagine if your window sticker mentions it, you have it. BTW, I am sorta of new hear, just got and Edge about 3 weeks ago. Love mine, you have mentioned cold up there, just curious what part of Alaska you live it?

Ā 

Ā 

Congrats on yours - I just finally got mine on Friday - but been reading up on this forum since I ordered.

Ā 

I live in the Anchorage area - but it is already reaching the end of fall here. It was 28 this morning on the way to work and only warmed up to 44 today. Come March those temps will be great, but now still kind of chilly.

Congrats on yours - I just finally got mine on Friday - but been reading up on this forum since I ordered.

Ā 

I live in the Anchorage area - but it is already reaching the end of fall here. It was 28 this morning on the way to work and only warmed up to 44 today. Come March those temps will be great, but now still kind of chilly.

Congrats on getting your home. Ah, yes kinda sad indeed. Shades of what I have in store in Colorado. Definitely Fallish these days but we are actually now getting some pretty nice weather, about the best of Summer season. Summer was cool here this year until about a month ago. It will be interesting to see how the Edge does in snow.

I could absolutely KICK myself! :banghead::banghead: :banghead:

Ā 

BluEdge has been at the dealer since Saturday. I've been driving a piece-o'-crap loaner.

Ā 

If you've read my previous posts, the Edge didn't recognize the brand new Nav SD card delivered with it from the factory. The dealer has been back-n-forth with Ford troubleshooting the reason. They tore the console apart (glad I wasn't there to see that) after software updates didn't fix the problem. Finally, FINALLY!!, Ford asks them if anyone there had an SD card with music on it. Of course, it recognized that just fine.

Ā 

I was gonna do that!! But for whatever reason, I didn't. Damn. I'm sofa king stupid. It coulda been fixed four days ago! And I have SD cards with music on 'em right here!

Ā 

After that, Ford of course is sending a new card (to the dealer) which will then be sent to me. BluEdge will be driven back home tomorrow morning.

Ā 

Lesson learned.

Edited by revOevoM

Ā 

BluEdge has been at the dealer since Saturday. I've been driving a piece-o'-crap loaner.

Ā 

If you've read my previous posts, the Edge didn't recognize the brand new Nav SD card delivered with it from the factory. The dealer has been back-n-forth with Ford troubleshooting the reason. They tore the console apart (glad I wasn't there to see that) after software updates didn't fix the problem. Finally, FINALLY!!, Ford asks them if anyone there had an SD card with music on it. Of course, it recognized that just fine.

Ā 

I was gonna do that!! But for whatever reason, I didn't. Damn. I'm sofa king stupid. It coulda been fixed four days ago! And I have SD cards with music on 'em right here!

Ā 

After that, Ford of course is sending a new card (to the dealer) which will then be sent to me. BluEdge will be driven back home tomorrow morning.

Ā 

Lesson learned.

Ā 

Ā 

Poor Blu - and you of course. I was telling my hubby about this last night and he asked the same thing. (did they try a different card?) I am so sorry you have been parted for so long, I don't want to be away from mine at all...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Lesson learned.

Bummer!

I think the stupid ones are the service personel. This is real new tech and nobody at the dealership has any experience. That is something we will have to look out for when it comes to the Touch systems.

Bummer!

I think the stupid ones are the service personel. This is real new tech and nobody at the dealership has any experience. That is something we will have to look out for when it comes to the Touch systems.

Ā 

Ā 

I will probably have my techie hubby check touch stuff first - well really anything - I no my limits. :)

Ā 

hurry home Blu!

Today I was helping my father in law set up his new ride, and found that Mysync system was not working properly. I could get Nav to work but when it came to settings I could not get into the sub menus (i.e. set up time etc.). I got it fixed by doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery cable. It seems fine now. Does anyone know which fuse controls the Sync system? I also downloaded the software patch from Ford but so far cannot get it loaded into the Sync system. I will get my new Edge in a week or two. So far I am really impressed with the technology, I hope all bugs will get fixed in the next few months.

Today I was helping my father in law set up his new ride, and found that Mysync system was not working properly. I could get Nav to work but when it came to settings I could not get into the sub menus (i.e. set up time etc.). I got it fixed by doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery cable. It seems fine now. Does anyone know which fuse controls the Sync system? I also downloaded the software patch from Ford but so far cannot get it loaded into the Sync system. I will get my new Edge in a week or two. So far I am really impressed with the technology, I hope all bugs will get fixed in the next few months.

I found that plugging the USB update in before you start the car is a way to get MyTouch to reboot.

Ā 

Also fuse 29 in the kick panel controls the sync.

The panel has a slide to right thing to unlock it.

I found that standing on your head helps to acess the fuses. I pulled #7 to reboot my power seats today

I found that plugging the USB update in before you start the car is a way to get MyTouch to reboot.

Ā 

Also fuse 29 in the kick panel controls the sync.

The panel has a slide to right thing to unlock it.

I found that standing on your head helps to acess the fuses. I pulled #7 to reboot my power seats today

Somebody here said, it's not a good idea to get first year model car, it looks like he is right .....sorry to hear about all your problems with the electronics. Hopefully you get them solved soon ...

Somebody here said, it's not a good idea to get first year model car, it looks like he is right .....sorry to hear about all your problems with the electronics. Hopefully you get them solved soon ...

Ā 

I was told and thought the same thing, however had no choice to buy this year due to selling me previous car a lot quicker than anticipated (couldn't pass on the offer). My wife and I only agreed on the Edge as a new vehicle so our minds were made up and we just ordered, order is going in today to the plant.

Ā 

Are the problems / glitches we keep hearing about being reported to Ford and do they correct them / update them each day or do they wait until the model year ends and then fixes them e.g. new software updates, firmware etc...

Ā 

I wonder if any of the problems people are facing will be corrected in future builds like car being built in October, November etc...

Ā 

If they aren't, is everyone convinced that with time they will be or is this something that 1st model year owners are going to have to live with?

Ā 

I'm bummed out hearing all the negative feedback on the Navi system, Miles instead of KM's (have no idea if the person with that issue has had it fixed or not??) and i hear that the Navi is slow, another bummer.

I was told and thought the same thing, however had no choice to buy this year due to selling me previous car a lot quicker than anticipated (couldn't pass on the offer). My wife and I only agreed on the Edge as a new vehicle so our minds were made up and we just ordered, order is going in today to the plant.

Ā 

Are the problems / glitches we keep hearing about being reported to Ford and do they correct them / update them each day or do they wait until the model year ends and then fixes them e.g. new software updates, firmware etc...

Ā 

I wonder if any of the problems people are facing will be corrected in future builds like car being built in October, November etc...

Ā 

If they aren't, is everyone convinced that with time they will be or is this something that 1st model year owners are going to have to live with?

Ā 

I'm bummed out hearing all the negative feedback on the Navi system, Miles instead of KM's (have no idea if the person with that issue has had it fixed or not??) and i hear that the Navi is slow, another bummer.

I don't think we need to justify why we purchased the Edge.

The new Edge is much improved in more ways than just the very cool tech. The interior is awesome.

The tech does need a few bugs fixed and I hear that major updates are scheduled every 6 months.

The software is loaded onto the car via wireless while it is traveling down the assembly line. I would assume that the latest version is always loaded.

That said, this car will not be for everyone. All this new tech may be more than many people can handle. I'm a tech geek and have learned to be patient and troubleshoot my way through problems.

I am having the same issue with the Nav system and SD card. Mine doesn't recognize the Nav card at all, if I put it in and try to access the SD slot through either Sync or the audio menu it tells me no SD card is entered. I thought maybe the card was sent empty so I put it in my laptop and found the nav software and the gracenote database software as well. After that I took a different SD card with some music on it and it was recognized just fine. Hopefully with this info I can get them to get me a new SD card and that will solve the problem.

Ā 

I got the car last Tuesday and took it back to the dealer on Saturday and no one there knew a thing about the my touch system. You'd think ford would have trained their people a little better or at all if they are planning on using this system as a big selling point. I'm pretty sure I knew more about how everything worked than they did. The response time for the touch screen depending on what functionality is being accessed is acceptable. Is it 60 fps? No, but it's not choppy. It's a little slow, but the transitions are smooth if that makes sense.

Ā 

Other than the nav not cooperating I'm loving the car, it's earth metallic with a sienna interior. I didn't think I'd like a brown car and was looking for the kona blue, but the combination of the exterior and interior colors gives the car a really classy look. So far very happy, my wife drove it to green bay from milwaukee monday and so far combined over the last week of ownership it's getting 21.2 MPG combined, a significant increase of the 18.1 combined we were getting in our 2007.

Ā 

Now we just need the 2012 focus to come out to replace the GTI.

Edited by JPSacc

On an odd side note, the dealer also lost the one of the keys that are stored in the back of the key fobs for the intelligent access key. I got a call yesterday from the service department and their supplier hasn't even received any of those keys yet. They're hoping they get them in stock in a week or so. It's not a big deal since the fob still works, but it is an annoyance. How do they lose the key and why would they take it out of the fob to begin with?

I am really not finding any problems with my sync or edge in general - maybe I am just lucky. The only thing I have had was this morning the display didn't change when the song on my ipod did. If that continues on the next drive I might call it a problem, but so far - that could be an ipod issue or the car. I would agree with the statement that the system might be a bit slow, but not choppy. It isn't an ipad/ipod as one person also commented, but I find that the better I get at touching in the right spot (might look like a big area to touch, but there are specific spots) the better it works. It is a learning process for all of us.

Ā 

The other thing I can't test are any of the serius stuff - doesn't work in Alaska. But the navigation that came on the sd card has worked and been accurate driving around town.

Ā 

I would certainly buy this car again - and will recommend it to others. As the software systems get perfected it will only get better.

I have had my 11 Limited since Labor Day, though I only have about 250 miles on it, I have not had a real issues either. Frankly I expect some being that it has a redesigned electrical system and all the touch stuff and sync is new to this model year. A couple of brief things like the nav card became unreadable, but turning off the car and back on seemed to fix it. Sooo much tech stuff to learn, but am comfortable with getting to all required stuff and am really loving it. Fun to drive, rides and handles great. I will admit , at first I was a little overwhelmed with all the electronics, but have become comfortable with it. I would also recommend the car to others. Looking forward to driving move and maybe a trip to the mountains this weekend.

I have had my 11 Limited since Labor Day, though I only have about 250 miles on it, I have not had a real issues either. Frankly I expect some being that it has a redesigned electrical system and all the touch stuff and sync is new to this model year. A couple of brief things like the nav card became unreadable, but turning off the car and back on seemed to fix it. Sooo much tech stuff to learn, but am comfortable with getting to all required stuff and am really loving it. Fun to drive, rides and handles great. I will admit , at first I was a little overwhelmed with all the electronics, but have become comfortable with it. I would also recommend the car to others. Looking forward to driving move and maybe a trip to the mountains this weekend.

Ā 

Ā 

Only 250 miles? I have done that since Friday night.... :)

Ā 

Enjoy those mountains.

Now that I've put a whopping 300 miles on (been spending most of my time parked and messin with the tech), I can say that the BlueTooth streaming is starting to "learn" how to work with my iPhone.

The Sirius radio has a ALERT feature that works pretty cool. If you hear a song, you can tag it and Sirius will alert you when it or is playing on some other channel.

The HD fm radio works good. I tagged a song and it showed up in my iTunes under the tagged section after I sync'd my iPhone.

I'm real happy with the voice commands.

The Nav works good but haven't used it much.