Now that it's here - Trick or quirks you are finding

choff1138

I just bought my 2011 Edge yesterday. Thought I'd share two things I found slightly annoying.

The grip on the front doors (ie, the door handle) is very far forward, to me. It's closer to the pivot (the hinge) then any other car I've driven. Takes a little more leverage to close the door.

The turn signal column is just far enough away (far enough back) from the steering wheel, that in my relaxed, rest my hand on the wheel and drive, position, I can't reach it with my ring finger to click the signal on. It's just far enough away, where I have to change hand positions to flick it.

Aside from that, I'm having fun. More to come, I'm sure.

I just bought my 2011 Edge yesterday. Thought I'd share two things I found slightly annoying.

The grip on the front doors (ie, the door handle) is very far forward, to me. It's closer to the pivot (the hinge) then any other car I've driven. Takes a little more leverage to close the door.

The turn signal column is just far enough away (far enough back) from the steering wheel, that in my relaxed, rest my hand on the wheel and drive, position, I can't reach it with my ring finger to click the signal on. It's just far enough away, where I have to change hand positions to flick it.

Aside from that, I'm having fun. More to come, I'm sure.

I noticed the door handle placement also. It is a strange position (and the rubber is strange too)

I find that when I'm getting in and out of the car in a tight parking stall, it's awkward for me to grab the handle to prevent me from banging the door on the car next to me.

I'm used to grabbing the armrest and you can't do that on the Edge.

I've had my MKX for almost a month. Absolutely love it. Pretty much everything works as advertised. I can stream audio from my Blackberry including Pandora (but no corresponding Sync App) over Bluetooth. Voice commands work somewhat inconsistently, but better than most. Air conditioned seats are simply awesome. MyLincoln Touch system is incredible, and will be less dangerous after I learn how to use it :-)... The rearview camera and reverse sensing system is spot on - I can back into my garage without even turning my head. SelectShift transmission enables rocket mode - pretty impressive AWD launch for such a heavy vehicle. THX + HD Radio sounds great.

A couple quirks/questions:

•  
  • I cannot get the key fobs programmed to move to the driver 1 or 2 positions accordingly - even followed the steps in the manual for the Intelligent Access Memory feature (seat, mirrors and steering column). Anyone else have problems with this or did it just work? The dealer was clueless and the service tech had never even seen the '11 key fobs, so I'm scared to send it to service just for this...
  • The promo videos for the Touch system illustrated a built in web browser listed in the Sync Apps - where is it or how do I get it? Note I did get the system to connect to my wireless access point and in turn act as a wireless hotspot that I could connect to with my laptop - but to have a web browser built in would be very cool and useful to access sans a laptop...Promos also showed Pandora and Twitter Sync Apps - where are they???
  • If you turn on heated seats and turn off/exit the vehicle the heated seats don't turn on automagically when you re-enter/restart the vehicle, however the heated steering wheel does turn on automagically...
  • Yellow BLIS light is a bit difficult to see in daylight.
  • If I can connect to my own wireless access point, why can't Ford enable automated updates of Sync over the web just like they do on the assembly line?
  • The hazard light button is positioned poorly. It's right in the center of the console under the Touch screen, where people tend to rest their hand and inadvertently turn them on. I had to pull over to figure out how/where the hazard light button was...

If anyone has had success with the key fob memory feature, please share your experience.

Do not do step #4 in the programming process described in the owners manual!!!!

The manual gives the following instructions:

Programming the memory feature to the transmitter

To activate this feature:

1. Move the driver seat and power mirrors to the desired positions using

the associated controls.

2. Press and hold button 1 for five

seconds. A tone will be heard after

about two seconds confirming

memory position has been set.

Continue to hold until a second tone

is heard after five seconds.

3. Within three seconds press "icon for lock th door".

4. Press "icon for unlock" <---------- Do not do this!!!!!!! It actually clears the programing you just entered. Wait at least 20 seconds before you press unlock!.

5. Repeat this procedure for memory 2 and another transmitter if

desired.

Now when my wife presses unlock on her IA key, the seats and mirrors automatically move to her position and when I press unlock on mine, they change to my positions and I don't have to have my knees hitting he in the chest. Yeah!!

In case you wanted to know...

I take a security precaution on my wireless router by limiting the IP addresses that can be dynamically assigned, then assigning a device's MAC address to each available IP. I also have WPA security. So when I went to connect BluEdge, I needed her MAC address. A correspondence from the Sync Support Center proved fruitless. "Thank you for your email in regards to finding the MAC address. Unfortunately there is no way to find that information. The MyTouch system was just designed to search for wireless networks, and allows you to put in the wireless security key after."

Here are two ways to find an Edge with MyFordTouch MAC address: 1) attempt to connect your Edge to your wireless network; look in your router's logs for the connection attempt - whether successful or failed - may or may not be there (way too easy); 2) review the xml file that is created on your USB drive after an attempt at a Sync upgrade - buried in there is the wireless MAC address for the vehicle's system.

How is that Unfortunately there is no way to find that information? Do they think consumers are stoopid? What can I do now that I'm connected? Hey, it's a start! (There's a little wireless icon that displays to the left if the Information i at the bottom middle when you're connected.)

I take a security precaution on my wireless router by limiting the IP addresses that can be dynamically assigned, then assigning a device's MAC address to each available IP. I also have WPA security. So when I went to connect BluEdge, I needed her MAC address. A correspondence from the Sync Support Center proved fruitless. "Thank you for your email in regards to finding the MAC address. Unfortunately there is no way to find that information. The MyTouch system was just designed to search for wireless networks, and allows you to put in the wireless security key after."

Here are two ways to find an Edge with MyFordTouch MAC address: 1) attempt to connect your Edge to your wireless network; look in your router's logs for the connection attempt - whether successful or failed - may or may not be there (way too easy); 2) review the xml file that is created on your USB drive after an attempt at a Sync upgrade - buried in there is the wireless MAC address for the vehicle's system.

How is that Unfortunately there is no way to find that information? Do they think consumers are stoopid? What can I do now that I'm connected? Hey, it's a start! (There's a little wireless icon that displays to the left if the Information i at the bottom middle when you're connected.)

but other than creating a hot spot, what benefits are derived from connecting to the network?

Good info. I would have said to change your router setting to allow all and then see who is connected. Interesting info about the USB stick.

BTW, in a on-line chat with sync support, they said there is no update for the 11 Edge yet and that is why my attempts to report the install fails.

I've messed with the WiFi and determined that the WiFi is useless until they come out with the browser.

but other than creating a hot spot, what benefits are derived from connecting to the network?

Did you read my post? I asked "What can I do now that I'm connected?" Sheesh!

I've messed with the WiFi and determined that the WiFi is useless until they come out with the browser.

Cool. Now we wait. (can ya let this person know, please? bpattie)

The only advantages for the hotspot wifi network FOR NOW are

you can park near an office building or store while waiting for a meeting and suck the wifi for internet access (if open and no security)

you can use your phone internet to broadcast to passengers that might need the internet.

AND you could let your kids play xbox or something to distract them while you drive them to the psych clinic for gaming addiction rehab....

once the browser is released, it will have some more application but I cant see how good it would be to surf on the touchscreen except for quick searches for store stuff or directions(?) or phone numbers, etc. I would still boot the laptop or use my phone anyway.

What would be cool is if you could integrate some cool apps (map tracking family, friends), syncing stuff from the internet (home pc) to the car (kind of like using push data).

It will probably take some time for that stuff, but a development package for users would be good. It wouldnt be something Ford would do or be expected to do (they build cars, not software). Open it up for us software people to write code for like my andriod or iphone, etc.

It will probably take some time for that stuff, but a development package for users would be good. It wouldnt be something Ford would do or be expected to do (they build cars, not software). Open it up for us software people to write code for like my andriod or iphone, etc.

That's already been announced:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10385619-48.html

https://secure.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/Developer/Subscribe.aspx

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31625

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/04/20/ford-opens-up-sync-developer-network-for-android-and-blackberry/

Bummer!

I think the stupid ones are the service personel. This is real new tech and nobody at the dealership has any experience. That is something we will have to look out for when it comes to the Touch systems.

I would not limit it to only service personnel.

I got my '11 Edge SEL a couple of weeks ago. It came with MyFord Touch w/SYNC. I opted not to get one with a NAV because I would use the SYNC TDI services. But after reading the manual and registering online, I found out that TDI is not available in Canada. I decided that I wanted to add NAV.

After looking at some press releases from Ford and Telenav (NAV software developer for myTouch) and some forums, it implies that all you need is the SD card to activate the NAV as long as you have 8" MyTouch screen (which I have). After two weeks calling various dealers, Ford Canada Customer Service, Telenav; no one seem to be able to give me a straight answer. Actually, a few service managers told it would cost 4 grand to add NAV functions because of rewiring and reprogramming etc.

Still determined, I ended up with speaking to a Ford customer service rep in US. After checking my VIN, I was told that I only have a MyFord radio and even though I have an SD reader, it will only read Photos and music and not able to read the NAV software on the SD card if I could get one. I was also told that to have an '11 Edge with NAV, it has to be pre-installed at the factory and can not be added post sales. I still think I am not get a complete answer. What does a radio got to do with NAV, isn't MyTouch and SYNC all software driven and the NAV system is just a SYNC app with Maps and POI on the SD card?

I would not limit it to only service personnel.

I got my '11 Edge SEL a couple of weeks ago. It came with MyFord Touch w/SYNC. I opted not to get one with a NAV because I would use the SYNC TDI services. But after reading the manual and registering online, I found out that TDI is not available in Canada. I decided that I wanted to add NAV.

After looking at some press releases from Ford and Telenav (NAV software developer for myTouch) and some forums, it implies that all you need is the SD card to activate the NAV as long as you have 8" MyTouch screen (which I have). After two weeks calling various dealers, Ford Canada Customer Service, Telenav; no one seem to be able to give me a straight answer. Actually, a few service managers told it would cost 4 grand to add NAV functions because of rewiring and reprogramming etc.

Still determined, I ended up with speaking to a Ford customer service rep in US. After checking my VIN, I was told that I only have a MyFord radio and even though I have an SD reader, it will only read Photos and music and not able to read the NAV software on the SD card if I could get one. I was also told that to have an '11 Edge with NAV, it has to be pre-installed at the factory and can not be added post sales. I still think I am not get a complete answer. What does a radio got to do with NAV, isn't MyTouch and SYNC all software driven and the NAV system is just a SYNC app with Maps and POI on the SD card?

I received mixed answers, too. I thought I could just order the SD card since I had My Ford Touch. 2 sales guys told me no, so I ordered my Edge with it from the factory. It just came in yesterday and the salesman told me that it can be added after the car was built. Not that it mattered because they didn't have anything in stock with what I wanted.

I received mixed answers, too. I thought I could just order the SD card since I had My Ford Touch. 2 sales guys told me no, so I ordered my Edge with it from the factory. It just came in yesterday and the salesman told me that it can be added after the car was built. Not that it mattered because they didn't have anything in stock with what I wanted.

I checked with my dealer. I didn't want the leather seats on my SEL that were required to get the Nav. They eventually found out that currently Ford is not offering this as an upgrade but they thought that Ford is considering offering in in the future. They saw the SD card available (replacement) for around $300. However, that will not be usable until Ford decides to release an upgrade option. FYI, when they do I believe it will only require a software update to the MyTouch system. The software package for Navigation is not loaded. If I look at my system where it shows the software versions the Navigation software lines are there but the version numbers are blank.

For example:

I am considering adding the Remote start system. Fordaccessories.com has recently added the OE Remote Start for the 2011 Edge. The kit consists of an antenna, cable extension for the antenna, 2 new integrated fob keys with the remote start button on them and you also need a switch kit for the hood, $239 per the website w/o installation. Per the instructions everything plugs right into the car. Even though I didn't get it from the factory the wiring harness is already in place to add it. Once its installed the instructions say that the Ford techs have to plug the car up on the IDS system, which is Ford's Laptop based diagnostic system. When they plug this in they have to enable remote start. That portion of the instructions are pasted in below.

Remote Start Activation

29. Verify that the IDS is updated to the most current version.

30. Connect IDS.

• Follow the prompts to select new vehicle session.

• Enter VIN.

31. Activate the remote start using the IDS.

• Select the Tool Box icon.

• Select Body.

• Select Security.

• Select Remote Start.

• Verify that the information on the IDS screen is correct and all procedures have been followed.

• Select Yes. This will enable the remote start function on the vehicle.

I am thinking that the Navigation upgrade if and when they release it will be very similar to this upgrade.

I'm not sure I would get the nav upgrade anymore however because I think the TDI directions are probably good enough.

Jpelt

Ya. All the infrastructure is there and anything is configurable, but All these headaches because you didn't want leather??

Geez. I got leather because it is so easy to care for and dog hair doesn't stick to it.

When your spending boo coo $$$ on a car, Whats a few more for leather?

Edit:

Unless you are allergic to the "leather" used on the edge

Edited by wilsons66604

I checked with my dealer. I didn't want the leather seats on my SEL that were required to get the Nav. They eventually found out that currently Ford is not offering this as an upgrade but they thought that Ford is considering offering in in the future. They saw the SD card available (replacement) for around $300. However, that will not be usable until Ford decides to release an upgrade option. FYI, when they do I believe it will only require a software update to the MyTouch system. The software package for Navigation is not loaded. If I look at my system where it shows the software versions the Navigation software lines are there but the version numbers are blank.

For example:

I am considering adding the Remote start system. Fordaccessories.com has recently added the OE Remote Start for the 2011 Edge. The kit consists of an antenna, cable extension for the antenna, 2 new integrated fob keys with the remote start button on them and you also need a switch kit for the hood, $239 per the website w/o installation. Per the instructions everything plugs right into the car. Even though I didn't get it from the factory the wiring harness is already in place to add it. Once its installed the instructions say that the Ford techs have to plug the car up on the IDS system, which is Ford's Laptop based diagnostic system. When they plug this in they have to enable remote start. That portion of the instructions are pasted in below.

Remote Start Activation

29. Verify that the IDS is updated to the most current version.

30. Connect IDS.

• Follow the prompts to select new vehicle session.

• Enter VIN.

31. Activate the remote start using the IDS.

• Select the Tool Box icon.

• Select Body.

• Select Security.

• Select Remote Start.

• Verify that the information on the IDS screen is correct and all procedures have been followed.

• Select Yes. This will enable the remote start function on the vehicle.

I am thinking that the Navigation upgrade if and when they release it will be very similar to this upgrade.

I'm not sure I would get the nav upgrade anymore however because I think the TDI directions are probably good enough.

Not to change the subject but this is the type of response I would like when asking if the DRL's for the American cars can be turned on. Thanks

Not to change the subject but this is the type of response I would like when asking if the DRL's for the American cars can be turned on. Thanks

Exactly! we shouldn't except "no" as an answer when it comes to mods.

By the way, I have a speedometer that tops out at 140 mph!?!? Is there a governor that will prevent me from going over 90 or so? Can I actually obtain 140? Holy crap! I spent big bucks to drive a NASCAR to 140 mph at Lowes speedway. Can I do that on Interstate 70 in my edge???

Edit:

I'll try it later. This second box of wine has got me kinda messed up! :rockon:

Edited by wilsons66604

Exactly! we shouldn't except "no" as an answer when it comes to mods.

By the way, I have a speedometer that tops out at 140 mph!?!? Is there a governor that will prevent me from going over 90 or so? Can I actually obtain 140? Holy crap! I spent big bucks to drive a NASCAR to 140 mph at Lowes speedway. Can I do that on Interstate 70 in my edge???

Edit:

I'll try it later. This second box of wine has got me kinda messed up! :rockon:

Sorry but this drives me nuts. It's "accept", not "except".

The only advantages for the hotspot wifi network FOR NOW are

you can park near an office building or store while waiting for a meeting and suck the wifi for internet access (if open and no security)

you can use your phone internet to broadcast to passengers that might need the internet.

AND you could let your kids play xbox or something to distract them while you drive them to the psych clinic for gaming addiction rehab....

once the browser is released, it will have some more application but I cant see how good it would be to surf on the touchscreen except for quick searches for store stuff or directions(?) or phone numbers, etc. I would still boot the laptop or use my phone anyway.

What would be cool is if you could integrate some cool apps (map tracking family, friends), syncing stuff from the internet (home pc) to the car (kind of like using push data).

I found another use for the WiFI...

I rigged my Edge with an iPad mount anchored to the passenger seat and for some reason i couldn't get a 3G connection. So I managed to tether my iPhone 4 to the Edge's Wifi router (using PAN and iPhone BT) and connected the iPad to the Edge's Wifi and voila I was able to browser the Web on iPad (I was in park of course). I wouldn't recommend using Audio Streaming and a NAV app on the iPad at the same time as there is a lot of Bluetooth traffic inside the vehicle and the music jitters like crazy.

Another thing to note.... It seems you can only have one BT device to stream audio but It is possible to use the iPhone for just phone functions and another BT device to do audio stream. The trick is to connect the phone after the second BT device is connected.

I found another use for the WiFI...

I rigged my Edge with an iPad mount anchored to the passenger seat and for some reason i couldn't get a 3G connection. So I managed to tether my iPhone 4 to the Edge's Wifi router (using PAN and iPhone BT) and connected the iPad to the Edge's Wifi and voila I was able to browser the Web on iPad (I was in park of course). I wouldn't recommend using Audio Streaming and a NAV app on the iPad at the same time as there is a lot of Bluetooth traffic inside the vehicle and the music jitters like crazy.

Another thing to note.... It seems you can only have one BT device to stream audio but It is possible to use the iPhone for just phone functions and another BT device to do audio stream. The trick is to connect the phone after the second BT device is connected.

Whoa dude this is just too complicated for the general population. My iPad has the 3G option and I'll let it connect to the world on it's own. I tried connecting with my jail broken iPhone 4 and then my ipad to it ...yada yada...but it was such a hassle, I gave up.

If the update ever comes out for the mytouch browser then I'll deal with the wifi setup in the edge.

Whoa dude this is just too complicated for the general population. My iPad has the 3G option and I'll let it connect to the world on it's own. I tried connecting with my jail broken iPhone 4 and then my ipad to it ...yada yada...but it was such a hassle, I gave up.

If the update ever comes out for the mytouch browser then I'll deal with the wifi setup in the edge.

Laff, I hear ya. It is too complicated. It took about 20 mins to get it all working but I was in a pinch since the iPad 3G wasn't working at the time. I was amazed that iPhone tethering worked with the Edge's WiFi router. it is too bad its only via Bluetooth and not USB.

Can someone tell me what they see under Menu/Settings/Wireless Internet/Bluetooth App/Internet Data Connection?

The first time I went there there was a lot of information that briefly displayed on the screen but ever since then that screen has just been blank. Any idea what an Internet Data Connection is going to provide? BTW, this is on an MKX with a connected smartphone.

I am very impressed with the MyLincoln Touch system so far. It's been far less flakey than I feared it might be. I do feel I have to press too hard on the screen and there has been times when the back arrow function while in Settings goes all the way back to the phone menu instead of the previous settings screen but nothing serious.

Can someone tell me what they see under Menu/Settings/Wireless Internet/Bluetooth App/Internet Data Connection?

The first time I went there there was a lot of information that briefly displayed on the screen but ever since then that screen has just been blank. Any idea what an Internet Data Connection is going to provide? BTW, this is on an MKX with a connected smartphone.

I am very impressed with the MyLincoln Touch system so far. It's been far less flakey than I feared it might be. I do feel I have to press too hard on the screen and there has been times when the back arrow function while in Settings goes all the way back to the phone menu instead of the previous settings screen but nothing serious.

A screen flashes then ends up being blank.

I did notice that one setting was for DUN before it went blank