Is Anyone Satisfied With Their Edge?

The6thTemp

Is this MFT really that bad in earlier versions? Or is it a hit or miss kinda thing? Mine had the latest 2.11 installed prior to picking it up new just last week, and I've experienced none of these "issues" *knock on wood*....

Same here, I've had my 2012 Limited Ecoboost for about 2 weeks now and it works great. The overall quality of the car is impressive. Everybody who's been inside can't stop saying how beautiful it is. It has more technology and "toys" than most cars out there. On the MFT side of things, I did have 1 "system is preforming schedule maintenance" reboot that happened out of the blue and lasted about 2 minutes. Other than that, it's been flawless. As for the lag, it is a computer and sometimes if you preform many tasks at the same time, it can take be a fraction of a second to respond after you touch the screen. Be patient and don' t press the buttons a bunch of times.

Overall, very happy with my new Edge!!

I have had my 2011 SEL with MFT now for two months. I LUV IT! I traded in my 09 Honda Civic EX-L. Great car but hated the wind and road noise. I also wanted something better in the snow. So I opted for AWD. Can't wait to see how it handles in the snow here in BC. I've had no issues with MFT so far other than trying to load Sirius browsing. It takes forever to download. Does anyone know if the new upgrade fixes that? All in all gas mileage is ok. So far I'm averaging about 26 mpg combined driving. I've ordered the window visors but I'm curious if they will increase wind noise?? Does anyone know? Anyhow I love reading the forum have been creeping here for about a month before writing.

I'm so happy I bought the Edge!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I'm just a few weeks away from owing my 2011 LTD for a year now, I can honestly say I still love this car and it was certainly the right purchase for me.

Sure there's been some quirks with MFT as I've gone from 2.4 to 2.11, now and overall I've been very happy. Is it perfect? No. There has been some lag at times in the past but my new laptop had lag yesterday as well. I've yet to find perfection in anything and generally speaking am not looking for it. There have a been a few times over the last year that it didn't recognize my iPhone, few being less than 10. Always turning the car off and restarting it has corrected this condition.

I've never experienced my back up camera not working.

It has restarted itself a handful of times over the last year but it's never failed to restart. A few minutes out of my life waiting for it to come active again just isn't a big deal to me.

All in all it's been a pretty good experience and in retrospect, I would be happy to make this purchase again.

I do wish they'd gone to Apple instead of Microsoft for the MFT rewrite; you know Apple would not have used Flash.

• Like 2

We have had our 2007 Ford Edge SEL with 18" Chrome Clad rims and Vista Roof for just over 2 weeks now and have put over 1300 miles on it in town and interstate driving.

1) I HATE the headrests, but have found you can reverse them if need be, which is what I am doing as I am 6'7" tall and NEVER comfortable otherwise. It is amazing that Ford used fixed headrests coming from BMW, Jaguar, Audi, and even older Ford and Asian market cars and trucks. I hate them because I have ended up with head aches from the headrests hitting either my shoulders WRONG, Rubbing hard on my brain stem, or not truely supporting my neck at all.

2) I do Like The Power of the engine, but HATE the transmission which is not smooth at all when you must give it some more power and it seems DUMB and cannot find a gear to shift back into and feels like it slips. This is not inspiring at all.

3) Love the Vista Roof, but worry about prolonged usage and reliability of the tracks breaking, which is always a concern with such a heavy and large glass roof to move.

4) Stereo is Fantastic for stock with great sound quality (I used to be a DJ/EMCEE, and also do Audio / Video Production work and have for some 15 years now).

5) Cabin is rather quiet considering ride height, tire and wheel size, and having one huge as heck moonroof.

6) Gas Mileage SUCKS ass coming from a daily driver Saturn SC2, and as it should, but not this damn bad. Now getting 15mpg or just over 15mpg in town driving like a hypermiler. :)

7) Engine and basic repairs are easy to perform minus those rear Spark Plugs, but alas that is the problem with a trasverse mounted FWD V6, or V8 engine. At least it is nothing like some old Small Block or big block engines, just nowhere near as easy as my Jaguar XJ8, past BMW cars, parents Audi A8, 85 Dodge Ram D250 van with a 5.2l 318 Small Block V8 :)

8) Underside of the edge is a mechanics dream with intuitive locations for oil and transmission changes though and exhaust is not in the way like some other FWD vehicles I have worked on. Oil filter is not stuck up in the sky or over some confounded Axle half Shaft. :)

9) One nice thing also is that with the Edge you can actually change the headlight bulbs without taking out the entire engine bay (I.E. some other SUVs, CUVs, also see Newer VW Beetle (aka BUG) which are pains in the A$$.

NOW ONTO my questions....

We just swapped the OEM Continental Crosscontact LX 245/60/18 tires that were worn out at 40,000 Miles (Typical from reading here and elsewhere), to some Cooper Discoverer CTS 245/60/18 tires and gas mileage took a MAJOR DIVE and so did cornering feel with much more body roll. I realize this is no sports car by any means but DO NOT get the Cooper Discovere CTS tires for this reason.

This was bought to be our new family vehicle, and I am having a hard time coming to grips of course with the less the stellar gas mileage, especially the 20.6 - 21.6 Miles we have averaged on 2 interstate trips (Computer and actual calculated MPG lower being the calculated MPG).

We are now averaging just around 15mpg with the Cooper Tires which I will be taking back thanks to Cooper's 45 day ride and drive warranty deal.

I unfortunately will be keeping the Edge, but need feedback on LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) TIres ASAP!

Looking at the following Tires all in 245/60/18 size for the 18 x 7.5 Chrome Clad Limited Edge Wheels...

1) Michelin Latitude

2) Continental Crosscontact LX20

3) Yokohama Avid Envigor

Thanks for the help, and hope this helps others,

Our 07 Edge has just over 40,350 miles now, and please feel free to call or email me.

Jared Seymour

Lexington, KY (Eastern Standard Time)

Cell: (859) 492-3926

Email: ConcreteJunglePerformance@yahoo.com

• Like 1

We just swapped the OEM Continental Crosscontact LX 245/60/18 tires that were worn out at 40,000 Miles (Typical from reading here and elsewhere), to some Cooper Discoverer CTS 245/60/18 tires and gas mileage took a MAJOR DIVE and so did cornering feel with much more body roll. I realize this is no sports car by any means but DO NOT get the Cooper Discovere CTS tires for this reason.

I unfortunately will be keeping the Edge, but need feedback on LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) TIres ASAP!

Looking at the following Tires all in 245/60/18 size for the 18 x 7.5 Chrome Clad Limited Edge Wheels...

1) Michelin Latitude

3) Yokohama Avid Envigor

Just had the same problem replacing the Michelin HX MXM4s on my Fusion with BFG super sport A/S. Lost at least 2 mpg right off the bat. Did not realize tires played such a big part.

We have the Latitudes on our 08 Edge and they've been great so far. I do think I have a bad belt in one making lots of noise but that was most likely due to a nail puncture. They're not cheap but they're great tires IMO. Not sure about the other two - check tirerack.com for user survey ratings.

Just had the same problem replacing the Michelin HX MXM4s on my Fusion with BFG super sport A/S. Lost at least 2 mpg right off the bat. Did not realize tires played such a big part.

We have the Latitudes on our 08 Edge and they've been great so far. I do think I have a bad belt in one making lots of noise but that was most likely due to a nail puncture. They're not cheap but they're great tires IMO. Not sure about the other two - check tirerack.com for user survey ratings.

Already read the reviews on all the usual suspects on, Tirerack.com, Onlinetires.com, tyrereviews.com, Discounttire.com, Tirecrawler.com, and a slew of other wholesellers, and TreadDepot.com. Tread Depot had a review stating that the owners Edge took a 2-3mpg hit on the Cooper Tires, but the price was a determiner, but looks like that determiner will be changed as I like a stiffer side wall and a ultra low rolling resistance.

Looks like Michelin Latitude Tour HP, or the New Continental Crosscontact LX20 (NOT LX) are in my future, or for now running the 22 x 9.5 KMC 127 DIme wheels and tires I have.

Thanks

Jared

• 2 weeks later...

1) Michelin Latitude

3) Yokohama Avid Envigor

The Michelin Latitudes are not available in the 245 60 18 tire size as a LRR eco tire. Only option we truly have is either the old Continental Crosscontact LX or its much better replacement Continental CrossContact LX20.

I am returning my Coopers for sure is at all possible this week, and they still are getting crappy gas mileage compared to the old Conti CrossContact LX tires and sidewall stiffness on most tires that are 245 60 18 are TERRIBLE except for the Continentals Cross Contacts so far that I have seen first hand.

Just some FYI...

Stuck with the Edge though for sure as the wife loves it.

1) I still hate the Transmission and its piss poor performance when it comes to searching for a gear WAY too much!

2) Hate the Fixed Headrests for those of us that like adjustments!

3) SCREW the rear spark plugs changing, that is absolute ingenuity on Ford's part. YEAH RIGHT!

Only thing worse for rear spark plugs to change I have ever worked on is a Mitsubishi 3000gt aka Dodge Stealth!!!

Edited by ConcreteJunglePerformance
  • Like 1

1) Michelin Latitude

3) Yokohama Avid Envigor

The Michelin Latitudes are not available in the 245 60 18 tire size as a LRR eco tire. Only option we truly have is either the old Continental Crosscontact LX or its much better replacement Continental CrossContact LX20.

I am returning my Coopers for sure is at all possible this week, and they still are getting crappy gas mileage compared to the old Conti CrossContact LX tires and sidewall stiffness on most tires that are 245 60 18 are TERRIBLE except for the Continentals Cross Contacts so far that I have seen first hand.

Just some FYI...

1) I still hate the Transmission and its piss poor performance when it comes to searching for a gear WAY too much!

3) SCREW the rear spark plugs changing, that is absolute ingenuity on Ford's part. YEAH RIGHT!

Only thing worse for rear spark plugs to change I have ever worked on is a Mitsubishi 3000gt aka Dodge Stealth!!!

Yeah, replace the back passenger's side plug on a SOHC 4.0 Explorer and then tell me that.

And try Toyos.

1) Michelin Latitude

3) Yokohama Avid Envigor

Both the Latitude Tour and Latitude Tour HP are available in 245/60/18 size and I believe the Latitude Tour is LRR.

1) Michelin Latitude

3) Yokohama Avid Envigor

Just some FYI...

+)( I still hate the Transmission and its piss poor performance when it comes to searching for a gear WAY too much)(+

Just finished a 8,000KM trip to Florida and back, driving through Virginia West Virginia, North and South Carolina mountain terrain and found no issue with the tranny hunting for gears, cruise on 95% of the time, 60 to 70 MPH,....2010 FWD SEL

Edited by 1duFos

• 2 weeks later...

We've had 2012 Limited for just over a week now; still loving it.

The only quirks so far have been a flaky rear hatch which doesn't always close, and a couple of random MFT reboots. I guess that's expected since it's based on Microsoft WinCE.

Compared to touchscreens like Apple and Android phones and tablets, MFT is a piece of crap. Slow to respond, not intuitive. But it's still better than what you can get in much more expensive cars-- for example Mercedes touchscreen computer system is a huge steaming pile of ___.

I love the overall look of the instrument panel and console though-- very sleek! I don't mind the touch controls but I haven't tried them with gloves on.

Anyway, I like that Ford allows users to upgrade their own software, and once you learn your way around it's not that bad; though I'm really looking forward to the version 2.0 upgrade in a couple months.

As far as the rest of the car, it's smooth, very quiet, rides great, and much better for hauling the baby without sacrificing legroom anywhere in the car.

We've had 2012 Limited for just over a week now; still loving it.

The only quirks so far have been a flaky rear hatch which doesn't always close, and a couple of random MFT reboots. I guess that's expected since it's based on Microsoft WinCE.

Compared to touchscreens like Apple and Android phones and tablets, MFT is a piece of crap. Slow to respond, not intuitive. But it's still better than what you can get in much more expensive cars-- for example Mercedes touchscreen computer system is a huge steaming pile of ___.

I love the overall look of the instrument panel and console though-- very sleek! I don't mind the touch controls but I haven't tried them with gloves on.

Anyway, I like that Ford allows users to upgrade their own software, and once you learn your way around it's not that bad; though I'm really looking forward to the version 2.0 upgrade in a couple months.

As far as the rest of the car, it's smooth, very quiet, rides great, and much better for hauling the baby without sacrificing legroom anywhere in the car.

Greetings............we are about 6 months into our '11 Edge Sport. Overall, a positive experience. A perfect experience, certainly not, but it's meeting our expectations as I did a ton of research up front and new going in the door that Sync/MFT occasionally will be glitchy. And sure enough, it has been. Also knew that a software fix is on it's way so that would work it's way thru over time. I am a bit amused by some of the posts throughout several discussion topics, depending of course on what one pays for their particular model of Edge, but for folks to assume that $35k to $45k buys a perfect vehicle is just not realistic. Especially given all the gizmos these days that come with most vehicles, there is no way to expect perfection. I'm with you though on the touchscreen, hard to understand why Ford couldn't emulate a tablet like screen rather than the spongy finger print mess screen they have now. It's so baffling to me on application, that therehas to be some insider reason for it, it just doesn't make sense otherwise. The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with impact and what happens in a full wreck, I'm not sure I'd want an I-phone like screen shattering into a million pieces and heading for my wifes or my head. For those suffering from actual physical (non-software tech items) issues in the vehicle, I feel for them especially if the dealership is poor on the fixes. We are spoiled here in Portland, as one dealer in particular for Ford's is just on the cutting edge of maintenance and service and they have a system down, it's so good it's scary on how fast they can boot a car back out onto the road. I bought Ford again after owning a 1995 Explorer that I ejected from my life in '98, and the reason i came back to Ford isn't Ford, it was how the dealer handled it's business (the Explorer was a nighmare to own) for me during the Explorer phase I went thru. Good luck to you and Happy Holidays

we have had our edge (2007 awd se) for 2.5 years. It has not given us one problem. it has hauled me and my familly from Ohio to NY, VT, FL, and surrounding areas. I have only had to perform routine maintenance (oil changes, wiper blades, etc). I recently replaced the tires with some Michelins and they have done well so far. We will see when the snow really flies.

We have been thinking about a bigger suv since the familly has grown, but i just can't part with the Edge since it has been the best (as far as no issues, and minimal maintenance fees) vehicle i have ever owned.

Hello Everyone,

I just bought my 2011 Edge Sport a little over a week ago and even before I bought it I was a member here. I've been reading a lot about the issues many people have been having with their Edge and I was just wondering if there are people who are completely satisfied with their Edge and how long have you had it?

Thanks for your time everyone!!

I bought my 2011 Edge for one reason.....I was told by the salesman that it was "Flat towable" behind my RV. I also did my homework on this subject and all sources supported what Ford says.

The truth of the matter is that if you follow the owners manual to the letter you will NOT be able to start the Edge at the end of the first day. The car's battery will be DEAD!

The manual needs to be re-written, the dealers and Ford mechanics need to be advised and Ford needs to find a FIX.

My experiences with this dead battery problem can be read in many of the submissions in this forum. Based on the number of Edge owners with the same problem I would say the problem is inherent in the design and to date Ford cannot (will not) tell me what the cause is or how to fix it.

Had I known about this problem before, I would have bought a Jeep product instead.

Otherwise, I like the car.

Not happy in Pensacola.

Edited by g-man54

I bought my 2011 Edge for one reason.....I was told by the salesman that it was "Flat towable" behind an RV. I also did my homework on this question and all sources supported what Ford says.

The truth of the matter is that if you follow the owners manual to the letter you will NOT be able to start the Edge at the end of the first day. The car's battery will be DEAD!

The manual needs to be re-written, the dealers and Ford mechanics need to be advised and Ford needs to find a FIX.

My experiences with this dead battery problem can be read in many of the submissions in this forum. Based on the number of Edge owners with the same problem I would say the problem is inherent in the design and to date Ford cannot (will not) tell me what the cause is or how to fix it.

Had I known about this problem before, I would have bought a Jeep product instead.

Otherwise, I like the car.

Not happy in Pensacola.

It sucks that you are having issues, but hitting every thread with this isn't going to fix it. Hope you able to find an answer to your battery issue.

It sucks that you are having issues, but hitting every thread with this isn't going to fix it. Hope you able to find an answer to your battery issue.

If hitting every thread gets Fords attention then so be it. So far, above the local dealer level Ford won't even acknowledge they have a problem.

Until then, I'll continue being the squeaky wheel.

If hitting every thread gets Fords attention then so be it. So far, above the local dealer level Ford won't even acknowledge they have a problem.

But Ford doesn't monitor this site - you would be squeaker on a Ford facebook page or twitter account. I hope you get the help you are looking for.

Ford does follow the Explorer forum www.explorerforum.com and they do contribute by posting etc.Why they are not here? the new Explorer are having their major issues so maybe they are there to help a new vehicle through its teething pains...MFT etc.

Not here you won't. You've made your point and shared your information already - multiple times. Enough is enough. Nothing you post here is going to have any impact with Ford.

If you have new information to share or a resolution please post it - otherwise let it be.