Piddly but annoying... cargo cover

katandcharlie

You can't go by any of the pics. I'm assuming this is a place that makes covers for many vehicles. If you look closely at the pics, they are all different covers and the vehicle isn't even an Edge...you can see wheel wells in the trunk.

Ā 

This doesn't mean it isn't a good unit, but who knows that's the problem.

Ā 

My factory cover was taken out the first week and I don't even know where it is. The original is a complete piece of crap!! Its obvious it is an afterthought as it doesn't even have proper connections on the body. I didn't think of the mod idea though. I have the cover from my old Nissan Rogue that would be close. I may check that out tonight.

Ā 

Combined with aftermarket and factory tint, I've got 7% in the back and trunk, so good luck seeing what I have in there anyway. The cover does make it look more neat and tidy though.

I'm still trying to figure out why that cargo floor mat always, always, always ends up shifted over to one side where it covers up the hatch close switch!

Ā 

Put the hook side of some Velcro in the front corners and that should take care of it. It may fuzz up your carpet if you remove it a lot though. It is surprising it moves on you though. Mine doesn't go anywhere. Do you have a plastic sheet or anything under it for it to slide on?

You can't go by any of the pics. I'm assuming this is a place that makes covers for many vehicles. If you look closely at the pics, they are all different covers and the vehicle isn't even an Edge...you can see wheel wells in the trunk.

Ā 

That's why I contacted the seller. It was obvious from the pic of it installed it was not the 2011 Edge. But the other picture provided is of the actual unit and so are the installation instructions. I wasn't willing to take the leap of faith on it but I was hoping whomever purchased it from Ebay is here and will post their results.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the cover, but when I received it, it was missing the mounts for it. I contacted the person I bought it from, but since it is Chinese New Year, it will be a couple of weeks until I get the mounts for it. Once I get the correct parts and install it, I'll post a review and some pics.

Awesome...was hoping it was someone on here. Really liked my retractable shade on my LGT and would love to have one on the Edge but didn't want to take the chance of drilling the panels for an ill fitting cover. How does it look so far? Pretty good construction? Does the general shape look right?

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the cover, but when I received it, it was missing the mounts for it. I contacted the person I bought it from, but since it is Chinese New Year, it will be a couple of weeks until I get the mounts for it. Once I get the correct parts and install it, I'll post a review and some pics.

Ā 

Have you received the mounts yet? I contacted the vendor (China) and he sent me a picture of the parts. I'd love to learn about your installation - what it looks like, how difficult it was to installing the mounting hardware, whether it is functional, high quality, etc.?

Ā 

Tom

Just go to K-Marts and get a window spring rod that wil open up to 60 in. ,weave it around the elastic bands and install it behind the rear head rests just aft of the safety bets. You can now drop the back seats and stil hae the cargo cover up. Doug.

Ā 

Ā 

Well I got some more info from the seller. I had sent him some photos of our 2011 cargo area showing that it appears to be different than what they show in the Ebay auction and requested more detailed pics of the install. He wasn't able to provide those but did provide this picture of the installation and translation.

Ā 

Parts

A, the rear cargo cover

B, The base connecting with the car

C, The rear base connecting with the car

D, handle bar of the rear cargo cover

E, rear seat of the car

F, REAR hook working with part C

G, the car door

Ā 

Install guide

step 1, fix B1, B2 & A, make sure the distance between A & E is 2-3cm, locate the B1 at place of proper height.

step 2, after fixing the B1 into the car, ask another person to pull the cover to proper location of the rear cargo box door, make sure the distance from F1 to the car and distance from F2 to the car is equal. another person locate the B1 & B2 at the same height place.

step 3, pull D to the proper location of the rear cargo box door, and locate the C1 at the same hight place of B1

step 4, hook the F1 on the above of C1, pull open the cover then fix C2

Ā 

There is install parts(screws etc.,) coming with the cover

Ā 

Just not sure I am willing to spend $100 on something that will require me to screw into the cargo area, especially when I can't confirm the fit is good in the first place. Oh well, thought this might be useful to someone who is more adventuresome than me.

Get ypur self a window spring rod from K-MARTS that will open up to 60in. weave it around the elastic bands that would normally attach to theheadrest and install it as normal , you can now lower the back seats without removing the cover. Doug.

Ā 

Ā 

I know this is very piddly but it is a thorn in my side. My 2011 MKX has the cheapest plastic cargo cover I have ever seen. To secure the cover (which is, literally, a cheap piece of plastic type material, kind of like very bad faux leather) you have to slide the attached elastic bands over the rear seat headrests and then you have to cram plastic hooks between the rear side windows and inside plastic panel to secure the side of the cover. At the trunk end you secure the cover with elastic cords on the same hooks that the cargo netting attaches to. With the cargo cover in place you can not put the rear seats down because the elastic bands are attached to the headrest. I am completely disappointed that Ford/Lincoln would stoop to such a shoddy design and material. Do any of you with the Edge have a cargo cover and, if so, it is the same type material and process to "instal"?

Ā 

I am so annoyed that I FINALLY have a luxury vehicle and it has Yugo accessories!

Ā 

Katherine

Have you received the mounts yet? I contacted the vendor (China) and he sent me a picture of the parts. I'd love to learn about your installation - what it looks like, how difficult it was to installing the mounting hardware, whether it is functional, high quality, etc.?

Ā 

Tom

The mounts were shipped last week from China and tracking shows they arrived in San Francisco today. Hopefully, I will have them sometime this week.

Edited by jrunde

I received the mounts from the retractable cover I bought on eBay and have the cover installed. I'll try to get some pics over the weekend.

Ā 

To mount it, they supply 8 "wood" screws. I just drilled a few small pilot holes for each mount and used the supplied screws. I don't know how long they will hold as I felt like if I tightened the screws to much it would just strip out the hole.

Ā 

If you do have a power lift gate, the cover is kind of awkward to use as you have to angle the cover to get past the lift gate rod as their is a solid rod through the cover.

Edited by jrunde

• 1 month later...

I received the mounts from the retractable cover I bought on eBay and have the cover installed. I'll try to get some pics over the weekend.

Ā 

To mount it, they supply 8 "wood" screws. I just drilled a few small pilot holes for each mount and used the supplied screws. I don't know how long they will hold as I felt like if I tightened the screws to much it would just strip out the hole.

Ā 

If you do have a power lift gate, the cover is kind of awkward to use as you have to angle the cover to get past the lift gate rod as their is a solid rod through the cover.

I would be very interested in the pictures, as well as any comments/review that you could provide.

Ā 

Tom

I would be very interested in the pictures, as well as any comments/review that you could provide.

Ā 

Tom

Ā 

Hey Tom,

Do a search, I'm pretty sure that pictures have already been posted in the past. I haven't seen the cover in person, but it IS NOT a rollup type, it connects to backm seat headrests, and to the rear closest to the liftgate. I plan to get one before summer, planning some road trips, would like to conceal luggage.

Joe

• 10 months later...

The only problem I see, is how are you going to secure the rear portion? T think that Lexus (RX350) has side bars (attach to walls of car on each side) are all 1 piece.ight look into it. Better yet design and manufacture a system that will retro-fit Edge's & MKX's, and make a cool million or two !

• 1 year later...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hey buddy did you ever get around to posting those pics?

• 1 year later...

My Grand Cherokee has the nice rollup type that pop in and out and hooks in to secure. I think I used it twice in the last 13 years. I still like the idea of it being there. I'm kind of glad the Edge doesn't have one if it's that bad.

I guess I'll use the Jeep when I'm transporting my diamond encrusted gold bars around.

Seriously, I like the black blanket idea. You really can't see much through the tinted windows.