Piddly but annoying... cargo cover

katandcharlie

Althought I'm no fan of the cover, the cover provides added security to the cargo area. I used blankets, but always worried some moron walking by might see the hump under the blanket and break in. The cover hides anything stored in the cargo area.

I've owned a couple of Explorers and a Volvo which used the spring loaded assembly to store the cargo cover. They work very well, but when you carry a fill cargo load, where do you store the assembly? Yup, ran into the problem a few times.

• 1 month later...

I also have a MKX. I saw how the cargo cover fit at the dealership and thought it was laughable.

Since I have a black interior I went to Target and bought a cheap $20 black microfiber throw blanket. It works great, looks good even when the hatch is open, fits under the cargo lid next to the spare tire when I'm not using it, and I can throw it in the washing machine when it gets dirty.

I did the same thing. I took the cover out and left it in my garage. I now carry a black blanket in the back to cover anything back there.

I just looked this thing up. What a pain! Does not even roll up on it's own. Now I appreciate the one I had in the Blazer, it rolled up like a window shade and was mounted to the walls behind the back seat. I think Infinity has shades like that. The blanket is a good idea.

My 97 Explorer had the same thing, so Ford knows how to build them. Not sure why they didn't do them for the Edge or other new CUVs/SUVs.

My 97 Explorer had the same thing, so Ford knows how to build them. Not sure why they didn't do them for the Edge or other new CUVs/SUVs.

To use one that operates like that it would almost work better to have hooks on the walls of the cargo area and have it run side to side instead of front to back, at least it would not be on the headrests.

That was the original speculation but all you need to do is move it back about 8 inches. I'm starting to think it just wasn't a priority and they had lots more to worry about.

I agree but then I got to thinking....

Is this cover new for 2011? The Edge has been around for quite a while. Has there been no cover for previous models?

At least the cargo cover functions as advertised. It's flimsy but functional.

This is a little off-topic, but as bad as the cargo cover is, the rubberized cargo floor mat is actually really good. My initial impression was that it seemed kind of thin and flimsy. But after a year of use i can tell you that it's really grippy (the groceries don't slide all over the place), it stays in place and dosen't rid up on the sides at all, and is easy to clean. I put it right over the fancy carpeted mat, and pull it out and toss it in the garage when I want the cargo area to look it's best.

This is a little off-topic, but as bad as the cargo cover is, the rubberized cargo floor mat is actually really good. My initial impression was that it seemed kind of thin and flimsy. But after a year of use i can tell you that it's really grippy (the groceries don't slide all over the place), it stays in place and dosen't rid up on the sides at all, and is easy to clean. I put it right over the fancy carpeted mat, and pull it out and toss it in the garage when I want the cargo area to look it's best.

I'm still trying to figure out why that cargo floor mat always, always, always ends up shifted over to one side where it covers up the hatch close switch!

I'm still trying to figure out why that cargo floor mat always, always, always ends up shifted over to one side where it covers up the hatch close switch!

Mine stays put.

Are you taking those left hand turns a little too fast? :-)

CORRECTION:

That should be RIGHT hand turns that make the mat slide to the left.

(I guess I had NASCAR on my mind)

Edited by wilsons66604

• 1 month later...

I got tired of the elastic bands around the headrests so I sewed on a strip of Velcro on the leading edge which just grips the carpeted seat back. On the side wings I did the same and then attached adhesive backed Velcro into the window sills to hold them securely. It works well and keeps the cover straight which was my biggest peeve. If anyone's interested I'll post photos .

Can you post some pics?

Thanks,bud,

Joe

I use the cargo cover. That's why I put the rear headrests back in. The velcro solution would let me go w/o the headrests.

EdgieGuy, How's your solution holding up? Have you driven fast with the windows down? I'm concerned that the cover would get sucked out of the BMR if it's not secure.

I know from experience that objects will get sucked out though the BMR!

I got the cargo cover as part of the deal. I didn't pay a penny for it. I told my fiance when she got home from work that I would be pissed if I had to pay for it. I agree I have never seen anything that cheap from Ford. As long as I can remember they all Ford SUV's have come with the roll up type all the way back to my moms old 1986 Ford Bronco II. they all came with pretty much the same style. 1998 Ford Exploder, 2000 Mercury Mountaineer, 2002 Mercury Mountaineer, 2004 Ford Escape.......

Will have to do some investigating on this one, looks pretty good, will have to check out mounting (spring loaded would be nice), and if it would effect the reclining rear seat feature.

If you look at the listing pic you'll notice the small flap of fabric has loops on it to attache to the head rests but also has a split so you should be able to recline each section independently. What I didn't get a chance to check out yet is if there are mounts back there that support the retractable section and the flap when you pull it out. Somewhat concerned because even though it says 2011 I don't think my head rests look like that. I am almost positive the center one is much bigger. So I wonder if anything else may have changed from prior models that might make this a no go.

Well I got some more info from the seller. I had sent him some photos of our 2011 cargo area showing that it appears to be different than what they show in the Ebay auction and requested more detailed pics of the install. He wasn't able to provide those but did provide this picture of the installation and translation.

Parts

A, the rear cargo cover

B, The base connecting with the car

C, The rear base connecting with the car

D, handle bar of the rear cargo cover

E, rear seat of the car

F, REAR hook working with part C

G, the car door

Install guide

step 1, fix B1, B2 & A, make sure the distance between A & E is 2-3cm, locate the B1 at place of proper height.

step 2, after fixing the B1 into the car, ask another person to pull the cover to proper location of the rear cargo box door, make sure the distance from F1 to the car and distance from F2 to the car is equal. another person locate the B1 & B2 at the same height place.

step 3, pull D to the proper location of the rear cargo box door, and locate the C1 at the same hight place of B1

step 4, hook the F1 on the above of C1, pull open the cover then fix C2

There is install parts(screws etc.,) coming with the cover

Just not sure I am willing to spend $100 on something that will require me to screw into the cargo area, especially when I can't confirm the fit is good in the first place. Oh well, thought this might be useful to someone who is more adventuresome than me.

post-15776-0-10253200-1325690878_thumb.jpg