why is my edge hard on fuel?

fordsucks

i have a 2009 ford edge and it has become horrible on fuel in town, we average 300 kms or less on a tank of gas. nobody has been able to find the problems and its becoming very frustrating im hoping somone can come up with some ideas to try?

Maybe it knows your username.......

My 2007 edge never gets past 20.2 mpg on the highway, no matter how careful I use the gas pedal.

I think that number of 26 mpg highway is just baloney!

Btw, what is this "average MPH" thing? My wife saw something like 33 MPH the other day and didn't really understand what that meant. Neither do I.

Can some offer an explanation?

Thanks,

Ed

My 2007 edge never gets past 20.2 mpg on the highway, no matter how careful I use the gas pedal.

Btw, what is this "average MPH" thing? My wife saw something like 33 MPH the other day and didn't really understand what that meant. Neither do I.

Can some offer an explanation?

Thanks,

Ed

Average MPH is average speed. If you are averaging city speeds, expect city MPG.

If you hit a trip on which you average 50MPH, expect Highway MPG.

33MPH = city driving or slightly better. It's definitely not real highway speed. Either you don't spend as much time on the Highway as you believe or you idle your car for long periods bringing your averages down.

I get a combined 20.2 right now, but I drive in LA Rush Hour and average about 30-35MPH

• 3 months later...

The average speed display is somewhat confusing.

Is there a starting point to calculate the average speed or does the calculation span the lifetime of the car? Is it possible to reset this display and start at a certain point? For example, if I enter a freeway and drive there for several hours or so and the display can be set to zero at the start, shouldn't it display the average highway speed along with the respective mpg figure and not take all the stops and slow speed before the highway entry into account?

Thanks,

Ed

The average speed display is somewhat confusing.

Is there a starting point to calculate the average speed or does the calculation span the lifetime of the car? Is it possible to reset this display and start at a certain point? For example, if I enter a freeway and drive there for several hours or so and the display can be set to zero at the start, shouldn't it display the average highway speed along with the respective mpg figure and not take all the stops and slow speed before the highway entry into account?

Thanks,

Ed

Yes you can reset it whenever you want. when you get to the screen it should say to "hold ok to reset"

Interesting because my '07 got about 20 mpg on a day trip that I logged over 410 miles. It was a combination of highway and rural back roads. I didn't reset the avg MPH (wish I had now) but I would guess that the majority of the trip was highway in excess of 80 MPH and back roads at 65-70 MPH. Based on the time it took me I averaged about 52 MPH going (hit morning rush hour on the way out) and 68 MPH on the ride home (made sure I was after rush hour). I'm not light on the pedal either...

Just noticed you are from TX...could the TX heat have anything to do with your mileage experience?

Edited by carbonedge+

• 2 months later...

I have 2012 V6 Edge and bought it for the sticker gas mileage 18/25. We are easy on pedal and do half highway half town, our average showing on dashboard is 17!!

We should all file a lawsuit at small claim courts against Ford for misleading us. Look what happen to Honda - they lost it and paid $10K

• Like 1

I have 5,000 miles on my 11 v6. I get 19.8-21.1 in town and 23.5-25.5 on the highway. Out of curiosity those of you with the issues do you use cruise? Highway is usually at 72mph. Also weight plays a roll in mpg. Also switching lanes are you quick and sharp or do you take your time? Also listen to your motor are you on roads with hills? does it down shift a lot? I also have the 18's with Michelin's. Tires and wheel size as well as pressure play a huge roll as well.

we averaged 21.2 (double-checked and it was actually 22.1mpg) on our trip from destin to orlando and back and i had my cruise set on 79 mph the entire time that i was on the interstate, but there was some city driving mixed in as well. on the flatter sections of interstate the live mpg figures were closer to 24mpg, and if i had gone 74 or so i can imagine getting 23-24 on the interstate. correct me if i'm wrong but highway and interstate driving aren't the same. highway speed for me is 55-65, which is what i think the government uses to rate mpg figures. at that speed i can see the edge easily getting 26mpg. tire pressure makes a huge difference with gas mileage as well, always check the pressures if you think there is an issue with mpg.

Edited by mpt1981

I have 2012 V6 Edge and bought it for the sticker gas mileage 18/25. We are easy on pedal and do half highway half town, our average showing on dashboard is 17!!

We should all file a lawsuit at small claim courts against Ford for misleading us. Look what happen to Honda - they lost it and paid $10K

I was suprised at the outcom of the case.

Isn't there a disclaimer on all window stickers that basically say that your mileage may vary? Options, driving habits and condition of vehicle all effect fuel economy. Terrain also plays a part.

My brother lives near the gulf coast in south Texas. He gets the same fuel economy in his old heavy Chevy Caprice as he does in his minivan when on the highway because there aren't any hills to climb.

I was suprised at the outcom of the case.

Isn't there a disclaimer on all window stickers that basically say that your mileage may vary? Options, driving habits and condition of vehicle all effect fuel economy. Terrain also plays a part.

IIRC the issue wasn't advertised EPA mileage vs. actual. The problem was as the hybrid batteries aged the mileage went down considerably. Meaning if they reran the EPA tests they wouldn't get anywhere near the EPA results. In other words - it was impossible to reach the EPA mileage even if you drove exactly like the EPA tests.

As long as you can replicate the EPA tests and get the same results then it's not an issue.

What vehicle did you drive previously (make/model/drivetrain/year) and what was your average mpg?

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area. Your mileage can vary a lot based on many factors. My observation is based on my 2008 edge that I had for three years and and my 2011 that I have had for almost 15 months.

mileage trends downward 1 to 2 mpg with these conditions

1. outside air temperature, When the temp falls below 60deg

2. moisture like rain or fog.

3. running AC in city traffic. Running AC while cruizing down the interstates seems to not affect it at all.

4. side winds or head winds above 25mph

5. speeds above 70mph.

Yes I know that will cover just about all possibilities in the real world but these engines are so fine tuned that it doesn't seem to take much to affect the mileage. My best mileage ever was on the 2008 edge running down I40 in August from Albuequerque, NM to Amarillo, TX running at 75mph, AC on, 3 people and luggage. the actual mpg was 30.0. That was just one tankful.

Attachments are the actual mileage sheets for both vehicles.

edge2011.rtf

edge2008.rtf

• 1 month later...

Attached photo is my 2007 Ford Edge SEL getting what I believe is pretty decent MPG based on temperature and other factors. My Edge is running a K&N CAI on 22x9 Rims [265x40xR22]. I have the SCT X3 Tuner but did not have the vehicle tuned for this trip from Orlando to Jacksonville. My wife and I took a trip up for the weekend to hang out on our boat and this is in about 85 degree weather with about 10-15mph head winds on Interstate 95. This was using cruise control as well and in the picture it shows 22.9 but at times it reached about 23.6 but never going below 21.5. The vehicles gas gauge is sitting on FULL in this photo and I was about 90 miles into my trip!! If i drove how I normally do, id be a quarter of a tank less by now. I really am impressed with how I saved gas this weekend.. Especially seeing how high gas prices are.

Edit: As far as luggage, we had two duffle bags, fishing tackle box and a fishing pole. Two passengers my wife and I and our 19lb puggle Marley! AC was on and in the A/C bracket [NOT MAX AC] and was switched between speeds 1 and 3 depending on if needed to quickly cool the inside down.. AC was not on recirculate.

post-20792-0-07899000-1333378491_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eatinitup

• 1 month later...

With the trend to much larger wheels and tires (it started in 07 with 17" wheels and tires, and we are now at 22"), the weight has gone up. This has not helped the ride, performance or fuel economy. Now it is possible to supply very light 22" wheels and tires, but you would not want to pay for those and the tires would not hold up for long.

My 07 AWD Edge gets about 21 mpg on the highway, but if I keep it down to about 60 mph the mpg's go up to about 24. Doing 85 on my way down to Fl last summer it dove down to about 18 MPG.

Ford will have to put the Edge on a strict diet to meet coming Federal fuel economy requirements. But it is classified as a truck so the stricter limits may not apply.

Edited by Feirstein