How do I add fuel injector cleaner??

CaptKirk

Seems like a real silly question. But, this is the first car I have had with the "capless" fuel system. So, I went to pour the bottle in and it ends up running all over the ground............ How do you get the "flap" to open to get this in the tank?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Seems like a real silly question. But, this is the first car I have had with the "capless" fuel system. So, I went to pour the bottle in and it ends up running all over the ground............ How do you get the "flap" to open to get this in the tank?

Thanks,

-Kirk

My Edge has a plastic funnel that is stowed near the spare tire. Use it when trying to pour gas or whatever into the tank.

Is this with only new fords that you have to use a funnel? My 07 has no such funnel and I can pour into without a funnel.. Just pop the top and guzzle it in.. It has two holes at the bottom of the opening to gas tunnel and allows it to funnel in.. Never drops any on the ground!

Serious Question: Is it that Ford recommends against it because they would rather charge you 300$ to do a full engine flush for you??

More likely because the way engine's are controlled to such a fine degree these days, any disturbance in the fuel supply could cause hiccups, stumbles or other issues.

I don't know why anyone would want to put fuel injector cleaner into a 2011 vehicle, might as well take your dollar bills and throw them out the window as you drive down the highway.

Is this with only new fords that you have to use a funnel? My 07 has no such funnel and I can pour into without a funnel.. Just pop the top and guzzle it in.. It has two holes at the bottom of the opening to gas tunnel and allows it to funnel in.. Never drops any on the ground!

That's just it - there is no top to pop on the newer vehicles - they're capless and they have an anti-tamper feature - thus the need to use the supplied funnel to add gas or other additives.

Serious Question: Is it that Ford recommends against it because they would rather charge you 300$ to do a full engine flush for you??

Serious answer: this wouldn't work even if FORD wanted to do it because FORD doesn' t make a DIME on an engine flush.

Ford recommends against it because it could actually damage the engine and it's simply not necessary. Stop being so paranoid.

Speaking of additives. I wouldn't have believed this if i didn't experience it myself. My friend added just a hair under 2 oz., of pure acetone to his fuel fill up before we took a 128 mile trip in his 2008 Edge limited. We arrive in Atlantic City and our end mileage was 30.8MPG! My last Edge was a 2008 Limited, so I know that the best mileage I ever got on that trip was 24-25MPG by my calculation. I did some reading on this and it seems like lots of people are doing it. Just thought i'd throw it in...

Speaking of additives. I wouldn't have believed this if i didn't experience it myself. My friend added just a hair under 2 oz., of pure acetone to his fuel fill up before we took a 128 mile trip in his 2008 Edge limited. We arrive in Atlantic City and our end mileage was 30.8MPG! My last Edge was a 2008 Limited, so I know that the best mileage I ever got on that trip was 24-25MPG by my calculation. I did some reading on this and it seems like lots of people are doing it. Just thought i'd throw it in...

Check this out--- and dream on!

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp

I was wondering the same thing about the capless. I like to use dry gas and wasn't able to add that. My edge has quite a bit of water coming out of the exhaust....

Water is a natural product of an internal combustion engine. Nothing is wrong.

• 1 year later...

Lol. Funny thread. I always wondered if it's really worth adding these additives to the fuel system. What do you all think. Is it worth adding these or should got may go and give your money away for free? I hear it can damage stuff. Has there been any tests done of this or is it all speculation?

Edited by 2011edgese

What gas do you normally put in, Marty? I am curious because most name brand gasolines usually have their own set of additives, and should not require additional cleaning (in theory!). For me, Exxon gas works quite well compared to Shell, Costco or any other brand in my area. Premium gives an added punch over regular, tho octane rating of regular may be suspect due to tank conditions and ethanol in the mix.

On SiriusXM they run commercials for BG fuel cleaner and then another company...forget which one...runs commercials basically calling out those BG commercials saying that additives aren't necessary.

I did add Lucas fuel cleaner to my 2005 Mariner every time I did an oil change but I never really noticed any increase in MPG...even when I replaced the fuel filter.

I don't think I'll be adding anything to the fuel on my Edge.

Techron is one of the best fuel system additives you can use in my opinion. GM recommends their own product when needed, and it is just Techron in a different bottle with a different name. Techron is highly regarded on some other forums, including Bob is the oil guy, one of the best sites to learn about oil, fuel, additives, etc.

Ford may not make a penny on engine flushes, etc, but the dealerships sure do! Why do you think they push fuel system cleaning, throttle body cleaning, motor flushes, etc so much? It is almost pure profit! I posted about my recent experience where during the oil change, the service adviser said I needed a throttle body cleaning based on mileage (25000)! They never even looked at the throttle body!

I put in a bottle of Techron right before every oil change and run at least one full tank of gas before the change. Never had any problems with injectors, throttle body, etc in the past. What's the difference for owners who use premium fuel when the manual specifically says it is not required (except maybe when towing), or those of use who use a fuel additive as a preventative maintenance step? We both might be tossing money out the window, but I believe I am receiving a real benefit and don't mind the $8.00 or so every 5000 miles.

• Like 1

In the states that sell chevron gas with techron the rental cars always run better after 1 tank full,

I had and Audi 5000s that i only ran premium in after speaking to another owner that said it calls for regular,I switched and found cold weather starts much faster than with the premium, Marty

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing about the capless. I like to use dry gas and wasn't able to add that. My edge has quite a bit of water coming out of the exhaust....

it's most likely because it's cold out and the hot exhaust causes condensation in the exhaust pipe, save your money it's normal

• 6 years later...